Suitable For Cave Aging - Bourbon Barrel Aged - Stone Brewing Co.

Suitable For Cave Aging - Bourbon Barrel Aged
No picture.

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: HopHead84 on 10-13-2012

Imperial Smoked Porter aged in bourbon barrels. A tribute for Danny Williams.
3.9/5  rDev -2%

I was able to have a couple of snifters of this BBA Porter on-tap during a Stone Tap Takeover event at Hangar 9 in Carbondale, Illinois. In reviewing this beer, I have a bit of trouble solidly assigning numbers as information concerning what this beer is "supposed to be" are a bit vague. In talking with one of the brewers from Stone at the event I was told that this beer was an American Porter aged in bourbon barrels for two years and that the ABV was somewhere in the 8-9% range. A big Porter, such as this, kind of borders on stout for me and then throw it in bourbon barrels for two years and the subtleties die out even more. What I was left with was an impression of a pretty yummy sipper with its strengths heavily weighted in simplicity.

Suitable is an inky black abyss that hits you in the nose with all oak and bourbon. A light skimming in the corner of khaki froth aside, there is no real discernible head. Suitable, reminiscent of BCBS, comes in all sweet dark malt and bourbon and doesn't leave you with much else. It's enjoyable in the same way that sipping a small batch of whiskey around a fireplace would be. One would do best to check any ideas of American Porter at the door as this comes through more as a heavily bourbon aged stout with no hop flavor profile and low bitterness. Across the board, I've decided to somewhat hastily give Suitable 4.0s except in the arena of mouthfeel. If you look like a BBA stout, smell like a BBA stout and taste like a BBA stout then I kind of expect you to play and feel like a BBA stout. Maybe I'm in the wrong here, but this does come off a little light and watery when I let my expectations get the best of me.

All in all, I'll say it again. This is a yummy BBA treat. One would do well do sip one with a friend and share a deep intellectual conversation, stories of heroic deeds of past ages or create epic tales in bard style. Suitable is definitely worth a tasting at the very least. (1,951 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pitch black with a good inch of tan, tight, foam that has some impressive staying power. Smells like the vanilla, molasses, bourbon bomb from hell...in a good way. Decadent, savory, vanilla, chocolate, surprisingly sweet(me likey) the smoke plays the background perfectly, and becomes more pronounced as the beer warms. Nice thick mouthfeel one would expect from Stone. Quite impressed by this bad boy. Great job Stone. Big Thank You to Flannys for the opportunity to try this, you guys rock! (492 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +12.8%

10/12/2012

On tap at Stone.

A: Near black with a frothy beige cap. Scattered lacing. A swirl of the glass reveals an alcohol collar.

S: Stunning blend of caramel, cocoa, brown sugar, soy, coconut, nutty toffee, vanilla, and bourbon. The barrel profile is stellar. Smoke is light but well integrated and not overshadowed.

T: Cocoa, milk chocolate, and caramel with a generous helping of vanilla and a firm bourbon profile. Smoke is almost an afterthought but it's present throughout the flavor. There's a low level of bitterness. Booze is pretty strong in the finish and will probably be off putting to some.

M: The barrel aging thinned out the mouthfeel a little but not to the point of detriment. Upper medium carbonation.

Overall: Aside from the mouthfeel, I think barrel aging really improved upon an already good base beer. The barrel profile is really nice, with loads of bourbon, vanilla, and caramel. I can't believe this is this good. Not that it's the best thing ever, but I haven't been stoked on Stone's bottled barrel aged offerings. As I typed that I realized that this is from a keg and not a bottle and that I've really liked Stone's barrel aged beers I've had on draft in the past. What do they do to beers they plan to bottle that diminishes their vitality? Lots of backblending? I'll never know. (1,332 characters)

Suitable For Cave Aging - Bourbon Barrel Aged from Stone Brewing Co.