2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial StoutKen Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 09-22-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 665 | Reviews: 200 | Show All Ratings:
randylangford

4.95/5  rDev +21.9%

I love this beer. I can't stress how much I appreciate it.

A: Deep Black with a beautiful off white head.

S: Mint Aero Chocolate bar (for Canadians) for everyone else Chocolaty with the perfect amount of mint to taste but not overwhelm the chocolate.

T: Once again a Mint Aero bar

M: Full bodied with a nice level of carbonation.

O: I would drink this beer on a regular basis. It is among the top chocolate beers that I've tasted but it adds in the perfect amount of mint to enhance without overwhelming. I very glad I got to try this and will work on tracking down some more. This beer is probably not perfect for everyone but it definitely hits the spot for me.

11-11-2012 04:10:09 | More by randylangford
warrenout330

4.78/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my delirium snifter

A- pours a pitch black color, thick tan colored head that sticks to the glass for a couple of minutes. Dissolves to a thin layer over the beer leaving behind a very nice sticky lacing down the glass

S- smells of chocolatey mint... like a junior mint. More chocolate pronounced with the mint as a highlight to the overall smell....

T- very close to the smell... very sweet chocolate, that highlight of mint in the back... very well balanced

M- sweet and creamy with a balance of hop bite in the back

O- very interesting take on a RIS by stone... my first colab from them and I'm not the slight bit disappointed... the chocolate and mint are at a perfect harmony for balance and taste.... very delightful

10-31-2012 23:20:01 | More by warrenout330
N3rdM3t4l

Oregon

4.75/5  rDev +17%

12oz silk screened bottle into standard pint.

A: agressive pour got a finger of frothy rich milk chocolate colored head that took a good 15sec to appear. As it falls it is leaving sheets of sticky gooey lacing. A thick cap is left of the pillowy head. Completley opaque jet black. Even when pouring I couldn't see through this stuff.

S:mint first and foremost. Then hints of chocolate and roasted grain. Hardly smells like beer. the mint is too strong and sweet to get much else on the nose.

T: a burst of mint and dark chocolate up front hits hard and delicious. Then a wash of roasted grains screams "i am a stout". Finishes up the first sip with big coffee bean notes like biting into a chocolate covered espresso bean. The coffee bean flavor lingers FOREVER on the palate even as the alcohol burn comes and goes. this is a happy beer, dangerously delicious at 9.6% you just drink and drink and drink.

M: chewy, this beer requires a knife to cut it, it is so thick. The rich smooth mouthfeel makes the rich chocolate and coffee notes in this one extra good.

O: I love this! Picked up a few imperial stouts at a bottle shop in town and have really enjpyed them all, but this is a dessert stout like none other. Stone doesn't always impress me but this does. So good!

11-25-2012 07:30:32 | More by N3rdM3t4l
MacQ32

South Carolina

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours damn near black into my oversized DFH signature glass. Aggressively poured resulting in 3 fingers of caramel/mocha cream head. Retention is great, still a dense half finger more than five minutes later. Lacing is fantastic and covers the glass.

S - Smells like delicious minty rocky road ice cream. Lots and lots of delicious sweet chocolate and maybe a hint of vanilla, mint is present after a few good whiffs.

T - Sooo good. Initially lots of chocolate and vanilla sweetness with fresh minty flavors making a noticeable appearance. Then it gets surprisingly very toasty and bitter (which I love). The roasts bitterness lingers all the way through the finish and carries a lasting aftertaste. Hoppy bitterness more so than roasts malts but it seems that a combination of both give the brew its bitter deliciousness.

M - Medium to full bodied, very very smooth. Minimal carbonation, an excellent drinking experience.

O - I was looking forward to this but really had no idea this would be as enjoyable as it is. One of my favorite stouts.

11-20-2012 04:33:27 | More by MacQ32
hungryghost

District of Columbia

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%

It has been quite some time since I reviewed a beer. This one was so taste-bud twisting good I had to get back on beer advocate.
Pours opaque black with a creamy tan head and leaves a fine lacing.

Aromas of toasty dark malts accompanied by dark chocolate. Just a hint of mint here, a chocolate mint tease.

It started off with expected malt and chocolate notes and then the mint flows across the back of your tongue. It's a poor metaphor but I felt as if the liquid flavor were melting and infusing into my face. Fantastic! The mint is not overwhelming like an after dinner mint, it is a pleasant Andes mint feeling. (Stole the Andes bit from another review. Good one.)

I thought it had a good mouthfeel, not too thin and not thick and chewy either.

To be honest I am generally pretty hard pressed to shell out $10 for a 12oz bottle but man am I glad I did. For my taste this is one of the best specialty brews I have had in quite some time. Well done and well worth the money. Was able to track one down at a local bottle shop and still paid nearly $6. Keeping that one for a special occasion.

12-18-2012 16:38:05 | More by hungryghost
brewtus

4.71/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Poured 12oz into teku.
A- oil black with a dark tan single finger head
S- tons of dark chocolate, nutty, some faint mint, smells like sugar cookie
T- again tons of dark chocolate that never fades, plenty of lactose, slightly sweet, dark fruit, nice faint fresh minty finish
M- thick, almost grainy, very enjoyable.
O- amazing dark chocolate stout, texture is great, very well don't imperial stout. With that being said I wish there was more mint, it's definitely present but the chocolate is so great, you miss a lot of mint. I loved this brew

07-20-2013 04:45:36 | More by brewtus
chugalug06

Colorado

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Thick, black, motor oil pours from the bottle. A thick, foamy, brown head rises from the brew. Lacing is near perfect, small and circular.

Very minty, like an Andes Mint.. Light milk chocolate, bready, and roasty.

It's like mint chocolate milk. Amazing. Carbonation appears to be high, but feel perfect and low. Bitterness is near nonexistent, but a slight rubbing alcohol feel comes out at the end. Sweetness is perfect and should not be altered. Flavors of mint are nowhere near over powering, very relaxed and well thought out. The chocolate is also very light and well done.

A brilliant brew! Amazing recipe, well thought out and blended very nicely. It's almost a good as it could possibly get, only minor tweaks could improve it's mouthfeel. I'm also torn if I appreciate it's (lighter) aroma or if I wish it was slightly less minty. This has got to be one of Stone's best Collaborations. Highly Recommended!!!

11-28-2012 01:29:52 | More by chugalug06
EgadBananas

Louisiana

4.63/5  rDev +14%

If I recall the description on the back of the bottle, I believe the style should be a Russian Imperial Stout.

Pours a black colour, with a rich mocha coloured head, dissipating to a foamy ring. Left nice lacing. The aroma was strong with a rich Belgian chocolate nose, with a subtle sweet mint note, roasted malts and a touch of espresso bean. The taste is perfect: Rich decadent tastes of chocolate, roast, slight coffee, sweetness, and a touch of sweet mint on the finish, causing an ever so hint of coldness on the finish. Has a nice rich feeling on the palate, creamy, full bodied but not overbearingly heavy.

Overall, this is like a phenomenal RIS, gracefully married with a Thin Mint cookie and a dollop of mint chocolate chip ice cream...emphasis on "subtle marriage", and that's the way it should be. I'll be seeking more trades for this and laying plenty bottles down.

10-27-2012 22:58:47 | More by EgadBananas
sukwonee

Washington

4.63/5  rDev +14%

Ok, this beer is amazing. Let me just start there.

12oz bottle poured into my brandy snifter

A: Black as in... black body with about a half a finger light brown head that lasts a long long time. Good amount of lacing.

S: Straight forward. Dark chocolate and mint. Some hops. Smells like chocolate mint ice cream.

T: Wow... chocolate, mint, roasty malt, bitter hops towards the end, perfect amount of minty-ness and sweetness... amazing. Some folks may be put off by the mint taste (because it's definitely there) but I think it really adds to the flavour without being artificial.

M: It's thick, chewy, nice. Relatively god amount of carbonation for the style.

O: wow. I am so glad I picked up multiple bottles. I may try to go get more. I am not a big mint chocolate flavour person, but this beer is just awesome. I actually think that over time, this beer will even be better as the mint flavour mellows out (as... again, I am not a fan of mint flavoured.. anything).

11-15-2012 06:27:06 | More by sukwonee
Ford

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a pint glass

Wow.. the smell of this is off the charts... has me thinking of chocolate chip mint ice cream... mmmm

Taste isn't much different.... so dang good. WIsh I could have found some more of this. I have one bottle left and I want to save it for a special occasion.

Yeah. you can taste mint and chocolate all over... so delicious.

I need to get my friend to make ice cream with this.. or maybe I'll use the last in a shake... or I should probably just enjoy it the way it was meant to be enjoyed...

01-02-2013 21:23:14 | More by Ford
CommanderOfAwesome

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter glass.

A: Thick and dark with minimal head.

S: Strong Coffee and Chocolate smell with a slight mint smell.

T: At first the taste reminds me an Old Rasputin that's smoother, and thicker. The chocolate really comes out after the first hit on the tongue and the finish is where the mint chocolate comes in. Wasn't just a strictly mint finish as I have expected, it really had a mint chocolate taste.

M: Thick and full bodied. Very smooth with minimal carbonation.

O: They hit it out of the park. Best Collab stone has done that I've tasted and that's saying something. Fantastic Imperial Stout that's unique and stands out. My only wish is that it continues so I don't have to search and horde bottles I find.

10-12-2012 02:08:36 | More by CommanderOfAwesome
DonDirkA

Arizona

4.58/5  rDev +12.8%

Nose is dark chocolate, roasted malts, just a hint of coffee and slight notes of mint in the back. Taste is chocolate, dark malts, a hint of mint, coffee, a bit of anise and then more minty notes come in on the back. Its more of a minty coolness at the end. The ABV is well hidden except for the heat that rises up in the stomach. This is yet another awesome Stone collaboration.

The mint comes out a bit more as it warms up and you get that minty cool sensation in your throat on the swallow. Its a pretty awesome brew, I recommend enjoying it at a little higher than fridge temp. Maybe around 50-55.

11-08-2012 08:26:27 | More by DonDirkA
BS-

New Zealand (Aotearoa)

4.56/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pitch frickin’ black with a modest but bubbly tan head that fizzled to a thin ring around the glass. It actually looks a lot like the Dog A, if I remember right.

Sweet, candy-like mint chocolate with hints of bitter burnt malts and loads of melted sweet milk chocolate. The alcohol starts to get noticeable as the beer warms.

Deep, rich, sugary burnt malt notes with sweet chocolate overtones. Mint comes in soon after with hints of roasted bitterness and some bitter hop notes. Some smattering of tanginess and melted chocolate along the way. Finishes with sweet velvety chocolate, a bittersweet presence and a minty, mentholated coolness at the back of the throat. Some alcohol presence but not reflective of the staggering 9.6%.

Rich, syrupy and smooth, but almost too carbonated. Just almost.

I really like this beer. Sweet without getting cloying; rich while eschewing being nauseating. A real class act. A damn good beer.

01-30-2013 16:45:35 | More by BS-
movingtrain

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

There's something to these interestingly spiced, minty beers. They hold a certain, wild appeal to them. They are different, yet familiar...offsetting, but comfortable.

Pours a dark black color with a pretty decent, creamy tan head.

There are hints of mint and chocolate (of course) in the aroma, but also cherry, burnt sugar, wet wood, almond, candied figs, and a few alcoholic whiffs. Each sniff pulls an interesting mix of mint, dark chocolate, and alcohol.

The flavor is, again, of mint and chocolate up front. The imperial stout here really pulls in these flavors and creates a unique marriage. Chocolate is a flavor that comes up in many imperial stouts, but the addition of mint allows a very drinkable quality to this...refreshing, even. It's warming and dark. There are also some notes of raisins, dried dates, vanilla cream, and cinnamon.

Overall, this beer is great beer. The alcohol is up there, but lends a nice warming to a really comforting beer. The mint addition is not too overpowering...and, although it is one of the prominent elements here, seems to be in balance with the hefty style. This collaboration brew is worth trying out.

10-29-2012 22:46:08 | More by movingtrain
cmak316

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

This is definitely an after dinner beer. Its strong flavors and aroma go great with similar flavors of this brew, or perhaps an old fashioned doughnut.

The second time around having this beer, first time was three months ago, the strong (almost too strong) mint flavor overpowering the beer has mellowed to a nice balance with the roasty, chocolate, coffee flavors which contribute to an overall complex yet decipherable taste.

Again, six months after the initial review and the stout sitting in my appropriated refrigerator, the flavors mellow down and blend into a decipherable symphony of wonderful sensations. The mint no longer overpowers the coffee and roasty notes and is a very good beer. Would go excellent with vanilla ice-cream.

Black mahogany color, leather colored head with a lacy feel, and a unique silky mouth feel make this a wonderful stout.

01-18-2013 03:37:27 | More by cmak316
Halcyondays

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a jet black with brown hints. A big 3 finger tan head erupts, but dies down pretty quickly. Some spotty lace is left.

S: Smells just like an Andes mint, pretty cool actually. I can feel it in my eyes if I get too close. Definite notes of dark chocolate as well.

T: Sweet chocolate and mint, cream, with a hint of coffee. Clear bitter cocoa to finish, with some roast.

M: Medium to full-bodied, very creamy and frothy, a soft carbonation obviously. Long minty aftertaste.

O: I've never been a fan of the much heralded Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream, but this is a damn good effort and fun to boot. Like drinking an Andes mint with some York Peppermint Patties in the finish. Bootlegger's does a Mint Chocolate Porter for their winter seasonal, but this is taking it to the next level.

10-14-2012 03:43:45 | More by Halcyondays
Ivegotmule

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had to flirt with the girl at Total Wine in Winston Salem just to get two 12oz bottles. $3.99 per bottle. No dates. Limit one per customer. Pretty stoked. Poured medium into my levitation pint glass.

Appearance. 5. Gorgeous black thick beer with no light coming through at all. One finger medium brown head that fades quickly with hardly any lacing.

Smell. 4.5. Mint all up front. As is warms a bit and settles has a nice burnt chocolate smell. Some coffee. And those beautiful Stone hops.

Taste. 4.5. It really does taste like an Andes mint with coffee and hops. I really like it. Complex, delicious, and the hops on my tongue really makes the mint and sweetness all blend perfectly.

Mouthfeel. 4.5. It is not as thick as it looks. Not a whole lot of carbonation, which I prefer, and it drinks amazingly easy for what it is. The alcohol is there, but not in a bad way whatsoever.

Overall. 4.5. I really like this beer. If it was added to the Stone lineup, I would buy it regularly. I don't feel like it is a "dessert beer" as I could drink several as the large hop presence really makes it different from other chocolate stouts I've had that are over the top sweet. Cheers to the collaborators on this one. I don't know if I will have the will power to hold onto the second bottle for 3 years as the bottle suggests. Drink responsibly!

12-16-2012 00:02:52 | More by Ivegotmule
Blackwolf

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a 12 oz into an oversized wineglass.

A- Poured a deep tar-black body, khaki brown head, lots of tight semi-sticky lacing with great retention.

S- RIch dark cocoa, earthy wood chips, heavy roasted malt, crisp mint, but the malts and dark chocolate my goodness. So bold and rich. I wish I poured this in a tulip, it just opened up so well.

T- Palate follows the nose. Lots of rich dark/bittersweet malt, dark chocolate/cocoa, some light dry hop, mint on the finish along with a subtle alcohol kick. This came off really "whole and earthy" on the taste.

MF- Medium-heavy sticky body, light-crisp carbonation, almost sharp on the tongue before it opens. The flavor sticks the more you sip. Lots of warming finish too.

O- Fantastic. This was everything I hoped for. Very original and bold. Just about sold out on the same day at my work, and I don't know how much distributors have to offer, so jump on this gem before it's gone.

10-09-2012 12:57:04 | More by Blackwolf
DavidST

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter glass, 2012 edition. This pours a semit thick pitch black liquit with a decent tight bubbled mocha colored head which has better than expected retention and leaves a lacing and the beer leaves legs. The smell is quite nice, you get the mint and chocolate, a much sweeter scent than a normal imperial stout, and not as much dark roasted malts. The feel is thick. The taste is pretty good, there is the load of bitterness, dark roasted malts and a hop bite, different than the smell, under that you do get the mint and chocolate. Overall this is a suburb collaboration.

11-13-2012 04:34:03 | More by DavidST
tdm168

Thanks to jtd1969 for sharing this one

A - oil thick, pitch black with a big, brown head that has good retention

S - mint leaves, chocolate, roasted malts

T - huge chocolate, mint leaves, roasted malts, mild bitter finish

M - full bodied, well carbonated, warming alcohol

This beer was awesome! The chocolate was incredible, indulgent, impressive, and rich. The mint was heavy on the nose, but added a nice compliment to the chocolate in the flavor. This has tremendous drinkability for the ABV. If you like a chocolate stout or if you like a little something different, this is most certainly a beer that is worth trying. I am very impressed!

04-30-2013 01:25:30 | More by tdm168
SadMachine

4.49/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes from 11/8/12.

A- Pours a luscious pitch black with a thick light brown head that thins to half a finger and retains well. Thick lacing is left behind.

S- Light but distinct aroma of mint and dark chocolate. Some roasted coffee and malt notes also present. Upon further examination some sweet citrus and pine from hops are detected. VERY complex nose!

T- Taste opens with roasted notes, giving way to a sweet middle of mint and chocolate (big surprise! haha!). A nice bitter bite of pine, mint, and bitter chocolate give this a delightful finish!

M- The body is full, but that is slightly mitigated by good carbonation.

O- I might have expected/preferred a bit more in-your-face sweetness from a chocolate stout, but in true Stone fashion this is excellently balanced and features a good hop character. A delicious, well executed brew.

11-10-2012 17:36:48 | More by SadMachine
UCLABrewN84

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

On tap at Haven Gastropub in Pasadena, CA.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Thick foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of chocolate, cocoa, mint cream, and Junior Mints. Taste is much the same with a really nice cocoa and minty finish. There is a mild roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good beer that is super tasty and easy to drink.

09-22-2012 01:45:12 | More by UCLABrewN84
ThePaleRider

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

A - Pitch black with a nice tan head. Can't see any light through this imperial stout. Thick lacing on the side of the glass. I can't imagine a beer being much more beautiful.

S - Heavy chocolate, nice sweet malts, and just a nice amount of mint thrown. Resembles a light peppermint patty. Very nice.

T - Wow, I can't believe how awesome this beer tastes. The only other beer I've had with mint was the Dogfish Black and Blue, and in my opinion was not a good one. My expectations were very low of this beer and I'm very, very pleasantly surprised. Nice minty flavor up front that mellows into cocoa and a little bit of mocha chino. Very smooth.

M - Nice and thick with absolutely no alcohol bite. Light carbonation all the way to the bottom of the glass.

O - So impressed with this beer. Never imagined these flavors would blend well in a beer, but that's what I get for underestimating talented brewers. Hopefully this becomes at least a seasonal beer as I would buy it whenever available.

10-13-2012 05:58:07 | More by ThePaleRider
neenerzig

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured out of a 12 oz bottle into my snifter, this beer pours a very dark brown, almost black color with a nice tan head that is about 2/3 inches thick when poured. After a few minutes the head starts to settle down to a nice thick ring that lines the inside of the glass along with some swirls of foam here and thee on the surface of the beer. Decent lacing. Aromas of milk chocolate and mint, a hint of licorice, and some roasted malt notes. The taste is pretty much the same, milk chocolate and malt upfront followed with a bit of vanilla, roasted malts, perhaps a hint of coffee, a slight touch of licorice, and it is all rounded out with a nice citrus hop flavor with just a bit of bitterness on the back end. The flavors blend perfectly as the beer sits and warms up a bit. Absolutely fantastic! Has a crisp, yet smooth, somewhat chewy and sticky, full bodied mouthfeel with moderate to heavy carbonation. The flavors like to linger on the palate for awhile after each sip. Awesome drinkability as the 9.6% ABV is well hidden. Drink this one while you can still find it!

Eric

03-27-2013 05:33:23 | More by neenerzig
Hendry

Vermont

4.46/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Motor oil pour,soapy 3 finger head upon aggressive pour, head hung on for a good spell and left some spotty lacing, but a very nice looing Imperial Stout.

Aroma is roasty and chocolaty , no real menthol from the mint detected.

Velvety minty chocolate flavors. The dividing factor on the reviews I read are that the mint did not have enough presence, and I disagree: the mint is well centered in the mix, starting on the first sip with a slight cooling element from the mint that diminished into a nifty blending of the flavors.

Creamy mouthfeel, coats the palate well, 12 oz. is a perfect size to enjoy solo.

Delicious Stout that delivers what the label advertises: like drinking a rich stout brewed with Junior Mints. I really enjoyed this one and recommend it.

04-01-2014 02:54:09 | More by Hendry
Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout from Stone Brewing Co.