Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial StoutKen Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.60% ABV

(Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 09-22-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Pours thick and black, with very little head at all. Basically no head retention or lacing on glass due to there being virtually no head on the pour.

S: Dominate chocolate smell, with definite minty freshness and some roasted malt.

T: As the nose would suggest, there is a strong dark chocolate flavor at the start but minty goodness finishes. There's a decent amount of bitterness that actually combines with the sweet mint taste well. The taste lingers really well.

M: Decently full body with a good amount of carbonation without being too much.

O: I had pretty high hopes with this one, and I think it would be inaccurate to say that I was disappointed. Perhaps the best way of putting it - I think it could have been better. Still pretty good, but I was envisioning the taste of a melted Andes Mint - maybe that was too high of hopes? Biggest disappointment was the appearance with no head. Taste was pretty well balanced between the chocolate, mint, and bitterness. I'll be cellaring one of these. Curious how a year or so will do this one.

3.85/5  rDev -5.6%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at the Cap N Cork in Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California for $3.99 and served into a Uinta brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in Los Feliz. Expectations are fairly high given the good reviews I've heard, but Stone has a tendency to be over-hyped. I thought their "Imperial Russian Stout" was fairly pathetic, so I'm hoping this changes my mind and blows me away.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with hard pretzels.

A: Pours a two finger rich dark beautiful tan head of marvelous frothy cream, great thickness, and fantastic retention for the high ABV. Colour is a solid nontransparent black. Opaque. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. A gorgeous beer. I'm hoping it tastes as good as it looks.

Sm: Light chocolate, a bit of cream, dominant spearmint, and underlying dark malts. A light aroma. I expect a beer in this style to have a lot more going on.

T: Mint definitely comes through, especially on the climax and in the third act. I don't know that I like it; it's a strange effect. It does pique my interest, though. Some chocolate complements it nicely. Chocolate malts and dark malts provide the unobtrusive foundation. Unfortunately, there's hardly any roasted barley character. It does drink very smooth; I like it more and more as I drink it. No alcohol is detectable. It's well built, with well executed layering and smart complexity. I don't know that I'd necessarily call it subtle, but the mint does have a creeping understated effect. No yeast comes through. Very pleasant and enjoyable.

Mf: Smooth, wet, and of good thickness. Moderate on the palate; not heavy like many beers in the style. Suits the flavour profile marvelously. A bit of cream up front and again in the climax. Very well executed, never getting too far into porter territory. As smooth as a good Stout can be. I know it sounds strange, but the mouthfeel of the beer evokes the texture of the surface of a mint. Smooth and comforting. I like it.

Dr: I'm impressed. Stone usually disappoints me, but this one is solid. I credit Ken Schmidt, not Stone. A solid innovative brew that really delivers on its strange concept. I'd love to try this on nitro someday. One of the few Stone beers I'd actually recommend to friends. Hides its ABV incredibly well. This is one tasty beer, but that said it doesn't satisfy the expectations (dare I say conventions) of the style. Those obsessed with the style might not like this one. I quite fancy it, however. Priced somewhat highly.

I think this may be the best beer from Stone that I've had.

Serve cold.

B+

4.08/5  rDev 0%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass. Beer pours very dark brown bordering on black with three fingers of creamy light brown head. A bit of sticky lacing as the head slowly receded. Not much visible through this beer.

Nose is very roasty, dark roasted malt, espresso, a light smokiness, milk chocolate. Not much mint that I can smell, possibly faint and overwhelmed by a nice imperial stout.

Taking a sip, a bit of mint comes through first, then milk chocolate and toasted bread, before the heavy roast rolls in, dark roasted malt, espresso and smoked malt. Finishes slightly astringent from the roastiness, balanced by some sweeter chocolate and mint at the back of the throat.

Full body, very creamy from ample soft but tight carbonation. An interesting beer.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%

Bottle (2012)

Thanks for the gift, VaTechHopHead!

Black throughout, moderately substantial and heavy-looking body, with a small though persistent dark brown head. This leaves dots of stick down the glass. Pretty and appropriate.

In both aroma and flavor, this one really shines as it nears room temperature. Inititally, this smells of mild roast and just a hint of mint. But as it warms, it really opens up nicely: Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies, mild roast, some vanilla character, and chocolate. Very nice.

The flavor too is incredibly nice and is best at room temperature. At it's coldest temperature, there's a strange bitterness, but that quickly goes away after warming. Again, the Thin Mints and Andes Mints character shines, along with some chocoate, roast, vanilla, and graham cracker. Exceptional flavor.

Medium to near full-bodied with moderate carbonation. Very drinkable.

Delicious, but let it come up to room temperature or you'll be sorry!

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

4.53/5  rDev +11%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a jet black with brown hints. A big 3 finger tan head erupts, but dies down pretty quickly. Some spotty lace is left.

S: Smells just like an Andes mint, pretty cool actually. I can feel it in my eyes if I get too close. Definite notes of dark chocolate as well.

T: Sweet chocolate and mint, cream, with a hint of coffee. Clear bitter cocoa to finish, with some roast.

M: Medium to full-bodied, very creamy and frothy, a soft carbonation obviously. Long minty aftertaste.

O: I've never been a fan of the much heralded Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream, but this is a damn good effort and fun to boot. Like drinking an Andes mint with some York Peppermint Patties in the finish. Bootlegger's does a Mint Chocolate Porter for their winter seasonal, but this is taking it to the next level.

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle to snifter.

A - The darkest possible brown, completely opaque, and an aggressive pour yields a luxurious, pillowy head of nearly two fingers, coffee-colored.

S - Fresh mint leaves, hefty notes of baker's chocolate and bittersweet cocoa up front, followed by a more traditional RIS nose featuring roasted grain, dark fruits, and the slightest hint of anise.

T - Slightly inverted from the nose, this hits like a big, roasty RIS ought, coffee and smoke and dark chocolate and here comes the mint. My fear going in was that this would be creme-de-menthey, sticky sweet mint, but it's absolutely not. A pretty hard peppermint bite is prominent, more Altoids than candy canes. The mint fades into creamy chocolate in the finish. A lot going on here, but it hangs together very well.

M - Full-bodied, coating creamy goodness.

Glad I picked up a couple. I like the idea of grabbing another to age as well, to see how the mint integrates over time.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

4.48/5  rDev +9.8%

A - Pitch black with a nice tan head. Can't see any light through this imperial stout. Thick lacing on the side of the glass. I can't imagine a beer being much more beautiful.

S - Heavy chocolate, nice sweet malts, and just a nice amount of mint thrown. Resembles a light peppermint patty. Very nice.

T - Wow, I can't believe how awesome this beer tastes. The only other beer I've had with mint was the Dogfish Black and Blue, and in my opinion was not a good one. My expectations were very low of this beer and I'm very, very pleasantly surprised. Nice minty flavor up front that mellows into cocoa and a little bit of mocha chino. Very smooth.

M - Nice and thick with absolutely no alcohol bite. Light carbonation all the way to the bottom of the glass.

O - So impressed with this beer. Never imagined these flavors would blend well in a beer, but that's what I get for underestimating talented brewers. Hopefully this becomes at least a seasonal beer as I would buy it whenever available.

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased/opened 10/12/12. 12 oz bottle.

appearance: Very very dark brown, almost black. A few cm, espresso colored head.

smell: I get much more chocolate than mint at first. But the mint is definitely there. It smells like...

taste: ...mint chocolate ice cream! The mint and chocolate are almost all of the taste. And for a 9.6% beer, I don't get much of the alcohol at all. This beer is very sweet, but not disgustingly so.

mouthfeel: A little syrupy. Not a lot of carbonation.

finish: A chocolaty bitterness, like good dark chocolate. I'm wondering if I didn't actually eat a chocolate bar...

overall: I would opt for a glass of this over a bowl of ice cream after dinner. This is a great Imperial Stout, and definitely worth checking out if you love any of the following: mint chocolate ice cream, dark chocolate, sweet things, imperial stouts, Stone.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout from Stone Brewing Co.