Stone Pale Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Pale AleStone Pale Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-23-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,592 | Reviews: 974
3.46/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured into a pint glass. Reviewed alongside Hazed & Infused.

A: Hazy amber with lots of tiny bubbles. Giant, creamy, white head that lasted more than a few minutes. Okay lacing.

S: Some malt and citrus hops. A bit too mild.

T: Moderate sweetness and hop bitterness. Toasted caramel malt and bitter hop finish.

M: Light to medium bodied with silky smooth feel. Soft carbonation.

O: A little too bitter on the finish for my taste, but still pretty good. I liked the Hazed & Infused slightly better.

3.45/5  rDev -10.4%

I just joined BA and this is my first review so if you have any hints on how to express myself better please let me know.

The beer pours out nicely with a two finger head. It has an orangey/red tint to it that I find very appealing in a good pale ale. The smells are great, but the taste I find to be a little normal. I am by no means a hop-head, but I defiantly expected and wanted a hopper taste to it.
It has a very easy drinkability to it but I have to say that when I am looking for another Pale Ale I will probably skip this one and go for something with a little more flavor to it.

3.45/5  rDev -10.4%

Bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottle states enjoy by October 2010.

A: Deep amber color. Fairly clear. Good carbonation. Two finger head. Some lacing.

S: Got some mild hops and malt.

T: Good hop taste but not overly hoppy like other CA crafts. I get the malt and some mild fruits.

M: Smooth....almost watery, in a good way.

D: Solid release from Stone. Very drinkable. I think I could have a few of these. Good ale, but Stone has better offerings.

3.44/5  rDev -10.6%

Purchased from Ray's Liquors in Wauwatosa, WI. Poured bright orange with a thin white head. I detected a faint hop aroma. Light-bodied, smooth mouthfeel, with a slightly dry finish. I tasted a very mild sweetness and small hop aftertaste. This is a well balanced beer and I could drink 2 or 3 in a row. Not my favorite pale ale, but one I might buy again.

3.44/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Darker amber color with a thick beige one finger head with short retention and leaving some laces.
Malty and caramely aroma with undertones of citrusy hops. I was expecting something bolder.
Malty flavor with notes of mild citrusy hops, spices, grass, biscuit and toasted malts and cinnamon. Dry and bitter aftertaste.
Medium body with appropriate carbo.
Balanced Pale Ale, not like an APA that is more like an IPA but with less body. It is maltier, but still bitter and spicer. They kept their original recipe, almost 20 years ago, and those were different times. That said it is not that tamed compared to old school.

3.44/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

Pretty pedestrian stuff for Stone. Looks the part, a little darker than a normal pale ale, minimal head and lacing. No noticeable aroma.

Taste, a mild pale, not the trademark Stone aggressive hopping. A little thicker than your average pale, more roasted malt I guess. Mouthfeel, remains sessionable, no discernable shifts throughout. Kinda pricey for what you get.

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance:
Pours a deep amber color body that is both mildly hazy and incredibly active. Carbonation is in abundance, as is the bone-white head that is persistent on hanging around. Gobs upon gobs of lacing here as well.

Aroma:
The aroma is centered around one thing: Piney hops. Pine cones, spruce branches, and a hint of pepper. A bit boring but decent.

Taste:
Taste wise, you're treated to the same experience as your nose... Plenty of pine notes and hints of pistachios. Bitterness isn't overwhelming but does sting the tongue a bit.

Mouthfeel:
Medium-bodied. The body here is incredibly smooth - almost enough to balance the bitter bite. Don't for a second think you can jump from Budweiser to this though, or you're going to have a bad time. The finish is desert dry, leaving your mouth seeking the nearest oasis.

Overall:
Here we have another west coast Pale that doesn't have enough balance to make it a truly enjoyable beer. Much better examples of the style exist, Bell's Two-Hearted and Three Floyd's Zombie Dust to name a few.

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

Not what I was expecting from a Stone Pale Ale. Where's the hops? Definitely slanted towards the malt, and it's easy to see why Sierra Nevada PA is the standard. Decent enough, but it's easy to get lost in the wash of American pale Ale's and this one gets lost in the wash. Not worth the price.

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

12 oz. bottle. Bottle says to 'enjoy by 04/03/13'. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours a nice ruby copper color with about two fingers worth of fluffy off-white creamy head.

S - Light bready malts with a faint whiff of citrus hops in the background. Not a complex smell, but not off-putting either. Smells lightly refreshing and inviting.

T - Taste follows the nose, lots of nice bready malts paired with a hint of grapefruit hops and a bit of fresh lemon / orange. The bottle says it best, itself, at describing this beer claiming it is "nearly on the modest side". It is a much more tame beer than a lot of the raging hop assaults that Stone Brewing releases. A nice change of pace. Nicely balanced with a nice light body.

M - Smooth and clean mouthfeel. Just a very slight bitter hop aftertaste.

Overall, it is highly drinkable at only 5.40% abv, lightly bodied, and remarkably well-balanced. Definitely a nice take on the style by Stone, I would have it again.

Stone Pale Ale ---3.5/5

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from bomber into pint glass. Pours rusty-orange with nice thick head, good retention and lace, and some particles in suspension as well. Smell initally is of hops, not too strong, but some grains are present as well as a grassy aroma. Taste was a little bland for me. It seemed to be more malty, grassy, and grainy rather than any hops. Hops were there, but very subtle. Moderate carbonation and a thick mouthfeel, leaves behind a plesant aftertaste and oily feeling in the mouth. Overall my least favorite offering from Stone but still a good beer, I think that says a lot about that brewery.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Red amber with a half inch fine tan head

Malty and citrus scent

Sweet at first. Gives way to bitter citrus hops and a little maltiness

highly carbonated and a little chalky. Not as smooth as i was expecting

Overall very drinkable but there are others out there which i prefer much more.

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

a: amber/brown body; very limited white covering on top with light lacing

s: light grainy malts; light citrus hops

t: very grainy; apples; light hint of bitter malts

m: smooth and creamy with light carb

d: pretty mild for a west coast pale; real euro in terms of hops and flavor intensity

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

At first a very nice looking beer with a nice creamy looking head. The smell was not one I'd come to expect from a pale ale, somewhat off smelling to me but clean and fresh. When the beer actually hit my tongue for the first time I was a little disappointed by the result. It's not the actual taste that put me off but rather the strange, lingering bitterness that felt bland and unpleasant. It just worked to mask all the other flavors of the beer, which if I could taste, I'm sure it would be great! I love Stone brewery and will always continue to buy from them, but this is one you will not find me buying again any time soon.

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

It's amazing to think of what Stone can do with four simple ingredients.

Medium Amber color, with medium malt characteristic. It has a very light taste and a sharp but not "in your face feel."

The most relaxed easy drinking Stone Brew out there. Good beer when you would like to drink more than one or two. I'd call this a gateway beer, a must drink!

3.42/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Reviewed from notes.

A-Thick 2.5 finger offwhite head. Clouded dark orange color. Spotty lacing.

S- Hoppy and grassy. Nice bitter smell.

T- Strangely sweet. Bitter as well, as is fitting for the APA. Very refreshing flavor.

M- Light in body, crisp finish. Little carbonation.

O-The classic. Good beer, not great in my opinion. A bit too watery for my taste.

3.42/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From Warner's. BB 21/10/13.

Briefly, good dark amber colour, truly off-white head though, with unappealing large bubbles and scummy lace. Little on nose, and taste is apricots, grapefruits, somewhat stale, doughy malts, but still hoppy. Not a zesty Pale Ale.

Not maybe the best purchase, now I have seen the date, and has not kept as well as it's higher ABV brothers I have tried. Solid.

3.41/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a pretty translucent mahogany with a fluffy head that quickly dissipates. Good carbonation. Smells pretty light, some floral hops and a hint of wheats. Taste is also a bit light, very slight nuttiness almost with a gradually prominent floral hoppiness. Good drinker, i'd have it again, rather punchy for a pale ale.

3.41/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Was a deep copper color with a thick white head, which dissipated pretty quickly leaving just enough foam for some nice lacing to coat the glass. Overall look is great. Aroma is somewhat restrained, a slight touch of hops but mostly the malt coming through here, a little caramel or maybe toffee. Taste starts just a tad sweet but quickly taken over by the bitterness of the hops. A bit too much for my taste as I don't even get a lot of flavor from the hops here, just the bitterness. Finishes very dry with lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel is fairly light bodied with somewhat heavy carbonation. Drinkability takes a hit for me as even the lingering bitterness is enough to make it a little rough.

3.41/5  rDev -11.4%

Looks: super cloudy amber-yellow with a sticky, dense head about two fingers tall and shock-white that grips the walls in soapy spatters.

Smells: bright, but a little muted. Leans heavily toward the west coast hops, with lots of citrusy grapefruits and oranges. Malt is only present in the faint background scent of saltine crackers.

Tastes: unexpected. It opens with a very light earthy hoppiness, soil-like, with a subtle bitterness and none of the hop bite I'd expect. Flavors of bubblegum and saltines emerge mid-palate, while a light honey sweetness rounds out the finish.

Feels: nice and smooth. The body's just a shade under medium and lightly carbonated.

Drinks: not how I expected. A good alternative when all other choices are BMC, but I need mo' bitter!

3.41/5  rDev -11.4%

A- Inch-tall light tan head atop a light ruby pale ale. Good head retention and some lacing.

S- Smells bready, light lemon zest.

T- Faint citrus notes. Nice bittering hops. Well balanced.

M- On the lighter side, kind of watery. Carbonation is okay.

D/O- Besides the look, I found it mostly dull and uninteresting as a whole. Easy drinking though? Yes. Made me burp a lot and I like that.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle I picked up in Michigan last time I was up there, brewed at the new brewery. Pours into my glass a deep reddish orange hue with an inch of white head atop the brew. Aromas of biscuit laced caramel malts intertwine with piney, herbal hops. Earthy in a way as well. Slightly resinous.

First sip brings a caramel, biscuit malt upfront that is met by herbal, earthy, somewhat piney hops midway through. Flows down with a mild bitterness that balances nicely with the malt sweetness. The pale ale finishes clean with a light lingering caramel covered hop.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice creamy smoothness. Good steady carbonation. Great mouthfeel all around for a pale ale. This is an easy drinking pale ale but I prefer a brighter hop character and this one seems a bit too earthy for me. Not a brew I'd turn to myself, I think I'll stick to my other Stone faves from now on.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a warm light copper clear body with a thick creamy head that last and last. There is a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles.

S- This beer has a light dry toasted malt note with a finish of pine hops. The hops are soft and balance the malt. This is very atypical for stone.

T- The soft flavor of marshmallows and pale malt has a light tartness to the hops that develop into a pungent bitterness at the finish. The hops have a light pine note when it warms a bit.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a creamy texture that last as long as the head does.

D- This beer has a pretty light flavor with a soft hops flavor. There isn’t much depth to the hops and the malt is pretty light aswell.

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a clear, slightly reddish amber with a less than finger width head, average retention, and a lace that's sparse though somewhat sticky.

Smell - Smell is a touch soapy, with mild hints of citrus and floral hops and the faintest of bread or caramel malt character.

Taste - Follows the nose to some extent, though the flavors are bolder than the smell would have one believe... for better or worse. Starts mild, with a bit of bready malt, followed quickly by a twang of citrus bitterness, but somewhere after, the soapy character kicks in. It's not entirely unpleasant, but it's not a quality I find wanting in a beer. Beer finishes with lingering soapiness and fading citrus hop bitters.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body with a nice, crisp, biting carbonation. Goes down fairly smooth.

Overall - I wanna like this beer... but I can't. The soapy character present is just too much to overlook. Outside the soapiness there are real positive qualities, but not enough to save it from mediocrity. It's drinkable, but not something I'd prefer to drink.... candidate for a re-review. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Stone Pale Ale from Stone Brewing Co.