2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Enjoy By IPAEnjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

(Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,527 | Reviews: 926 | Show All Ratings:
dfernandez77

3.55/5  rDev -19.9%

I understand there is a huge demand right now for Double IPA hop assault beers. And Stone’s masterful play to this demand with the Enjoy By series has to be appreciated. They are not just playing to the market, they are also making multiple crazy hop balanced, big IPAs, that make your palate ride that sharp toothy edge of huge IBUs without drawing blood. If you know how to brew, you know it’s not easy to do.

Appearance 3.5: Slightly warm, glowing, golden color. Medium, white, lasting head. Laces well.

Aroma 3.5: Hop characters come across as pine tips, eucalyptus blossom, chamomile, and dank musky sage. A little wet alfalfa. No malt characters to speak of.

Taste 3.5: Aggressive peppery pine bittering. Most of the citrus peel and floral aromas are from the hop aromas invading the taste space. Malt provides a blank canvas only, carries no character to speak of.

Mouthfeel 3.0: Medium light body. Hop oil slippery to start – turns fast to astringent and bitter/dry. Alcohol heat and astringent hop bitterness finish in the mouth and throat. Somewhat medicinal.

Overall impression 4.0: This is a liquid delivery system for hop bitterness, astringency, and flavor. It stands back on balance in delivering fresh hop aroma. Other than to provide a carriage for hop characters, the malt and yeast profiles are nonexistent. I rate the overall higher for the novelty of a clean, dry, and very Stone execution of a hop assault. It reminds me of Pliny the Younger – where PTY is a laser beam focused hop weapon, this Enjoy By is a polished hop boulder to the palate. Another well done hop monster from Stone.

I get it, it’s a fun ride – but still, I’m a balance and nuance guy.

-- bct

06-26-2013 04:57:19 | More by dfernandez77
JHS123

Connecticut

3.55/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful pour from 22oz into pub glass. Golden Color nice lacing and decent head. Complex hops on the nose citrus and some onion dank like pleasant fresh smell. Heavy alcohol mouthfeel. No real carbonation. A sweaty strong too bitter unbalanced finish which is the only part of this I didn't love. Really don't understand the devotion to this series as its not Stone's best. Stone Ruination IPA even thought higher in IBU finishes so much cleaner than this.

11-12-2013 01:12:12 | More by JHS123
Roser

3.56/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4-20-14 Enjoy By

A- fairly clear (a tad hazy), copper, orange hue. Appealing.

S- excellent nose. Pine!!!! Some grass, too. Some floral notes to boot.

T- big full wallop of resin (and that pine), lingers throughout. Bitter soon follows and strengthens at the end. Didn't note much of the citrus thing, unfortunately, compared to some the other reviews.

M- big, full, dry.

O- I'm a sucker for Stone (love Ruination!), and easily fall prey to the "enjoy by" campaign, so I'm a lock to try each offering. Not sure how long they've been doing this (started last year, I think), but I really, really liked the one I had in '13. That said, I'm glad I bought the 4-20-14. I "enjoyed" it, but won't be picking up another. A quality IPA, indeed, but not worth another round. Look forward to future offerings.

Cheers all!

03-30-2014 20:37:53 | More by Roser
IAmAPenguin

3.63/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Reviewing the 12/13/13. Aroma: Very herby, slightly metallic, resinous and skunky. Appearance: clear gold, little carbonation and nearly any foam. Very dry, off bitterness. notes of cinnamon, spice, herbs, resin and biscuit are available. Not too much citrus available. Overall, one of the more basic/standard Enjoy By's I have experienced. Not bad. Bitter, alcohol filled, dry.

11-16-2013 09:00:29 | More by IAmAPenguin
PeterParker

3.64/5  rDev -17.8%

2.14.14

Poured into a tulip. Crystal clear golden orange with a finger of head.

Scent of dry piney hops, as per ushe, and a hint of sweetness that's tough to describe.

Different kind of bitterness here. More orange than grapefruit. Can't put my finger on it, maybe it's those New Zealand hops. Not as bitter as anticipated. Actually a tiny bit sour, interesting. A bit let down by the bitterness, but it makes up for it with the complexity of it. The more I drink of it the more orange I'm getting. Gets better as it warms.

Thin and drinkable with an aftertaste that hits periodically after the sip.

Overall a solid IPA, not in my top 10, but earns points for surprising me with something different in an IPA.

02-06-2014 00:54:47 | More by PeterParker
Beerstorian

District of Columbia

3.65/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This poured very nicely, with good head retention, and a nice coppery color. from there I got a floral hop aroma and some caramel notes. Flavor was fine. Standard high-hopped American IPA. This was an OK beer for me, but I'm not sure what the fuss is. I wonder if some of the oooh and ahhh might be because in general Stone makes great beer. This is not a great beer. It's a good beer, in the current tradition of "more hops = better beer." I went from this one to a Bear Republic Racer 5, which I love.

03-31-2013 13:20:28 | More by Beerstorian
number1

3.66/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Although being the same beer everytime (just new batches) just like evrything else at Stone, its consistent. I enjoyed the Hoppiness without the distraction of so much bitterness, which was a bit wierd for a stone beer. I was expecting a booze bomb but its actually very balanced. A very smooth 9.4% abv.

10-24-2013 05:29:23 | More by number1
chanokokoro

3.68/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Stone pairing glass (short-stemmed goblet)

Pours a deep gold with amber hues topped with a two finger bright white head. Significant splotchy lacing as the head recedes. Notes of tropical fruit on the nose, especially pineapple and mango and flora. Pineapple is the dominant flavor throughout with accents of papaya with a fairly sweet hefty malt presence. Finishes sweet with grapefruit rind bitterness. Heavy malt backbone, medium carbonation and silky, smooth on the palate. A solid DIPA from Stone, but certainly not heads or tails above others, and tends to be more of the same and is a bit overly sweet. Personally, I prefer a finish that is a bit drier, and the finish on this brew is about as sweet and fruity as one can find, with the usual grapefruit rind bitterness. Frankly this brew is a bit unbalanced, and those that prefer sweeter characteristics in their DIPA's will certainly be all over this one.

08-25-2012 21:49:44 | More by chanokokoro
beerhan

Enjoy by 11-09-12
Bomber

I have very little to say about this beer except that it was nothing special. Average beer at most and that I have plenty of better options available year round.

A- pours a murky golden color with a thin head with almost no lacing.

S-musty? Pine and resin. Pineapple and gasoline. A mix of things that do not mix well together.

T-complete pine and resin simcoe bomb. I can't taste anything else.

M-for what it's worth this is a smooth beer. Easy going down, creamy and drinkable.

O-I am glad to have tried this but I guess I was expecting something a little better. The flavor was just nothing unique. If you are going to give a beer so much hype and it's own website it needs to deliver something unique. This reminded me of a slightly more piney weyerbacher double simcoe.

10-13-2012 04:05:10 | More by beerhan
FosterJM

1624th Review on BA
Bottle to Parra Tulip
22oz

Enjoy by 12.21.12
Purchased from Party House Liquor, Chino Hills, CA

App- This was a very nice deep and bursting orange. The density was fairly light and had a bit of darker edges to it. You could say it was turning into an amber around the edges with some yellows smattered in. The head was a wonderful 2-1/2 finger dense and compact white. Huge amounts of lace and stick. Would say its up there with best I've seen.

Smell- There was a good amount of deep citrus in the glass with the aromas coming up with a bit of sweet creme, oranges, pine, resin and a backing malty note that was well integrated and not overpowering.

Taste- Well I read the forum about the flavors you never got and said Ive never gotten that garlic thing, well I do know. This was flavorful but the hops used in combination with certain malts gave me a good duality of flavors. Rich citrus and dense at times but creeping in was a light garlic and scallion flavor. Was a bit off to me, but the rest of the beer was pretty good to balance it out.

Mouth- This was a fairly dense medium body with a good amount of carbonation behind it. The residual flavors on this were the deep citrus and the garlic and onion flavors.

Drink- A tasty beer, but no where near what I was thinking. It was semi balanced and flavorful, but I thought this would be a 10th and 16th killer. The garlic and scallion just didnt work for me.

11-22-2012 17:15:06 | More by FosterJM
mikefuski17

3.68/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy by 9-13-13 is pretty good. Highly recommended. Get yor hands on it.

A. Clear amber. Nice foamy head with decent lacing.

S. Very piney and hoppy but nice.

T. Like the aroma but stronger. Very very piney. Super fresh beer. The after taste isn't very strong like some IPAs.

M. Very easy. Doesn't coat the palette and is not thick at all. Very smooth beer and goes down very easily.

O. I will enjoy getting more Enjoy Bys in the future. Great job Stone.

08-31-2013 00:24:55 | More by mikefuski17
Dijeriduster

3.7/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from bomber into a pint glass following a 4 hour chill. Thanks to Sol Markets for selling their 2nd to last bottle.

A - Clear filtered IPA with darker orange hue. Fair head is slighty off white and has oddly large bubbles?

S - People could smell this from across the house. Very nice piney hop smell, some grapefruit and citrus present but not as much as I would expect. A little booze in the nose too.

T - Strong piney bitterness per the nose it opens up in the back of the palate with quite a depth of hoppy flavors. Most IPA's don't have this many types of hops, though I think the complexity takes away from the beer a little. Somewhat ruinous in that your palate just can't detect the hops on your 3rd sip like they can on the first.

M - Somewhat thin given the high booze to malty ratio. Goes down smooth but I'd like just a little more heft to it.

O - Somewhat disappointing overall actually. Nice and fresh yes, but nothing that is instantly seared in your brain like an Alpine Duet or BP Sculpin or Surly Furious. Albeit I am spoiled by fresh So Cal IPA's all day, everyday but this wasn't something I would rush out to buy again. Its basically Ruination with a different hop bill late in the boil.

Still, I gotta hand it to Stone for the concept here. The majors all tout bottle dating and such, but its high time attention is brought to skunky craft brews that have sat on store shelves too long...

08-27-2012 17:03:06 | More by Dijeriduster
brewdlyhooked13

3.7/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Enjoy by 5.17.13

Appearance - a very slightly hazed golden brew with two fingers of white manila foam. Very sticky, lacy ropes and clumps all around, the head recedes to about a half-finger and is holding.

Aroma - fresh orange, mango, lemon, with a piney edge. Pine and some biscuity malts emerge as the beer sets up.

Taste - good biscuity malt base, hops moving in without delay as expected. Some light fruitiness, grapefruit pith mostly, though not as much as expected given the citrusy sniff. The character here is more piney, with some pungency in the exhale. Gets dry and has a more pronounced bitterness on the swallow and aftertaste, edging into medicinal territory. The finish is a bit harsher than I prefer, but the intent here is to showcase the hop, not necessarily balance. No trace of the 9.4%.

Mouthfeel - pretty crisp, though not as big a body as I would have thought for a DIPA.

Overall - glad to have tried it and worth chasing down having missed it the last few go-rounds. but not one I would continue to pursue, unless of course they vary up the recipe each time, then it would be interesting to compare the different batches.

04-28-2013 22:25:27 | More by brewdlyhooked13
DocJitsu

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a lager-clear golden color with a quickly attenuating off-white head. The nose is comprised of BIG citrus and pine. Once the beer settles, hop resin breaks through. The mouthfeel is peculiar and affected more than I like by the flavor. Mouthfeel should accentuate the flavor, the flavor shouldn't molest the mouthfeel. When first pulled into the mouth, there's a pleasing fullness that quickly is overtaken by the harsh hop burn and sting of carbonation for which Stone is so famous/infamous. Strong, resiny pine flavor that is, oddly enough, balanced with the grain bill. I'm not sure how much grain it would require to balance this hop assault, but they've figured it out. Another disappointment for me. Stone is just not in my wheelhouse.

11-23-2012 03:54:49 | More by DocJitsu
Tone

Missouri

3.73/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, golden color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Good retention and slight lacing. Smells of citrus hops, floral hops, sweet malt, and slight alcohol. Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of citrus hops, hops oils, slight floral hops, slight sweet malt, slight alcohol, hint of earthy malt, and a hint of grass. Overall, decent appearance, good aroma, good body, and decent complexity.

03-24-2014 15:41:40 | More by Tone
TonyZeller

Kentucky

3.73/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy By 4-20.

Definitely dank! Smooth hoppy bite and subtle bitter aftertaste. Enjoyed in a standard pint glass right at 40 degrees over the course of 45-50 minutes. I got more hops as it warmed to room temperature. Solid IPA and I look forward to the next installment in the series.

04-14-2014 00:46:42 | More by TonyZeller
jibbyvonjibb

3.75/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy by 12.13.13, which means bottled 11.08.13 (so a month old).
Grapefruit dominates, along with pine. Not as tropical as you might expect from a SoCal IPA. A little bit of skunkiness. In the finish, that oily sensation from too much hops, medium finish. Bitterness lingers. It's a good beer, and fresh, but it's a bit too harsh for me. I might try this again though if I can get it under 2 weeks old.

11-26-2013 04:15:11 | More by jibbyvonjibb
Boca-X

Missouri

3.75/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Reviewing Enjoy By 4/20/14. Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Dark golden orange sun kissed copper, an even cloudiness keeps it from being completely transparent. As it warms, it clears. White head, fades fast, little to no lacing.

Pine tar on the nose mixing with fresh citrus and a touch of sweet tropics fill the nose.

First sip...medium carbonation...an extremely creamy mouthfeel but watery too? Peaches up front mix with the sweetness of honey. Rounds out with some caramel and green pine and a quick bitter finish. A warm alcohol lingers on the throat...white pepper on the tongue.

I'm a big fan of double IPAs (my favorite style) and was really looking forward to this beer...my first Enjoy By. I've read the reviews and comments in the forums...and must say I'm disappointed. I've let it warm and sipped it slow but something is off? It's not much older than a week, so freshness isn't the problem. Seems a little to watery for a double, a little lighter in color than I'm use too...those things I can live with but there is an "off" flavor that I'm not familiar with...charcoal? Maybe I just don't like "dank"? I guess my expectations were so high I'm trying to find excuses why I think this is only good and not great...it is what it is...for me...good but not great.

Im so surprised at my review's outcome I will try one more Enjoy By in the future and comment further.

03-21-2014 00:44:11 | More by Boca-X
corby112

3.78/5  rDev -14.7%

Draft at The Blue Monkey Tavern in Merchantville, NJ. samples on 8.24.12.

Pours a hazy golden orange color with tangerine edges and a one finger frothy white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring.  Spotty lacing left behind.

Dank and über fresh floral hop aroma with earthy pine needle and spicy, grassy hop notes countered by citrus and tropical fruit notes.  Really tropical with mango, papaya and pineapple along with orange peel, tangerine and curaçao.  Pale malts underneath with biscuit and grainy graham cracker.

Chewy full body that's much heavier than anticipated.   Slightly hurts the drinkability.  Dry bitterness up front with dank, sticky hops that linger over sweeter notes and pale malt into a slightly dry finish.  Spicy hops, grass and earthy pine are slightly floral but countered by sweet fruit notes.  Not as tropical as nose suggests with some grapefruit, pineapple and orange peel.  Pale malt backbone is a bit stronger than I prefer with strong biscuit and graham cracker graininess toward the finish.  Also, there's a strong perfumy booziness that gives off some distracting sweetness toward finish.m ABV is decently masked for 9.4 but it's still a bit strong for me taking away from the hops.  Overall, this beer has some nice hop flavors but needs more tropical/citrus fruit sweetness, a  lighter body and less booze.  Decent but nothing out of the ordinary.

08-26-2012 01:59:42 | More by corby112
LubricatedWisdom76

Colorado

3.78/5  rDev -14.7%

A citrus forward IPA from Stone that doesn't stand out to me. All earth and citrus and hop profile that doesn't have the dimensions of a lot of the strong DIPA's out there. Has a puckering bite but not much else going on or lingering in the aftertaste.

Definitely highly drinkable for the 9% ABV which is great but the flavors don't really grab me or make this one memorable. This isn't a beer that will knock your socks off. It's a solid strong IPA but too similar to Stone's other releases to be anything special.

11-12-2012 16:34:20 | More by LubricatedWisdom76
TMoney2591

3.78/5  rDev -14.7%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Rocking the 12/21/12 batch. This stuff pours a clear brass topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises mango, light pineapple, light leek, dank-ish greens, sweet caramel in the background, and a touch of grapefruit peel. Were it not for everything else coming together so well, that leek would've damaged this stuff in my [nose's] eyes. The taste holds notes of grapefruit peel, pine resin, sweet caramel, orange rind, and a hint of greens. The fruits that are so fleshy and bright in the smell come through overtly rindy on the tongue. The body is a lithe medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry, fairly sticky finish. Overall, a damn solid IPA, one that seems to suffer from over-freshness (if you can believe that!): I think the hops might meld slightly better with a little bit of age on this stuff. Still, it's pretty tasty.

11-22-2012 00:34:11 | More by TMoney2591
RoyBatty

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This offering by Stone is definitely incredibly fresh. It pours a beautiful golden yellow color onto a teku glass. The angel is fruity, lemon, musky, but also contains strong notes of onion and chive. The chive and sweet vidalia are quite strong, and carry through on the taste which is also permeated by bitter hops and slight malt.

Overall, if you like Sorachi Ace hops, you'll dig this beer. If not, you should probably pass. Personally I find it flavorful, unique and enjoyable. It is definitely different than many other stone offerings, and I'm interest to try my second bomber.

05-06-2013 14:00:46 | More by RoyBatty
shadetree67

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Enjoy By 11.12.13

Appearance - A clear golden amber color. Strong pour yielded a 1/2 finger head that dissipated quickly. There was minimal lacing while drinking

Smell - Very hoppy / bitter smell. Fresh cut grass and oranges.

Taste - The taste is quite bitter. Slight grapefruit and no malt flavor at all - this doesn't seem very balanced to me.

Mouthfeel - Medium to high carbonation and the warmth of the alcohol comes through.

Overall - Compared to other IPAs I have had, this one is a bit heavy handed with the amount of bitterness present. I would have preferred some malt characteristics and tropical fruit. Probably wont seek this one out again.

11-14-2013 04:28:13 | More by shadetree67
travolta

2-14-14

Appearance: Pours a clear golden orange color. Nice head retention and lacing. Nothing extraordinary to look at.

Nose: A total blast of piney hops. Wet, first pine. some tiny alcohol and medicinal notes in the middle, with some mustard and malt at the end.

Taste: Great mouthfeel, and a perfectly balanced malt foundation. This is what a big IPA should feel like. Tastes like pine, citrus, ginger, sweet toffee, and a tiny bit of aspirin at the end.

Notes: Beer is always best fresh, and I commend the effort behind getting this beer to market. I don't care if others feel it is a marketing gimmick, it brings super fresh beer to my liquor store and I will not complain about that.

Notes 2: Mouthfeel is fantastic!

01-22-2014 01:48:27 | More by travolta
Ham-Nord

Ontario (Canada)

3.79/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bomber poured into a tulip.

A: Clear with no haze, pale golden in colour. Minimal head.

S: The smell was the best part, in my opinion. It was the "freshest" aspect of this beer. By this, I mean that it smelt resiny in a way that I tend to only notice in fresh beers. Lots of citrus as well.

T: This was a tasty beer and you could tell there was a lot of attention to detail. Not too bitter, with some residual sweetness. It was a well balanced IIPA, but nothing spectacular about the flavour that I haven't had before in other IIPAs.

M: Easily drinkable, not too heavy and overpowering on the palate.

O: As I mentioned with respect to the taste, this beer was not spectacular. Stone beers are overrated, but this one in particular is overrated. It is a good beer and there is no doubt about that. However, it probably is not worth the $8 since there are other IIPAs out there for less that are pretty much the same. The aroma was "fresh," but that was about the only attribute that sets this brew apart from others in the field.

04-05-2014 19:05:26 | More by Ham-Nord
Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.