Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,424 | Reviews: 1,437

Ipa cant get any better than this! at least not to my knowledge. this is THE BEST ipa i've ever had, stone does it again, idk what the i.b.u.s are on this one but it has to be close to 130 or more i'd guess. the aroma is heavenly, i wish i could get a car air freshener that smelled exactly like this.
the carbonation is perfect, the taste is indescribable and the after taste just leaves me craving my next gulp! the most pleasant thing about this beer is that despite the alchohol % and i.b.u. this beer is sooo BALANCED.... its unbelievable. perfectly balanced. i had the 7th batch (enjoy by 5-17-13) keep more comming to MN stone!

A: This is a gorgeous beer. Crystal clear, light copper in color. Pours with about a half a finger's worth of head featuring nice tight bubbles.

S: Hits the nose almost immediately. I could smell this all day long. Seriously. So fresh, so floral. I'm finding that the bitterness of the hops comes out over the course of the beer.

T: This is not as bitter as you might guess given the aroma. I think this is probably a good think. If this beer were as bitter as it is aromatic, it would be overwhelmingly. There is, however, a bitter aftertaste which seems to build progressively.

M: Smooth with a medium-to-full body. Goes down very easily.

O: This might just be my perfect beer. What more could you hope for from a classic West Coast IPA? It is not as balanced as PtE, but at that point we're comparing ridiculously good apples to ridiculously good oranges.

A DIPA that absolutely gets it right. Too many just don't have strong enough hop flavors and the malt ends up taking over, making them more like a hoppy barleywine. Enjoy By brings the huge, dank hop smells and flavors that unmistakably put this in IPA territory. Also appreciate the novel way to focus unavoidably on freshness through the prominent date on the bottle.

Lately I have been getting a little obsessive about my beer being fresh. So when I heard about a beer that was made for very limited window like this one I knew I had to try it... 22oz bought from total wine on 4-2-15

Pours a light brown golden body with a fluffy white one inch head that lasts. Thin lacing all the way down the glass. Cool painted bottle.(yeah I know the bottle doesn't factor in, but it's still kind of cool.)

Smell is outstanding !! Really vibrant grapefruit and pine. This is fresh.

Tastes like it smells.The citrus is out in front with this one. Heavy on tart grapefruit with just a little pine bitterness

Nice full feel

Overall this may have been one of the best citrus forward IPA's that I have ever had !
Freshness really does make a difference ! There is a vibrancy to this beer that the freshness brings. And the 9.4 ABV ? Oh Yeah ! These folks at Stone Brewing are a bunch of mad scientists that "get it " . If you are looking for the living embodiment of the phrase "respect beer, look at this one.

Perhaps my top 3 in IPAs. If this were the only beer left on this planet, I'd be fine.

Pours a orangy golden with one finger of head. Classic example of an IPA.

The moment I took the cap off the bottle, I could smell the aroma of this beauty. I got a LOT of papaya, maybe 80% papaya, 10% pineapple, 10% orange/grapefruit. Just spectacular, juicy, and tropical smelling.

The taste was the smell, plus malt, more sweetness, and more hoppiness. Very well balanced, and I got absolutely zero alcohol on the taste. VERY well made, and now I see what the hype is all about.

Overall, I base my opinion on whether or not I would buy the beer again, so I take into account the price, taste, and availability. A bomber for $10 that is hard to find, to me, is a steal for this type of beer. Phenomenal!

This is by far and away the best double IPA...or any IPA for that matter, I have ever had the pleasure of tasting. I won't go in to too much detail on this one because it was several weeks ago when I enjoyed this beer. Furthermore, how can one describe in words what they believe to be a perfect beer?

This brew struck the balance between a hefty, complex, flavor profile and an extremely refreshing and clean finishing experience. Both the aroma and flavor was, obviously, hoppy - citrus, floral, pine. It was all there. A very delicious beer. An adventure that I will seek to replicate for the rest of my life and most likely never will.

This one kills it every time. And I ALWAYS make the deadline...If only I were so committed in my personal/academic/professional life.

4.99/5  rDev +12.6%

pours a crystal orange color nice head. Smells amazing hops citrus pine mmmm mmmm taste is of pine, orange, just enough bitterness on the tongue without killing the palate... abv is well hidden no booze no burn just a great balanced dipa... Will enjoy by any time I can get it...

4.99/5  rDev +12.6%

Have had the 9/21/12, 11/09/2012, 12/21/2012, 4/1/2013 and 5/17/2013 iterations of this world-class DIPA, and they've all been near-flawless. While , from what I understand, the recipe has stayed mostly the same (though I'm sure some tweaks have been made with each batch), I would call out the 9/21, 12/21 and 5/17 as standouts.

Appearance: If "DIPA orange" had a dictionary entry; Enjoy By would accompany the photo.

Smell: A citrus, pine, grapefruit, mango, lemon, orange explosion.

Taste: The quintessential west-coast double IPA. While buying bombers is fun, if you see this on tap, order as many rounds as you can imbibe. Taste is a citrus assault with a perfect, west-coast dry finish. The malt backbone is there, but there's little sugar to be had here -- the 11(!) hop varietals are the star of the show.

Mouthfeel: Quite drinkable for a 9.4% DIPA, medium-body.

Overall: The “Enjoy By” conceit is not only a genius marketing plan — “this beer is brewed not to last!” as if it will turn into toxic sludge on its past-due date — it’s also a clarion call and challenge to brewers, distributors and retailers alike. To other brewers, the challenge is simple: let’s see you brew a beer this good, and also ensure that your enjoy by date is easy to find and not hidden behind a seemingly random code of letters and numbers or not present at all. To distributors and retailers it’s a little more difficult: do you have the stones (no pun intended) to do the right thing and remove a product from the shelves after its enjoy-by date and eat the loss? Given this beer’s extraordinary popularity, I can’t imagine there have been any bombers left come the sell-by date, although as Stone continues to perfect the logistics of this experiment it seems like a reasonable assumption that the beer will eventually become available more regularly and distributed in more locations, perhaps presenting a tough decision for shopkeepers in the near future. Either way, continuing to educate the consumer on the importance of beer freshness by bringing the issue front-and-center should only further enhance craft drinkers’ overall enjoyment

To wrap-up this already long-winded review, Stone is of course one of the world's foremost brewers of IPAs across the board in any style, and this beer fulfills the promise of the freshest, most enjoyable DIPA you could hope for and then some. A truly phenomenal, world-class beer.

4.98/5  rDev +12.4%

Great looking beer and the smell is like a bunch of IPA's rolled into one. I'm getting tropical fruits, berries, flowery a bit of that onion and grassy smell. NIce bite up front evolving into a slightly boozy, big hop bomb. Every smell is in the flavor leaving that tongue scrubbing bitterness and some warmth from the 9.4. I love how Stone has no reservations and just serves up a huge double IPA with a take no prisoners attitude. Not for a person that just wants to have session beers. This ones huge!

4.98/5  rDev +12.4%

Enjoy By 09-13-13: My second tasting of this fantastic DIPA . Great hoppy, pine aroma, balance and you can truly taste the freshness. The alcohol is a bit high, but to me, the bottle is just the right amount for personal consumption. But, the price went up at our local wine store... I hope it's not going to get more expensive so I can hord a bunch of these without breaking my bank.

Enjoy By 05-17-13: What a nice IPA, crisp, perfect for a Spring day evening. Not technical, but just a note to say I enjoyed the beer. I'm surprised to find it in the local wine store, but they had a couple of cases that came in yesterday (unannounced, of course), so I grabbed a case and will finish it by the date. High ABV, so my score may be skewed.

4.98/5  rDev +12.4%

Enjoy By 07.04.14 (Bottled on 05.30.14 and consumed on 6.21.14) into a 16oz Libbey Munique elongated tulip glass.

A- Poured an ever-so-slight hazy golden with a solid 1+ finger worth of a creamy, white head...as it is consumed, the lacing is really attractive. (5.0)

S- A commingling of sweet citrus (tangerine, ruby red grapefruit) and stone/tropical fruit (apricot, mango, papaya) along with a dank and piney 'herbaciousness' all bounce from the glass...the balance of all those elements are what makes this such a classic. (5.0)

T- Sweet malt hits first followed by healthy dose of tropical fruits found in the nose. The finish is a dual assault of citrus rind followed by an undercurrent of a resiny pine quality...classic Stone finish. (4.75)

M- Carbonation is just enough to create a nice head and open the palate to get those flavors to infiltrate the palate to create an exceptional experience. (4.75)

O- Kudos to Stone delivering this beer into the market as distant as VT within 1 week of its bottling. That is an immense testament to their commitment, enthusiasm and influence in the market to prove their point. I have now tasted various iterations of this beer at 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months and post 90 days...although it is a delicious offering at any time, I am now a convert of enjoying this as fresh as possible since the tropical fruit notes sing the loudest and blend the best with the herbal notes. Time will accentuate the garlic/onion qualities that are only muted as a young beer. (5.0)

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into a 16 oz pint glass
A: Nothing really special, poured a nice golden-pale color with around .25" of head and left behind some nice lacing.
S: Very aromatic, luscious tropical fruits and grapefruits, but with a strong hop bite. I love smelling this beer.
T: Initial strong hop flavor with the perfect amount of sweetness to balance it out. And then the tropical fruits come in. I got some juicy pineapple flavors and oodles of grapefruit.
M: Light carbonation with a medium body. Somehow i could not taste the 9.4 abv at all.
O: My favorite beer I have ever tried. I had high expectations going in and it exceeded those expectations. It was so perfectly balanced, I was in heaven

4.97/5  rDev +12.2%

This Northwest Ohioan was lucky enough to get his hands on a super-hard-to-get bomber of "Enjoy By 11/9/12" from my connec. Shared it with my best bud and both of our eyebrows shot up as we first smelled it and then tasted it.

I'm a hophead and prefer the DIPA style. This brew was so dank, earthy, and composty -- way beyond pine and grapefruit! I've never had anything like it. I desperately tried to get my hands on more of it, but no luck.

The hype is not hype. If you like hops, do yourself a big favor and try this one if you can find it. All I can do is hope that Stone is going to meet the market on this one and not just let the buzz flow.

Added on March 15, 2013: Found more or the 4.1.13 in both NW Ohio and at Green's in Greenville, SC. Wow! Lucky me. California: the Midwest gives up.

4.97/5  rDev +12.2%

Gorgeous lemon-orange color brew with exceptional clarity and a few, tiny bubbles rising to the surface. Solid finger and a half of egg-white head retreats to a thin film which remains for the rest of the drink and leaves behind small spots on the glass.

Bright, brilliant, fresh and unparalleled aroma. Lemon and orange zest, grapefruit, pine needles, juicy mango, ripe tropical fruits, honey and fresh cut grass.

The flavor delivers what it promises. This is by far the freshest IPA I have ever tasted. I love how the malt character is subtle with white and rye bread tones. This allows the hop flavors to come through full force with lemon rind, grapefruit, pine, and mild detergent. Leaf, oil and resin bitterness battle against a midwestern IPA tropical sweetness of mangos and tangerines. Absolutely perfect balance for a beer of this strength and complexity.

Mouthfeel: again, flawless! Perfect medium body, lighter than most DIPA's and this adds to the flavor. Oily at first then dry from middle to end. Crisp, dry finish leaves your palate begging for more. Perfectly carbonated.

This is more than a beer; it is a work of art. Such aggressive flavors yet such perfect balance and light, crisp, refreshing feel. I could drink this all day if it wasn't 9.4% abv. I love the combination of Midwest and West coast hop flavors. I also love the fresh IPA concept and if the name hadn't caught my eye, I probably wouldn't have bought it. Well-done.

4.97/5  rDev +12.2%

The latest version 13 days out from brewery! Awesome job on the logistics! Fresh DIPA from the west coast = AMAZING! Wonderful honey hued DIPA that makes my head spin. Huge snow white rocky head that lingers, leaVING AMPLE LACING DOWN GLASS.

An amazing aroma that sends one off in to a fog of self discovery!!!! Oh my the hops are intoxicating! Citrus piney tropical fruit bliss!!!!

The flavors are nothing short of the aromas, These folk, and I am a Koch, know how to do it. Fruity citrus tropical pine resin bliss!!!

Full to medium full bodied elixer that has already started to BOOGIE WOOGIE on my brain.

OOHFAH!!! this is where it is at man!!!

4.96/5  rDev +12%

Just tried the 'by 2/14/15'. Excellent.

4.96/5  rDev +12%

My favorite. Always clean, fresh, crisp and delicious. Well this or Hop Stoopid. Either will do. 2/14/15 batch. Excellent. $7.99 in Las Vegas.

4.96/5  rDev +12%

Stone Enjoy By 04.01.13 IPA: Pours hazy gold color with bubbles racing up the middle and a very nice 2 finger foamy off white head that was full of tiny bubbles which dissipated slowly, leaving good foamy lacing and rings as it went down. A good looking head, better from a growler than the bottle. The lacing always coats the sides and looks great as it goes down no matter the source (tap or bomber).

Wow, the hops aroma jumps out and smells very fresh up front; the smell is a combo of piney hops, citrus like pineapple, lemon, tangerine, grapefruit and orange peel, biscuit, tobacco, herbs and floral hops. The citrus hops smell like the oil was squeezed out of this, and while it’s hop dominant and extremely fresh smelling, there is just enough grainy and caramel balance to make this outstanding. Later whiffs seem to have mint and tea leaf, like a crazy hop potpourri.

Taste is lip-smackingly good. Even though it starts off bitter and herbal, as the flavor washes over your tongue it seems to coat the tastebuds with resinous hop oil like a napalm bombing just laying down the hop attack. This is very much like the nose, but more complex, with fresh piney hops, citrus hops, grapefruit, pineapple, lemon, tangerine, orange peel, coriander, mint, tea leaf, biscuit, tobacco, roasted grains, pepper, grass, herbs and other light spices, floral hops, some candy or brown sugar sweetness, earthy notes and very mild alcohol which is basically covered up by the piney and citrus hops. The malt comes through, but the feel is odd as it’s dry and slightly bitter with a textured herbal feel to it. Very hoppy, but not obnoxious hoppy, it was surprisingly easy to drink with the 9.4% ABV.

Mouthfeel is on the slick side, with a medium almost chewy body, a grainy or herbal feel like the liquid is thicker than it looks, and a slightly bitter and yet dry finish. How a hopped up IPA can end so clean is a masterful brewing trick and the drinkability just may be the most impressive part of this brew considering the ABV.

Overall this was as good as I hoped it would be and I hope they keep making these “Enjoy By…” beers and shipping them to NY so we can be treated to such beer excellence. This beer is up there with some of the all time greats from Stone. If you read this review then get your ass out to a beer distributor nearby that might have some and buy a bottle now.

NOTE: A week after having the bottle of this masterpiece I was able to get my hands on a growler, which I shared with my brothers. We all agreed that the aroma was better and fresher out of the growler, with the hops giving off strong oily notes, and while the flavor had more alcohol bite to it, overall it was just as good and maybe even better on tap/from a growler. Complex, fresh and extremely hoppy, this was outstanding.

SECOND NOTE: 5/7/13 had Stone Enjoy By 05.17.13 on tap at the Lark in East Northport, NY: pours cloudy orange gold with a very nice 2 finger foamy white head that faded slowly, leaving good foamy lacing and rings as it went down. Amazing grapefruit, mango, floral and citrus hop nose that is perfectly balanced with the malty backbone that has nice hints of caramel. Tastes as good as the 04.01.13, with strong grapefruit, lemon, orange peel, pineapple, citrus hops, pine cone/piney hops, tangerine, lightly roasted grains, fresh juicy hops and then a malty caramel backbone to allow for the ultimate smooth drinkability that completely hides the ABV - this is a masterpiece, almost DIPA perfection and up there with some of the best ever.

THIRD NOTE: 10/29/13 had Stone Enjoy By 11.12.13 on tap at Sapsuckers in Huntington; like the versions before this it was near perfection. It was fresh and crisp and poured with a great head and excellent lacing, so the rating/review went up overall.

ROUND FOUR: Had Stone Enjoy By 02.14.14 on tap at The Lark again and this batch had a lot more pronounced grapefruit and what seems like mint or very dry floral/herbal hops; it was very tasty and full of fresh hop flavor still, but it just seemed different from the other versions. Looks and smells great and was just as easy to drink, once again masterfully hiding the ABV.

ROUND FIVE: Had 04.20.14 on tap at The Lark and once again it was delicious. Looks great, fine sticky lacing leaving rings, huge grapefruit and juicy hop nose and of course a ridiculously tasty hop bomb that's full of citrus, grapefruit and dank resinous hop juice like hops were squeezed out if the cones from a vice. This shit is awesome!!

GROUPIE ROUND: Enjoy By 07.04.14 bomber; after trying this for the past year I can conclude that this is one of the best beers ever made. Need to try Pliney The Younger and Double Sunshine IPA in hopes of having something better, but besides Heady Topper I've never had a fresher tasting DIPA that was smooth and ridiculously easy to drink with great balance, fresh complicated hop/citrus flavors and a nose so wonderful. This always delivers, one of the all time greats.

Outstanding. One of my favorite IPA's. Usually get when available

4.96/5  rDev +12%

Had one 6 weeks ago and saved one for 07-04-14. Used a Troegs HopBack glass because I couldn't find my Sam Adams or Dogfish glasses. Best beer I have had in a long time. Amazing nose... hoppy, citrus, resinous, other stuff going on. Bursting with flavor from the first sip BUT not so hoppy that it isn't balanced and refreshing. Would not think it was 9.4% ABV if it didn't say so on the bottle. Wish I had bought more than 2 bottles....

4.96/5  rDev +12%

Deliciously dank, deliciously fresh, just plain delicious.

4.96/5  rDev +12%

Aroma is amazing. Very Hoppy, fresh, and straight up dank. Mouth follows with even fresher tasting hops and crisp delicious bomb. One of my favorite beers ever.

4.96/5  rDev +12%

(First ever public beer review.. apologies in advance!)

Use by 9.13.13
bottled 8/9, enjoyed 8/23

Appearance- Lovely amber color. Nice, thick, lingering foamy head.

Smell- citrusy floral scent, pine undertones, strong grapefruit when inhaled deeply, vaguely sweet in a pleasingly heavy way. Memory stirring, puts me in mind of summer and honeysuckle bushes.

Taste- Beautiful. Very dry with a strong hoppy tang, yet smooth. Somewhat tart but with a slight sweetness, like a hint of honey with citrus. Alcohol is noticeable, but not in an unpleasant way. Nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel- Full bodied, but not too dense. Fills your mouth and washes pleasantly over the tongue, leaving a nice lingering tingle.

Overall- Love it. This is an amazing taste that hits all my happy places for an IPA. SOOO glad I was able to get my hands on these. Definitely worth the hype. Wish I had been able to get more than two!

4.96/5  rDev +12%

has shifted the bar on how i rate Imperial IPA's!

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.