Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,404 | Reviews: 1,429
4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Modestly superb. Mine was 'Enjoy By' 9/20/2014. Golden orange/amber and very aromatic. Nicely hoppy in the mouth, but not overly so.

It was somewhat sweet, but not '9.4 ABV sweet', and the sweetness didn't last long in the mouth, fortunately.

If I had to go all night, I would likely not quaff these one after another. But if I had to limit my intake to a single bomber, and I often do, this one is at or near the top.

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

22 oz. bottle. Enjoy by 4/01/13.

Clear, deep golden to medium copper body. Lighter edges. Tall, rocky, whipped, light beige to off-white head. Great lacing. Loads of fresh hops on the nose. Tropical fruit, pineapple, mango, mandarin orange, resinous funk, and even a little cat pee.

Taste actually starts out with cookie-ish, fruity malts. Light toasted edge. Herbal, numbing hop bitterness quickly ekes in, but then big tropical fruit hop notes take over. Pineapple, mango, and mandarin orange stick out. Undercurrents of grapefruit and citrus peel. All this hoppy goodness sits over a solid bedrock of fruity sweet malt. Still, this is definitely a hop-forward beer. Finish dries out some, with lingering notes of tropical fruits, pine, and spicy alcohol. Medium-full body with a creamy feel. Very drinkable; I just wish I had more :).

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Best stone I have ever had! well worth the extra money!!
So man my place sold out of them in like 3 days! now I have to hunt for another 6 pack!
you better hurry and get one if you can!

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a very clear, straw color, decent head. The smell is strong and nice. All hops, with a touch of that oniony smell/flavor. This one leans away from the citrus side and goes more for the dankness. Taste is good, just like the smell. They did a really nice job of infusing the hop flavors into this beer. The hops are strong, but the beer is by no means bitter. Mouthfeel was good. Well carbonated, a bit of body. All in all, it's a very solid DIPA with great hop flavor, even though it's not quite the hop profile I would have gone for.

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

4/20 edition...Man, so good. They've all been good...to me, they take a couple weeks to hit peak flavor, but this one is great out of the gate. 6 packs?!?! One happy dude.

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Beautiful yellow-orange oy, excellent clarity, scattered carbonation streams, topped by four fingers of white various sized micro-bubbles. Gorgeous drippy lacing.

Aroma of oranges, apricots, hints of grapefruit and lemon. Clean, fresh, inviting.

A small sturdy caramel foundation is quickly engulfed by an explosion of fresh juicy citrus. Nice bitter snap at the swallow. Big bitter tingles in the afterglow. Very fresh taste overall.

Smooth steady medium mouthfeel.

Another terrific Stone IPA, and the freshness angle comes shining through. Grab a few of these if it comes to your area.

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

My favorite Stone beer. A great option for any hop-head.

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

I got the enjoy by 10.31.14. It was a fabulous IPA.

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Great overall double IPA. Definitely one of our favorites. We highly recommend this beer to the fellow DoubleIPA enthusiast. We've managed to get our hands on every bottle shipped to southern California since 12.21.12 and on tap at our local craft bar. Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Enjoy by 12.13.13 bomber. Lots of resiny smell, fresh thick hops, dry intense grapefruit aromas, colour is a bright clear gold, plenty of carbonation but the smoothest mouthfeel and no hint of alcohol, this is really awesome, smooth balanced profile, tons of hop character. Really well constructed IIPA and just an amazingly fresh tasty beer. Pleasant dry finish and a quenching juicy drinkability.

Very impressive.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured a clear golden amber with a white frothy head that sticks around the entire time. A gorgeous looking beer.

S - Citrus hits you right away, a nice fresh hop aroma.

T - A touch of bitterness, I get some pine from the hops here.

M - A medium bodied beer with lots if carbonation.

O - An excellent DIPA, I can't believe I've waited this long to have one. It is well balanced, you have no idea it is 9+ abv.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy By 2.14.14 is easily the best batch of this beer that I have had the pleasure of having. I'm not exactly sure how much of this has to do with me getting it a mere two weeks since it was bottled (and about six days since it arrived in stores), since I had the other two batches I've gotten my hands on a little later than that. Perhaps there's something to do with recipe variation...Who knows. All I can say is, I am blown away by how complex this batch is: incredibly juicy and aromatic and the carbonation and mouthfeel are super spot-on. And where is that alcohol!? Hats off to Stone, the standard bearer of hoppy beer.
---
Finally I have my hands on the much sought after Stone Enjoy By IPA. Very excited to get this into a glass and see what all the hype is about. The specific batch I'm reviewing is Enjoy By 4/1/13 and I consumed it on 3/20/13. I would have loved to drink it sooner, but I'm sure it's still in excellent condition.

Appearance (4.25/5): Pours a nearly clear orange-copper color. Two fingers of white head on a moderate pour. Decent head retention. Plenty of sticky, resinous lacing clings to the sides of my DFH signature snifter. This is what I want my IPA's to look like.

Smell (4.5/5): Nose is super hoppy–dank pine aromas rise from the glass, with citrus pine and tropical fruit adding that mixture of fruit sweetness and bitter twang. Actually quite balanced for a beer billed as a palate destroyer. Smells incredibly fresh and really reminds me of fresh Union Jack IPA in that there's a nice touch of malt sweetness alongside the grapefruit and dank pine going on here.

Taste (4.5/5): This one starts out sweet and then the hops explode...Tropical fruit flavors of passion fruit and tangerine come on in the beginning to open up the tongue with some nice sweeter hop flavors before giving way in the middle to huge, bitter pink grapefruit and pine flavors. That quintessential West Coast hope profile is here but amped up considerably. Excellent flavors here; nothing super complicated tasting, just very well executed. No alcohol in the flavor, so kudos to the brewers on masking the high ABV well.

Mouthfeel (4.75/5): The most remarkable thing about this beer is its bone dry finish. I am not sure if I've ever had an IPA whose finish mimics the aftertaste of grapefruit so well, and I love it. The dryness invites you to go back for another sip, and there's no problem with that–this beer is very drinkable. Carbonation is medium–right where it should be–and body is medium. Great feel all around.

Overall (4.5/5): I really love this beer and would gladly buy 10 more bottles of it if I could. It's what fresh IPA is all about–the bitterness, the citric bite, the dry finish, the drinkability and refreshing qualities...they're all here in spades. I would love to have this beer even earlier in its life. Maybe next time a batch comes to Illinois or Massachusetts. Until next time, remember friends: drink it fresh.

Enjoy by 04.01.13.
22oz bottle poured into snifter.

Appearance-pours golden orange, very little white head, lacing sticking around longer then expected. 4.25

Aroma-grapefruit, orange, mango, pineapple, honeysuckle, fresh floral, brown sugar 4.5

Taste-not as strong citrus as aroma but still prevalent. Grapefruit, dried apricot, piney, mango, hint of maple, green apple. 4.5

Feel-medium to full bodied, coats mouth fully, great bitter aftertaste, feels like a Double. 4.75

Overall-One thing stone does right, their beer is bold and feels bold. It might not be the tastiest double out their but it holds it own. Where this beer really leads the pack is in the mouthfeel, its thick, hoppy, and bitter, the three things I want in a double. DIPA's are supposed to be juggernauts and this one is. 4.5

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

My wife-to-be suggested dinner near a wine and beer store that is normally out of the way, so this was something I picked up. I got a bottle of the 7th batch, Enjoy By 05.17.13. The pour is a translucent flat yellow with orange notes. A fluffy finger and a half of cream colored head sits on top.

Wow, the nose is an intense blend of citrus and pine. Further inspection does yield some malt in there, but the grapefruit, mandarin orange, and pine car freshener smell are very strong.

Mango starts off the fun, then grapefruit and pine step in, pineapple, mandarin oranges... this is a hoppy festival in my mouth. Swallowing gets you a little malt, then its back to the pine and grapefruit.

This beer is perfectly carbonated, medium bodied, and goes down way too easy. There is no alcohol detected, and it's very refreshing. Only lightly sticky and not as drying as expected. Very juicy.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.01.13. Finally man-handling a bottle solo so I can provide a proper review. 22 oz bomber into a thin tulip glass. Reviewed on 3/07/2013.

A - Crazy clear beer. Like "the bottle looks like its filled with water" clear. Beautiful golden amber body with some rising carbonation. Two to three fingers worth of fluffy off white foam which settles down quickly leaving behind some serious lacing with retention that will outlast the beer. Even swirling this beer is sexy as tons of rapid carbonation floods the surface of the beer right below the head. I'm a sucker for unfiltered IPA's, but this is hands down the best looking filtered IPA I have ever seen.

S - The hop bill is pretty insane and its very apparent. This is just a cluster fuck of hops varieties. Grapefruit, orange juice, pine, danky dank, peaches and a slight hint of savory onions. There really is a lot happening here, but the beauty of the beer is how damn fresh it is and each hop is in its glory here.

T - Despite an unbelievably complex and busy nose, the taste is actually rather straight forward. Bitter and juicy grapefruit, peaches, and a dash of pine. Very bitter finish with a light onion savoriness on the very tippy end. The bitterness does seem to wipe everything away and mute flavors out.

M - Thick and creamy with perfect carbonation.

O - A pretty impressive and damn near perfect IPA with a wide array of hops on display. I love the idea behind the beer, I love how deadly serious Stone is about it, and I love that nose and flavor. I'll be salivating for each batch and I hope CT gets it again. I will say that I was a bit less impressed when having it on tap though.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 2/14/14. Honey yellow in color with the slightest haze. Started with a shirt white foam that left ladder of sticky lacings down the glass. Pungent, earthy, citrus hop aromas with a hint of malty sweetness beneath. Smooth, incredibly delicate feel with gentle, lazy carbonation and an oily feel toward the finish. Flavor was similar to aroma. Pungent citrus, pineapple, and rioe grapefruit flavors uo front with a tangy hop bite through the middle. Caramel malt flavors peek through toward the end. Very enjoyable.

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very pale amber, almost too pale in my opinion but looks aren't really important at all.

The scent of this beer is wonderful you just smell wonderfully aromatic hops as soon as the cap comes off.

Taste wise I can only describe it as a cascade of various hop flavors working in harmony.

Generally flavorful and enjoyable

Overall this beer reminded me a lot of the loose cannon Hop^3 IPA by heavy seas. If you like one of these beers you will like the other.

4.51/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

bomber 22 oz. bottle poured into tulip

the 4.1.13 version

L -- possibly the coolest pour i've yet seen in a beer ... I'd swear it percolates, like watching fresh-roasted, fresh-ground coffee beans in a French press. at least an inch head of off white THICK foam on top of a gold medal. crystal clear. and no amber. this thing is yellow gold, and the head is not tan but just a bit off of white.

S -- GRAPEFRUIT! really stout, too, and honestly, I think you could trick people blind-folded on which is the beer and which is the grapefruit juice.

T -- make a meatball out of hops, drop it in a pitcher of grapefruit juice and you've got it. damn good. relatively easy to drink despite the big Stonesque hop bite and 9.4 ABV. it's yummy.

F -- nothing noteworthy in any direction. just good. good carbonation without feeling overly heavy or light.

O -- I'm not smart enough nor experienced enough with beer to say if this lives up to the hype, but they sold me. I love it. And I've got a feeling I'll always partake.

I want to compare this one side-by-side with Stone IPA, because let's face it: That is the ultimate test for this particular beer.

But however it compares, I love it.

4.51/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Fifth batch - 4.1.13

Wow. Hop heaven. Lots of citrus. Lots of sweet and salty pine. Superb balance between all. Lasting flavor. The only indicator that this is a iipa is the mild burn I get on the back of my palate. This defines what an excellent beer is and should be. Big time kudos to Stone for this one. Worth a drive or a trip to get to try.

4.51/5  rDev +1.8%

This is the 12.13.13 variation of this beer. 22 oz. bomber poured into Stone pint glass.

A: Pours a slightly chill-hazed bright orange/gold. Head is one finger and white. It doesn't last extremely long, but there are islands of thin, white head throughout. Good lacing.

S: Wow...the smell is truly amazing...one of the best IPAs I've ever smelled. EXTREMELY strong dank, grapefruit smell. Lots of blood orange and mango, too. There are even hints of marijuana present....truly a hop-heads dream smell.

T: Taste is full on hop assault. Extremely dank, yet extremely fruity. Grapefruit, marijuana, mango, orange, pineapple, and a touch of mint on the end. Zero bitterness and only the absolute minimum amount of malt that lets the hops shine through. Really one of the best IPAs I've ever tasted.

M: Medium body. Oily...slick. Not much carbonation. Perfect mouthfeel that allows the hop onslaught to stick around for what seems like forever.

O: Easily one of the top 5 IPAs I've had (and I've had a lot of the "best" IPAs available.) Lots of depth, fairly easy to acquire, great price, and a perfect indicator of when to drink this amazing beer!

4.51/5  rDev +1.8%

Enjoy By 2.14.14 from Volante Farms (grabbed the last one!). Beautiful with a nice frothy head, golden. My favorite Stone IPA by far. Juicy grapefruit, little bit of spice and resin. A little creamy. Lingering bitterness tastes like orange and pomelo pith. Awesome.

Enjoy By 4.20.15

Bomber into Dogfish "IPA" glass.

Still looks pretty. Hazy light golden color. Nice retention, not much lace.

A spicy, diesel-like smell (referred to last year as "dankness") predominately with some floral-citrus backing.

Tastes encompassing the aforementioned diesel and citrus, as well as a bit of pine, hop bitterness, and alcohol. Not especially so of any specific quality however – they're all blended together.

Feel is practically flawless. Wet and juicy, yet not at all thick and heavy as one would expect with that combination. Neither too light nor too heavy. Very difficult to drink slowly.

Overall I don't think this year was quite as piney as last; the "dank", "diesel" smell overpowering it this time around. Probably a good thing however considering the brew's apparent motto.
-------------------------
Originally Posted 4.20.14
4.38/5 rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5
Enjoy By 4.20.14

Bottle into over-sized wine glass.

A - Medium density, 2-finger, light-cream head. Dissipates to be fairly loose and frothy. Moderate lacing. Light to medium amber in color. Quite spectacular, rather intense and seems to almost glow. Almost totally opaque. There is an interesting 'snap' to the carbonation on finishing the pour.

S - A deeper, darker, pine resin, alcohol, "dankness", tropical florals. Surprisingly little citrus for style.

T - Astringent bitter pine. Very little citrus if any. Not complex, but delivers as promised. Very much following smell.

M - Rather abrasive overall generally due to bitterness. Slightly warming, alcohol-type aftertaste. Otherwise smooth, nothing glaring to point out; which is to say its balanced to the point of not noticing it (beyond being a palate-wrecker).

O - "Devastatingly Dank". Yes. Basically delivers on what is expected, and does so very well. I feel it is more hop-focused/forward/centric than other DIPAs, much to its own benefit.

4.52/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was review was done with the 2.14.14 batch. Enjoy By was clear and a copper/orange color. It had about an inch head that was off-white and frothy. Plenty of lacing was retained along the edges of the snifter. The aroma and taste was spectacular. Both citrus fruits and a resinous quality came through perfectly. Hints of grapefruit, orange, and pine flowed throughout. Overall, I have had an Enjoy By both fresh (a few days after bottling) and on the 30-day mark. As this was my second time enjoying on the 30-day mark, I think I may prefer this one with a bit of age on it (and by age, 30 days!)

4.52/5  rDev +2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

(Written January 11)
Just released today, the freshest possible IPA. The freshness is obvious in the nose. Pine, mango, grassy notes, pineapple, grapefruit, lemon, tangerine and just a hint of caramel malty backbone. The taste is the same, almost exactly. Mango, papaya, pine, grapefruit, pineapple, lemon, caramel, grassy, orange, cantaloupe and tangerine. Medium body, sticky, resinous mouthfeel and just the right amount of carbonation for an IPA. This is a great beer.

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.