Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Stone Pale Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Pale AleStone Pale Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-23-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 979 | Hads: 2,680
1.3/5  rDev -66.6%

Most expensive pale ale ever. Hazy tarnished amber with a big sticky off white head. Herbal hop nose along with soap and wood. Touches of anisette or licorice somewhere beneath.

Taste is a lot of bubblegum for some reason. Initial citric sweetness, dry herbal hoppiness and coarse dry mouthfeel. Soapy and bubblegum flavors linger. Not digging this one bit. Off-flavors seem to settle out with a couple more sips, but the flavors dont meld together any better. Whats up with this one? tough to finish.

1.42/5  rDev -63.5%

I'm no English major, but to enunciate just how this beer affected my life in a positive light would be a dissatisfaction to the community at large. This Pale sucked. No need to banter.
It tasted like licorice that was kept in a car, during the Summer, while the sun watched Oprah.
It tasted thick, too sweet, and had no bite.
Stone blesses their own name vowing that there are no foreign adulterants within the liquid drink; If you ask me, I'd rather drink water.

1.92/5  rDev -50.6%

This was my first Stone beer and I really wanted to like it but I didn't care for this beer at all.

The foamy head was rocky, showing a good fermentation. The color is good...dark amber to brown...but it was very cloudy and loaded with oversized floating particles.

It tasted as if all the body and residual sweetness had been fermented out of the beer so I didn't get much of a malty flavor.

There wasn't much, if any, hop flavor either. But there was an excessive amount of overly bitter what seemed to be hop 'punishment' in the beer.

I went ahead and drank the entire bottle and started in on a 2nd one to see if I could change my opinion. I got about 2 swallows into it and ended up dumping it.

It was a $10 6-pack and as I was pouring that 2nd bottle down the drain it felt as if the mostly naked Hellboy-type character silkscreened onto the bottle was staring at me and saying "sucker".

2.11/5  rDev -45.8%

This PALE ale is overhopped and overhyped. Even for a seasoned hophead, and considering that Stone helped define the West Coast style, this beer misses it's mark by miles. This is more of a brown ale than a pale ale.

This beer is unbalanced, and I would not drink it unless it was the last beer in the planet.

2.32/5  rDev -40.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a shaker pint glass.

APPEARANCE: dark amber color with very thin head which dissipated quickly, almost no lacing, light carbonation.

SMELL: metallic and caramel.

TASTE: caramel and malty with a metallic hop profile.

PALATE: light carbonation medium body.

OVERALL: this is not a beer I would buy again. For a pale ale it was far too malty and the hops were metallic tasting, in an unpleasant way.

2.47/5  rDev -36.5%

A: Pours a reddish copper with a frothy head. Light lacing.

S: Great aroma of floral hops and citrus

T: Mellow hops taste with a malty flavor that tastes like stale, soggy Cherrios. This just tastes off.

M: Fairly light in body with moderate carbonation.

D: This has some potential, but the flavor is just plain bad. This barely passes as drinkable.

2.47/5  rDev -36.5%

We conducted a blind taste test between this beer and 4 other popular American Pale Ales: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Deschutes Mirror Pond Ale, Stone Pale Ale, Firestone Double Barrel Ale, and Boulder Hazed & Infused.

Check it out: http://youtu.be/DHis2L_OBdg

2.5/5  rDev -35.7%

An odd beer for Stone. You think they'd want to make the hoppiest pale ale of all time, but instead they made what might be the maltiest. Those tricksters.

2.59/5  rDev -33.4%

Pours out a hazy copper amber with a thin head and minimal lacing. Head lasts hardly a minute. Over-browned toast is all I could pick up for my first few sniffs of this beer, but then I was able to make out a weak hop presence. Flavor starts off with a lot of bready toastiness (natch), with light citrus, and a solid finishing bitter. Decent enough, but an odd, almost "homebrew-like" yeastiness prevails in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is definitely the strong point of this beer. Very smooth with a moderate body. Hardly any stickiness left on the palate. Really disappointed in this pale ale.

2.6/5  rDev -33.2%

Had at jungle jims tasting with 1arrogantbastard

A-orangish in color with white head.
S-slight hops and malt. Not really much else there.
T-stone does a lot of great things, but pale ales are not one of them. Very faint hops taste. Balanced and ends hoppy
M-light and crisp
D-drinkable, if I would want to drink it...

2.64/5  rDev -32.1%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy orange yellow from the yeast that actually went into the pour, as there's still a bit on the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Mild hop aromas without much malt at all. And some alcohol. What's going on here?

Taste: All bitterness without much balance. Mild malt flavors come in with the finish.

Mouthfeel: Watery and slick with throughout with a weird sudden burst of carbonation at the end. Weird.

Drinkability: I'm not sure if I got an old bottle or what (because it was a single bottle purchase in a mixed 6-pack in a store), but this just isn't good. It doesn't taste bad necessarily, but just very bland, boring, and oddly balanced. I won't be trying this again unless someone else buys it, because I don't want to make the same mistake twice if it's not just the bottle. A disappointment from Stone overall.

2.69/5  rDev -30.8%

Pours a darker reddish orange than expected, with translucent innards and a thick foamy white head that laces well and dissipates fairly quickly. Leaves behind a collar of white that remains throughout the drink.

Smells of grapefruit, rind and all, and has a very bitter spin on the citrus. Isn't particularly pungent though - this is a confused smell to be sure. You don't get much malt or alcohol sweetness out of this on the nose. Hops are leafy aside from the grapefruit barrage.

Taste follows, with some grapefruit that doesn't really assert itself to go with grainy, uncooked malt. This one tastes a bit more like an English Bitter than a traditional pale ale. Citrus fades away the further into the glass you get, but the malt profile doesn't come in to save the day either. Sort of hurts the drinkability.

Mouthfeel is light, while being lively thanks to the strong carbonation. May be a bit too light at times though, and could have benefited from an increased body, as this is more and more like an English Bitter the more I drink it. Unfortunately, rating to the style, this falls short a bit, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have this again.

2.73/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic glass.

Dark amber in color, very little head or lacing.

I found the aromas somewhat off-putting. Burnt wood and caramel notes with only faint hoppy aromas.

Taste was rather bland with some caramel and woody notes. Below average.

Maybe I just wasn't expecting these flavors in a pale ale but I did not enjoy this beer. It is the first I have had in a while that I know I won't buy again. I might try the "2.0" version when it comes out to see how stone changes this brew.

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

04/05/13 On tap. Once again something tagged a "pale ale" hits my taste buds with a solid shot of hoppiness. This time I'm disinclined to forgive. Why is this not an IPA? The IBU is in the 25-50 range (if you believe in such things) but my tongue says "Bull-Donkey". Something's gotta give. So glad to have notes at BA so I don't make this mistake again.

Mind you, I'm just not that fond of hops so this may appeal to those that are. Go figure!

2.76/5  rDev -29%

Stone does not have a bad beer in their line up. Outside of the 07 vertical epic (which isn't ready to be fully judged) I can't remember one that wasn't at the very least interesting. That said this is far from a great pale ale.

Reddish amber in color with a HUGE fluffy head, lacing everywhere...you really can't look much better than this. Maybe a bit more carbonation but exceptional is an understatement.

The nose is soft sweet amber malt.

The flavor is a mix of citrus and bread. Soft pale. The hops and malt are balanced to a fault. Look stone, you make amazing hoppy beers. You're amber is a dry hopped under 5% alcohol masterpiece. This beer desperately needs something else to make it work. I am a huge fan of APA's....really it is second to IPA in my book and it's close. There are some amazing APA's. This isn't one of them.

This is a drinkable beer. It's a touch thick for drinking a bunch of.

The mouth is rather nice. So much carbonation, silky but thin enough to drink a few.

I'm bias for stone beers. LOVE them. I'm bias for hops, and this doesn't do it. Sorry stone, you missed on this beer. It's a darn good beer, but for an APA and for Stone...this is unacceptable!

2.78/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is cloudy dark amber with a finger or two of foamy white head that leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

The smell is pretty muted with some slight butterscotch flavor for just a moment.

The taste is creamy with some caramel flavor that stays for a while. This may be a bit old since I am getting no hop flavor that I can detect but just malts leading the way.

The feel of this beer is pretty light and goes down well. This was not the best Stone beer I have ever had by any means and it may be one of the lesser beers that Stone makes but overall not bad.

2.81/5  rDev -27.8%

Pours an off-red color and almost smells like an Oktoberfest brew. Decent pillowy head and nice lacing down the glass, an excellent session beer. Some hops and what appears to smell like caramel and some type of apple-cherry type fruit. Not Stone's best overall beer but a sure nice one.

2.83/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A. A dark amber/light copper color with 2 finger sof off white head. Medium lacing down the glass.

S. PIcking up some sweet malt and a good amount of dark fruits: Dates, raisins. Not much hop essence coming through.

T. I am wondering how old the 6-pack is. Not getting any real hop flavor at all, mostly sweet maltiness like toffee and ripe dark fruits. Not bad, not that good. Overall not what I was expecting from a pale ale, nor what I prefer. I think the bottles may be really old.

M. Medium bodied, moderate carbination

D. Overall not my cup of tea, or ale in this case. Not really bad, but was expecting a lot more from this beer. May buy one more down the road to see if this was a old batch, but would much rather have a Dales Pale, SNPA or many other PA's before this one.

2.83/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As you can see from my ratings this is a pretty average brew. Doesn't make you want run for cover but does not wow ya either. One of my least favorite from Stone by far. Anyway here goes.

A - Pours a reddish copper with a fizzy type head that disappears real quick.

S - Catty kind of grassy hop aroma, very slight malt aroma.

T - Nothing really dominates the flavor at all. I guess you could say its balanced in a way, but to me its dull. A small trace of the catty hops, a very small trace of malt. Some apple kind of aftertaste also.

M - The mouthfeel is medium, not watery not heavy. Carbonation is lively just a tad on the fizzy side.

D - Due to above factors I could imagine downing the sixer in a sitting. But after 1 or 2 I myself would go after something more interesting.

Other APAs I have drunk had a more defining hop character. This one does not. Its kind of weird for a company that just packs the hops in a lot of thier beers their APA is kind of a dull affair. If you want something really unoffensive this might fit the bill. Otherwise if you like a hoppy american APA with some character look somewhere else I would say.

2.88/5  rDev -26%

Straightforward copper color with a white head. Nice lace on the glass. Smelled malty and slightly fruity, but not much hop aroma at all. Tasted somewhat bland - a bland, non-variety specific sort of bitterness, no perceived caramel background or malt nuttiness. Finished dry and felt medium-bodied. Drinkability was just sort of average. Not a bad beer, but nothing to write home about either.

2.88/5  rDev -26%

Pretty nice color...amber and golden brown. nice head, even from a bottle. The taste was "yeasty" however. Maybe it was the bottle I had...but based on other reviews I think this beer has some more potential. I would like to try it again...

2.88/5  rDev -26%

12oz bottle. Decided to pick this one up instead of trying the Stone IPA since I needed to have some "calmer" beers for visitors. Pours a clear copper with medium head and carbonation. Aroma is a bit light and indistinct. And I have to say that the taste is also indistinct. It's difficult to put in words, since there's nothing that particularly stands out with this one. I'm a bit surprised at its relatively high ratings... (well, high overall, but a bit low for Stone.) Perhaps Stone's reputation is responsible for this? I have to say I'm disappointed with this one - and that's the first time I've ever had to say that about a Stone product. I wasn't expecting anything over the top from their APA, but was hoping for more than this.

2.91/5  rDev -25.2%

Usually it is Stone's job to kick your butt and make you wonder why you came to drink it, then realize that's exactly why you're drinking it, man up and emerge triumphant.

With this one, the ale does not nearly accomplish this.

Yes it's a Pale Ale, but a bit of reddishness gives it a good look (that matches the bottle, nice!). Smelling the hops and barley, you drink down a regular and not even offensive hoppy taste. Why? Stone, I want you to crush me!

Sure you could drink 'em often, but the taste is a bit too bland to make each sip desirable, and at 5.4 abv there's no reason to stay with this one.

2.96/5  rDev -23.9%

5.40% ABV confirmed. Bottle acquired at Trader Joe's. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are above average; I figure a brewery with as much funding and manpower as Stone wouldn't screw up a pale ale.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger beige-khaki colour head of fair cream, decent thickness, and pretty good (~4 minute) retention. Body colour is a clear textbook copper. Translucent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Predictable for the style; this is what one thinks of when one thinks of a pale ale. Nothing unique or special here, but there are no overt flaws.

Sm: I like the refined caramel malt backbone; it's more evocative than in most pale ales. Light generic floral hops. No yeast or alcohol is detectable. Not a lot going on here; I hope there's more to the flavour. An average strength aroma.

T: Okay. Caramel malt and floral hops. There's a subtlety to the execution. (Stone, subtlety - what?). It's a simple beer but it's well put together. I wouldn't go so far as to call it balanced - after all this is Stone - but it's not bad. Built decently. I expected severe over-hopping in classic Stone fashion, but this is surprisingly underhopped for the style. It's kind of a malt-focused beer, actually. Still, its simplicity holds it back. Not quite refreshing. No alcohol or yeast comes through. A bit too bitter on the finish.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Too dry on the finish, killing the refreshing feel. Decent thickness. Okay presence on the palate. Overcarbonated. Suits the flavours generally at best.

Dr: Drinkable but forgettable. Rather pedestrian. Hides its ABV well. I doubt I'd get it again unless the only other offerings were macro-shite. It's by no means a bad beer; it's just mundane.

High C

Dark amber, tan head. Not a fan of the mild body mixed with cough syrup taste. Not the worst beer I've ever had, it's a stone... But wouldn't order it again

Stone Pale Ale from Stone Brewing Co.