Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout - Stone Brewing Co.

Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial StoutKen Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.60% ABV

Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 09-22-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

12oz bottle $3.99. When I saw Ken Schmidt's name on this I got excited thinking about that nice coffee macadamia beer from years back but this was not as tasty. Standard stout blackness with a coffee colored head that leaves a good lace and hangs on through the entirety of the glass. Initial aromas are dark chocolate and then later the slightest whiff of mint. The flavor seems mostly chocolate and malt to me with only the slightest touch of mint. It does have a fleeting reminder of that chalkiness you get when you bite into a thin mint but overall it is not quite a girl scout thin mint cookie (shoutout to Mountain Sun) nor an andes chocolate mint. Not bad but I won't revisit it.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Poured into a tulip.

Opaque black with 3 fingers of brown head. Excellent head retention. Leaves behind nice ringlets of lacing.

Cocoa nibs, charcoal, smoke, dark chocolate, vanilla and mint leaves.

Cocoa nibs, roasted barley, charcoal and light notes of smoke. Bitter dark baker’s chocolate and scorched sugars. Finishes with cooling mint leaves as well as touches of vanilla.

Medium-full bodied, smooth and silky.

The malts are very bitter, roasted and dry. The mint has a nice cooling effect to counteract that. It works very well. This is not overly minted as I had feared. Not exactly the Andes Candies flavor that everyone is boasting about. Tastes more like Turkey Hill Choco Mint Chip Icecream that been slathered on a campfire log. Definitely one of the better Stone Collaborations.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Mint Chocolate Imp. Stout
12oz bottle, Fall 2012 release
The Bruery tulip

A: Pours pretty much pitch black. Some dark reddish colors in the brew when pouring. Nearly two fingers of bottle conditioned fluffy pillow like medium tan color. Leaves some lacing. Some alcohol feet.

S: Pulling the mint and dark chocolate in the nose. Some light roast. Nothing is as aggressive as I thought. It is like an Andes mint, but even milder.

T: Tip of the tongue you actually get more of the roasted malt character. Then you start to get all that chocolate. That fresh natural mint leaves mildness. Really a lot of the flavor comes up from the back end of the palate. Lots of deep dark cocoa and faint mint. Linger there for a while. Really bitter chocolate.

M: It's full bodied. But the high bottle carbonation makes it really easy to drink.

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

Poured a blackish hue with two finger tan head that left lace patches and stuck around for a long time. The roasted malts come through heavy in the aroma, but the chocolate and mint seem subdued in my opinion. Taste and mouthfeel follow pat for me - the stoutish qualities of the beer, heavy barley and malt usage, seem to overpower the mint chocolate notes (which are very present, mind you) and it's a more of a bittersweet stout. Sturdy and full-bodied, a nice sipper with a dry finish and the alcohol hits you in a good way. I enjoyed this beer but on a personal note just wish it was a tad sweeter.

4.95/5  rDev +21.6%

I love this beer. I can't stress how much I appreciate it.

A: Deep Black with a beautiful off white head.

S: Mint Aero Chocolate bar (for Canadians) for everyone else Chocolaty with the perfect amount of mint to taste but not overwhelm the chocolate.

T: Once again a Mint Aero bar

M: Full bodied with a nice level of carbonation.

O: I would drink this beer on a regular basis. It is among the top chocolate beers that I've tasted but it adds in the perfect amount of mint to enhance without overwhelming. I very glad I got to try this and will work on tracking down some more. This beer is probably not perfect for everyone but it definitely hits the spot for me.

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Paid almost 5 bucks to try this ($4.29) so seeing the high reviews makes it worth it!

A - Very nice looking stout. Deep, dense, thick and pitch black. Head is well over an inch and sticks around for a bit. Lovely.

S - Well the cocoa nibs really do make themselves known in the glass. The only actual peppermint I got was sniffing the neck when I first opened it. Not disappointing since too much would be off-putting but I guess I expected more mint.

T - Damn this is a crap load of head. First sip is roasty and chalk full of dark chocolate notes. No real peppermint ice cream or york peppermint patty taste so I guess it could use more mint. Regardless it's a balanced stout similar to Stones Imperial except really roasty and bittering.

M - Heavy in both body and roasty flavor. Heavy.

Overall I guess like the overbearing dark chocolate/roasty flavors killed this for me. That and it totally could have use more mint.

Interesting concept but maybe would have made a better regular stout with heavier mint flavors.

edit: It does get better once you let it warm up. The bittering and roast do take a backseat, but completely drown out any chance for the mint to appear. Damn...

2.98/5  rDev -26.8%

My first review!:

A: Pours a dark, thick chocolate brown with a medium brown head. Looks amazing.

S: I don't detect the mint much at all when first poured. Curious. Mint comes out much more as the beer warms, but still not quite what I expected.

T: A little bit of a let down, unfortunately. I barely detect the mint at all in the taste, even when warming, and the chocolate is VERY heavy on the dark chocolate notes. Almost bordering on inedible cacao.

M: Definitely coats the tongue and back of the throat. Smooth, but the taste and feel linger for a good bit.

O: A bit disappointing, I hate to say. I searched high and low in my area for this brew and definitely walked away wishing for something different.

4.49/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed from notes from 11/8/12.

A- Pours a luscious pitch black with a thick light brown head that thins to half a finger and retains well. Thick lacing is left behind.

S- Light but distinct aroma of mint and dark chocolate. Some roasted coffee and malt notes also present. Upon further examination some sweet citrus and pine from hops are detected. VERY complex nose!

T- Taste opens with roasted notes, giving way to a sweet middle of mint and chocolate (big surprise! haha!). A nice bitter bite of pine, mint, and bitter chocolate give this a delightful finish!

M- The body is full, but that is slightly mitigated by good carbonation.

O- I might have expected/preferred a bit more in-your-face sweetness from a chocolate stout, but in true Stone fashion this is excellently balanced and features a good hop character. A delicious, well executed brew.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

wow, never had anything quite like this. it pours really black, deep, intense. not a ray of light showing through. a two inch bubbly mocha head rests on top. the smells is great, tons of roasted malt, big oat profile, and that york peppermint patty smell. the mint is pretty forward, but its sweet mint, not too peppery, although i think peppermint must have been used. chocolate rounds everything out, and i think its milk rather than dark chocolate, as there is a nice sweetness. flavor is real complex, mint is up front right as you sip it, but then relaxes to a big oaty stout. cant believe this is close to 10% abv, it is super drinkable, smooth in the mouth, and not gimmicky at all. id gladly have another. i could also imagine a nitro tap doing wonders for this beer, although the mouthfeel was fine without it. impressive to pull off a beer this bizarre with such drinkability. a must must try.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A - black as night, beautiful 3-finger brown head. Good retention and patchy lacing. Pretty much what you expect from a good stout.

S - chocolate and malts first, then the mint. Which is fine with me. Sweetness, a little vanilla. Reminds me of the Stone Porter with Vanilla that I recently reviewed (a rave), so this pleases me. Not the most complex aroma in the world, but it smells wonderful. A little boozy though.

T - chocolate, cocoa powder, roasted malts, again followed by the mint. Pretty much follows the smell - lovely. Seriously, exactly as advertised, and I love it.

M - lovely and velvety. Could have been a bit thicker - again, reminding me of the porter I just reviewed. Medium carbonation was perfect, booze well-hidden for the ABV.

D/O - dangerously drinkable. I know the mint was hit or miss with some, but personally, I loved it. Anyone who tries this and dislikes it can't be horribly surprised with what they got; the beer tastes just like the name.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

Received this in a great trade with MCorrea.. Thanks Matt!! Shared with Buckeyeboy.

Poured into my thin tulip... decent enough dark brown head... the brew is black... Okay retention and no lacing.

Nose delivers on the promise.. milk chocolate and mint... I think the mint has a sorta earthy almost dirty quality...

Flavor has all the same elements... but it immediately reminds me of the cheap creme de menthe candies my grandmother had around during Christmas time.. I don't care for it at all.

Body is about right for such a big stout... so is the carbonation..

I know this is not the case, but the chocolate and mint seem "fake" .. does not work in my mind... I had about half this bottle and it was too much.

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

Nose is dark chocolate, roasted malts, just a hint of coffee and slight notes of mint in the back. Taste is chocolate, dark malts, a hint of mint, coffee, a bit of anise and then more minty notes come in on the back. Its more of a minty coolness at the end. The ABV is well hidden except for the heat that rises up in the stomach. This is yet another awesome Stone collaboration.

The mint comes out a bit more as it warms up and you get that minty cool sensation in your throat on the swallow. Its a pretty awesome brew, I recommend enjoying it at a little higher than fridge temp. Maybe around 50-55.

3.58/5  rDev -12%

From a 12 oz bottle into a snifter.

A-A mildly aggressive pour produced about one finger of reddish-brown head that hung around for a bit and left nice lacing on the glass. The beer was espresso black...not pure black, but not far off. Small bubbles were visible.

S-I smelled roast malts and chocolate with a touch of mint. The mint comes on stronger as the beer warms and the smell gets a little more bitter. I also picked up a hint of molasses and dark fruit.

T-The taste has a stronger mint component than the smell, but medium to dark chocolate is the main player. The mint chocolate flavor is almost artificial tasting, and not terribly complex, but I have tasted worse things. There was a hint of bitterness on the mid-palate, but very little alcohol.

M-The beer has a rich, heavy, creamy feel, with a decent amount of carbonation for the style. The stronger-than-average carbonation offset the sweet, mint chocolate flavors.

O-This is certainly a bit of a gimmick beer, but the mint aspect of it all was not half-bad. Maybe the awesome combination of mint and chocolate was enough to coverup the somewhat artificial flavor, but I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. All that being said, I don't think I will rush out to buy it again.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

12oz bottle poured into a duvel glass.

A: pours a dark black with a nice finger and a half of chocolaty covered head, dissapates nicley and leaves nice lacing.

S: a very nice chocolaty with a touch of roastyness and a nice bit of mint, I do not really like mint, but this smells delicious, very nice aroma.

T: just as delicious as the aroma milk chocolaty with a very nice kiss of mint, and again I do not really like mint but this is deliciously done.. And very well rounded... This is delicious.

M: overall I wish it was a little bit thicker, but overall the mouthfeel is lush and velvety and very complimentary of the style. Nice.

O: I am very impressed with the use of mint here, this is delicious... I highly recommend finding some if you can.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz bottle from beer fridge poured into Duvel tulip. Likely temperature of about 50-55 degrees.

A: As one would expect from a hearty stout. Thick, viscous with no light getting through. Small off-white head that dissipates quickly and leaves a nice little ring on the glass.

S: A ton of cocoa up front with mint as an afterthought. Smells a lot like a dark chocolate Andes mint or something along those lines.

T: A good mix of cocoa and mint, tying in the smell I picked up. The mint does not dominate the flavor profile as I feared. Very nice.

M: Thick and pretty big without dominating the palette. Maybe the best aspect of an already good beer.

O: Even if I live in CT now, I'm a San Diego homer. Stone will always have a special place in my heart and I had high expectations for this beer. I was not disappointed and look forward to trying this in a barrel-aged form at some point, as they're bound to at least give it a shot. I can't imagine mint and bourbon tying together well, but I'll sure as hell try it. Recommended.

3.71/5  rDev -8.8%

Dark brown body and big fluffy orange-brown head. Good lace.

Smells mostly like roasty malt with just a trace of leafy mint and hops.

Tastes like bitter, dark cocoa, leafy hops and some peppermint. A tad bitter for my taste (which rarely include Stone beers at all, so take that with a grain of salt.) The mint used tastes to me like peppermint (where I would've preferred spearmint; that is, more mentholated, less bitter, and less spicy) and the chocolate is super dark. That, and I think the hops presence just gets in the way, but I'm just imagining this as a milk stout (which I think might also help it.)

Nice feeling-- not foamy, not watery, just right.

There's a chance that this will improve massively with six months or so. I've had Stone RIS fresh and while it's decent, I don't care for it nearly as much as several months later when the bitterness has calmed down and roasty, leathery richness becomes apparent. I probably won't find out, because I don't anticipate buying (possibly not even finding) another bottle. Again, I usually don't like bitter beer (and never bitter stouts), so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Glad I was able to locate this Stone-Ken Schmidt-Iron Fist Collaboration beer just over the border in the great state of Ohio. Poured from a bottle into a Lost Abbey Teku. Nice dark pour, nearly black, with a nice fluffy mocha-colored head that has some nice retention for such high ABV. Nice lacing too. On the nose I get some nice roasted notes, some chocolate, and a little bit of mint. I half-expected this beer to smell like a grasshopper, but the mint is not at all overpowering or in your face.

The beer has a full body and a nice, firm, somewhat creamy feel. There are flavors of roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, and, of course, mint. The mint is there at mid-palate and definitely makes its presense known. It cuts through the roastiness pretty sharply and lingers on the finish. It's not too strong, but it's definitely strong enough.

Good beer, but I have a hard time calling it great. I think it's a terrific idea and I think it's extremely well-executed (this beer could have gone wrong in SOOO many ways). The only real knock I have on it is that I feel it could use more sweetness. As it is, the mint and roastiness leave a pungent, ascerbic quality that, while not entirely unpleasant, is not as enjoyable as it could have been.

3.91/5  rDev -3.9%

12 oz bottle for $6- something at Pints O'Plenty.

Appearance: Very nice looking beer. Opaque black with a dark brown head and very good retention. Excellent sticky lacing.

Smell: Mint and chocolate of course. Its roastier than I expected it to be, and there's less of a rich, malty aroma than I like in an RIS.

Taste: The mint seems to integrate with the beer flavor better than it does in the aroma. I still think there's a bit too much roasty bitterness, and there's a sharpness from the mint that accentuates this even more. Again there's a lack of malt depth that sort of cheapens the flavor. The aftertaste is excellent, and really captures the flavor of mint chocolate chip ice cream.

Mouthfeel: There's a nice full, smoothness, but its a little overcarbed for me.

Overall: Its kind of a bold attempt, and I had low expectations. In a sense I was pleasantly surprised, but I think it could use some tweaking. I enjoyed it, but one is enough.

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%

Stone bottle into a pint glass

A:black as night almost completely throughout like really dark chocolate with thin tan head that despates quickly

S: it totally smells like mint chocolate maybe with a little spice that could be hops, but the mint really stands out I could smell this all day.

T:okay so wow it hits you with mint dark chocolate but then the mint takes better near menothol but not overpowering (i think it is the alc in there but it is well intigrated) at all the you can actually taste the hops as the mint fades and it goes from mint liquior to actually taste like a stout.

Edit (4/6/2013): So the minty flavor is still there, but this being one of my earlier reviews I think I may have exaggerated the quality of the taste because its there but it is sort of muddled together either that or it has not held up well over time because there are quality stout characteristics there but they don't mix well withe the minty flavors.

M: it is very thick almost chewy witch reminds me of chocolate so I count that as a good thing for this, but there is a little too much carbonation it's almost fizzy but it's still pretty good

O: okay so this isn't your typical IS so its more of its own style it's really be compared. That being said it tastes as advertised and like a beer and I really love it so in my opinion it perfect stone ken and iron fist nailed it. Going to celler my other in hopes the alc calms down and chocolate flavor increases

Edit (4/6/2013): The chocolate did come out more so far but not as much as I had hoped as well as other stout aspects the mint still adds to the alc burn that still seems strong esp for 9.7%. Having a better knowledge of the style I have lowered the score

2.73/5  rDev -32.9%

who doesnt like mint chocolate? well, i guess when added to my beer that would be me.

looked good, smelled ok, went downhill quickly after. not enough chocolate, too much mint. got a little better as it warmed but in the end the bad aftertaste never went away. it was strong, and pretty thick. but that aftertaste. blah. good thing i only got the one. and its done.

1.99/5  rDev -51.1%

Doesn't taste or smell like mint...even artificial, candy mint. What a joke and a waste of money.

This is just an over-alcohol'ed stout--and not even that great of one--with cocoa added. If you like cocoa-powder stouts, Sam Adams makes a decent one for much cheaper...but, even then, adding Nestle Quik to beer is not very difficult or impressive. Always tastes cheap and chalky. This one is no exception.

Sorry Stone-devotees, this beer is lame.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

12 oz bottle into a DFH signature glass. 2012 Collaboration.

A - Pitch black body with a two finger light mocha head. Crazy amount of lacing and retention. Really gorgeous beer.

S - A combination of dry and sweet milk chocolate and peppermint leaves. Just a hint of vanilla on the end. Its subtle yet intense at the same time. Perhaps its the quality of the ingredients, but the aroma is just incredible. Smells precisely like a York patty.

T - Cocoa powder and peppermint initially. The finish is met with a slight malty mineral bitterness and lingering mint and chocolate sweetness. Very tasty and it never becomes "too much" mint or chocolate. Only improves as it warms up, but not nearly as impressive as the nose.

M - Medium bodied and silky. Drinkability is dangerously high as the abv is not even noticable.

O - I could smell this beer all day. I'm not exactly a "mint person" but I can rock a York patty from time to time. This was spot on with that candy. Rich and decadent yet sweet chocolate perfectly balanced with fresh and herbal peppermint. The only flaw of this beer is a slight malt bitterness that comes up in the aftertaste. A surprise hit for me!

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to BA Funkel81 for the extra! 12 oz. bottle served in a Deschute tulip.

A: Pours a dark black color with a nice and thick tan head forming on the pour. It recedes slowly to a thin ring that leaves some sticky sheets of lace.

S: Pure mint leaf up front with a nice roasted malt presence. There is a nice chocolate subtly as well.

T: The mint and chocolate combo really works without the mint being overpowering. The roasted malts give a nice change from the sweetness. A little espresso bean even peaks its head around as well.

M: Medium to heavy bodied with a smooth, medium-low carbonation level.

O: This beer definitely worked and it was nice. More mint came in as the beer warmed and it was nice to have this mint be a mint leaf/Junior Mint type of flavor as opposed to Colgate. Would recommend if you can find it.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

A- pours ebony with two fingers of dark tan head. Solid head retention with a fair amount of lacing.

S- substantial milk chocolate and cocoa powder aromas with fresh aromatic mint blended in. Creamy note in the middle with soft roasted malt characteristics on the finish.

T- creamy chocolate flavors dominate this brew. Candy like mint and cocoa powder hit mid-palate. Finishes with a whisper of roasted malt bitterness and a dry chocolate cake note.

MF- creamy velvity mouthfeel with a heavy medium body. Fine bubbled medium carbonation.

D- good drinkability.

Overall a good stout. It does call to mind the likes of Andes and York peppermint patties. I think hotels should start leaving bottles of this on my pillow.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

1597th Review on BA
Bottle to Woodshop Snifter

2012 Release
Purchased at Total Wine for $2.99

App- Its a very rich and lush looking dark brown, almost black pour. Wont call it inky black but pretty close when it sits for a minute. A small 1 finger tan/brown head sits for a minute to reveal a good cling. Nice sticky lines down the glass.

Smell- Its got a good nose on it, I think its a bit grainular like a crumbled cookie and needs to be a bit smoother and a bit layered. It does bring a ton of chocolate and the mint is pleasant versus being overbearing on this one. I like the idea but the nose needs bit more to it.

Taste- I completely get what they were going for on this one. I enjoyed it a lot and with the ABV it really added a great depth to it. The mint was just right and so was the chocolate, but the grainular notes carry over to the taste and needs to be just a bit smoother on this one.

Mouth- Its a full medium body with a medium creamy carbonation. A nice bit of all the flavors meld together on the feel on this. Like melted liquid chocolate with some mint or a thin mint.

Drink- A nice stout. I'm glad I landed a couple to sit on to see how it changes in a year or two. Good flavors and a good collab between some good breweries.

Ken Schmidt / Iron Fist / Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stout from Stone Brewing Co.