Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,254 | Hads: 9,545
4.32/5  rDev -2%

Bomber received in trade with iguenard - thanks! Batch 5

Appearance - Clear amber with an average size fizzy off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some decent lacing. The head lasted for around 4 minutes.

Smell - Hops, malts, grapefruit, resin, apricots

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste caramel, malts, and hops. There is also some grapefruit and some pineapple mixed with apricots and a bit of booze. It ends with a resiny/hoppy above average bitterness.

Overall – This beer packs a punch in both booze and hops. It's missing just a bit of the limp smacking sweetness that I find in Sculpin/pliny, but it's still a world class beer for sure. There is no reason to buy ruination if this is sitting on the shelf as well. (816 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

(Batch 4-1-13) Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a snifter glass
Chill-hazed apricot/gold in color, with a big cloud deck of bone-white foam.
Aroma-Big juicy, dank hops
Taste-Fruity peach and apricot, piney, resinous hops abound. Grapefruit, fresh-squeezed hops. High ABV not evident. Full-on hops, big character and bigger flavor. A powerfull, full-flavored Double IPA. (368 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10%

Enjoy By 09/13/13 22 oz. bomber pulled straight from the fridge and poured with 4-5 oz. intervals into 10 oz. snifter

A- Beautiful thick apricot gold color, initially cloudy, but clears up after pour. A 1/4"-1/2" bubbly, foamy white head that sticks around for a while. As the beer sloshes around in the snifter a fine bubbly film trails down the sides of the glass

S- The smell of this is wonderful! It's fresh. It's Clean. I smell fresh juicy hops, some sugar, some caramel. The hops are not piney and not really grapefruit-like, but remind me of the mandarin oranges I used to eat out of the can when I was a kid. Also I am reminded of the smell of the shell of a candy apple.

T- Much like the smell, the first sip, a ZINGER as my taste buds go wild! Floral hops, mandarin oranges. This beer is only a few weeks old, so it is SO fresh. As it warms, I get a bit of sugar, some estery caramel hoppyness which is unique but out of this world tasty. As I proceed with my servings I aggressively agitate the beer in my mouth and pick up some subtle coriander and chamomile.

O- Overall this is one of the best imperial IPA's I have ever had. I bought an 8 oz. snifter of the 04/20/13 on tap at a restaurant earlier this year on a whim and I loved it. This is the first time I had it since then and perhaps the first IIPA I have had since then as well. This beer is surprisingly refreshing and the alcohol is hidden very well. It CAN NOT BE TASTED AT ALL! For a brew approaching 10% that is very impressive. I have had some really HOT brews at 9-10%. Not this beer. I strongly recommend this to hop heads and anyone who is a craft beer aficionado in general as this is not a harsh IIPA. Bold, vivid in flavor-yes, but not harsh in alcohol or hops whatsoever-a WORLD CLASS BEER! (1,778 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This poured very nicely, with good head retention, and a nice coppery color. from there I got a floral hop aroma and some caramel notes. Flavor was fine. Standard high-hopped American IPA. This was an OK beer for me, but I'm not sure what the fuss is. I wonder if some of the oooh and ahhh might be because in general Stone makes great beer. This is not a great beer. It's a good beer, in the current tradition of "more hops = better beer." I went from this one to a Bear Republic Racer 5, which I love. (503 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

04/01/2013

Pours a nice shade of peach. Head is a finger thick of bright white bubbles. Lacks some retaining, but leaves a decent lace behind.

Nose is pretty remarkable. Pine, orange, grapefruit and pineapple combine for an amazing party.

Taste follows the nose...pine, orange, grapefruit and pineapple are still partying. Enough biscuity backbone to hold up to the hops.

Normally a DIPA like this would destry my palate, but this one actually brings it to life. There's sweetness from the orange and grapefruit, acidity from the grapefruit, and bitterness from the hops. The bitterness is prevalent, but very welcomed. The sweet and acid almost completly balance each other for a smoothness not normally found in something of this style. The alcohol is well hidden.

Overall, it's a pretty kick ass beer. Gives Pliny a run for it's money, and might even be better. (870 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy by (4.1.13) IPA pours a clear light amber color with a moderate creamy head on top. The foam fades slowly leaving behind a fair amount of netted lacing on the glass.

The aroma has lots of orange and grapefruit citrus, plus pine and caramel malt.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is creamy with light to moderate carbonation. The flavor begins with hops, mainly orange citrus and pine. The middle has sweet malty notes of caramel and bread. It finishes moderately bitter with an earthy grassy flavor. Once gone the caramel and orange citrus lingers on the palate.

I like the idea of this beer suggesting a 'fresh by' date. I just made it with the bottle I had. (672 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

22 oz. of the 04.01.13 bottling purchased at Sahara Mart in Bloomington. 11 oz. poured into a FFF pint glass on March 23rd, 2013.

A - Insanely clear, pilsner or scotch coloring. Frothy, thin, eggshell head. Fair soapy lacing and retention with prominent alcohol legs.

S - Rich sap, pine leaves, prune, Meyer lemon, naval orange, perfume, and huge grassy herbaceous character.

T - I don't want to half-ass here, but everything exactly as prescribed in the nose in complete balance.

M - Medium body, appropriate carbonation, dry and quick finish.

D - I'm almost at a loss for words that Stone has produced something so fucking good. Normally, they drive a lot of hype that is deserved for a larger micro but a bit over the top in perspective of the industry. This is worthy of every praise and is in my top 2 for most drinkable DIPA's I've ever had. Wow.

Edit - I had a considerable amount of the 05.17.13 bottling, and it's not quite as excellent. Still more than worthwhile especially at this pricepoint.

Edit #2 - Revisiting my original review a year later with the 04.20.14 bottling. More dank and herbs and just fabulous melding of flavors. Upticking a few points. (1,176 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours from the growler a orange hay color. Looks somewhat clear but viscus. Lacing is pretty nice as the one finger head dissipates. Great looking beer and very inviting.

Smell really sets this off. Tropical, pine and grapefruit, with melon and slightly sweet caramel notes.

Tastes of a tropical fruit and piney/peppery note mixed with a subtle herbal quality. Fantastic notes of pineapple, grapefruit, grass, and what I believe to be a slight peppery saison feel. Mouthfeel is almost perfect with it's fair amount of carbonation and sweet viscosity. The roundness keeps this from being overly drinkable for the abv.

Overall, this is one of the best double IPA's on the market. And the fact it's label alone keeps it fresh is great. (736 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Batch 5 (04/01/13)

Body is just a perfect tone of liquid gold in tone. Head is a thick fluffy two fingers of off white rocky foam. It has nice retention and fades leaving random waves of lace. Nose is bright and invigorating with notes of grapefruit, pineapple, and pine resin. The pineapple plays big time with the first sip yielding a big juicy citrus based profile. This really is a beer that I could drink all night, so easy its scary for 9.4% alcohol. Just the right amount of bitter, flavor and balance makes this a wonderful IPA. I really cant wait to get more of this next time it comes around. (603 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Enjoy by 4.20.13. Drank out of a tulip glass on 3.28.13, so this should be plenty fresh.

A: Medium head dissipates somewhat after the original pour, but the light head that remains has very good retention. Incredible lacing. Extremely clear - probably one of the clearest ales I've ever seen. The color is very inviting - an amber/golden affair with a tinge of orange that looks just delicious. I rarely give out "5"s in any category for any beer, but this beer absolutely deserves a 5 for appearance.

S: Others have commented on the resin nose on this beer, but the batch I drank (4.20) is much more fruity than resiny. I get alot of tropical fruits - pineapple, mango, grapefruit and a little hint of lemon. There's a little pine going on in the background, as well as some slightly floral notes. Powerful aroma overall. Much fruitier than I expected.

T: Initial taste is more subdued than you would expect. Floral and fruity with a hint of bitterness but not the overpowering hop flavor that you would expect from a DIPA. That is, before the pine and grassy flavors really kick in mid-sip. As expected, lingering piney bitterness remains on the tongue well after drinking. A decent - not exceptional - malt backbone on this.

M: Surprisingly full for an IPA during drinking. Must be some Special B in this sucker. Finish is dry dry dry.

O: I am definitely not a hop-head but I had to try this beer after hearing so much about it. Overall, I'm happy with it. What impresses me the most is the complicated hop flavor of this beer. Most DIPA's are strongly bitter....and that's it. This beer, while definitely bitter, is not nearly as harshly bitter as most DIPAs. The hop characteristic in particular is more complex than expected - fruity and floral with a nice resin base. I find DIPAs disappointingly one-note - I think this is the first that I would buy again. Nice job Stone. (1,889 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Got it on tap at the City Beer Hall in Albany, where they were serving it in 8 oz glasses. . . . Body is clear golden with a white head that leaves behind really good sticky lace.

S: Dank hops - green, fresh hop smell. Piney and citrusy, but mostly piney. Strong nose.

T: Resiny, fresh hops are the first impression. There is a modest foundation of biscuity caramel malt, but it's overwhelmed by piney, grapefruity hops. Some earthiness and spiciness as well. Finishes with lingering resiny pine bitterness.

M: Medium in heft, carbonation is medium as well.

O: Excellent stuff - this is a true hop-lover's dream. Dank and tasty. (635 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Batch 5 (04.01.13)

Beer is golden in colour with a fair-sized white head. Pretty good retention, very good lace.

Lots of citrus and tropical fruit scents in the nose. Grapefruit, passionfruit, papaya, a hint of pineapple. Sticky.

Beer tastes like an amped-up Stone IPA. Hop focused with a strong citrus flavour. Grapefruit, orange and some tropical fruit flavours: passionfruit sticks out, but there is plenty happening. Finish is a bit spicy and piney, some white pepper. Malt is very low- beer seems to be all hops, with a minimal malt presence. Very nice.

Medium to full bodied, oily, strongly carbonated. A fair bit of alcohol heat.

Overall, really good. Glad I got to try this one. (692 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy By 2.14.14 is easily the best batch of this beer that I have had the pleasure of having. I'm not exactly sure how much of this has to do with me getting it a mere two weeks since it was bottled (and about six days since it arrived in stores), since I had the other two batches I've gotten my hands on a little later than that. Perhaps there's something to do with recipe variation...Who knows. All I can say is, I am blown away by how complex this batch is: incredibly juicy and aromatic and the carbonation and mouthfeel are super spot-on. And where is that alcohol!? Hats off to Stone, the standard bearer of hoppy beer.
---
Finally I have my hands on the much sought after Stone Enjoy By IPA. Very excited to get this into a glass and see what all the hype is about. The specific batch I'm reviewing is Enjoy By 4/1/13 and I consumed it on 3/20/13. I would have loved to drink it sooner, but I'm sure it's still in excellent condition.

Appearance (4.25/5): Pours a nearly clear orange-copper color. Two fingers of white head on a moderate pour. Decent head retention. Plenty of sticky, resinous lacing clings to the sides of my DFH signature snifter. This is what I want my IPA's to look like.

Smell (4.5/5): Nose is super hoppy–dank pine aromas rise from the glass, with citrus pine and tropical fruit adding that mixture of fruit sweetness and bitter twang. Actually quite balanced for a beer billed as a palate destroyer. Smells incredibly fresh and really reminds me of fresh Union Jack IPA in that there's a nice touch of malt sweetness alongside the grapefruit and dank pine going on here.

Taste (4.5/5): This one starts out sweet and then the hops explode...Tropical fruit flavors of passion fruit and tangerine come on in the beginning to open up the tongue with some nice sweeter hop flavors before giving way in the middle to huge, bitter pink grapefruit and pine flavors. That quintessential West Coast hope profile is here but amped up considerably. Excellent flavors here; nothing super complicated tasting, just very well executed. No alcohol in the flavor, so kudos to the brewers on masking the high ABV well.

Mouthfeel (4.75/5): The most remarkable thing about this beer is its bone dry finish. I am not sure if I've ever had an IPA whose finish mimics the aftertaste of grapefruit so well, and I love it. The dryness invites you to go back for another sip, and there's no problem with that–this beer is very drinkable. Carbonation is medium–right where it should be–and body is medium. Great feel all around.

Overall (4.5/5): I really love this beer and would gladly buy 10 more bottles of it if I could. It's what fresh IPA is all about–the bitterness, the citric bite, the dry finish, the drinkability and refreshing qualities...they're all here in spades. I would love to have this beer even earlier in its life. Maybe next time a batch comes to Illinois or Massachusetts. Until next time, remember friends: drink it fresh. (2,972 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

batch 5- Enjoy by 4/1/13. What a delightful beer- I really love the whole idea of the lengths they've gone to encourage freshness in an IPA. Nothing like a fresh IPA! Wonderful delicate floral aroma with some citrus blossom and a touch of floral honey. The taste is beautifully balanced with citrus, floral, herbal, and a touch of pine in the finish. Vibrant and fresh tasting with just enough sweetness to keep things zippy. A touch soft, but just a great beer all around. (473 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -11.1%

4.20 version

A - Pours a very clear golden color. Light white head formation, gone quickly. Little lacing.

S - lightly resinous, not overly overt hop aroma. Has the diesel fuel scent which I normally associate with simcoe.

T - Starts off lightly hoppy, a little bit dank and earthy. Turns more strong, pine, resin, and evil those super dank diesel fuels. Finishes with more of those hefty hops, almost balanced but certainly bitter.

M - Moderate body and a stronger carbonation, light and frothy. Oily and tongue grabbing texture from the hops. No alcohol warmth.

O/D - A very worthy beer. Hides its strong nature very well. Certainly accentuates the fresh hops. Not sure it brings out anything new for me however. (721 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Just brought a bottle home of the 04.20.13 batch from work tonight; even better this time than the last batch I had last year.

Poured a brilliantly white head that after several minutes faded to a think solid layer but with good lacing.

The smell on this batch seems to be a little less piney/resiny and more subtly fruity. Very pleasant.

The taste is certainly pinier than the smell lets on and lets you know again its a double IPA you're drinking.

The mouthfeel is very smooth.

Overall, this a great double, but as they stress on the bottle, it's always best the sooner you drink it.

Prost! (602 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +5.4%

Enjoy by 4/20. Bomber to a snifter, really high expectations

Pours a deep gold, perfect balance between yellow and orange with a finger of foam that has some impressive retention. Beautiful transparency and very little carbonation. Nice sticky lacing, five minutes now and almost all the head is still there. I can't find any faults with it

Aroma of strong hops with a powerful grapefruit back bone. Lemon and lime zest pick through along with a nice earthy pine and some grass. Malts are well disguised yet present, sweet bread along with a touch of caramel. A little bit of alcohol comes through on the finish, everything comes together pretty well

Taste- follows the nose well, straight forward hop bomb with a strong grapefruit along with other citrus esters, lime really coming through for me. The malts through in the middle, sweeter than I was expecting but balancing the bitterness well. The end leaves a nice after taste of alcohol and citrus

The feel is pretty good also, very crisp and even with a solid medium body. There's some heat on the way down, as is expected at 9.4% and a week old which is pleasantly warming. Very dry and sticky finish, everything hold up with the rest of the beer

Overall this stuff wasn't quite what I was expecting, but pretty good anyway, as are all of Stone's brews. Working in shipping, I can appreciate the logistics of the beers concept, but wouldn't advise ordering one for 10$ (and then $20 for shipping) online like I did. I'm not sure it will ever come to my region, so I'll probably have to start trading if I want another, in which case I'd recommend it. Really glad I finally got to try this (1,651 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

On draft at the stone company store in Pasadena Ca

Gold, bright orange in appearance.

The nose is strong over the top pine and citrus.

I am reviewing the 4-1-13 batch and I have to say its the best so far, much more balanced out then previous ones, this time around it was scary how smooth it was. Mango, peach, citrus, 30 minutes later I was still tasting it in the back of my mouth.

Medium body but extremely smooth

Overall it seems that every batch just gets better and better I have not gotten my hands on the latest 4-20-13 batch but I have one bottle of the 4-1-13 batch that I'm saving for the day before the enjoy by date to really wait to the last minute to see how much it changes. If u haven't had it yet what are u waiting for? Amazing! (756 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +7.3%

Bomber poured in a pint glass (OH NO!) Crystal clear bright amber. Large, white, fluffy head and outstanding lacing. Could not ask for more.

Very strong nice bright spruce and orange peel aroma.

All the citrus flavor you would expect and some sweet malt accenting the dry finish.

Medium body, slightly oily.

An outstanding beer and what I expect from Stone! (361 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%

Stone Enjoy Bt 04.20.13 IPA, 22oz into a New Belgium Globe.

A - Crystal clear bright amber. Large, white, fluffy head. Carbonation working very will with the glass etch. Excellent lacing. Could not ask for more.

S - VERY bright spruce and orange peel. Surprisingly refined, high strength. Wow.

T - A caramel-focused, clean american ale with refreshing hop sweetness and flavor accenting the dry finish.

M - Medium body, slightly oily.

O - An excellent beer, and a worthy experiment by Stone. (496 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Stone Enjoy By 04.20.13 (enjoyed on 03.21.13)

22oz bottle poured into a large mug

This is an extremely pretty beer. Pours a clear, rich golden with a coppery tint, beautiful head that fades slowly and appears to be sheeting the sides of the glass, lots of continuous carbonation action. Smell is fresh, grassy, clean, honeysuckle and flowers, citrus.

Taste is sweet, bready up front with a deep bitter backbone, pine and grapefruit zest.

Mouthfeel is thick, slightly chewy, slightly sticky, but not cloying. I might call it creamy. Overall, this is an excellent beer.

---
Stone Enjoy by 04.20.14 (enjoyed on 03.29.14)
It is still an excellent beer. Better than I remember, but comparable to the original review.

---
Stone Enjoy by 07.04.14 (enjoyed on 06.22.14)
I might give this a 5 for aroma. But, it's not so heady or pretty.

---
Stone Enjoy By 12.26.14 (enjoyed on 12.05.14, bottled on 11/13/14)
Heady again, beautiful aroma again. More of a resinous texture that I hadn't noted before.

---
Enjoy By 02.14.15 (enjoyed on 01.25.15)
Not such a big head, but quite pretty. Again with the big beautiful aroma. Not so resinous. Maybe a bit too sweet this time.

---
Enjoy By 03.14.15 (enjoyed on 03.05.15)
Too cold today, need to tone down the fridge. Big pretty head anyway. Smell is muted (but I'm blaming temperature). Still delicious. Fruity. Resinous.

---
Enjoy By 07.04.15 (enjoyed on 06.12.15)
Fridge temp adjusted from last time. Still gorgeous. Aroma is bright. Delicous fruity and resinous. (1,508 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap at Fresh Craft in Denver. 16 oz pint glass.

Enjoy By 4.20.13 is a pale golden amber with great clarity and thick white head.

Aroma is super fresh and hoppy as one would expect. Lots of great citrus.

Flavor is very intense. Resiny, dank, hoppy goodness. Very bitter but not totally out of balance.

Mouthfeel is medium-light in body and nicely carbonated.

Overall an excellent double ipa. Worth seeking out. (425 characters)

Batch #5 04.01.13

Appearance- Perfectly clear golden color. Two fingers of off-white, peanut color head.

Smell- Floral citrus explosion. Smells like a wet cellar (Good is this case). Grapefruit, lots of pine needles.

Taste- Punch of hops in the front and back of the tongue almost at the same time. Big grapefruit and pine in the middle. Finishes super dry with an underlying sweetness.

Mouthfeel- It hits you hard with hops and finishes dry like an IPA should, but with an underlying citrusy sweetness.

Overall- Very well balanced. The freshness is so apparent. All the flavors are so vibrant and pronounced. It feels like the flavors are wrestling in your mouth for your attention. Your mouth tingles with hoppy bitterness after. Dare I say my favorite IPA. . . so far. (780 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On tap at Downhouse in Houston. The latest version, I think that is 4-1-13.

A: Pours a nearly clear golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Lots of lace is left behind.
S: Citrus, resiny pine, grapefruit. Spicy, peppery aromas in the nose. I am surprised by the simplicity here, though enjoyable. A bitterness lingers on.
T: Follows the nose with a clean citrus and slightly resiny flavor. A lingering bitterness. Again, I am a bit surprised by Stones restraint. Something they are not known for.
M/D: A medium to full body, Crisp carbonation. Very clean and dry as well. For the alcohol and hoppyness this is very easy to drink. I can have a few easily.

I am as surprised as anyone when I say this is rather muted. Certainly a good citrus, piny hop kick. Though not near what I was expecting from Stone. Which to me is a good thing. That, or Stone is responsible for dulling even the stingiest of non hop heads tastes. Joking aside, this is a good beer. (988 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had an amber color and a clear consistency. There was an inch of foamy, long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: A big, enticing aroma of hops, pine, and a lot of citrus.

T: Tasted of hops, a good amount of alcohol, citrus (grapefruit especially), malt, and a bit of pine as well. As it is with all good DIPAs, this one has a very complex flavor. Extremely powerful and tasty.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: Another tasty brew from Stone. Well made, focused, and definitely drinkable. (561 characters)

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.