Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial StoutKen Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 09-22-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout Alström Bros

EyePeeAyBryan, Oct 27, 2012
3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured into pint glass from 12 oz bottle.

I love these Stone collaborations. Their Green Tea IPA was great, infusing two flavors for a unique, pleasant taste. I believe this beer is no exception: unique, pleasant, but maybe not as appealing to me as the Green Tea IPA.

It looks pitch black, with a very, very thin chocolatey head. I don't think a pint glass is the best presentation for this, but that's all I had, so here we are. Smells like mint chocolate chip cookies, ice cream, Girl Scout Thin Mints...listen, it's mint chocolate, okay? If you don't know what that smells like by now, good god, man!

The biggest factor in any beer is the taste...and this one nails what it is going for. I feel the "imperial" nature of the stout comes through more here than the chocolate or mint does. This thing has some serious kick; it's like minty, chocolatey sludge in a glass. Is that a bad thing? Not at all. However, I'd be intrigued to see how a Mint Chocolate Irish Dry Stout would fare in comparison. While I think they nailed what they were going for here, it's very, very heavy.

That's where the mouthfeel comes in: it lingers in your mouth for awhile. It makes your spit thick and your mouth dry; and boy does that mint come in at the end and linger. Is it bad? Not at all! Again, I knew what this would be like coming into it. But I still can't shake the feeling I might enjoy this more with a drier finish.

So is this the best mint chocolate stout I've ever tried? Yup. Is it the first one? Yup. But for the style, man, this is a dessert beer and a half. Maybe I'm tainted because I had two more slices of pizza than I should have for dinner. Or maybe it's a warm Fall night and if it had been a cold winter one, I'd be lapping this up like water. Still, this is a wonderful stout, and it nails the "mint chocolate" angle in spades.

I would definitely have this again, under different conditions (like a tulip glass, on an empty stomach, when it's raining out). But, as it stands, it's still very enjoyable and comes recommended for anyone the least bit interested in what it's going for.

wrb357, Oct 27, 2012

FullObs, Oct 25, 2012
4.23/5  rDev +3.7%

Served from a 12 oz bottle.

Poured into a tulip glass. The beer pours really nice. It looks very thick and inviting with a pitch black color. The head is a nice amber brown color and settles nicely with some solid lacing. Nothing out of this world, but it pours and looks the way a high ABV stout should.

The smell isnt terribly forward but you definitely get the chocolate with a bit of mint in there as well. I'm wishing it smelled a tad more minty but it still is great in the nose. As for the taste, wow. Very balanced and clean yet roasted malts, dark earthy chocolate, some coffee/espresso, and then at the end it finishes with a really nice fresh mint taste. I'm actually surprised that this is so balanced as I thought it may end up being cloyingly minty, chocolaty and sweet. There isnt much sweetness in this beer which I applaud as the finished product we get is a really nice complex stout.

The mouthfeel is pretty thick and maybe even on the syrupy side but only just a little. Overall this is a really solid imperial stout. I'd get it again without hesitation.

lovelyallen, Oct 25, 2012

Kopfschuss, Oct 25, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a cola color with a tight, mocha head that leaves decent sized chunks of lacing.

Smells of mint notes with some dark chocolate, pretty candy like.

Tastes of the full roasted notes with the mint over top. Dark chocolate, caramel, and a bit of espresso comes through. Decent roasted bitterness, but has a fairly sweet component. Mint definitely comes through and gives it a slight mint chocolate chip feel. Alcohol is well hidden and does not come through.

Mouthfeel is full with a creamy amount of carbonation.

Overall, a very good beer comes through, where I frankly was expecting a hot mess.

ocelot2500, Oct 25, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

A - Pours a dark brown-black color with a finger of frothy chocolate colored head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of lightly roasted dark chocolate malts with mint, lactose, a touch of coffee, a touch of black licorice, and a bit of booze.

T - Starts off with a mix of dark chocolate malts, a bit of lactose sweetness, and some black licorice. Through the middle, the mint comes through with a bit of coffee and some more cocoa. The finish is a mix of roasted cocoa and coffee, mint, a bit of black licorice, and a bit of booze.

M - Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet, warming, and minty finish.

D - Very drinkable. The balance is really spot on with the mint and the base imperial stout.

ngeunit1, Oct 25, 2012

archey, Oct 24, 2012

drewone, Oct 24, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +6.6%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a jet black color and a thick consistency. There was an inch and a half of foamy, tan-colored, long-lasting head. Very good lacing.

S: A solid aroma of malt, chocolate, mint, and a bit of coffee. Not as powerful as you would expect, but still pretty good.

T: Tasted of dark chocolate, roasted malt, a hint of coffee, light hops, a little burnt quality, and the advertised mint in the finish. Very well rounded and extremely flavorful.

M: A decent amount of carbonation with a slightly harsh finish (the burnt quality is a little too prevalent here). Medium- to full-bodied.

O: A completely likeable and well made stout. Drinkable.

avalon07, Oct 23, 2012

Nightrain87, Oct 23, 2012
3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

!2 oz bottle into my pint glass

Appearance: Dark brown/almost black body. Creamy mocha head, which lasts pretty long. Looks great.

Smell: Mint is most prevalent. Then some coffee malt and slight chocolate.

Taste: I'd say the mint over powers the chocolate, but the sweetness of the chocolate is still there to balance out the the initial powerful mint. Slight burn on the back end from the alcohol. The chocolate is dark chocolate tasting, which I like.

Mouthfeel: Pretty syrupy and full bodied.

Overall: Very interesting stout. Just when this one seems to be going out of control mint-wise, it is reeled back in by a sweet chocolatey alcoholic burn. Would like to cellar one and see if it mellows out. This would be perfect to drink post-Thanksgiving dinner/Christmas Eve

MagicJeff, Oct 23, 2012
4.28/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours an inky black with a dense mocha head that settles to a thick cap, leaving lots of lacing clinging to the glass. Definitely getting the cocoa nibs and a nice whiff of mint, similar to a Peppermint Patty or Thin Mint. Nice roasted malt and a bit of coffee as well. Whole lot more mint in the flavor then the nose, this screams of chocolate syrup, fresh mint, and dark roasted malt. Really impressive beer. Mouthfeel is velvet-smooth, with a nearly-full body and light carbonation. Really good beer, one of my favorites of the Stone Collaboration series.

jsanford, Oct 23, 2012
3.55/5  rDev -13%

12oz bottle, pours black with a frothy milk chocolaty head, decent retention and good lacing is left one the glass. As for aromas, mint is there...smells like an Andes mint, milk chocolate, a little roastiness as well. Tastes have some nice chocolatey notes, with mint, anise, and a roasted barley finish while the mint lingers around for a bit. Nice viscous mouth-feel, nice carbonation as well. Overall, good utilization of the mint & I think they achieved their goal for the flavor profile, but does mint need to be in beer? Kind of weird. Definitely interesting and pushes the envelope.

barnzy78, Oct 23, 2012

beerpadawan, Oct 22, 2012

WesM63, Oct 22, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

Wildhorseisland, Oct 22, 2012

CelticAleMan, Oct 22, 2012
3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Pours thick and black, with very little head at all. Basically no head retention or lacing on glass due to there being virtually no head on the pour.

S: Dominate chocolate smell, with definite minty freshness and some roasted malt.

T: As the nose would suggest, there is a strong dark chocolate flavor at the start but minty goodness finishes. There's a decent amount of bitterness that actually combines with the sweet mint taste well. The taste lingers really well.

M: Decently full body with a good amount of carbonation without being too much.

O: I had pretty high hopes with this one, and I think it would be inaccurate to say that I was disappointed. Perhaps the best way of putting it - I think it could have been better. Still pretty good, but I was envisioning the taste of a melted Andes Mint - maybe that was too high of hopes? Biggest disappointment was the appearance with no head. Taste was pretty well balanced between the chocolate, mint, and bitterness. I'll be cellaring one of these. Curious how a year or so will do this one.

Justin_Neff, Oct 21, 2012

JCaweinstein, Oct 21, 2012

jrohrbacher, Oct 21, 2012
3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at the Cap N Cork in Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California for $3.99 and served into a Uinta brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in Los Feliz. Expectations are fairly high given the good reviews I've heard, but Stone has a tendency to be over-hyped. I thought their "Imperial Russian Stout" was fairly pathetic, so I'm hoping this changes my mind and blows me away.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with hard pretzels.

A: Pours a two finger rich dark beautiful tan head of marvelous frothy cream, great thickness, and fantastic retention for the high ABV. Colour is a solid nontransparent black. Opaque. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. A gorgeous beer. I'm hoping it tastes as good as it looks.

Sm: Light chocolate, a bit of cream, dominant spearmint, and underlying dark malts. A light aroma. I expect a beer in this style to have a lot more going on.

T: Mint definitely comes through, especially on the climax and in the third act. I don't know that I like it; it's a strange effect. It does pique my interest, though. Some chocolate complements it nicely. Chocolate malts and dark malts provide the unobtrusive foundation. Unfortunately, there's hardly any roasted barley character. It does drink very smooth; I like it more and more as I drink it. No alcohol is detectable. It's well built, with well executed layering and smart complexity. I don't know that I'd necessarily call it subtle, but the mint does have a creeping understated effect. No yeast comes through. Very pleasant and enjoyable.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and of good thickness. Moderate on the palate; not heavy like many beers in the style. Suits the flavour profile marvelously. A bit of cream up front and again in the climax. Very well executed, never getting too far into porter territory. As smooth as a good Stout can be. I know it sounds strange, but the mouthfeel of the beer evokes the texture of the surface of a mint. Smooth and comforting. I like it.

Dr: I'm impressed. Stone usually disappoints me, but this one is solid. I credit Ken Schmidt, not Stone. A solid innovative brew that really delivers on its strange concept. I'd love to try this on nitro someday. One of the few Stone beers I'd actually recommend to friends. Hides its ABV incredibly well. This is one tasty beer, but that said it doesn't satisfy the expectations (dare I say conventions) of the style. Those obsessed with the style might not like this one. I quite fancy it, however. Priced somewhat highly.

I think this may be the best beer from Stone that I've had.

Serve cold.

B+

kojevergas, Oct 21, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

ThinkRedEsq, Oct 20, 2012
4.08/5  rDev 0%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours very dark brown bordering on black with three fingers of creamy light brown head. A bit of sticky lacing as the head slowly receded. Not much visible through this beer.

Nose is very roasty, dark roasted malt, espresso, a light smokiness, milk chocolate. Not much mint that I can smell, possibly faint and overwhelmed by a nice imperial stout.

Taking a sip, a bit of mint comes through first, then milk chocolate and toasted bread, before the heavy roast rolls in, dark roasted malt, espresso and smoked malt. Finishes slightly astringent from the roastiness, balanced by some sweeter chocolate and mint at the back of the throat.

Full body, very creamy from ample soft but tight carbonation. An interesting beer.

nataku00, Oct 20, 2012

queens1130, Oct 19, 2012
Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout from Stone Brewing Co.