Stone Enjoy By IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Enjoy By IPAStone Enjoy By IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: nrs207 on 08-21-2012

Listing for all Stone Enjoy By xx.xx.xx IPA beers.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Enjoy By IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,254 | Hads: 9,546

I buy these every time they come out. They never disappoint and are always tasty. This is the best commercially available DIPA you can buy IMO. Smooth with a mildly bitter finish (178 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Enjoy by 09-13-13 poured in Lunar Pint Glass

A) Very pretty looking beer, clear, light amber, carbination

S) Pine

T) I wonder if I got a bad bottle, too piney, no sweetness at all.

M) Oily, over carbinated

O) I did not like it, never had a pine bomb before and will never get it again. Sorry Stone (305 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -7%

Serving: 22 oz bottle poured into an IPA glass (12.26.14 release).

Appearance: Clear, bright gold. Persistent white foam with lingering lace.

Smell: Citrus, pine and some fresh onions and mustiness.

Taste: Caramel malt and slight honey sweetness with layers of hops: citrus zest, resin, herbs and savory vegetal notes. Good bitterness level.

Mouthfeel: Medium, slightly oily body.
Medium to soft carbonation.

Overall: Plenty of good hop notes with balancing malt sweetness, but some off key vegetal tones detract a bit. (524 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of the best DIPA's I've ever had. One of the best beers I've ever had; it really is quite amazing. Tried the 12/13/13 and it was 10/10 honestly. Ingeniously fresh with an amazing hoppy flavor, bitter but not overly bitter at all. Perfect. Not a single hint of the 9.4 ABV. Not quite sure on the IBU's but either way, it is everything you could ask for in a beer. Good job Stone, good job. (392 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Light copper color. Thin head with no lacing.

Aroma is piney and musty.

Tastes exactly like it smells.

Nice carbonation. Mouthfeel is substantial without being syrupy.

Great beer for a hop fan. Not the best DIPA, but definitely worth grabbing a bottle or two before the enjoy by date (after which, I assume, Stone's fairy god mother spell expires and the beer magically transforms into skunk Natty Light). (410 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +2.3%

This is the 12.13.13 variation of this beer. 22 oz. bomber poured into Stone pint glass.

A: Pours a slightly chill-hazed bright orange/gold. Head is one finger and white. It doesn't last extremely long, but there are islands of thin, white head throughout. Good lacing.

S: Wow...the smell is truly amazing...one of the best IPAs I've ever smelled. EXTREMELY strong dank, grapefruit smell. Lots of blood orange and mango, too. There are even hints of marijuana present....truly a hop-heads dream smell.

T: Taste is full on hop assault. Extremely dank, yet extremely fruity. Grapefruit, marijuana, mango, orange, pineapple, and a touch of mint on the end. Zero bitterness and only the absolute minimum amount of malt that lets the hops shine through. Really one of the best IPAs I've ever tasted.

M: Medium body. Oily...slick. Not much carbonation. Perfect mouthfeel that allows the hop onslaught to stick around for what seems like forever.

O: Easily one of the top 5 IPAs I've had (and I've had a lot of the "best" IPAs available.) Lots of depth, fairly easy to acquire, great price, and a perfect indicator of when to drink this amazing beer! (1,151 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It poured a nice golden hue with a subdued white head. The aroma of hops jumped out of the bottle with fruity citrus notes, a bit of pine and even the dank hops I know and love. There are obviously a lot of hops which is to be expected from a Stone IPA, but they were handled very well. Loads and loads, but balanced so as not to give you the bitter beer face or palate wrecking experience of some IPAs. There were tropical fruits and citrus on the front end with the pine bitterness coming through on the back leaving a nice bitter coating on your palate. All of these great hop flavors were riding a danky hoppiness that held it all together. The Enjoy By IPA really handled the hops with a more delicate balance. One of my all time favorite IPAs. (749 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Served from a bottle into a snifter at cellar temperature. This bottle reads "Enjoy By 07.04.13," and it was bottled on the 31st of May.

A one finger white head sits atop an illuminescent, clear golden amber body. Looks like any other great DIPA.

It smells like sweet, freshly peeled grapefruit and oranges! A really intoxicating and irresistable citric scent. There be hops here as well.

The orange comes through big-time in the taste, This is followed by juicy, delicious hops, and finished up with a truly splendid, resiny pine bitterness. No alcohol at ALL. Incredible!

The mouthfeel is like a dream... so unintrusive, and perfectly carbonated for full enjoyment of all the flavors.

This is an OUTSTANDING DIPA. And I'd bet that it would stay this outstanding for at least a good month after the printed "Enjoy By" date. After all, I'm drinkin' this one only about a week or so before that date, and it's still FANTASTICALLY POTENT, both in the nose and on the tongue. (977 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Intrigued to try this one. The price point is tough to swallow, but I'm not regretting the plunge (yet). 11-12-13 version.

Poured into a goblet. Pours a nice cloudy orangy-yellow with very little carbonation. The head quickly disappears, even with a vigorous pour. Small amount of lacing.

Pleasant, surprisingly mellow aroma. The hop profile already seems a bit muddled, not quite sure what it wants to be. I'm having trouble teasing out anything distinctive.

The flavor gets a little more specific, with a rich apricot and mild pineapple flavor at the forefront. The alcohol has a decent bite, and borders on harsh. Usually I like this- here the booze tasted a little like it was spiked with a cheap vodka. It simply wasn't compatible.

The mouthfeel was surprisingly sticky, yet wicked dry. I don't really know what to make of it. I guess it slightly compliments the flavor profile, but it's not particularly pleasant in and of itself.

I don't want to call this a complete disappointment. But it's a beer that doesn't really know what it wants to be. It's dry, yet finishes sticky and a little sweet. The hop profile is slightly all over the place- some may call this "complex," but out of a world class IPA, I expect an identity. This is a nicely-made, well-rounded, strong-flavored, yet ultimately boring IPA. (1,318 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +1.4%

5/17/13

A: Perfectly clear gold/amber with a foamy white head.

S: Cleanses-the-senses fresh - crisp, clean pine and sweet grapefruit. With a good swirl a pungent, musty pink grapefruit astringency arrises. There are some spicy floral notes

T: Incredibly drinkable . Crisp bitterness up front, in the middle of the mouth a tropical fruit burst, finishes dry. There is notable orange juice and mango that carries through as well as fresh pine.

P: Fits the other aspects of the beer perfectly. Outrageously drinkable

O: Another great batch - a fantastic beer (561 characters)

Poured from a 1PT 6FL OZ bottle into a pint glass. Enjoy By 09.20.14 IPA (bottled on: 08.16.14 per website - this is indeed "devastatingly fresh" at just over three weeks old!)

Appearance: Pours a clear bright pale body with a nice white head. Significant lacing.

Smell: Bright citrusy wonderful. Even the bottle cap had a fantastic aroma.

Taste: One of the better, if not best tasting IPAs I have ever tasted. If indeed this recipe hasn't changed over time, then I think all of the major players (and favorites) are there: Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe, Nelson Sauvin, Galaxy? Stone has hit all of the high notes for me. This is fantastic!!

Mouthfeel: Nice and smooth, no complaints.

Overall: I hate giving a beer a perfect 5, and don't think I have ever done so thus far, but this could possibly be the best tasting beer I have ever tasted. This is my first time trying this beer and I always thought of it as kind of gimmicky or more of a sarcastic marketing response to the beer nerd community. More than anything though, this is a fantastically crafted, amazingly tasting Double IPA. It has a huge burst of tropical hop flavor and is not overly bitter. I could drink this all day! (1,200 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I am super excited for this beer... One of my favorite breweries making my favorite style super fresh, and it only comes every few months. I had the pleasure of having the 12.21.12 but didn't have a BA account at the time, so I am looking forward to reviewing it.

Enjoy By 04.01.13: It pours an absolutely gorgeous, and perfectly translucent copper tinged gold with tons of effervescing bubbles and a thick, light head. The smell is simply staggering; lemon, orange, grapefruit, tons of pine and hops, sweet mango and pineapple. Traces of malt. It really is an amazing smell; breathe long and deep. The taste is a wave of citrus and hops. Tons of lime and orange peel, buttery caramel, lingering grapefruit and hops left on the palate, slightly peppery. Everything you want out of a good IPA is here. Perfect amount of boozey heat for 9+%. Mouthfeel is smooth and the carbonation really helps bring the flavor to life and accentuates the pepper and citrus. Balanced, amazingly hoppy, a great aroma, this is definitely my favorite beer from stone, and one of my favorites of all time.

Enjoy By 09.13.13: I was afraid I was going to rehype this too much for myself, and set myself up for disappointment, but it was just as good as I remember it. Amazing beer, and the smell is simply exquisite. Freshest hops of any brew I can think of. (1,336 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2%

Bottled on 11/13/14 Enjoy By 12/26/14 enjoyed on 12/2/04

A: Very light for a double ipa slightly orange but mostly a blonde clear amber nice lacing and thin head.
S: Fresh Hops, Pine, hints of tropical fruit
T: Fresh hops right up front but not bitter, citrus. Easy drinking for a 9.4% beer
M: Almost spicy with hops but smooth for such a high %
O: Try this beer if you love fresh hopped ales I thought it was delicious and I don't usually go for high % beers. (461 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +2%

I am relatively new to the world of IPA's but if this is what they are all like I am hooked.

Over the past week I have tasted Heady Topper, Hi - Res and now Enjoy By. All 3 are incredible beers. I place Enjoy By in the middle but closer to Heady than Hi - Res.

Great color, cleaner than Heady. I poured into a pint glass the head was not noteworthy, but the lacing was.

Aroma is fantastic, but my sense of smell is horrid

Taste is clean and maybe a bit more bitter.... Grapefruit? than I prefer, but I assume I will get used to that in the world of IPA's

Overall, I will buy this any chance I get as it was relatively cheap at $9 for the bottle. (653 characters)

4.39/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Date: 05/17/2013
Type: 22oz. Bottle
Vintage: Bottled on 04/12/2013 & best by 05/17/2013
Glass: Half Acre Tulip

Ironically, I was getting ready to watch the Penguin game #2 against the Senators and was shopping for a good beer to drink at a store in Brooklyn and stumbled across this bottle. Now, I am watching the best team in hockey from my hometown and drinking best by 05/17/13 on 05/17/13. Life does not get much better than this!

Poured a golden in color w/ a big 2 finger white head that left sticky lacing on the glass. The aroma was of a massive amount of grapefruit, citrus, pine, and earthiness. The taste was big grapefruit up front, leading into medium amounts of resinous bitterness, finishing w/ vanilla mixed w/ an herbal quality.Medium bodied and somewhat dry. This, like most DIPAs was pretty drinkable.

Overall, a great DIPA from Stone! It was nice to see Stone's concern on freshness and innovation despite how large this brewery has become. This one just has a slight vanilla note on the end and the fact that it needs to finish drier that prevents it from being all-world. In the end, a well made DIPA that did not have many holes, but Stone should thank the Pittsburgh Penguins for filling the rest by winning 4-2.

Go Pens! Stanley Cup number 4 is around the corner. (1,292 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Appearance – Pours an orange golden color with a nice head that sticks around and very good lacing.

Smell – A really strong pine scent with an oily hoppiness.

Taste – Bitter pine.

Mouthfeel – Nicely carbonated. Bitter, but no lingering bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability – A bit over hopped for my taste, though I like that it's not in the aftertaste. (363 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoy By 4-20-15

Look - Pours a deep golden honey with fluffy white head. Small bubbles, decent distribution, good retention, good clinging. 4.25 paws.

Smell - Very dank aromas of green onion, kitty litter, stonefruit, honey, chamomile, strawberry and kiwi. 4.25 paws

Taste - Lots of green onion, citrus rind, lemon drops, sage and peach with a pleasantly bitter finish. Somewhat boozy, with a solid honey sweet malt backbone. 4.25 paws.

Feel - Fairly viscous, lightly syrupy, medium bodied. Tingle on tip of the tongue. 4.25 paws.

Overall - I always enjoy an Enjoy By. 4.25 paws. (590 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -8.4%

I gather this is the second release of the Enjoy By series. A set of beers specifically designed to be enjoyed within a month of production. I say 'set' and 'series' but the beers are all produced with the same recipe, as best as I can tell the only difference being the production date and the markets into which they are released. This is done to add a level of control over the distribution time-frame that is usually not as closely tended to. The reason for all of this attention to detail is the beer is heavily hopped in the first place and burst hopped in the second.

'What is Burst hopping' you say? Well it is the brewing practice of adding a large quantity of hops very late in the boil in order to accentuate the aromas and flavors present within the little luplin carriers. Instead of having hops at the beginning of the boil, say 60 to 90 minutes from the end, you add hops only near the last part of the boil, closer to 15 minutes before the finish, and then at the flame-out and whirlpool stages. This technique accentuates the flavors and aromas of the hops used while deriving bitterness at slightly lower levels. Stone combats this drop-off in overall bitterness by using a Super-Galena extract during the early stages of the boil.

Enough about the brewing and distribution, how about the beer? It pours (into my belled beer glass) A light gold and has a light-tan head that is not so thick as to belie a extra helping of proteins, which dissipates rather more quickly that I had hoped and leaves little lacing.

The nose is big and complex and weighed-down with alcohol. There is a bit of melon-stink (I don't really like most melon), some really-bright citrus, brown-spices like nutmeg and allspice, and maybe a hint of bubblegum. There is more but I will revisit to get into the depths. It has a freaky-big nose, and I like it.

Tastes are well-balanced bitter and sweet with a little tangy hint. The bitterness is not lacking and the sweetness is not lingering. There is a bit of dried grass that presents as I taste this ale. I notice now it is in the nose as much as the flavor but the nose is so bright and fruity that it was obscured before.

Mouthfeel is medium and the finish is a lingering, but not sweet, hop experience. It is not quite dry but attenuation is high enough not to leave a cloying experience in its wake.

There are definitely new sensations to be had in the nose, and the flavor is likewise deep and novel. This is a great beer for so many reasons: flavor, aroma, technique, and attention payed to distribution. I liked the 10 Anniversary Ruination better on a pure flavor/experiential basis but this is a great idea with so much potential that is cannot be overlooked as a harbinger of greatness-to-be (not that Stone has anything to prove, just that they have more to do).

There is a lot of beer in this beer, and that is a good thing. Flavors and aromas are abound.

Slainte! (2,928 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pour is a transparent golden yellow with a relatively small white head, dissipates fast, and doesn't leave a lot of lacing.

Aroma is the first sign that this beer is going to be great. The Hops stand out. Fresh hoppy citrus smell...what fruit or citrus is a mystery to me.

Taste is very hop forward...hops...hops...mysterious fruit flavor , hops. As strange as it sounds that this is a good taste, I also feel as if I could clean my oven or scrub my shower with this stuff. A fresh , clean taste that lingers on the palate... amazing.

Medium bodied mouthfeel that leaves a resinous feeling ...and again, the fresh hops linger!

I am very impressed with this offering from Stone. Not many beers live up to the hype, but Enjoy By is Legit. If you see it on the shelves, scoop it up because it won't be there long. (815 characters)

4.39/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a nice looking gold/straw color with a .5in white head. Looks pretty inviting and very nice for the style.

Smell is a blast of citrus and juicy hops. The immense dry hopping here is very evident. Complex? No, not really, but for this style this is about as good as it gets (for me anyway).

Taste is slightly bitter up front, then delves into a juicy citrus (grapefruit/orange) middle and then a nice dry finish. The slightest bit of harshness starts coming through over time, but never in a bothersome way. No real sense of alcohol in the taste.

Mouthfeel is a bit slick while maintaining a sense of crispness. Good for what it is.

Overall this is a really great IPA and a great concept. Tons and tons of hop juicyness without any intense bitterness. I hope they continue producing this and keep it relatively easy to get. (832 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

9.13.13
A: Pale bronze with a vicious white head. lots of carbonation bubbles from the bottom.

S: Pine tar and resin with a slight floral component. A little herbal. fresh grass and bright sharp citrus before and onslaught of ripe peach, nectarine and orange.

T: Taste definitely doesnt disappoint. Flower pollen and grapefruit hit you at once. Sweet tangerine and burnt orange zest follow it up. Sticky caramel and peach show up before bitter pine resin stick it straight to your tastebuds. A little spicy herbal finish that stays with you all night.

M: Very crisp for a double. light with more carbonation than i expected. proceed with caution because this is dangerously drinkable.

O: Stone has been on fire recently and this is no exception. an absolute standout. I need more! /96 (789 characters)

4.36/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle purchased from Fleming Place in Topeka, KS. Bottle on 08/?/13. Enjoy by 9/13/13. Enjoyed out of a Tallgrass cervoise glass. Poured straight from the fridge.

Appearance: 2 fingers of tight, off white head from a gentle pour. Nice honey colored body and lacing.

Smell: A wonderful waterfall of hop cones. Green pine needles, floral citrus, pineapple and orange peel (like smelling a lemon or an orange before you eat it). Also a bit of green grass in the end. It's like smelling a handful of hop cones. A bit of sweet booze pops up.

Taste: Bright citrus fruits. Lemon zest and orange peel. A bitter pinyness and some grass. A sweet, sturdy malt backbone. Some biscuity malt. Finishes with a bitter herbalness. You can feel the ABV but it's not offensive.

Mouthfeel: Lower carbonation with a medium to full mouthfeel. A substantial beer though one I feel like taking gulps of. Very warming and sweet.

Overall: I just love the nose on this! Worth it just for that. The ABV is never too much and just comes off as sweet and mingles with the malt. Worth the $8 or so dollars. Stone just keeps bringing out the fun beers and I am so glad they're now in KS. One worthy of the hype!
Sipped on and contemplated while enjoying some aged Cheddar and Cryptopsy's None So Vile. (1,280 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4-1-17 rated 4.5

Bottle (5/17/13 on 4/21) to DFH IPA glass

A: Light golden orange color with a off white head and plenty of carbonation. It is also very clean as there is nothing in it and it is completely translucent what a traditionalist might look for in a DIPA but i like it cloudy with hops though I will not hold anything against the cleanness.

S: Well there are definitely plenty of fresh hops in there. In this batch the smell is floral mostly and very clean but there are notes of pine there though it is not too resinous smelling. The hops smell is pretty much dominant, but that is what I expect. It is different then the others I've tried that where more citrusy this beer has none of that.

T: These are not typical hops or at least they are different from the other releases, they have a very bitter hop bite without a lot of resin and is extremely clean. This bite however is powerful and stays on your tongue for almost 30 seconds after one sip. Other then the hop flavor there is not much else there , but the hop bitterness has a significant amount of depth as it unbitters.

M: There is a little resin that stays on the tongue but it is mostly that your pallet is just assaulted with bitterness as this is a palate wrecker for sure. With that being said it is also thick but very watery and clean as can be though the thickness does effect the drinkability it still goes down pretty easily while disguising all of the 9.4% abv so that is impressive.

O: This version is different from the others and have to say i prefer the citrus juicy hops but this beer is very good. The most impressive aspect is definitely how clean it looks, tastes, and feels it is competitive with the big boys like pliny but not as good for sure. It is however a very solid DIPA if you enjoy palate wrecking hop bitterness definitely try this but if IPAs aren't your thing stay away and drink it fresh as this is gonna be a malt bomb fast. (1,938 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bomber of 7/4/15

Poured into a pint glass

Smell is citrus and floral hops with pine and Carmel malts.

Taste follows exactly. Very bitter and hop forward. The 7/4/15 is a great rendition of enjoy by! Smooth and crisp with no boozyness! (238 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Enjoy by 4.1.13. 22 oz. bottle poured into a DFH IPA glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear pale gold with a very substantial white head - about 2 inches with an aggressive pour. Good head retention. Leaves a very nice lacing.

Smell: Huge blast of pine and grapefruit. A little bit of tropical fruit sneaks in there with mango and papaya. There are floral and grassy notes as well, along with a honey sweetness. Slight alcohol presence. Very strong hop profile on this one.

Taste: Not quite as potent as the aroma, but still pretty damn impressive. Again, big citrus, floral, and pine flavors. Bittering hops hit right away and stay around through the finish. The honey flavor present in the aroma is here as well. Alcohol is definitely present in the finish - the only noticeable flaw. The flavor profile is quite similar to Hopslam, but with more bittering hops (and a bit more tropical fruit presence), and a bitmore noticeable alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Stays fairly crisp despite the big body. The bittering hops on the finish dry the palate nicely.

Overall: Phenomenal. The best way to describe it is Hopslam with more bittering hops. (1,132 characters)

Stone Enjoy By IPA from Stone Brewing Co.