1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial StoutKen Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 09-22-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 664 | Reviews: 200 | Show All Ratings:
MadeInOregon

1.98/5  rDev -51.2%

Nonsense.

Doesn't taste or smell like mint...even artificial, candy mint. What a joke and a waste of money.

This is just an over-alcohol'ed stout--and not even that great of one--with cocoa added. If you like cocoa-powder stouts, Sam Adams makes a decent one for much cheaper...but, even then, adding Nestle Quik to beer is not very difficult or impressive. Always tastes cheap and chalky. This one is no exception.

Sorry Stone-devotees, this beer is lame.

11-05-2012 05:33:43 | More by MadeInOregon
B33R501

2.68/5  rDev -34%

who doesnt like mint chocolate? well, i guess when added to my beer that would be me.

looked good, smelled ok, went downhill quickly after. not enough chocolate, too much mint. got a little better as it warmed but in the end the bad aftertaste never went away. it was strong, and pretty thick. but that aftertaste. blah. good thing i only got the one. and its done.

11-05-2012 14:31:24 | More by B33R501
AilidoBrew

2.9/5  rDev -28.6%

poured into duvel tulip and Chouffe miniTulip

A: big and dark pretty head thick but dissipates quicker than you'd expect; still slower than a lager or pale ale but quicker than it's creaminess implies

S: not much: underwhelming; light

T: didn't notice any mint but my brother did, I'm the beer geek and I'm introducing him to craft but different people pick up on different tastes so i wanted to note that. Could be that the hops overwhelm because it was a lot hoppier than I would have expected and it was much more up front than most beers, and I mean "up front" physically on the tongue, front third and concentrated on the tip, the most dominant flavor overall for me was burnt coffee.

M: silky and smooth; would have matched my perceptions for this beer

O: I was underwhelmed by this beer. It was good but not worth $4 a bottle we sell it at and we are the cheapest. The price wasn't the problem for me. It was the lack of a stand out mint character. It had so many of the parts but didn't come together for me.

12-25-2012 06:34:09 | More by AilidoBrew
Preluderl

2.93/5  rDev -27.8%

My first review!:

A: Pours a dark, thick chocolate brown with a medium brown head. Looks amazing.

S: I don't detect the mint much at all when first poured. Curious. Mint comes out much more as the beer warms, but still not quite what I expected.

T: A little bit of a let down, unfortunately. I barely detect the mint at all in the taste, even when warming, and the chocolate is VERY heavy on the dark chocolate notes. Almost bordering on inedible cacao.

M: Definitely coats the tongue and back of the throat. Smooth, but the taste and feel linger for a good bit.

O: A bit disappointing, I hate to say. I searched high and low in my area for this brew and definitely walked away wishing for something different.

11-11-2012 00:54:45 | More by Preluderl
TWStandley

3.1/5  rDev -23.6%

Poured from the bottle into my over-sized HF wineglass.

Appeared a dark brown/black color with a nice looking 1 finger light brown head.

Smelled delicious, like a muted version of a peppermint patty. Some alcohol could be detected.

Taste...well...not very good. At first I thought I was drinking it too cold, so I let it sit for a bit....not much improvement. The mint is far too overpowering. Tastes like you are drinking mouthwash. The chocolate needs to be much more prevalent for this to taste remotely good. Yikes...

Mouthfeel was a bit thin.

Overall a major miss IMO. I am not sure what type of mint they used but it is far to astringent and offensive to make a good mixture. I love the combo of mint and chocolate and was hoping this would be delicious....

12-28-2012 03:28:46 | More by TWStandley
Rifugium

3.13/5  rDev -22.9%

First had: bottle from Capone's, Norristown, PA
This review: on tap at Capone's

I found this beer to be pretty lousy in the bottle, so I figured I'd give it a try on tap. It was better, but not by a whole lot.

Once again, a solid black pour, a small beige cap that receded to a tiny ringlet. Aroma of dark roasty malts and cocoa, definitely a bit of mint in there, which was not in the bottle at all. The taste was better, displaying a closer sensation to an Andes mint, though more on the chocolaty side, with the mint present but mostly subdued. But, like the bottle, there was still a heavy bitterness in this that was very uncomfortable and made drinking any more than a sampler size impossible for me. Very unbalanced. The mouthfeel was a bit better, standing at about medium, with the booze being better concealed and the chocolate coming out more. Decent overall, but not something I'd go for again, now that I've had both serving types.

11-29-2012 00:46:24 | More by Rifugium
RuckusDu

3.18/5  rDev -21.7%

After the pour the head just kept growing to well over two fingers. Foam is a stout standard cappuccino color. It sticks around a while and leaves decent lacing when it leaves. Aroma is of Andes mints, chocolate, and some nuts. Really just what you would expect. Flavor is way too burnt for me. Roasted chocolate, coffee, and not a lot of mint. I am not digging this. Mouth is too drying but nice carbonation.

Overall it started off well but fell downhill quick. Bitter and burnt.

11-17-2012 14:13:56 | More by RuckusDu
RattleheadKV2

New Mexico

3.2/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured from 12oz bottle into New Belgium Globe glass. Pours an inky black with about a finger and a half of dense mocha colored head from a hard pour. Leaves some very nice lacing throughout the session.

Smell: Mint right up front with some decent roasty chocolate and coffee tones as well. Though they seem to be overshadowed by the mint.

Taste: Mint everywhere! And not really in a good way. For me the mint seems to just overpower everything except from a slight bitterness from the roasted grain. Very, very subtle malt character buried in a mass of artifical tasting mint.

Mouthfeel: Very nice chewy mouthfeel, fairly standard for the style.

Overall: Not bad, but not great either. Just can't get over the overpowering mint flavor. Would probably be a bit better if that was toned down a bit.

12-13-2012 06:03:45 | More by RattleheadKV2
Philousa

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%

This is a beer devoid of color. I don't even get anything against the light. Head looks silky and and dense, but dissipates quickly. A good amount hugs the glass, but leaves the beer bald. Very little roasted malt aroma, mostly sweet milk chocolate and a healthy amount of sweet mint. All the roastiness is in the flavor. Bitter bakers chocolate and dark coffee fades to milk chocolate and confectioner's sugar. The bitterness and sweetness mix, yielding an Andes mint and espresso mix on the tongue. I wouldn't think of hops if not for the bitterness. I'm thinking they just used American hops for bitterness, ad I can't taste it and it's not in the aroma. The feel is slightly viscous, but hides the ABV and amount of malt put into this well. Finish is balanced. While an intriguing idea, I wish there was mint in the flavor. As an imperial stir it's just ok. I like more leather and darker complexities, less sweetness.

11-30-2012 21:20:56 | More by Philousa
scottfrie

3.23/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into Delirium tremens snifter. Thanks a ton Russell!

A: Pours black with a finger dark tan head that faded into a fuzzy collar and wispy film. Sheets of tight bubbled lace were left down the glass after each sip.
S: Dark roasted malts dominate but the next scent I get reminds me of peppermint patties. Light hints of sweet caramel and warming booze poke through as well.
T: Mint is leafy and green and almost has a burn to it similar to mouthwash. The base is full of dark chocolate, roast, caramel and faint coffee. I get notes of bitter dark chocolate and leafy hops in the finish.
M: Full body, slick and greasy mouthfeel with fairly smooth carbonation. Bitter finish, slight booze.
O: Decent but not as good as I was picturing from the description. The mint mixed with alcohol is slightly harsh and the bitter chocolate and hops of the base stout doesn’t help. Body could have been thicker too. I think a rich mint chocolate milk stout would be a better use of mint. Thanks again Rusel_G for hitting a want as an extra.

11-24-2013 21:12:01 | More by scottfrie
stakem

3.25/5  rDev -20%

12oz bottle into a matching Stone pint. Big thanks go to BA anotherjoe who sent this one my way as a much appreciated extra in our recent trade. The brew pours black in color with a finger of brown head resting atop. The cap is composed of rather large bubbles and as it fades, it leaves a webbing of lace sticking tot he glass.

The aroma has hints of ande's chocolate mints along with a familiar tangy alcohol component and dark roasted grain. There is a little bit of a black licorice candy character present blending into some earth and tobacco. I cant help but be reminded of that one brew stone did for their 12th anniversary (i think?) the chocolate oatmeal stout. Towards the back, as the brew warms up, it has a bit of peppermint quality.

The taste is a bit unexpected. It displays a pretty big pine-like hop bitterness that transitions into a flavor of burnt, ashy and bitter grain. There is a bit of peppermint inclusion that mixes with the alcohol and it really gets exaggerated and warms up across the back of the throat. Some hints of roasted coffee and bitter cacao blend into some earthiness and trace amounts of black licorice towards the finish. The combination of peppermint and pine-like hops is a bit much.

This is a medium to fuller bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation. This is an interesting brew that I am sure will be a big hit with some people. I just couldnt get into it. The pine-like hops, the bitter roastiness of the grain and the mint inclusion just make for an experience I just didnt enjoy all that much. I wanted to like this, I really did but I guess mint in beer just isnt my thing. Regardless, I am super appreciative of the chance to try this. Thanks again Joe!

12-19-2012 03:35:21 | More by stakem
Samuel906

3.25/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

A: Rich, dark, and creamy but thinner than most imperials. Thick head, modest lacing.

S: Amazingly minty and chocolaty like the box of thin mints the girl scouts sell you. It truly does smell more like a delicious baked treat than a beer. But I love it!

M: Creamy and smooth, but a little sticky from the sweetness.

T: The initial flavor is absolutely amazing, and exactly what I was expecting out of this beer. Super dark rich chocolate complimented by cool crisp mint; sweet and delicious. Unfortunately, this beer leaves a less than pleasant after-taste that mostly overrides any good flavors left on your palette.

Overall: This is a good attempt but its not perfect. I love stouts and i love mint, and i had high hopes for this beer.there are still some great flavors, and you should definitely try it.

As an addendum, I think this beer might be better a little colder than stouts are normally supposed to be served. I really thing cold and mint go hand in hand, and I think it may help blend some of the flavors.

02-03-2013 02:32:22 | More by Samuel906
Immortale25

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured into a snifter. Bottle says 2012.

A- Pours an opaque black color with a 1/4 inch dark tan head that retains slightly before winding down to a thick ring around the edge of the glass and plentiful wisps of surface foam. Strange column formations of lacing like I've never seen before that adhere slightly to the glass.

S- Yep, just like a York peppermint patty. The mint is sweet and not overpowering. The chocolate is certainly more emphasized which is a plus for me.

T- Oof. The mint makes the beer seem more boozy than it should. Way more mint in the flavor than the aroma. The flavors clash harshly making it difficult to drink. Tastes like a York peppermint patty with a hot, astringent overtone. There's also a capsaicin burn that adds a layer of flavor but is also unwelcome. It's like pepper and mint instead of peppermint if you catch my drift.

M- Stinging and hot with a slight creaminess and medium carbonation. Full body.

O- Well, shit. Started out promising but, once it hit my tongue, I knew it wasn't for me. I'm not a fan of mint chocolate and the only reason I bought it was because my girlfriend wanted to try it. So glad she's here to finish off the bottle cuz, otherwise, I might've drainpoured it. Not necessarily bad, just not my thing. Maybe some age would make this beer more manageable. Definitely not spending another five bucks to find out.

12-01-2012 00:38:12 | More by Immortale25
TruePerception

3.31/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

Collaboration

Stone / Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout: 9.6% ABV;

Appearance: thick, pours a mid-dark brown, light head (brownish), solid black in glass;

Smell: fair amount of coffee, moderate cocoa, touch of licorice;

Taste/Mouthfeel: coffee, a bit of powdered cocoa, very very slight cooling essence;

Pretty Good.

Poured into a pint glass.

09-01-2013 19:03:50 | More by TruePerception
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.33/5  rDev -18%

Received this in a great trade with MCorrea.. Thanks Matt!! Shared with Buckeyeboy.

Poured into my thin tulip... decent enough dark brown head... the brew is black... Okay retention and no lacing.

Nose delivers on the promise.. milk chocolate and mint... I think the mint has a sorta earthy almost dirty quality...

Flavor has all the same elements... but it immediately reminds me of the cheap creme de menthe candies my grandmother had around during Christmas time.. I don't care for it at all.

Body is about right for such a big stout... so is the carbonation..

I know this is not the case, but the chocolate and mint seem "fake" .. does not work in my mind... I had about half this bottle and it was too much.

3.5/3.5/3/4/3.5

11-09-2012 06:07:50 | More by JohnGalt1
starrdogg

District of Columbia

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

Beer pours black with a medium tan head. Smell is not particularly appealing, the mint smells a bit like soap/cleaning products and really overwhelms whatever roasted malt there is beneath. The flavor is better, but still not great. It tastes a bit like an Andes mint, but less sweet and with a slightly-off, artificial mint flavor. The finish is nice and roasty, but it doesn't make up for the sketchy opening flavor. Mouthfeel is full-bodied with nice carbonation. Overall, I was excited for this beer and it really failed to live up to expectations. The mint just did not work as well as I had hoped and came off a little too artificial tasting. The smell especially threw me off.

11-30-2012 04:41:32 | More by starrdogg
beerdrifter

Germany

3.45/5  rDev -15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thick pitch black pour with a quickly fading one finger tan head with no lacing. The mint really dominates the nose along with hints of dark chocolate, mocha, and booze. If they were going for mint chocolate chip ice cream, they definitely nailed it. The taste is much the same with the mint building as it warms. Some nice roasty chocolate notes along with some espresso and a touch of licorice. The taste is more like an After Eight mint. The mouthfeel is thick, syrupy, and oily with a bitter, slightly chalky finish. Overall, this is a really well conceived beer, but just not my cup of tea. I'm not a big fan of mint and chocolate paired together, and this is incredibly rich with both.

12-26-2012 03:46:36 | More by beerdrifter
Franziskaner

Missouri

3.49/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Dark black in color and light does not penetrate it. Minimal head on the pour, but the remaining foam does longer. Aroma is pretty weak. Maybe just a bit of mint. This one definitely more minty than it is chocolaty. The mint is more in the forefront and is almost a bit of a burn on the tastebuds on the way down. The chocolate flavor quickly follows and blends together well in the aftertaste. A pretty smooth mouthfeel.

07-20-2013 00:29:20 | More by Franziskaner
SkeeterBoganski

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured in to a snifter. This beer is oil dark with a really light brown quarter inch foam head. It smells like a lighter version of mint chocolate ice cream, with darker chocolate notes present. The roasted and dark roasted melts are all over this beer, presenting some pretty significant bitter cocoa notes, a touch of coffee or espresso, and just a whimsy of mint. Mouth wise, this is a little chunky and chewy, with some advanced carbonation for the style: sweetness leaves quick with bitter lingering; overall, a pretty interesting beer that is pretty well-balanced; both primary flavors are present wo being overpowering; the bitter doesn't beg for craving more. It's hard to notice any heat.

12-11-2012 02:17:28 | More by SkeeterBoganski
woosterbill

Connecticut

3.51/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a 3F wine-style glass. Thanks Tony!

A: Black with brown highlights, thin light-brown head; nice spotty lace.

S: Dark chocolate, herbal mint, and faint fruitiness. Interesting but not terribly appealing.

T: Follows the nose, but perhaps a bit richer with the chocolate. Mint midway through and a dry, bitter finish. Ok, not the best.

M: Creamy carbonation in a medium body. Solid.

O: A little disappointing, but still quite drinkable.

Cheers!

02-01-2013 02:22:09 | More by woosterbill
barnzy78

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

12oz bottle, pours black with a frothy milk chocolaty head, decent retention and good lacing is left one the glass. As for aromas, mint is there...smells like an Andes mint, milk chocolate, a little roastiness as well. Tastes have some nice chocolatey notes, with mint, anise, and a roasted barley finish while the mint lingers around for a bit. Nice viscous mouth-feel, nice carbonation as well. Overall, good utilization of the mint & I think they achieved their goal for the flavor profile, but does mint need to be in beer? Kind of weird. Definitely interesting and pushes the envelope.

10-22-2012 23:48:36 | More by barnzy78
spoony

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

From a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A-A mildly aggressive pour produced about one finger of reddish-brown head that hung around for a bit and left nice lacing on the glass. The beer was espresso black...not pure black, but not far off. Small bubbles were visible.

S-I smelled roast malts and chocolate with a touch of mint. The mint comes on stronger as the beer warms and the smell gets a little more bitter. I also picked up a hint of molasses and dark fruit.

T-The taste has a stronger mint component than the smell, but medium to dark chocolate is the main player. The mint chocolate flavor is almost artificial tasting, and not terribly complex, but I have tasted worse things. There was a hint of bitterness on the mid-palate, but very little alcohol.

M-The beer has a rich, heavy, creamy feel, with a decent amount of carbonation for the style. The stronger-than-average carbonation offset the sweet, mint chocolate flavors.

O-This is certainly a bit of a gimmick beer, but the mint aspect of it all was not half-bad. Maybe the awesome combination of mint and chocolate was enough to coverup the somewhat artificial flavor, but I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. All that being said, I don't think I will rush out to buy it again.

11-08-2012 04:57:15 | More by spoony
TMoney2591

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Served in a Mundelein Craft Beer Festival shaker pint glass.

Thanks to johnyb for this bottle!

Now that the duck and goose are done, dessert can be had, complete with an appropriate beer pairing. This stuff pours a very dark black-brown topped by a finger of brown foam. The nose comprises darkly-roasted malts and dark chocolate. No mint in sight quite yet... The taste brings in more of the same, though the chocolate comes through a bit bitterer than before. Still no mint... The body is a light-leaning medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a nearly chewy feel. Overall, this is a nice-enough stout, but with one glaring issue: There's no mint character whatsoever anywhere. I made sure to pass my glass around to the other party-goers, especially those who are fans of grasshoppers (the cookies, the drink, and possibly the insect), and no one got a hint of mint. Kinda disappointing. Without the mint, this is just a solid, chocolatey stout. Oh well...

12-28-2012 21:44:15 | More by TMoney2591
angrybabboon

Rhode Island

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

consumed 12/26/12

Appearance: Black, with a tan head - starts off somewhat dense, fades quickly to a small ring, not much of a cap - leaves a nice web of lacing

Smell: Thin mint cookies and alcohol - sweet mint with dark chocolate and semisweet chocolate chips - malts are somewhat one dimensional, if you could describe a cookie as one dimensional - light, sugary sweetness and cookies that were dumped in spiced rum, or maybe a spicy mint liqueur

Taste: Girl Scout thin mints and a shot of liquor, in other words, "breakfast of champions" - potent mint, like a stick of gum - sweet, lightly sugary - dark chocolate, lightly sweetened - somewhat rich malts, taste is seriously reminiscent of a thin mint cookie, with some chocolate cake - lacking any other depth - a strong, remarkable undercurrent of booze, tastes higher than 10% ABV - some bitterness, mostly in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: On the heavy side of medium, smooth, slick, oily, some alcohol burn in the aftertaste

Overall: A different kind of thin mint

This is both charming and somewhat unpleasant. The mint and the chocolate are nice, but there's way too much booze. I'm glad I had a chance to try this, but I don't think I could drink a ton of it. Maybe it will improve with age.

12-27-2012 01:46:44 | More by angrybabboon
wedge

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Impenetrable black body under a solid, creamy caramel colored head that fades to a milky cap and deposits some lovely rings of lacing on the glass. The aroma is pure, clean mint chocolate...exactly as advertised. Lots of icy-sweet aromas along with nougat and a whiff of vanilla. Taste is bigger with a load of rich chocolate malts spiked with peppermint and booze. Pretty damn tasty to start, but then an astringency comes into play and, mixing with the alcohol, makes the finish far less pleasant that it should. I think, surprisingly (or maybe not so surprisingly), the hops are a little too prominent, adding too much bitterness and contributing to the long, lingering aftertaste. I'm happy it doesn't seem to be over the top with sweetness, but the finish is killing me. Pretty full bodied and dry. Shit, it's just not as good as it should have been.

01-21-2013 03:47:03 | More by wedge
Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout from Stone Brewing Co.