Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,307 | Hads: 9,808
4.59/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A - Crystal clear solid gold body. Creamy cap of white foam has nice retention and ok lace.

S - Bright, funky green hop. Plant stems, root beer, cilantro, bubblegum.

T - Bold and incredibly smooth. Green hops, honeyed tarragon, dandelion, lemon zest, resiny rosemary.

M - Awesome mouthfeel. Silky smooth, full frame, perfectly balanced carbonation.

O - This beer starts fantastic and gets better as you go. Great flavor and incredible mouthfeel. Well worth the hype.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I've had many variants of this, this particular review is based on Enjoy By 4.20.15.

A: Dark orange, see through with a nice finger of head.
S: Mango, pineapple, grapefruit, some danky garlic/onion in the background. Some sweet background notes from the malt.
T: Pop of bitterness right up front. Little bit spicy in the middle mouth with garlic/onion notes mentioned before. Lots of grapefruit and orange peel.
M: Full bodied with a dry finish. Nice carbonation that complements the taste well.
O: Great offering everytime I have it. The fresher the better!

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%

Purchased this morning, enjoyed this evening.
From bottle to Stone pint glass.

A: Very nice golden color with solid lacing.

S: Very fruity scent with piney undertones.

T: The hops come across both very floral-y but also have a nice bitter hop finish. Very smooth and enjoyable flavor

M: Nice light carbonation.

O: Great hoppy IPA. Nice overall flavor with a combination of floral, piney, bitter hop characteristics.

4.59/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a golden orange with an almost gray ring of head.\r\n\r\nS: Nose is utterly dominated by tangerine, fresh orange and other similar fruits, with just a touch of simcoey garlic.\r\n\r\nT: Fresh orange juice, citrus peel, onion, tangerine, tropical fruit, papaya. Delicious.\r\n\r\nM: Full bodied and smoother than your average IPA.\r\n\r\nO: By far my favorite beer from Stone. Uncharacteristic of them, hop-profile-wise, and that is a massive plus for me.\r\n\r\nNote: My version was best by 2.15.13, and I had it a couple days after this particular batch\'s release (It wasn\'t even on the shelf yet).

look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy by 4.20.13. Drank out of a tulip glass on 3.28.13, so this should be plenty fresh.

A: Medium head dissipates somewhat after the original pour, but the light head that remains has very good retention. Incredible lacing. Extremely clear - probably one of the clearest ales I've ever seen. The color is very inviting - an amber/golden affair with a tinge of orange that looks just delicious. I rarely give out "5"s in any category for any beer, but this beer absolutely deserves a 5 for appearance.

S: Others have commented on the resin nose on this beer, but the batch I drank (4.20) is much more fruity than resiny. I get alot of tropical fruits - pineapple, mango, grapefruit and a little hint of lemon. There's a little pine going on in the background, as well as some slightly floral notes. Powerful aroma overall. Much fruitier than I expected.

T: Initial taste is more subdued than you would expect. Floral and fruity with a hint of bitterness but not the overpowering hop flavor that you would expect from a DIPA. That is, before the pine and grassy flavors really kick in mid-sip. As expected, lingering piney bitterness remains on the tongue well after drinking. A decent - not exceptional - malt backbone on this.

M: Surprisingly full for an IPA during drinking. Must be some Special B in this sucker. Finish is dry dry dry.

O: I am definitely not a hop-head but I had to try this beer after hearing so much about it. Overall, I'm happy with it. What impresses me the most is the complicated hop flavor of this beer. Most DIPA's are strongly bitter....and that's it. This beer, while definitely bitter, is not nearly as harshly bitter as most DIPAs. The hop characteristic in particular is more complex than expected - fruity and floral with a nice resin base. I find DIPAs disappointingly one-note - I think this is the first that I would buy again. Nice job Stone.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

enjoy by 7.4.14 650ml poured into snifter. enjoyed 6/17/14 so half way to "expiry"

nice citrus and floral nose. has some slight bitterness on the nose. really hop forward taste, loads of citrus, floral notes, and a slightly bitter and astringent finish. also notice an odd flavor I cant pinpoint in there but it doesnt detract from the fact that this "devastatingly fresh" ipa is ridiculously good. thanks to @64vdub for the hookup!

Enjoy by 10.31.14 opened 10.20.14 at Craft Beer Market with Jodi from the Stone sales team. Much like the previous with a nice malt profile, gteat citrus taste and not a harsh bitterness

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%

I had the 12/2013 version. I've never really been blown away by a beer like this. Color and appearance was good (orange-gold), smell was nice (floral? it was a while ago)... but the flavor! The sheer ecstasy of this brew's first greeting to my taste buds seared itself into my mind and to this day has yet to let go. An incredibly balanced blend of citrus (orange, tangerine), warm bread, spices and hops... every flavor in perfect proportion, bold and up front and yet somehow sharing the stage equally with all the other elements going on - absolutely divine! If you ever see this, buy as much as you can and share it with good friends quickly.

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy By 4/20/14
Had a few other ones, all fantastic. Figured I'd finally give it a review. Serving type: 22oz bomber poured into my Tree House Brewing tulip

A: Super clear orange. Very small head. Decent lacing

S: Even through a cold, DANK is delivered as promised. Smells like I'm smelling a bag of hops. Pine, grapefruit....big delicious hop aromas.

T: WOW. Big flavor without being bitter or overpowering with the hops. Tropical fruits, grapefruit, pine. Again, not overpowering or super bitter. Delicious. Sweetness, but not cloying. Big flavors all around, but the balance is unreal. Found that as it warms up, the tropical flavors and aroma come forward a lot more. Fantastic.

M: Perhaps a bit overcarbonated at first, but not bad at all. Medium mouthfeel, a bit thicker than a lot of IPAs. Surprised at how dry it finishes with the amount of sweetness it has.

O: Just a fantastic beer. Have had 3 or 4 of the Enjoy By series, and they all impress me. A perfect example of what an IPA should be, at least to me. I love them like this, big tropical fruit, with enough bitterness to know it's there.

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed in a 20 oz Beer Club Member glass at Mellow Mushroom in Southlake, TX. Pours a cloudy amber color with two finger head that slowly dissipates and 20 minutes later remains to create lacing. Lots of floral notes in the nose. The taste is surprisingly balanced - I was expecting my taste buds to get knocked around by the hops, but they survived. The alcohol is well hidden so be careful!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Citrus bomb! Mango, mango, mango.....crisp, hoppy, piney finish...this is a classic! This was the Enjoy By 3-14-15. So far every Enjoy By has a nice citrus base with a crisp, hoppy mouthfeel. I've also had the Enjoy by 7-4-15 which wasn't as juicy.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Received the bottle of "02.15.13" in a trade from Jeremy6566. Poured from a bomber bottle into my Deschutes tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear golden yellow color with a finger of off-white head that has some real staying power.

S - Big earthy hops in the initial smell. Sharp pine and pineapple lead the assult.

T/M - Big earthy hops come thru in the taste just as the smell suggests. The malt profile is pretty carmel-ey, and a little smokey...? I love the hoppy resinous aftertatse that stays with me. Medium slick mouthfeel, good carbonation.

O - Stone does IPAs like Ferarri does sportscars! This one, like many others from Stone, doesn't dissapoint at all. A hoppy DIPA that hits all the right notes. Alcohol isn't noticable at all. Great hop profile that's not shy to stick around for a while.

Thanks again to Jeremy6566 for sending this one my way! Cheers!

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

WOW...this beer is really really FRESH! i have never tasted a cleaner, crisper, more pure beer in my 2 years of enjoying craft beers. this brew is extremely bright and clear with a rocky head that laces all the way down the glass. the aroma is off the charts fresh and pungent...it goes beyond citrus rinds and gets into the meat of the fruit. the scent seemingly filled the entire room.
the taste was absolutely stunning. the hops popped on the tongue with a freshness and fullness that i have not tasted before. i LOVED schlafly TIPA this past winter, and this brew reminded me of tipa on steroids...everything was amplified. so much fruitiness, so many hops, and so little booziness...this brew simply disappeared from the glass with absolutely no effort on my part. if you want to introduce a friend to the world of double ipas, this is your gateway...i loved drinking this brew.

p.s. i finished the 22 oz bottle in one night and found myself more than a little dizzy,,,checked the abv and it was 9.4% would have NEVER guessed it!!! this stuff is eerily easy to drink,

4.58/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I bought this bottle online from Bringonthebeer.

A- it pours a crystal clear gold with a close to a 1 finger head of foam that seems to be shrinking slowly, leaving some lacing behind.

S- the aromas oozed out of the bottle when I popped the cap. Hoppy as all get out. Big grapefruit, decidedly bitter to the nth degree. Reminds me of a certain "triple" IPA, which shall remain nameless, that went above and beyond my comfort zone. This smells very oily with the hop presence..

T- laws yes..err...no. It's not at all like the other brew I didn't mention by name. Well, they are both VERY hoppy and bitter but this has an oily/fresh hop flavour that kills it. Light on the malt but not that light. Mid palate is where I notice it the most...a kind of earthy malt presence.

The rest is all the best of what hops can bring to the table and I "should" know. I have had some of the best thanks to online orders, TRADES, and what I can find off the shelf locally.

M- tongue stickingly great. Perfect carbo and body. The latter..woo, woo, woo!

O- I guess I kind of get what the hoopla is all about with Enjoy By. Yes.I.do!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle split and poured into a tulip. Enjoy By 04.01.13.

A: Pours a clear light golden with a dense white head. Fairly slow moving visible carbonation. A spotting of lacing.

S: Instantly hit with a blend of a variety of hops. Spiciness, floral, citrusy, earthy, nuggety smell. Mild malts in the background provide the Stone signature oomph.

T: Very tasty, a complex blend of hops with a fairly decent hop backing. Certainly a bold and bitter beer. Is there alcohol in this? A sweet bready/crackery malt comes through as it warms.

M: Medium body with a nice nectar like quality. Very easy drinking and quite a refreshing brew.

Overall an amazing beer that I am very happy to finally had a chance to try. Certainly very fresh. Quite possibly the best Stone beer and certainly worth the hype.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Batch No. 6 (Enjoy By 4/20/13)
Poured into a Duvel Tulip

Appearance: Pours an awe inspiring goldish amber with a 2 and a half finger tall thick, white foamy head that lasts forever. It leaves absolute curtains of lacing as it slowly recedes.

Aroma: Wow, what an absolute hop bomb! Big dank hops just positively leap out of the glass towards your nose as soon as you start to pour. Tropical hop notes up front; Pineapple, kiwi, suggestions of mango and papaya, and the typical grapefruit and pine needles. A soft and gentle malty sweetness provides some nice contrast to the nose.

Taste: As soon as the beer touches your tongue, the hops absolutely explode on to your palate; notes of grapefruit, oily and resinous pine, mangoes, juicy kiwis, cantaloupe, lemon and fresh picked red berries. There is a nice, slightly bread-y maltiness to help balance out this incredible hop monster. Finishes Superbly dry and bitter.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, moderate to high carbonation. Very Drinkable for 9.4%.

Overall: Wow, the closest beer that I have had to tasting like Pliny the Elder(gotta love the burnt plastic taste from the insane amount of drying hopping), while still maintaining it's own identity. It honestly reminds me of a more over the top Pliny with a stronger emphasis on the more tropical side of hops. The previous batch I had,"Enjoy By 2/15/13" tasted a bit less convoluted hop wise, but Stone really, really impressed me with this one. Still no Pliny killer/contender, but this is damn close. I'm definitely going to try to snag this FRESH as much as I possibly can!

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Overall, I feel that this beer series is amazing. I have now had two different of the Enjoy By brews. One was in a bottle and the other was on tap. Both times they were still good. They are definitely worth trying and I don't feel someone would be disappointed.

4.57/5  rDev +3.9%

This pours golden with a delicious looking creamy head. Where are the bubbles?! Very few are surfacing. I see through this and the body appears lighter than I would have guessed based on the abv.
Juicy citrus apricot hop greatness. Inviting pine and resin. This smells fresh and fantastic.
Tastes dank and and delicious. More oily pine than fruit in the taste, unlike the initial aroma of this brew. And with a spicy bitterness leading up to the finish, in a lemon-like way. Finishes more abruptly dry.
Smooth and prickly.
Highly enjoyed. Highly recommended.

12/21/12 bottled on 11/16, enjoying on 11/27/12
A: Moderate pour yields 1/2 finger white head with fair to good retention. Crystal clear brass/copper liquid. Pretty and practically perfect.
S: Wow. Dank. Orange, tangerine, grapefruit. Allium definitely, pine too. Ever so faint esters. So lushly hoppy! Amazing. Not man-candy, but so good.
T: Bitterness right up front is strong but quickly countered by a robust yet lightly bready malt base with a kiss of sweetness. Savory hop and piney too. Great balance between malt and hop-heavy tending towards the hops.
M: One downside is slight cloying. Bracing hoppiness finishes on the savory side. Breathy alcohol is also a negative.
O: One of the best beers of 2012. A terrific IPA. Glad to get this from Des Moines. I'll definitely drink it when it gets to MI! A testament to the value of freshness in IPAs.

Seventh batch -- Enjoy by May 17th

Crystal clear gold with an orange tint. Nice, foamy white head. The smell is simply intoxicating. I'm not sure I can verbalize fully; hard to distill the qualia.

Dank, citrus rind permeates my palate in the freshest and meanest way. The flavor is eye-rolling good -- wonderful balance of rich malts and a sexy melange of hop notes. Grapefruit, tropical fruits, and resins resonate throughout and are fully supported by an appropriate body and mouthfeel. Piquant grassy notes poke through here and there as well. Smooth and devilish for the ABV. Rich grains and toasty caramel notes play in the secondary. Prickly, peppery resin notes linger toward the finish, which is nice and dry. Medium to full-bodied and a sheer joy to drink.

Absolutely delicious. And I love the concept of promoting fresh beer; most beers do not need to sit in your 55 degree closet. So happy to find this release here in VA. Thanks to Bon Vivant in Smithfield for stocking this.

4.57/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

One of my all time favorite Double IPAs! The first batch I bought was 04.20.14 and I absolutely loved it. Currently, I am drinking the 07.04.14 for this review. It pours wonderfully with a light bronze color and thick foamy head. My first inhale hit me with a dank citrus, pine scent with undertones of an earthy, fruity base. The beer itself is smooth and round with a crisp bite of citrus. Its fresh, bold and I love it!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

-light color with a very creamy looking head with good cup lacing
-very bright hop scent light citrus/ tropical
- amazingly crisp hoppy beer, slight bitter bite at end
-perfect slight dryness leaves the mouth watering for more
- one of the best beers i have had in the ipa style

Enjoy by 10.25.13, consumed on 09.30.13

A: Very bright, crystal clear gold. No haze of any kind. Decent head that dissipated fairly quickly, nice lacing.

S: Huge tropical fruit, sweet citrus, as well as some underlying pine resin. Malt comes through as a neutral bready character with a little candy-like sweetness that binds with the hops. The aroma is explosive, intense even for the style.

T/M: Big, smooth hop bitterness that lingers all the way through, it is soon met with huge resiny tropical fruit, citrus and pine notes with underlying spicy, oniony complexities. The malt makes an appearance as well, giving a slightly sweet, bready backbone to the beer that works beautifully with the fruity hop notes. Hops just blast through the bone-dry finish.

Overall: Wow... wow. Big-time west-coast hop-bomb! The hops explode in this beer, and while that is getting more and more common, this one does it with incredible complexity and subtlety. You can pull out a huge array of hop flavors, and they all stand distinct, without a messy overall character. The balance is extraordinary, and that is an accomplishment in the West-Coast IPA style. The concept of this beer is awesome, get it to the customer as fast as possible and teach distributors about the importance of fresh IPAs. But, the execution was even better, Mitch Steele nailed this one.

4.57/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Definitely a piney smell and tasting imperial IPA.
I consider this as one of Stone's best creations to add to the list of top brews they create.
Taste: fairly muggy hoppy looking (classic IPA look), nothing out of the ordinary.
Smell: incredible piney with strong hoppy notes ( much more than their Stone IPA)
Taste: rush of quality hops up front, smooth taste, and great finish for a solid imperial.
Feel: Ive had a fair share of Enjoy by's. I had their enjoy by 420 ( one of my favorite)
Had another later in 2014. Same feel and finish, but hoppy notes weren't as piney as id hoped.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 4/20/13

A: 1/2" creamy white head that left a nice lacing over murky amber liquid with a lot of fine carbonation.

S: Pine, evergreen, grapefruit rind, lemon, lime.

T: Pine, evergreen, grapefruit rind, lemon, lime, grass, flowers and herbs over light caramel malt.

M: Thick resinous viscosity and a high level of fine carbonation. Some drying.

O: Very thick and tasty. Stone seldom disappoints.

The 4/1/13 batch.
Poured from bomber to a snifter. Dense 1 and a half finger head, sort of beige in color. Minimal lacing on the initial pour, but more as I get further into the bottle.
The smell is very unique on this beer. Very Piney and dank, kinda has a garlic nose almost. There is some citrus fruit in here, but almost masked by the other scents to me.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated and and yet extremely creamy. Really excellent! this might be my favorite aspect of this beer. The taste is very well balanced with a strong floral hop forwardness. Loads of pine hit first with a twinge of oil and spicey vegetable. A bit of sweetness in the malt hold the beer together well. A bit peppery with a long satisfying dry hoppy finish.

Overall a very unique beer with some scents and flavors I have never tasted in a beer before. Absolutely not what i was expecting but good nonetheless.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.