Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial StoutKen Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 09-22-2012

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 718 | Reviews: 204
4.95/5  rDev +21.3%

I love this beer. I can't stress how much I appreciate it.

A: Deep Black with a beautiful off white head.

S: Mint Aero Chocolate bar (for Canadians) for everyone else Chocolaty with the perfect amount of mint to taste but not overwhelm the chocolate.

T: Once again a Mint Aero bar

M: Full bodied with a nice level of carbonation.

O: I would drink this beer on a regular basis. It is among the top chocolate beers that I've tasted but it adds in the perfect amount of mint to enhance without overwhelming. I very glad I got to try this and will work on tracking down some more. This beer is probably not perfect for everyone but it definitely hits the spot for me.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Paid almost 5 bucks to try this ($4.29) so seeing the high reviews makes it worth it!

A - Very nice looking stout. Deep, dense, thick and pitch black. Head is well over an inch and sticks around for a bit. Lovely.

S - Well the cocoa nibs really do make themselves known in the glass. The only actual peppermint I got was sniffing the neck when I first opened it. Not disappointing since too much would be off-putting but I guess I expected more mint.

T - Damn this is a crap load of head. First sip is roasty and chalk full of dark chocolate notes. No real peppermint ice cream or york peppermint patty taste so I guess it could use more mint. Regardless it's a balanced stout similar to Stones Imperial except really roasty and bittering.

M - Heavy in both body and roasty flavor. Heavy.

Overall I guess like the overbearing dark chocolate/roasty flavors killed this for me. That and it totally could have use more mint.

Interesting concept but maybe would have made a better regular stout with heavier mint flavors.

edit: It does get better once you let it warm up. The bittering and roast do take a backseat, but completely drown out any chance for the mint to appear. Damn...

2.98/5  rDev -27%

My first review!:

A: Pours a dark, thick chocolate brown with a medium brown head. Looks amazing.

S: I don't detect the mint much at all when first poured. Curious. Mint comes out much more as the beer warms, but still not quite what I expected.

T: A little bit of a let down, unfortunately. I barely detect the mint at all in the taste, even when warming, and the chocolate is VERY heavy on the dark chocolate notes. Almost bordering on inedible cacao.

M: Definitely coats the tongue and back of the throat. Smooth, but the taste and feel linger for a good bit.

O: A bit disappointing, I hate to say. I searched high and low in my area for this brew and definitely walked away wishing for something different.

4.49/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes from 11/8/12.

A- Pours a luscious pitch black with a thick light brown head that thins to half a finger and retains well. Thick lacing is left behind.

S- Light but distinct aroma of mint and dark chocolate. Some roasted coffee and malt notes also present. Upon further examination some sweet citrus and pine from hops are detected. VERY complex nose!

T- Taste opens with roasted notes, giving way to a sweet middle of mint and chocolate (big surprise! haha!). A nice bitter bite of pine, mint, and bitter chocolate give this a delightful finish!

M- The body is full, but that is slightly mitigated by good carbonation.

O- I might have expected/preferred a bit more in-your-face sweetness from a chocolate stout, but in true Stone fashion this is excellently balanced and features a good hop character. A delicious, well executed brew.

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%

wow, never had anything quite like this. it pours really black, deep, intense. not a ray of light showing through. a two inch bubbly mocha head rests on top. the smells is great, tons of roasted malt, big oat profile, and that york peppermint patty smell. the mint is pretty forward, but its sweet mint, not too peppery, although i think peppermint must have been used. chocolate rounds everything out, and i think its milk rather than dark chocolate, as there is a nice sweetness. flavor is real complex, mint is up front right as you sip it, but then relaxes to a big oaty stout. cant believe this is close to 10% abv, it is super drinkable, smooth in the mouth, and not gimmicky at all. id gladly have another. i could also imagine a nitro tap doing wonders for this beer, although the mouthfeel was fine without it. impressive to pull off a beer this bizarre with such drinkability. a must must try.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A - black as night, beautiful 3-finger brown head. Good retention and patchy lacing. Pretty much what you expect from a good stout.

S - chocolate and malts first, then the mint. Which is fine with me. Sweetness, a little vanilla. Reminds me of the Stone Porter with Vanilla that I recently reviewed (a rave), so this pleases me. Not the most complex aroma in the world, but it smells wonderful. A little boozy though.

T - chocolate, cocoa powder, roasted malts, again followed by the mint. Pretty much follows the smell - lovely. Seriously, exactly as advertised, and I love it.

M - lovely and velvety. Could have been a bit thicker - again, reminding me of the porter I just reviewed. Medium carbonation was perfect, booze well-hidden for the ABV.

D/O - dangerously drinkable. I know the mint was hit or miss with some, but personally, I loved it. Anyone who tries this and dislikes it can't be horribly surprised with what they got; the beer tastes just like the name.

3.35/5  rDev -17.9%

Received this in a great trade with MCorrea.. Thanks Matt!! Shared with Buckeyeboy.

Poured into my thin tulip... decent enough dark brown head... the brew is black... Okay retention and no lacing.

Nose delivers on the promise.. milk chocolate and mint... I think the mint has a sorta earthy almost dirty quality...

Flavor has all the same elements... but it immediately reminds me of the cheap creme de menthe candies my grandmother had around during Christmas time.. I don't care for it at all.

Body is about right for such a big stout... so is the carbonation..

I know this is not the case, but the chocolate and mint seem "fake" .. does not work in my mind... I had about half this bottle and it was too much.

3.5/3.5/3/4/3.5

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.58/5  rDev +12.3%

Nose is dark chocolate, roasted malts, just a hint of coffee and slight notes of mint in the back. Taste is chocolate, dark malts, a hint of mint, coffee, a bit of anise and then more minty notes come in on the back. Its more of a minty coolness at the end. The ABV is well hidden except for the heat that rises up in the stomach. This is yet another awesome Stone collaboration.

The mint comes out a bit more as it warms up and you get that minty cool sensation in your throat on the swallow. Its a pretty awesome brew, I recommend enjoying it at a little higher than fridge temp. Maybe around 50-55.

3.58/5  rDev -12.3%

From a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A-A mildly aggressive pour produced about one finger of reddish-brown head that hung around for a bit and left nice lacing on the glass. The beer was espresso black...not pure black, but not far off. Small bubbles were visible.

S-I smelled roast malts and chocolate with a touch of mint. The mint comes on stronger as the beer warms and the smell gets a little more bitter. I also picked up a hint of molasses and dark fruit.

T-The taste has a stronger mint component than the smell, but medium to dark chocolate is the main player. The mint chocolate flavor is almost artificial tasting, and not terribly complex, but I have tasted worse things. There was a hint of bitterness on the mid-palate, but very little alcohol.

M-The beer has a rich, heavy, creamy feel, with a decent amount of carbonation for the style. The stronger-than-average carbonation offset the sweet, mint chocolate flavors.

O-This is certainly a bit of a gimmick beer, but the mint aspect of it all was not half-bad. Maybe the awesome combination of mint and chocolate was enough to coverup the somewhat artificial flavor, but I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. All that being said, I don't think I will rush out to buy it again.

4.3/5  rDev +5.4%

12oz bottle poured into a duvel glass.

A: pours a dark black with a nice finger and a half of chocolaty covered head, dissapates nicley and leaves nice lacing.

S: a very nice chocolaty with a touch of roastyness and a nice bit of mint, I do not really like mint, but this smells delicious, very nice aroma.

T: just as delicious as the aroma milk chocolaty with a very nice kiss of mint, and again I do not really like mint but this is deliciously done.. And very well rounded... This is delicious.

M: overall I wish it was a little bit thicker, but overall the mouthfeel is lush and velvety and very complimentary of the style. Nice.

O: I am very impressed with the use of mint here, this is delicious... I highly recommend finding some if you can.

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz bottle from beer fridge poured into Duvel tulip. Likely temperature of about 50-55 degrees.

A: As one would expect from a hearty stout. Thick, viscous with no light getting through. Small off-white head that dissipates quickly and leaves a nice little ring on the glass.

S: A ton of cocoa up front with mint as an afterthought. Smells a lot like a dark chocolate Andes mint or something along those lines.

T: A good mix of cocoa and mint, tying in the smell I picked up. The mint does not dominate the flavor profile as I feared. Very nice.

M: Thick and pretty big without dominating the palette. Maybe the best aspect of an already good beer.

O: Even if I live in CT now, I'm a San Diego homer. Stone will always have a special place in my heart and I had high expectations for this beer. I was not disappointed and look forward to trying this in a barrel-aged form at some point, as they're bound to at least give it a shot. I can't imagine mint and bourbon tying together well, but I'll sure as hell try it. Recommended.

3.71/5  rDev -9.1%

Dark brown body and big fluffy orange-brown head. Good lace.

Smells mostly like roasty malt with just a trace of leafy mint and hops.

Tastes like bitter, dark cocoa, leafy hops and some peppermint. A tad bitter for my taste (which rarely include Stone beers at all, so take that with a grain of salt.) The mint used tastes to me like peppermint (where I would've preferred spearmint; that is, more mentholated, less bitter, and less spicy) and the chocolate is super dark. That, and I think the hops presence just gets in the way, but I'm just imagining this as a milk stout (which I think might also help it.)

Nice feeling-- not foamy, not watery, just right.

There's a chance that this will improve massively with six months or so. I've had Stone RIS fresh and while it's decent, I don't care for it nearly as much as several months later when the bitterness has calmed down and roasty, leathery richness becomes apparent. I probably won't find out, because I don't anticipate buying (possibly not even finding) another bottle. Again, I usually don't like bitter beer (and never bitter stouts), so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

Glad I was able to locate this Stone-Ken Schmidt-Iron Fist Collaboration beer just over the border in the great state of Ohio. Poured from a bottle into a Lost Abbey Teku. Nice dark pour, nearly black, with a nice fluffy mocha-colored head that has some nice retention for such high ABV. Nice lacing too. On the nose I get some nice roasted notes, some chocolate, and a little bit of mint. I half-expected this beer to smell like a grasshopper, but the mint is not at all overpowering or in your face.

The beer has a full body and a nice, firm, somewhat creamy feel. There are flavors of roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, and, of course, mint. The mint is there at mid-palate and definitely makes its presense known. It cuts through the roastiness pretty sharply and lingers on the finish. It's not too strong, but it's definitely strong enough.

Good beer, but I have a hard time calling it great. I think it's a terrific idea and I think it's extremely well-executed (this beer could have gone wrong in SOOO many ways). The only real knock I have on it is that I feel it could use more sweetness. As it is, the mint and roastiness leave a pungent, ascerbic quality that, while not entirely unpleasant, is not as enjoyable as it could have been.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout from Stone Brewing Co.