1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial StoutKen Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 09-22-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -63.2%

1.98/5  rDev -51.5%

Nonsense.

Doesn't taste or smell like mint...even artificial, candy mint. What a joke and a waste of money.

This is just an over-alcohol'ed stout--and not even that great of one--with cocoa added. If you like cocoa-powder stouts, Sam Adams makes a decent one for much cheaper...but, even then, adding Nestle Quik to beer is not very difficult or impressive. Always tastes cheap and chalky. This one is no exception.

Sorry Stone-devotees, this beer is lame.

2.25/5  rDev -44.9%

2.5/5  rDev -38.7%

2.68/5  rDev -34.3%

who doesnt like mint chocolate? well, i guess when added to my beer that would be me.

looked good, smelled ok, went downhill quickly after. not enough chocolate, too much mint. got a little better as it warmed but in the end the bad aftertaste never went away. it was strong, and pretty thick. but that aftertaste. blah. good thing i only got the one. and its done.

2.9/5  rDev -28.9%

poured into duvel tulip and Chouffe miniTulip

A: big and dark pretty head thick but dissipates quicker than you'd expect; still slower than a lager or pale ale but quicker than it's creaminess implies

S: not much: underwhelming; light

T: didn't notice any mint but my brother did, I'm the beer geek and I'm introducing him to craft but different people pick up on different tastes so i wanted to note that. Could be that the hops overwhelm because it was a lot hoppier than I would have expected and it was much more up front than most beers, and I mean "up front" physically on the tongue, front third and concentrated on the tip, the most dominant flavor overall for me was burnt coffee.

M: silky and smooth; would have matched my perceptions for this beer

O: I was underwhelmed by this beer. It was good but not worth $4 a bottle we sell it at and we are the cheapest. The price wasn't the problem for me. It was the lack of a stand out mint character. It had so many of the parts but didn't come together for me.

2.93/5  rDev -28.2%

My first review!:

A: Pours a dark, thick chocolate brown with a medium brown head. Looks amazing.

S: I don't detect the mint much at all when first poured. Curious. Mint comes out much more as the beer warms, but still not quite what I expected.

T: A little bit of a let down, unfortunately. I barely detect the mint at all in the taste, even when warming, and the chocolate is VERY heavy on the dark chocolate notes. Almost bordering on inedible cacao.

M: Definitely coats the tongue and back of the throat. Smooth, but the taste and feel linger for a good bit.

O: A bit disappointing, I hate to say. I searched high and low in my area for this brew and definitely walked away wishing for something different.

Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout from Stone Brewing Co.