Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial StoutKen Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 09-22-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout Alström Bros
archero

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

12-22-2012 06:37:12 | More by archero
chippo33

Vermont

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

12-21-2012 04:45:45 | More by chippo33
MuddyFeet

Pairs nicely with Milky Way minis. A nice one-bottle beer but a six pack would be too much

Dark brown in color. Brown head that never quite dissolves. Legs coat inside of the glass. Mint chocolate chip is my go-to sundae. And that is the beer version with a bit more mocha and the malty accompaniment. Heavy mouthfeel that coats the mouth. Nose is minty and mocha.

12-21-2012 02:13:26 | More by MuddyFeet
mdfb79

3.95/5  rDev -3.2%

From 12/18/12 notes. Order a bottle of this at Beer Authority in NYC; 12 oz. bottle into a glass. Been wanting to try this one since I heard about it.

a - Pours a pitch black color with one inch of dark tan head that quickly leaves and moderate carbonation evident. Looks pretty good.

s - Smells of mint, candy, roasted malts, chocolate, peppermint, pine, toasted malts, bitter chocolate, and light coffee. Pretty nice and interesting; smells like mint chocolate, as expected and hoped.

t - Tastes of bitter chocolate, roasted malts, mint, peppermint, milk chocolate, pine, burnt malts, toasted malts, coffee. Follows the nose pretty closely; pretty nice overall.

m - Light, thin body and moderate carbonation. Some bitterness as well due to the bitter chocolate taste I think.

o - Overall an interesting beer that I would guess hit what they were going for. Nice mint chocolate smells and tastes which work well together, though the body is a bit thin. I would have liked it to be a little sweeter rather than bitter, but still nice. Cool to try, bet this would go well as dessert with some iced cream.

12-20-2012 21:51:51 | More by mdfb79
Pecan

12-20-2012 08:32:48 | More by Pecan
cfrobrew

3.93/5  rDev -3.7%

Served from a bottle into a jester king glass

A it looks pitch black with a light brown head. Small bubbles
S strong mint and chocolate smell
T the taste is similar to a Girl Scout peppermint party stout I had in colorado. It has a strong mint chocolate taste. Not nearly as strong as a typical imperial. Not overly malty, which is nice.
M not as thick as most imperials. Nice stout feel, very smooth.
O great desert beer. I like it a lot, I wouldn't drink gallons of this but I would certainly have it again and would love to brew a clone!

12-20-2012 04:40:32 | More by cfrobrew
tln13

12-19-2012 22:56:42 | More by tln13
cheribom

2.25/5  rDev -44.9%

12-19-2012 21:39:58 | More by cheribom
stakem

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%

12oz bottle into a matching Stone pint. Big thanks go to BA anotherjoe who sent this one my way as a much appreciated extra in our recent trade. The brew pours black in color with a finger of brown head resting atop. The cap is composed of rather large bubbles and as it fades, it leaves a webbing of lace sticking tot he glass.

The aroma has hints of ande's chocolate mints along with a familiar tangy alcohol component and dark roasted grain. There is a little bit of a black licorice candy character present blending into some earth and tobacco. I cant help but be reminded of that one brew stone did for their 12th anniversary (i think?) the chocolate oatmeal stout. Towards the back, as the brew warms up, it has a bit of peppermint quality.

The taste is a bit unexpected. It displays a pretty big pine-like hop bitterness that transitions into a flavor of burnt, ashy and bitter grain. There is a bit of peppermint inclusion that mixes with the alcohol and it really gets exaggerated and warms up across the back of the throat. Some hints of roasted coffee and bitter cacao blend into some earthiness and trace amounts of black licorice towards the finish. The combination of peppermint and pine-like hops is a bit much.

This is a medium to fuller bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation. This is an interesting brew that I am sure will be a big hit with some people. I just couldnt get into it. The pine-like hops, the bitter roastiness of the grain and the mint inclusion just make for an experience I just didnt enjoy all that much. I wanted to like this, I really did but I guess mint in beer just isnt my thing. Regardless, I am super appreciative of the chance to try this. Thanks again Joe!

12-19-2012 03:35:21 | More by stakem
fmccormi

4.08/5  rDev 0%

Straight pour from a 12oz pry-off bottle to a Cigar City snifter. No bottling or freshness dating on the bottle, but I bought this a few weeks ago not all that long after it came out, so it’s reasonably fresh, especially for an imperial stout. Yummo, freshness.

Appearance (4.5): Ooh, very nice pour on this—a nice, fat finger of chocolate milk-colored foam capping a predictably black-black-black body. Modest retention with better lacing, with a few wide, fat splotches of suds on the sides as the beer goes down. Y’know what? This looks great.

Smell (4.0): Immediately, the nose is dominated by a pretty even mix of that sweet, almost seafoam-green mint filling in mint brownies and that sort of thing, with nice, very dark, bittersweet cocoa powder. Some mildly smoky, well-roasted grain character fills it out a bit, and a little booziness in the back gives the impression of some expensive shot that college girls love and I’d never pay to drink. Makes for a nice beer smell, though.

Taste (4.0): Surprisingly boozy, surprisingly minty, and surprisingly dry at first, but it’s not a bad thing. There more of that intensely dark cocoa powder that comes across, along with that sweet mint dimension—and it’s actually really well-balanced, in terms of chocolate and mint. There’s actually a bit of pithy bitterness in the finish, which flies under the radar. A radar composed of moderately sweet mint and intense, dark cocoa powder. The mint adds to a bitterness in the finish, too, which is nice—well-balanced.

Mouthfeel (4.5): This has a nice, creamy-thick feel to it, balanced with a surprisingly aggressive (for the style) carbonation that’s fine-grained and prickly, but personally I enjoy it. Full-bodied but not heavy in terms of feel, this drinks like its size but not uncomfortably heavy.

Overall (4.0): I reaaally like the idea behind this beer, and it’s executed well. Thankfully, it’s not nearly as sweet as it might’ve been, and I was anticipating the mint to dominate the palate, but that’s not the case. Instead, it’s surprisingly dry for the style, and well-balanced. Good job dudes, this was a collaboration worth the experiment.

12-19-2012 03:07:47 | More by fmccormi
hungryghost

District of Columbia

4.73/5  rDev +15.9%

It has been quite some time since I reviewed a beer. This one was so taste-bud twisting good I had to get back on beer advocate.
Pours opaque black with a creamy tan head and leaves a fine lacing.

Aromas of toasty dark malts accompanied by dark chocolate. Just a hint of mint here, a chocolate mint tease.

It started off with expected malt and chocolate notes and then the mint flows across the back of your tongue. It's a poor metaphor but I felt as if the liquid flavor were melting and infusing into my face. Fantastic! The mint is not overwhelming like an after dinner mint, it is a pleasant Andes mint feeling. (Stole the Andes bit from another review. Good one.)

I thought it had a good mouthfeel, not too thin and not thick and chewy either.

To be honest I am generally pretty hard pressed to shell out $10 for a 12oz bottle but man am I glad I did. For my taste this is one of the best specialty brews I have had in quite some time. Well done and well worth the money. Was able to track one down at a local bottle shop and still paid nearly $6. Keeping that one for a special occasion.

12-18-2012 16:38:05 | More by hungryghost
trepidjesse

4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

First review, but a long-time BA reader.

I only discovered this beer at an Austin Spec's because I was looking for some new beers to try. A great guy there saw my buggy full of stouts, and came back with this gem.

A - The pour resembles a viscous, heavy and mighty stream. It's amazingly opaque and offers no hint of light through the body. The head rises a darker caramel and trickles down the sides of the glass.

S - It smells sweet and (obviously) minty, but not overbearing. It was my first time smelling this from a glass of beer. For me, the aromas are unique and immediately have me guessing at what she'll taste like.

T - Is cookies a taste? It's delicious. Coffee is probably the closest I could come to describing it, but with a surge of mint as you swallow. I expected this to be quite sweet, but it's very drinkable and a shame I only have one. It really beckons you for another drink.

M - Considering how it appears during the pour and what you see in the glass, I was expecting something with a bit more presence. It feels very thin.

O - Wow. This beer impressed me more than I really expected. I had been warned that many mint beers were poor because of how the mint masks everything, but this beer really is delicious. Based on other comments, and the fact that the gentlemen "went in the back" to bring me this beer, I fear that I won't be able to return for a 6-pack of these, but for any uninitiated it's definitely worth it.

12-18-2012 02:43:07 | More by trepidjesse

mmikey8

12-17-2012 00:40:28 | More by mmikey8
prototypic

4.03/5  rDev -1.2%

Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout is a very dark chocolate fudge color. It looks onyx. I’m not seeing any light cut through. Not even at the edges. A darker, mocha colored cap sits on top. It rises to about a finger and a half tall in height. It recedes very slowly and leaves a very attractive, sticky web of lace trailing down the glass.

The nose is good. Smells like the malt base is a blend of chocolate and roasted varieties. Chocolate seems like the stronger of the two. There are hints of light sweet caramel that follow. Peppermint is noted and has a light to moderate presence. I like that a lot. Smells very promising. Secondary scents include a bit of roasted coffee, dark fruit, and maybe molasses. Alcohol is a little noticeable, but doesn’t smell overly strong. Nearly 10? I wouldn’t have guessed that.

The flavor is quite impressive. The malt base features nice bittersweet dark chocolate and light, sweet caramel flavors. There are some roasted notes in the background, but they’re not as strong. There is a lighter, subtle mint flavor that’s very tasty. It’s mild and complements the malt flavors extremely well. Definitely not overbearing. The roasted coffee or espresso flavor is rather strong. It’s good. There is a light dark fruit note and maybe some molasses on the tail. Alcohol is somewhat noticeable, but is blended well over all. Really good stuff.

It has a medium body. Carbonation seems lighter and soft. It does have a smooth feel, but it feels just a little thin. More body would probably be a good thing. For a bigger beer, it goes down really easy. The 12 oz. bottle serving size was the right call.

Mint Chocolate Stout is an excellent collaboration between Ken Schmidt, Iron Fist, and Stone. It’s actually better than I expected it to be. What really makes it work is its mild mint flavor. I feared it’d be too strong. Not the case. Really good stuff. Easy recommendation.

12-16-2012 02:41:00 | More by prototypic
Ivegotmule

4.53/5  rDev +11%

Had to flirt with the girl at Total Wine in Winston Salem just to get two 12oz bottles. $3.99 per bottle. No dates. Limit one per customer. Pretty stoked. Poured medium into my levitation pint glass.

Appearance. 5. Gorgeous black thick beer with no light coming through at all. One finger medium brown head that fades quickly with hardly any lacing.

Smell. 4.5. Mint all up front. As is warms a bit and settles has a nice burnt chocolate smell. Some coffee. And those beautiful Stone hops.

Taste. 4.5. It really does taste like an Andes mint with coffee and hops. I really like it. Complex, delicious, and the hops on my tongue really makes the mint and sweetness all blend perfectly.

Mouthfeel. 4.5. It is not as thick as it looks. Not a whole lot of carbonation, which I prefer, and it drinks amazingly easy for what it is. The alcohol is there, but not in a bad way whatsoever.

Overall. 4.5. I really like this beer. If it was added to the Stone lineup, I would buy it regularly. I don't feel like it is a "dessert beer" as I could drink several as the large hop presence really makes it different from other chocolate stouts I've had that are over the top sweet. Cheers to the collaborators on this one. I don't know if I will have the will power to hold onto the second bottle for 3 years as the bottle suggests. Drink responsibly!

12-16-2012 00:02:52 | More by Ivegotmule
BigE90

Washington

12-15-2012 05:39:59 | More by BigE90
DeanMoriarty

12-15-2012 03:30:44 | More by DeanMoriarty
brstls4drmrs

4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

A - pours a gooey, sticky dark liquid with a half inch coffee flake. Great retention on this one.

S - very malty and some hints of dark chocolate. Coffee sneaks in there along with a small cool mint breeze. Mint is very faint.

T - get a little cake and bread taste in there but not overpowering. The chocolate malt takes care of that aspect. Almost like have a chocolate cake of sorts with a small Andes mint on the aftertaste.

M - coats the tongue well but not too thick. Goes down easy with a little fizz backbone. Slightly on the dry side.

O - a tasty stout that is done very well. I was very pleased with this one.

12-15-2012 03:25:21 | More by brstls4drmrs
Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout from Stone Brewing Co.