Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,419 | Reviews: 1,436
4.35/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bomber poured into a matching Stone pint glass. The brew appears a perfectly clear golden copper color. A white finger appears atop and fades back leaving patchy lace on the glass. A swirl revives a finger effortlessly.

The aroma is quite juicy with hops. Very tropical smelling with herbs and pine to give depth. A little catty, dank and floral character is also thrown in there. Really a lovely bouquet of hop aromatics that doesnt really leave any room for other attributes like malt or even alcohol.

The taste is all hops. The flavor runs the entire hop gauntlet from tropical fruits and grapefruit to pine resin, dank herbs and even catty quality before getting rindy and pithy. This is so hoppy that is has a dusty hop flavoring that is slightly vegetative towards the finish but in a good way.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. Despite displaying a ridiculous amount of hop flavor, it is not overly bitter. For being more than 9% abv, the alcohol is hidden really, really well. I would most certainly drink this again.

4.35/5  rDev -1.8%

Had to revise from a previous enjoy by date. I feel that every batch of this is different. This batch "pi" was terrific. Well balanced. Juicy, little resin, grapefruit taste. I really enjoyed this batch.

4.35/5  rDev -1.8%

22oz bottle dated 11/16/12, Enjoy by 12/21/12.

Pours sparkling clear coppery gold with a half inch head of white. A partial skim coat with torn sheets of lacing for the duration of the glass.

Aromatics lead off with mild hints of pear, peach, pine, cracked garlic, and grapefruit. Dank and fruity but not very pungent. Surprisingly subdued for such a freshie.

Medium bodied with a crisp, tacky mouthfeel.

Bright citrus, pine, and light malt start the palate. Very low, smooth bitterness and dry with plenty of dank resin and pine-spiked fruit.

Finishes with lingering garlic, pine, and grapefruit. Slighty warming with hop aromas visiting again after each belch.

Tasty IPA and I'd be very happy to be able to drink this on a regular basis. The nose is a bit lacking though given the freshness and pedigree of the beer and compared with other freshies that I've had out of So Cal.
Pretty awesome though that I'm able to enjoy this beer just inside of two weeks old when I've never even been able to try a local bottled beer that fresh!

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Dam before I even went to smell this beer the citrus popped me in the nose. Beer pours a lite copper in color the head quickly disappears and is off white in color. The beer smells delicious, one of the best smelling IPA's my nose has had the pleasure of meeting. IT reminds me of frolicking, through the citrus grooves of California. I have never done that but that's probably what frolicking is like. The flavor comes off as a caramel sweet orange with some tropical fruit flavors. The beer isn't a display of hoppy bitterness tearing at your enamel as much as it is a display of the softer more sensitive floral flavor and aroma of the hop.

4.35/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

got the 9/13 brew.... solid attack on the senses.
brilliant neon gold glow. minor amounts of foam. laces admirably.
smells... like a hop festival.... did I mention I took their tour last night? super hot chick with red hair and a forward personality manning the mic....
strong floral taste. strong hop. hides the 9.4% well. not as fresh as the Pliny i'm drinking, and I like the Pliny a little better. it's more balanced. but if you're a hops guy, this is for you. it's got its place, I imagine. I do not prefer hop-heavy brews, but more of the balanced stuff, ya know? but it is good. I've come a long way in my assessment of hop-heavy brews....
I give the taste a 4.5 for its accomplishment of the hops domination. overall, however, it's an 85 in my book as I don't see the need to attack the sense with such hop-domination. I respect the intent, and the design, and for that it's "worthy" as the label says.
update: the 2.14.14 seems to be a different brew with different hops. more tangy and juicy with fruit flavors. a bit thinner, too, it seems, but it's an even better brew. is it my imagination?

4.35/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

5/16/14

On tap at Four Points LAX.

A: Radiant apple juice, glowing in crisp light amber

S: Candied citrus. Let this warm slightly, the smell opens into mellow pineapple, piña collada, and passion fruit

T: Sweet orange rind. The bitterness lingers, maybe a tad too long

M: Medium to mild carbonation, on the smoother side of the genre

O: The freshness basks in this beer. A fantastic batch.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Great brew. Everything you would want from a double Ipa.

4.35/5  rDev -1.8%

22 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass and consumed on August 31st, 2013.

A- Poured a mostly transparent, copper color with a fluffy off-white head with good retention, and small lively carbonation. Nice lacing, but how much does that really matter?

S- Very hop forward with all sorts of fruity and citrus hop aromas. Tropical fruits, pineapple, leafy herbal hops. A bit of toasty grains and boozy aromas too as it warms. Definitely, some pine in there too.

T- Like sucking on a fresh, wet hop. Bitter on the tips of the tongue all the way through to the bitter finish, but there is enough fruity, hoppy flavor to go along with the bitterness to make for an “enjoyable” experience. The alcohol adds a pleasant flavor and warming finish, but doesn't get in the way of the hoppiness. There seems to be just enough of a malt backbone to keep this beer honest and complement the juicy hops.

M- Full bodied mouthfeel, slick and resinous, but not sticky which could be partly due to the carbonation doing its job. A bitterness hits the back of the palate and throat on the finish; and, along with the retro-olfaction, leaves an herbal, hoppy sensation that lingers.

O- Everything about this double IPA is intense, distinct, and full flavored. The amount of concentrated hop aromas, flavors, and acids that are packed into this beer is quite impressive. Yet it isn't so domineering, because I wish I had another bottle to drink right now. However, I think this beer is making me realize that I'm not a huge fan of double IPA's at this point in my drinking career, which is reflected in my overall score of only 4. With that being said, I can certainly still appreciate the skilled craftsmanship involved in the creation of this fine brew.

4.35/5  rDev -1.8%

These bottles all explode horrifically at midnight on their expiry date, Silver Shamrock style.

Not being a fan of having my face devoured by lasers and then eaten by worms, I took the smart route and decided to crack this fucker open right away.

Smells like a fresh, strong IPA with big nodes of flowers and pines. Tastes equally fresh and hoppily strong, but the flavor is tame and a near total lack of burn belays its elevated ABV. Lots of double IPAs attempt to back up intense hops with thick, syrupy malt. Other, better doubles balance out the hops with sweeter malts and interesting yeast complexities. Here, the hops don't get too out of hand, but they're still lush and variegated enough to balance themselves, making it so all the malt needs to do is provide a decent bready backend. and that's what this one does, gorgeously.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a really great DIPA. Just finished the "Enjoy by 05/17/13. Everything I would look for in a DIPA.

Pours a slightly hazy golden color. A hard pour gives a medium sized whit frothy head with good retention and some lacing.

Great aroma of piney hops.

Taste is great as well, mostly piney hops with some floral hops. Bitterness is just right. This one ranks up there with Pliny the Elder, Blind Pig and other great DIPAs.

Mouthfeel is rich and crisp with just the right bitterness and even a soft pillowy feel.

This one is top shelf; Great offering from Stone.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By 2.15.13 opened on 1.25.13.

A - Pours a clear, light orange with a small, light tan head with good retention.

S - Very grassy, like fresh mowed lawn, some slight grapefruit.

T - Grass, light citrus, grapefruit again.

D - Good carbonation with a light body.

O - Lots of grass, a touch of bitter, but pretty good.

Edit: 4.20.13 batch

More bready and sweet than the previous bottle. Sticky and chewy in the mouth. I prefer the previous batch.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22 oz. bomber, bottled on 3/15. 4 days old!

A: Clear, straw colored body. Typical of most Stone IPAs. Nice head and retention.

S: Citrus fruit cocktail, hops and a hint of alcohol. Just a huge nose.

T: Huge hop flavor on the front of the tongue, tropical fruit. Mild bitterness. Very light malt backbone with a dry finish.

M: Good carbonation. Really a pleasure to drink for a 9.4% beer.

O: Great beer. I'll pick up a bottle again if I see it.

4.34/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very impressive IPA, love the devastatingly dank 420 feel/taste of the whole beer. It's drinkability with a 9.4% abv is truly amazing. Recent drinker of stone living on the east coast but is quickly becoming one of my favorite breweries, well done to everyone at Stone!

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: copper, clear, white head, lacing, good head retention
S: pine, grapefruit, veggies
T: bitter punch, subtle alcohol, hop sensation overload, fresh, delicious, every hop characteristic is here.
M: medium, lighter than expected, crisp, dry, bitter finish.

Served on tap at Cork City Pub at Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a crystal clear medium golden yellow in color with some light to moderate amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a finger tall off-white head that reduces to a thick film covering the entire surface if the beer and a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Strong aromas of pine hops with lighter amounts of citrus and grapefruit hops. Very light hints of alcohol and some caramel malt sweetness.

T: There is light caramel malt body for this beer that imparts a light amount of sweetness. There is a strong flavor of pine hops with some more moderate amounts of citrus and grapefruit hops. There is a moderate amount of bitterness that lingers. Very delicious.

M:Medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly chewy.

O: Very enjoyable and easy to drink. This is probably the best beer that I have ever had from Stone and glad that I live in one of the three states getting this beer. Hope I get to have another one of these before the enjoy by date. Little bit of a palate wrecker

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Ok, I have to start this review out with a slight disclaimer... This is Enjoy By 9.13.13... This was a lucky shelf pull late in the game for me, as this series is not readily available where I live. So, I am enjoying this beer a little over a month late... however, I am quite sure that the hop flavor has not broken down in any sort of drastic way. I believe in drinking hoppy beers fresh, but unlike a lot of the talk on the BA message boards, I strongly believe IPAs have a shelf life of several months (and even at that point they are not totally 'bad').

Moving on, as I look upon this beer in my glass, it looks simply glorious! It's a pale golden color, with decent clarity and small bubbles rapidly rising to the surface. the head is quite thick and foamy, moreso than your average DIPA, that's for sure. The aroma conjures images of an tangy citrus fruits, like lemon and grapefruit, an evergreen forest, and some kind of breadiness as well.

Wow, this is really something.... this is a very heavy beer with grassy, herbal, and tobacco-like hop bitterness. My guess would be that Simcoe is part of the hop bill. This is also the type of DIPA that has a strong malt backbone as well, which is manifesting itself as a slightly boozy, biscuity, tart sweetness. It is very much playing second fiddle to the dry-as-a-desert bitterness that peaks in the finish. There is a pleasant taste that lingers for a while in my palate, as the somewhat noticeable alcohol warms me up too. It feels just right - a moderate mouth feel.

Overall, I'm certainly glad I decided to grab this even though it was a little past its so-called prime. If you're reading this and you stumble upon one of these past the date, don't hesitate to try it, It's definitely worth the money. It goes without saying this has to be marvelous if you are lucky to score a bottle right away too.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

651mL Enjoy By 12.21.12 bottled on 11/16/12 and consumed 11/27/12. Hot tamale. Big thanks to peteinsd for this one! Pours still near chardonnay white to brilliant gold. Full clarity, not bottle conditioned like it should be. Medium, buttermilk head. Spotty lace. Nose is soft orange fruits, nectar fruits, peach, white grapes, Alpine style butterscotch, salted caramel. Yumm. Taste is oily, lightly bitter, not too aggressive, actually very soft with white grape juice, white peach, some white pepper. Very nice. Reminds me of Alpine Duet. Palate is oily, spicy. 8/4/8/5/16=4.1

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Batch 5 (04.01.13)

Beer is golden in colour with a fair-sized white head. Pretty good retention, very good lace.

Lots of citrus and tropical fruit scents in the nose. Grapefruit, passionfruit, papaya, a hint of pineapple. Sticky.

Beer tastes like an amped-up Stone IPA. Hop focused with a strong citrus flavour. Grapefruit, orange and some tropical fruit flavours: passionfruit sticks out, but there is plenty happening. Finish is a bit spicy and piney, some white pepper. Malt is very low- beer seems to be all hops, with a minimal malt presence. Very nice.

Medium to full bodied, oily, strongly carbonated. A fair bit of alcohol heat.

Overall, really good. Glad I got to try this one.

4.33/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 04.01.13

A – The beer pours an incredibly clear and filtered golden orange, almost the like the color of Honey. A foamy two finger head formed as I poured it into my crate and barrel snifter. The head seemed to stick around for some time eventually receding leaving behind some serious lacing.

S – The aroma of this batch is less pungent than I remember from previous examples of the beer, but it still is very citrus forward, with tones of lemon zest, fresh squeezed orange juice and the traditional pineapple an mango hints. There is a strong hop presence with this beer, as its fairly piney and resiny.

T – Huge, bitter resinous hop flavors dominate the front of the beer, followed by the citrusy components I detected in the aroma. Although delicious, this is a very bitter beer, unlike Sucks or Heady which are very tropical and citrus forward. That’s not a negative nock against the beer, just an observation. The taste finishes of very dry with slight bready malt flavors.

M – Fairly light mouth. Fairly astringent (not in a bad way) with a nice dry finish. The high abv is undetectable as I feel little to no heat from the beer.

O – This is not the first Enjoy By I’ve had as its come around my area twice now. I regret not reviewing it the first time as I thought that batch was significantly better. Part of me is really disappointed by the inconsistency I perceive from batch to batch, but the other part of me is loving the brilliance and the quality of this beer. The idea of dating the beers like this is brilliant and I will continue to buy them every chance get because I will always know how old they are without digging for the date. Well done Stone!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by 09.13.13
Bottled 08/09/13

A= Pours a beautiful translucent dehydrated piss yellowish orange color with a nice thick two fingers of head on it that holds great retention and lacing on the side of the glass.

S= The smell is wonderful. Big bright hops. Potent as hell I can smell it from a ways away from the glass. Nice and grapefruity smelling.

T= The taste is no different. It has a big grapefruit taste to it. Like a super bright in season ruby red. This baby is rolling on all cylinders with the hops that's for sure.

M= This is perfectly carbonated.

O= This is a great beer. I grabbed it on the last day and it's still drinking like a champ. I would drink this tomorrow even if Stone doesn't recommend it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By 09.13.13, Enjoy By 11.12.13, Enjoy By 2.14.14, Enjoy By 4.20.14, Enjoy By 12.26.14, Enjoy By 02.14.15, Enjoy By 4.20.15, Enjoy By 7.5.15

A - looks great, like an IPA should.

S - smells wonderful, just as a hop head like myself had dreamed of.

T - out of this world!

M - hardy and full of citrusy hops.

O - this is up there with the best of 'em my friends. Stone has knocked another one out of the park, not too many competitors able to touch this one! Simply amazing.

Post Initial Review Note: 09.13.13 was close to a perfect 5! 11.13.13 not as good, recommendation is to try many releases as possible and often! 2.14.14 closer to 9.13.13 release, great stuff Stone! 4.20.14 release was superb, really not digging the 12.26.14 release, maybe next time! 02.14.14 was excellent! 04.20.15 amazing! 07.04.15 just okay.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

First sip wow what an amazing combination of flavors. I really liked the whole experience and worth the extra cost. Dank, citrusy and fruity with a finish with balance and no aftertaste negatives.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Dank, dank IPA. Very good. I have had several of the enjoy by batches, and have loved every one. Best consumed on a warm day straight from a pint glass.

A - Standard color for a top-quality IPA. A dark gold with some small sparkles raising in the glass after the pour. A thick finger and a half of off-white head rounding off the top of the pint glass.

S - Like a douglas fur christmas tree. Rosemary, cannabis, cut grass, and grapefruit. Unmistakably an imperial IPA on first whiff.

T - Grapefruit, basil, fresh pine come to mind. Like I said, dank. Strong, yet unoffensive taste. Easy to enjoy. Hops are strong with this one.

M - This feels ridiculously good upon first sip. I was comparing this to RuinTen, which I love, but this just feels better.

O - If I had a choice between this 17th Anniversary, or RuinTen, I would take this beer without hesitation. I enjoy it more than the 17th anniversary... and even more than the 16th Anniversary. I would put this up with the best-of-the-best double IPAs out there. Double Jack, Pliny the Elder, Cafe Racer 15 - Enjoy By is definitely in the big leagues. One of my favorite IPAs. Easily.

4.32/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by 4/20/2013 aka 420-2013 batch. Poured into tulip glass.
Appearance is very nice in this double IPA at 9.4 abv.Pours somewhat cloudy body, with a thick lacing 2 finger head; shiny penny tone(new copper).Smells of "sour-diesel"/piney scent. Nice fresh aroma of hops bitter notes. Skunky in flavor up front, with cherry and white grapes on the stringent finish. Pine-tar like consistency on the palate, and a lingering hoppy dry,almost rubber essenece on the finish. Overall, I like this hop bomb, from one of the Masters in the game. Green is written all over this one!

4.32/5  rDev -2.5%

Presentation: 22 oz. brown bottle with the 05/16/14 "Enjoy By" date right on the label. Served in a Sam Adams pint glass.

Appearance: Perfect clear, bright, gold color. It develops a robust head that quickly goes away and leaves just a thin ring. The lacing is incredible, covering the whole glass and slowly sliding away.

Smell: Big citrus, hop aromas of pine, grapefruit and spices attack the nose. The smell is very good and very important to the overall experience.

Taste: The citrusy grapefruit taste is right at the front along with some pine and spicy pepper notes. There's also an alcohol sting at the end thanks to a 9.4% ABV that gets stronger and more noticeable as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. It's smooth and very refreshing when cold. It only gets smoother as it warms up.

Overall: It was a big deal for Puerto Rico's craft beer scene getting this. Believe the hype, it's simply incredible in every aspect. Hophead or not, you need to give this beer a try. It should be noted that in order for this beer to be enjoyed fully it should be had slowly. The taste and texture both change the warmer it gets.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.