Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

(Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros

stoney1031, Mar 10, 2013
4.1/5  rDev -7.4%

Very bright white head with a thick foamy texture. The color appears more golden with less orange hues typical for an IPA.

The scent is remarkably complex with floral and citrus hops blending well. Mango, tangerine, lemon, and orange play out of a sweet citrusy tone. Musky, pine and earthy scents mix in as well, in a strong aromatic display.

The taste is equally complex and strong but more dominated by the earthy, musky and even oniony hop characters. The citrus notes are near the front but its hard to discern the individual tastes. The floral, piney tastes than dominate and finish. No alcohol taste is present but a great warmth spreads through the chest.

I can appreciate this for all the character it possesses even if it is not necessarily my cup of beer.

KYGunner, Mar 10, 2013

JeffSuttonTX, Mar 10, 2013

BigTrubble, Mar 10, 2013
4.1/5  rDev -7.4%

Re-review of newer batches. The 7/4 Enjoy By made me realize that I have this one way underrated. It's got the perfect blend of bitterness and hop flavor for my palate. As such, I now hunt this down every time it shows up in MD.

---

22 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a freaking gorgeous golden amber shade with perfect clarity. The head is a three finger white shade. Everything is good here - retention, texture, and the lacing down the glass. This beer makes Sofia Vergara look like a damn horse in comparison.

S: There is a distinct savory note from the hops that reminds me of onion/garlic. Otherwise, this one comes off as being bitter just from the nose alone; there is a lot of grapefruit peel, black pepper, mango, papaya, pine, and guava. It really smells damn great, but perhaps it's not quite to my preference for an IPA.

T: At first, there's some slight maltiness (in an earthy expression) before it finishes both dry and bitter. Transitioning between the vaguely citrusy opening and piny, bitter ending is a strong midtaste of onion and garlic; I actually like this portion of the flavor profile the best. But the biggest problem here is how boozy this one seems. Maybe it's some of the earthy and oniony qualities coming through on the back end, but there's a real distinct sharp heat to it that doesn't strike me as being hop-derived. Certainly it feels every bit its 9.4% ABV. To be fair, this note helps to rein in the bitterness somewhat, so it's not all bad, I guess.

I've got another one on standby that I plan to serve more chilled than this one - maybe this will tone down the booze some? Regardless, what a letdown.

M: Typical Stone IPA: bone-dry, clean, astringent, and bitter as fuck. Well, maybe not 'as fuck', but it does have a good lingering bite to it. Something like this should be spectacularly drinkable - thanks to all the poorly concealed alcohol I taste here, I'm reduced to vegging over this one for a moderate length of time. Drinkability is actually okay because the general feel is quite good - but then again, I expected something fantastically chuggable.

O: I really thought this was going to be a world-class DIPA, but instead I find it kind of harsh and meh. I hate to say it, but this has nothing on some of the local DIPAs I can get fairly readily (Evolution Lot 6 DIPA and Troegs Perpetual IPA); and let's not talk about how badly Lagunitas Sucks pounds this one into submission. Absolutely worth trying, though - hell, I seem to be only one who doesn't love this. But Stone, unless the second bottle I drink manages to make me shit out rainbows and sunshine the way I expected this one to, you are back on my naughty list again.

ThisWangsChung, Mar 10, 2013

GFD400, Mar 10, 2013

WeisGuy, Mar 10, 2013

Japple, Mar 10, 2013
4.33/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 04.01.13

A – The beer pours an incredibly clear and filtered golden orange, almost the like the color of Honey. A foamy two finger head formed as I poured it into my crate and barrel snifter. The head seemed to stick around for some time eventually receding leaving behind some serious lacing.

S – The aroma of this batch is less pungent than I remember from previous examples of the beer, but it still is very citrus forward, with tones of lemon zest, fresh squeezed orange juice and the traditional pineapple an mango hints. There is a strong hop presence with this beer, as its fairly piney and resiny.

T – Huge, bitter resinous hop flavors dominate the front of the beer, followed by the citrusy components I detected in the aroma. Although delicious, this is a very bitter beer, unlike Sucks or Heady which are very tropical and citrus forward. That’s not a negative nock against the beer, just an observation. The taste finishes of very dry with slight bready malt flavors.

M – Fairly light mouth. Fairly astringent (not in a bad way) with a nice dry finish. The high abv is undetectable as I feel little to no heat from the beer.

O – This is not the first Enjoy By I’ve had as its come around my area twice now. I regret not reviewing it the first time as I thought that batch was significantly better. Part of me is really disappointed by the inconsistency I perceive from batch to batch, but the other part of me is loving the brilliance and the quality of this beer. The idea of dating the beers like this is brilliant and I will continue to buy them every chance get because I will always know how old they are without digging for the date. Well done Stone!

dubinsky, Mar 10, 2013

jmmy3, Mar 10, 2013

cheetsmageets, Mar 10, 2013

hsus0225, Mar 10, 2013
4.2/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A: It pours a golden orange, initially a two finger head that receded to a skim. Lots of lacing sticking to the glass and some alcohol legs.

S: Very dank, there's a lot of resinous pine hop aromas maybe some grapefruit. As it warms, the sweeter tropical hops come through, and I'm also getting some mild cat piss/garlic which sounds weird, but it blends nicely with the sweeter hops aroma. Not a lot of alcohol, maybe a light whiff.

T: Follows the nose almost exactly. Hops are earthy and very resinous with pine, grapefruit and more of that onion and garlic thing. There's also some tropical fruit hops flavors that blend with the resinous hops. The beer is pretty bitter and the flavor leaves a resinous lingering bitterness.

M: Medium, slighlty sticky feel especially as it warms up.

O: This one got much better as it warmed up and more flavors started to pull through. I was however slightly let down by this one especially with all the hype around it. I thought it was an excellent beer, but (and I hate to make comparisons) I prefer a DIPA like Sucks for the immense drinability and tropical flavors to the more resinous/dank that Enjoy By has. That being said, brilliant idea by Stone.

Dools9, Mar 10, 2013

trevorpost, Mar 10, 2013

Adkins1203, Mar 10, 2013

jnikkel, Mar 10, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -21%

mjtiernan, Mar 10, 2013

Brewsed, Mar 10, 2013
4.46/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: pretty standard, clear and crisp looking.

S: not sure what it is, but it seems to smell better with every drink...hoppy and fruity at the same time. This is how I want an IPA to smell.

T: just like the smell...hoppy hit with a nice fruitiness to it. The aftertaste stays with you for while...finishes strong. Sooo easy to drink.

M: smooth aind just the right amount of carbonation.

O: very nice IPA...I will enjoy by 4-1.13 as often as I can.

Mcgruff, Mar 10, 2013
Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.