Join our email list →

Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 9.40% ABV

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,355 | Hads: 10,059
4.61/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I am supposed to enjoy this one by "12/21/12". Thanksgiving is the best I can do.

A-Pours a crystal clear watered gold color. Head is about an inch thick. It retains with commendable stamina. Head is off-white and leaves slithery lacing. Stone makes the prettiest beers.

S-Nose is a 5. Big and exotic. Dripping, dank, hempy hops. I think I smell some Nelson Sauvin here. A trident of citrus, herbs and grass. A hint of honey covered cracker malt. But this is a 100% hop showcase. This hop combo ranks among my all time favorites. Pineapple all over the place. Love it!

T-Rarely do I take a second to sit back and respect a beer's scrumptiousness. This is one of those times. This has got to have some Nelson Sauvin in here (my favorite hop). It starts off citrus then bends into pineapple. The pineapple becomes grass, which becomes marijuana, which becomes flower petals, which becomes fresh cut grass,which becomes sticky pine. I could easily continue.

M-Buzzing bubbles. The body feels lighter than a beer that is a hair behind 10%. Dry and aggressively bitter. Feels like liquid gold.

O/D-I have had some great hoppy beers by Stone. I have also had some subpar hoppy Stone brews. This one might be the best. It is reminiscent of Heady Topper and several Hill Farmstead brews I have tried. I swear that they have some Nelson Sauvin hops in there. Regardless of the applied hop varietals; this flavor is the in the same vein as my all time favorites. Hey Stone, GOOD JOB!

4.61/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy By 2-15-13. Deep gold color, very clear. Medium white foam head, holds decently. Light, streamy carbonation. The bouquet on this beer is just heavenly. Deliciously fresh citric hops hit the nose with a piney, almost peppery bite. This is much reminiscent of an Alpine style IPA. I've been waiting for Stone to wow me like this for some time now. This beer is 9.4%? It's hard to tell, as I smell all hops and very little malt character or alcohol.

The taste has dominant orange and grapefruity hop twang. A light sweet balance from the malt is nice, though it's relatively clean and allows the hops to shine through. Moderate bitterness at the back, I don't really taste too much alcohol but there definitely is some warmth. The mouthfeel is nice, mostly clean with fine zesty carbonation, perhaps slightly syrupy though.

The hop bitterness is now lingering excellently. This is a fantastic west coast IPA, and being so fresh is imperative. I've felt like Stone needed to keep up with some of the amazing IPA's from the likes of Alpine or Russian River, and this beer can do that. Hopefully this will be available from time to time as I will be sure to pick it up whenever I see it. Highly recommended.

4.61/5  rDev +4.8%

This is the 12/21/12 version imbibed on tap at Tony's Darts Away & Original Gravity SJ. This is a review of the OG pour. Also consumed from bottle, negligible difference imho.

This is a clear copper brew, shiny beneath a dense white head that dissipates quickly. Lacing is not what I expected, but it may be because this was served colder than normal. To say the hop aroma is strong would be an understatement. The biggest aroma is pine, but there's some grapefruit, floral, and lemon notes in there too. If there's a malt aroma, it's buried deep beneath all the hops, as it should be in my opinion. After a swirl, I get a solid biscuit aroma. The taste starts off coppery with white bread crust. The hop flavor is dominant as well: very vinous, earthy, and somewhat grassy. Bitterness comes smoothly, but it's unmistakably oppressive. There is some spiciness in the bitterness too, perhaps from Amarillo. Beer finishes coppery, earthy, and vinous. The taste delivers what the aroma promises. After all that, I thought: "what about the malt?" As in every good Triple IPA, this malt is just a stage for the hops. It's reminiscent of white bread and unseasoned oatmeal. The feel is balanced and finish dry. Although it's not malty, this is surprisingly balanced. This is a damn fine brew. Dare I say in line with Pliny!

Drank the Enjoy By 10/25/13 IPA on 10/15/13

a- light copper with a light foamy white head.

s- Beautiful! Tons of tangerine, grapefruit, pineapple, citrus and hops galore! It even has this unique sour candy aroma that is extremely pleasant!

t- Bitterness on the tip of the tongue that quickly fades to the sweeter citrus side of the beer making it well balanced to say the least. Afterwards the bitterness comes back and lingers alongside a decent floral pine.

m- Medium bodied, perfectly carbonated

o-Phenomenal double IPA! Get it if you can. This beer is probably my favorite IPA alongside Greenflash, and dogfish head 90min IPA.

i will get more before 10/25/13

Stone Brewing Enjoy by 10.25.13 IPA

Appearance: pale amber, small head, and some light lacing.

Smell: heavy hops, light grapefruit, and a faint lemon.

Taste: mellow bitter hops and a light grapefruit.

Mouthfeel: incredible and bitter.

Overall:
The aroma is potently hop but once it touches your tongue, the feel gives you a slight bite, finishing with a smoothness. This is very well balanced. The taste seems subdued compared to the aroma.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Bomber poured into tumbler.

*Enjoy by 4/20/14, bottled on 3/13/14, consumed on 3/22/14.*

A: Pours an ever-so-slightly hazy honey amber with a commendable two-finger head that retains for ages. Eventually dwindles down to a creamy cap, but leaves ABSURD amounts of lacing down the glass. The head retention is a bit weaker than I had hoped, but it's still a gorgeous bit of eye candy, nonetheless.

S: Oh my god, where do I even begin? This is just an absolute perfect display of American hops and what a DIPA should smell like. It's floral, piney, citrusy, dank, rustic as hell, and just... pure, unadulterated fresh hop perfection! It did get a little too boozy in the nose as it warmed up, but it's not too much of an issue.

T: The flavors pretty much follow the nose inch for inch, except for the fact that the malt backbone is present in the initial sip. A little bit of honeybread sweetness teases you before you're absolutely piledrived through the floor by the hop rampage. Did I mention malts somewhere? Because I seem to have forgotten their existence... An absolute barrage of everything hoppy. Grapefruit and orange citrus notes, followed by some rustic pine, grass, and floral flavors, eventually finishing in pure earthen bitterness that leaves the palate screaming for m(ercy)ore.

M: Closer to a full-body with the perfect level of carbonation. Not as creamy as some DIPAs, which isn't really a disappointment. It made it almost too easy to drink, though. The only thing slowing me down from pounding this was my absolute respect for the brew and its complexity, along with how warm my face was feeling halfway through.

O: This is admittedly my first experience with a Stone Enjoy By xx/xx/xx IPA and it has absolutely changed the way I look at life. I've had good IPAs in the past, but never anything this fresh, this complex, this perfectly crafted. Stone Enjoy By, I feel, has ruined me... because now as soon as the next release is mentioned, I'm going to be flailing like a madman trying to get my hands on a bottle or two. I hate to sound too much like a fanboy, but this has honestly been an experience like no other.

Enjoy By 12-26-14

A - crystal clear bright amber orange, frothy one inch plus whit head with great lacing.

S - Dank oranges, citrus, piney......perfect balance of the three.

T - DANK tropical fruit, DANK lemony orange, clean pine.

M - explosive hops, very fresh and good carbonation.

O - Hoppy, Clean, Dank, Awesome........I love this beer and always look forward to the MA release.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this rated close to a 5 until I tried the 12.26.14 version... really didn't hit the spot for me. Don't know why it wasn't so bright and vibrant like the other versions I've had. Maybe this was a fluke and didn't turn out the way they intended.

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap 5 days old. Not bad for being in New Jersey.

A - Clear and golden in appearance. Huge frothy head, probably because it's the first pour from the keg. The lacing this leaves is fantastic.

S - Mostly pine and citrus. Some tropical fruit. I can definitely smell the Nelson hops they used for dry hopping. No alcohol or malt presence to speak of.

T - Nice level of bitterness. Citrus and pine again dominant in taste. There's a hint of tropical fruit as well. Some peach in there too. Big bitterness on the finish. Supposedly they added all the hops late in the process, but it's definitely still got a lingering bitterness. By the end of my first pour I had a long lingering bitterness. Great stuff. Making my mouth water, which not many IPAs can do at this point. This is truly a delicious IPA.

M - Really smooth. No alcohol presence. Nice level of carbonation, I'd say medium. Goes down really easily.

O - This doesn't disappoint. I wish Stone could've gotten Ruination 10 to me in less than over 2 months, because I can't really compare. This is definitely less malty IMO, with a great hop variety. They're the 2 best beers I've had from Stone. I don't think this can disappoint any hop head. I've had better IPAs, but this is definitely up there.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Falls off fast - was fantastic when it first got here but the one I had this week (still before 4/20) was not good but I look forward to the next round.

Review By 9.13.13

A: nice light golden body, pours a nice frothy snow white head that laces quite nicely. moderate transparency.

S: enormous blast of pine resin and hops right out of the gate... assaulting the nose.. beautiful balance with a light burnt sugar malt backbone. big citrus and grapefruit dance along the side. this is terrific

T: following the nose, pine, big hop bitterness, grapefruit, orange peel, sugary malt.nice balance. no alcohol heat on the palate, but definitely warming in the stomach

M: a bit lighter than i was expecting, nice carbonation, leaves a powerful hop bitterness on the palate, dry finish

O: excellent brew. absolutely terrific for hopsheads. a must try.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Stone's good, good for you, good to the last drop. I didn't realize but apparently the r Enjoy by series makes its varying appearance in different states at different times of the year, and that explains why it took a couple months for me to get my hands on one after the 12.21.12 which made its appearance at Beermageddon 2013.

To be honest I'm glad I didn't try it, not only would it have been old, but the 4.1.13 that I got a hold of was fantastic. I had mine in mid-march (sorry for the late review, but I'm getting the 5.18.13 Enjoy by via N'awlins soon so I wanted to compare my notes), and I felt like I should have worked up a good sweat before trying this thirst quenching IPA.

The appearance was a transparent amber haze, and the smell was pure hops- very forest like. The taste was good like I said refreshing, tingling the taste buds wanting more. The mouthfeel did have an odd but refining quality, but the after taste was lingering one that wouldn't go away even after popcorn. All and all, decent, get it if you can, I'd give it a 93/100

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Saw this and grabbed it immediately. Been a while since I've reviewed anything from Stone.

Pours a bright gold with a huge white head into my glass. It looks like it would tingle the taste buds and probably more.

Grassy and full of citrus notes from the hops. West coast! The only other thing I can think of that's hoppier than this is Heady.

Wow. Very pleasant and bursting with juicy hop goodness. Citrus, pine, etc. Mango? Either way, it doesn't disappoint in the hops dept.

Lingering grassy, citrus and pine flavors. Like freshly-mowed grass. Very fresh too. I assume it's the 2nd most recent batch (bottle says 4/12/13).

Stone should keep doing this with limited batches of beer. It might make more sense and cut back on the beer that lingers on shelves for months. They have the beer dating thing down pat and detailed info on the batches.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the 02.14.15. Clear with a nice layer of head. Smell of juicy citrus with a taste to match. Unlike other citrusy/juicy ipas, this has a nice bite of hops towards the end. Great beer all around...always excited to try the enjoy by variety's.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served in a flute, batch "by 4/01/13".

Appearance: golden amber with a very light hazy body. Head is subtle considering its off the tap maybe 1/3" off the body. This brew did settle nice and even with steady lacing.

Smell: aroma overload with grapefruit and hops that make your nostrils wish you could take this home.

Taste: extreme hops complimented with a bitterness overload that comes off very citrusy. I am absolutely indulging in the taste alone.

Mouth: medium carbonation, might come slightly light wish it was a little heavier but it's everlasting stickiness is incredible.

Overall: here at the bar enjoying one of the best "new" imperial IPAs I have had in a long time. Little expensive but honestly I have had so many DIPAs that this seems priceless. Salud!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Ratings for the 2/14/15 batch.

I've heard that it's always the same formula, but I have no knowledge of my own on this. Good beer, though I wasn't as crazy about it as some people were.

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

09.13.13

A- Amazing, medium golden to near red in thicker parts of the glass. It's crystal clear. Thick white head that diminishes in about two minutes but some remnants remain.

S- If there is a weak point to the beer, this is it. The hops smell surprisingly understated while I get more caramel and grain aromas.

T- Pine and mild floral hopping jump right out at you. Pay a little more attention and I found a bit of crystal malt back their. I would not say that this is an super complex beer but the hopping clearly utilized multiple additions. Basically, the whole beer is meant to be a platform for the hops... as it damn well should.

M- Medium body. Medium-high carbonation adds to drinkability and increases perception of hops. Very well done in my opinion. I never have much to say about mouth feel.

O- I really like this beer. I'd buy it again. If I could improve one thing it would be making the grain bill more pronounced but hey, its an IPA.

4.6/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Enjoy by 09.13.13. bottled on 08.09.13. poured into tulip.

A: pours pretty clear. I would say a deep golden hue. really great clarity for a DIPA. frothy bright white head has great retention and leaves a good deal of lacing on the way down.

S: after the initial pour this smells like copious amounts of hop oils. definitely grapefruit, definitely pine. a lot of hop resins here. all about the hops. very American. wouldn't hate for some malt balance, but that would be tough to compete with all this resin.

T: a bit of bubblegum. virtually no grain presence. really resiny on the back-end. not overwhelmingly bitter in the finish, a little during the drink though. I mean it is there, but not as much as most brews of this hop magnitude. a bit of alcohol burn too.

M: pretty mellow carb. tingly. full bodied for sure. works.

D: really tasty stuff from Stone. I love how much this beer demands fresh consumption. I am sure it is quite the challenge for their distribution staff and network, so that gets extra points in my book.

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%

Serving type: Bottle. 4/20/14. Poured into a tulip glass.

Great golden yellow coloration. Pure white 1/4" head. Slightly cloudy.

Nose immediately picks up citrus and fruity aromas ; definitely lives up to the "devastatingly dank" hype labeled on the neck of the bottle.

Extremely flavorful and emulates the aroma of the beer. Bold citrus flavors are elevated above the bitterness often associated with IPAs. A little "sting" is pervasive throughout each sip from the relatively high alcohol content, but it only adds to the dept of this beer's flavor profile.

Not necessarily full, but not light by any stretch of the imagination. Carbonation provides that iconic tingly sensation on the lips with each swig. Only issue here is that it took away from the initial flavor of the beer; all you could feel was tingling and couldn't even register the front-end of the flavor.

Absolutely fantastic Double IPA that, even bottled, is the personification of what this style of beer should be. It was a fresh beer that stands apart from the rest of Stone's line-up, which is generally overrated and readily available at many bars and liquor stores in my general area. I would recommend this specific brew to anyone that enjoys hoppy beers.

Stone Enjoy By 2-14-14

A- Clear with Amber highlights. Head dissipates quickly.

S-Like a clementine. Sweet fruit with a hint of citrus at the end.

T-Sticky like citrus honey with a clean bitterness at the end.

M-Lighter carbonation, but that might be because it is out of a growler.

Overall this is an excellent IPA. Alcohol sweetness with a clearly defined hop flavor.

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 10.31.15. Pours the typical, crystal clear west coast style. A light golden honey color with an off-white, eggshell color. The smell is super fruity and tropical, guava, peach, pineapple, onion and garlic sweetness, mango, marijuana dankness, pine, grapefruit rind, honey malts. Nice balance and a great aftertaste, not too bitter. Its like drinking the leftover juices from the fruit salad deluxe from a company christmas party. Lots of tropical fruit, pineapple, mango, passionfruit, guava, citrus, dank resinous qualities, bubblegum, candied orange, clean malt sweetness. Haven't had this beer for a while but it was a great reunion. Only picked up a single 12 oz. bottle but its enough to hold me over until the next batch comes around.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy By 12.26.14, Clear golden-amber pour with a foamy white two finger head with good retention and great lacing. Sticky, resiny hops dominate the nose along with hints of grapefruit, pine, tropical fruit, orange peel, and subtle green onion. The taste mirrors the nose with dank, resiny, earthy, fresh picked hops along with hints of pine, orange peel, grapefruit, tropical fruit, green onions, and just enough sweet caramel malt to keep it honest. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, subtly chewy, and extremely oily with a mouth-puckering crisp, dry, bitter finish. Overall, I've been trying to get my hands on this beer for quite a while, and it did not disappoint. Incredibly fresh and bold and every bit as good as Heady or Pliny! Highly recommended!

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2.14.15

S-quite dank for my liking, but I supposed this constrast to the taste provides interest and appeal
A-golden cleat and light, white head that dissipates to nothing eventually, nice amount of lacing
M-carbonation right on and does not detract from bitterness and other enjoyable qualities of this beer
T-is it Citra? Mosaic? Simcoe? One of those three comes out to play, I think it's Citra, but I am far from a connaisure. Great IIPA, very drinkable too bad it 'expires'! Highly recommend.

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%

Hats off to my brother deranma for bringing this over! Enjoy by 12.21.12...

Bright, clear copper with a mediocre head that reduces to a frothy ring around the glass.

Big mango and pineapple on first whiff. Pine and grapefruit as well. It even smells like its going to be sweet. Herbal grassiness beyond the fruit aromas. A whirl of it brings just enough caramel to remind me there are malts in it too.

As soon as it hit my tongue I thought it was going to be really sweet from all of the tropical fruit flavors, then it finishes smooth with a hint of bitterness and a warmth of alcohol. I know its intentional, but I actually wish for a bit more bitterness.

Smooth as can be and drinks like a pale ale. Excellent carbonation.

This beer is a sensory experience for sure. A must try, although if you dont have it already, you probably wont be trying it. I was lucky to get a share of this. Hope you get to try it too.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got my hands on an EnjoyBy! Bottled 9/20/13, just screaming freshness.

Appearance: Pours a golden orange with two fingers of foamy whitish head that fades relatively quickly, leaving beautiful lacing.

Smell: Just lovely, with tons of tropical fruit, predominately grapefruit and pineapple with lots of citrus. A good deal of Stone-style west coast hop bitterness and piney aromas come through as well. Freshness is evident here.

Taste: Beautiful strong citrus, with the grapefruit and pineapple of the aroma and some mango as well. Despite this, a great deal of pine and grass come through to strike a remarkably balanced DIPA.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with perfect carbonation and solid hop bitterness. A bit of heat, and a nice crisp dry finish.

Overall: Absolutely fantastic, and I'm glad I finally got to try this one. Great beer and I hope we get it again.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.