Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

(Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
gr2daover

GrindFatherBob

03-01-2013 12:37:04 | More by GrindFatherBob
kojevergas

3.28/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

"Enjoy By 04/01/13 IPA." Acquired last night at my local beer store. Identifies as a DIPA on the label. 9.4% ABV confirmed. Expectations are high given its reputation, but I'm not a big Stone fan. Still, I do enjoy some of their beers from time to time - which are often collaborations. Hm. 1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A good brief hiss as I opened it. No issues with beer surging out or anything.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head of beige colour, decent cream, nice thickness, and rather good (5+ minute) retention for the high ABV. Lacks the appealing froth I'd expect from the head of a good Imperial IPA. Light sticky lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a surprisingly pale yellow-copper; it lacks the vibrance of other good beers in the style. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Overall, it's above average but there's nothing unique or special here. Transparent and translucent.

Sm: A bit soapy, with assertive grapefruit but none of the grapefruit bite of inferior IIPAs. Floral and piney, with light nectary character. Sticky pale malts form the foundation and seem to be of good sweetness to balance the hops. Some oily hop notes. A pungent, pleasing aroma. Appealing if a bit too assertive. The soapiness bothers me, but hopefully it's just an aromatic flaw. A pleasant aroma of moderate strength. No yeast character or alcohol is detectable.

T: Floral and nectary, with pleasant grapefruit throughout. Unfortunately, untamed bitterness strikes in the late second act and climax, joined by an unpleasant overly sweet malty character that unsuccessfully tries to hide it. Up front, it's refreshingly creamy just after the open - a great welcome to the refreshing pale malt body. Amplitude is relatively low, especially for the style. And light soapiness indicates this spent too long in primary. Little pine comes through - a missed opportunity. The intrusive bitterness really kills the balance, but it's not a severe issue. The beer is still pleasant throughout. It's got depth of flavour, but lacks complexity or subtlety. The finish feels weak and somewhat muted compared to the open and body. Structurally, then, it's a bit problematic. Some tame grassy character about the climax. Somewhat resiny in the second act. I don't get yeast character. There is a bit of alcohol presence, but it's by no means boozy or hot. All around an enjoyable beer in the style.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Nicely nectary/oily. A touch overcarbonated - surprising for a beer so clearly intended to be consumed shortly after leaving the brewery. Palate presence is pretty good; I get all of the flavour easily. Suits the flavour profile well.

Dr: This Imperial IPA misses the most important feature of the style - balance. The bitterness is not well hidden enough. It's somewhat refreshing, but the presence of alcohol in the flavour profile reduces drinkability. I'm not impressed with the choices of hops either; the floral character feels generic, grapefruit is too prominent, and there's little pine. Additionally, the soapy character is a clear indicator of a brewing issue. Though this is one of the better beers I've had that's brewed by Stone alone, I definitely don't think it's worth seeking out. The gimmicky marketing doesn't affect my score, but it's definitely a trend I hope to see fade. Many will love this beer and defend that love with a curious argument about types of Imperial IPAs. So be it. I wish I enjoyed this as much as those individuals do, but I look for balance in every beer - regardless of style - and Imperial IPAs do not get special treatment because of an ostensible regional take on the style. (And while we're on the subject, Alpine and Port are both West Coast breweries that reliably churn out very balanced Imperial IPAs). In any case, Stone didn't fall as far from the mark as I anticipated when beginning to review this. Drinkable but not without its flaws. I won't be buying this again or recommending it to friends.

B-

02-28-2013 05:03:54 | More by kojevergas
MaxSpang

3.3/5  rDev -25.5%

Enjoy By 11.09.12. Poured in a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass for sexiness.

APPEARANCE

This is what those in the advertising business call "Sex Appeal". This beer just looks good. Crystal clear, yellow-orange-amber in color, resting under a slightly off-white head... Yeah, this is the kind of beer that makes mouths water. I love the look of a good IPA, and this beer has got that look. If this beer was a female, I would try my best to "holla". If this beer was a painting in an art gallery, I would stare at it intensely and occasionally nod my head so everyone around me knew how much I knew about art or whatever. If this beer was a Big Mac, it would be the one in the picture and not the one you get when you order it. If this beer was a... Ok, you get my point.

SMELL

There are definitely some New Zealand hops in the nose. Notes of grapes, flowers, mango, citrus, earthiness, and a smidge of everyone's favorite "cat pee" fill my nostrils. There is a deep, dank smell that reminds me of a quaint but "lived-in" basement which adds a bit of charm without being unpleasant. There's even a bit of hop spice aroma to even things out. There is a good amount of sweet malt, but there's no mistaking it - this beer is all about the hops.

TASTE

Follows the nose very closely. Once again, the first thing I notice is the deep, dank, resiny hop character. There is a bit more pine on the tongue than on the nose, which at first I feared would be the dominating character. As I sip, however, more of the citrus and tropical fruit comes out. The New Zealand hops make another appearance and bring some earthy grape notes with them. As far as bitterness goes, this beer is on the medium side. Sure, it's bitter, but it's not a tongue splitter (I rhymed!). There is almost no alcohol flavor whatsoever. This beer has a ridiculous amount of hop character, and there is a slight muddling of flavors which is a tad disappointing. Overall, this beer is pretty tasty but nothing I'll be craving.

MOUTHFEEL

The mouthfeel really is one of the highlights of this beer. The carbonation and body are both medium, and considering the ABV this beer is not a struggle to drink. The beer coats the mouth with hop resin - the kind that kind of makes you smack your tongue for no explicable reason.

OVERALL

You may have noticed that a word I didn't use in this review was "bright". If you did notice this, I would say "Wow, you were really expecting me to say that word!". Anyway, many IPAs have a bright, refreshing crispness that fellas like me go nuts over. This beer, however, has a somewhat muddled flavor that makes me feel like it's more of an English IPA than an American IPA, which is crazy talk considering all the American hop flavors. That's not to say this beer is bad, because it's not at all! It's really an excellently balanced IPA, and it drinks more like 6% than 9.4% ABV. That being said, I'm drinking this beer as fresh as possible and it still has a layer of "meh". Is it worth buying? Yes, absolutely! Is it the IPA to end all IPAs? Not this time. Don't feel too bad if you missed out on this one (or if you drank it on 11.10.12 or something).

Cheers!

10-11-2012 23:53:47 | More by MaxSpang
theteleman

3.34/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass from a bottle picked up at Sprouts in Poway CA. Apperance is light golden with a pretty thin head upon pouring. Smells really fruity and hoppy. Very sweet smelling beer along with citrus notes and pine. Mouthfeel is thin. Taste…wow. Much sweeter then I was expecting! Not really any malt balance on this brew, very hop forward, but what else what you expect from a Stone IPA? I've been drinking lots of brown ales and stouts lately and this was my first IPA back from my malty phase, I enjoyed this brew but its almost a little TOO sweet for me personally. Hop heads should love this one.

01-25-2014 23:39:04 | More by theteleman
glazeman

3.35/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this tonight on-tap side-by-side with lunch from Maine. The lunch was sooo much better that it may influence my relatively low rating. This beer had a somewhat soapy taste and while there was a lot of hop bitterness up front, there wasn't too much balance. Also the smell was pretty run of the mill with some mediocre pine and citrus but nothing that really stood out. Maybe Stone advertising the freshness has led to this one being though of more highly than it should otherwise be. I will revisit in bottle form though.

03-28-2014 02:36:25 | More by glazeman
StoutHunter

3.38/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Enjoy By IPA a couple days ago for $7.99 at The Lager Mill. I've never had any beers from the Enjoy By series and this is the first one that I've seen on the shelfs, so I thought I should give it a try, lets see how it goes. Best by 2/14/14. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label look nice, it's simple and straight to the point, I think it's a little eye catching with the best by date being the main feature on the label. It poured a fairly hazy golden color that was slightly orange and it took on more of a darker gold and orange color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky rings of lacing behind. This was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up with a little bit of piney hops coming through with the citrus and fruity hop aromas seeming to stick out the most imparting a real nice citrus and tropical fruit aromas with some nice peach aromas showing up. Up next comes a medium amount of onion and garlic hops that make for and interesting combination when mixed with the fruity hops. Towards the end I get a real light bready and grainy aroma. The aroma was ok, but I wish the onion and garlic like hops didn't show up as much as they did.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that bordered on being highly sweet and it's followed by the hops being the first to show up but this time it's a mixture of the fruity hops and the onion and garlicy hops sticking out which makes for an unusual flavor. There's a real light amount of malts that impart a slight grainy flavor. On the finish there;s a lower amount of high bitterness that doesn't really linger that long and there's a hoppy aftertaste with the onion and garlic like hops coming through. This was an ok tasting beer, but I thought it had the same problem as the aroma with the onion and garlic hops sticking out too much.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this beer was just ok and I I didn't think it was the best example of a DIPA, it was going the right direction with some nice fruity hops, but then the onion and garlic comes through and it really muddles the flavors and it leaves me a little confused. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp and not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention and half the bottle was enough for me, I don't really feel like drinking another glass mainly because of that onion and garlic flavor. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and mouthfeel, they were both pretty good and they worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the onion and garlic hop aspect, it really held this beer back from being as good as it could be. I wouldn't get any more of this particular beer, but I wouldn't rule out trying the next one that makes it's way to Michigan. I wouldn't recommend this beer unless you love onion and garlic like hops. All in all I was fairly disappointed with this beer, I had heard that this was a pretty good DIPA and that it was more than marketing hype, but it didn't live up to my expectations mainly because it highlighted my least favorite hop profile. There are many other DIPA's that I would much rather have. Better luck next time guys, this beer just wasn't for me.

01-28-2014 04:42:25 | More by StoutHunter
CommanderOfAwesome

3.38/5  rDev -23.7%

Stone Enjoy By 12.21.12 Poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a golden color that is easily seen through. No head to speak of. Very slight lacing.

S: Lemon citrus and pine, very similar to Pliny smell. Very strong pine.

T: Very clean and crisp IPA. Nothing special IMO, I prefer a east coast IPA style and this is very clearly West Coast style.

M: Medium body, sweet, no carbonation.

O: Very clean crisp IPA, but I wont be buying it again. Very lemon/pine strong taste. If I was a big fan of the West Coast clean crisp style I would enjoy this beer more.

11-25-2012 18:07:41 | More by CommanderOfAwesome
beertunes

Washington

3.43/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This is the Enjoy by 2/15/13. Served in 12oz tulip. Poured a very clean, clear medium gold color with about 3/4 inch of off-white head that had OK retention and good lacing.

The aroma featured a lot of piney hops, and had some citrus notes as well. There was no real malt in the aroma. The flavors were basically the same, many bright hops all across the tongue, no balancing malt flavors, and a bitter citrus finish.

The body was good, even and clean, but was a bit thin for my preferences. Drinkability was good, if you're in the mood for a nice IPA, you won't go wrong with a couple of these. Overall, a nice example of the style, but one that's not particularly special or notable. I suspect the high ratings here are partially the result of hype over the marketing gimmick. Worth trying if you see a batch.

01-29-2013 01:03:47 | More by beertunes
stonermouse

3.44/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Intrigued to try this one. The price point is tough to swallow, but I'm not regretting the plunge (yet). 11-12-13 version.

Poured into a goblet. Pours a nice cloudy orangy-yellow with very little carbonation. The head quickly disappears, even with a vigorous pour. Small amount of lacing.

Pleasant, surprisingly mellow aroma. The hop profile already seems a bit muddled, not quite sure what it wants to be. I'm having trouble teasing out anything distinctive.

The flavor gets a little more specific, with a rich apricot and mild pineapple flavor at the forefront. The alcohol has a decent bite, and borders on harsh. Usually I like this- here the booze tasted a little like it was spiked with a cheap vodka. It simply wasn't compatible.

The mouthfeel was surprisingly sticky, yet wicked dry. I don't really know what to make of it. I guess it slightly compliments the flavor profile, but it's not particularly pleasant in and of itself.

I don't want to call this a complete disappointment. But it's a beer that doesn't really know what it wants to be. It's dry, yet finishes sticky and a little sweet. The hop profile is slightly all over the place- some may call this "complex," but out of a world class IPA, I expect an identity. This is a nicely-made, well-rounded, strong-flavored, yet ultimately boring IPA.

10-29-2013 02:25:03 | More by stonermouse
FeDUBBELFIST

3.48/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

$6.00 for 10oz snifter
Kegged on 1.11.13, sampled 5 days later.

[A] One finger of bright white foamy head, moderate retention. The body is brightly clear and polished brassy orange in color. A minimal amount of lace slathers the glass. Very attractive.

[S] Starts off with juicy tropical fruits of orange, tangerine, and light papaya or mango. Then, summit-like qualities provide a faint but distinct aroma similar to onion grass and chives. Not digging it so much now personally, but my threshold for these aromas in IPAs is low. Begins at a '4.5' and drops a full point.

[T] Again, there is an initial burst of tropical hop character. A light melon flavor comes through on the back end. After the first few sips, the tropical blend all but disappears when the beer fully opens up. The beer is still pretty good, just not as impressive as it was just minutes ago.

[M] Medium full body, smooth, semi thick body, the carbonation kicks in at the perfect moment. The strength is well concealed for a gravity of this height. [Sidenote: 2.15.13 was listed at 9.2% instead of the 9.4% listed on BA.]

[O] Started out with a bang, but transformed and dropped off quickly. I had pours from two separate keg and my experience was the same each time.

02-03-2013 13:56:23 | More by FeDUBBELFIST

03-04-2013 02:11:38 | More by RichardMNixon
JamesStreet

Louisiana

11-14-2013 23:06:23 | More by JamesStreet
Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.