Stone Pale Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Pale AleStone Pale Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

My favorite APA, my standby fall back Ale. Great balanced copper colored Pale Ale. This brew pours great with good head retention very drinkable with sweet caramel malts, followed up with a healthy dose of hops and a semi-dry clean finish. Just a great Standard that I use to measure other APA's and always seem to grab for a Stone Pale Ale over most of the other (some times bigger & more flavorful) beers in the fridge.

InandOutBeerGuys, Mar 18, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

poured from bottle into a DT goblet:

appearance: rich copper color with thick creamy head.

smell: a nice blend of hops an malts goin on here, little bit woody

taste: very balanced pale ale with a great rich taste. very full malt flavor up front with a nice hopped finish. very fresh

mouthfeel: what it should be not too heavy not to light. just right for a pale ale

drinkabilty: at 5.4% alc this brew is easily sessionable. would go great with a burger. another great brew from stone that i feel is greatly overlooked.

kush6875, Apr 17, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +25.1%

I picked up a bottle of this beer in a build your own six pack set up a few weeks ago. My father had always told me Stone made some of the best beers he had ever tasted so I decided to take his advice and try Stone Pale Ale.

It was a very rich and rewarding beer to drink so a couple nights ago I picked up a six pack of Stone Pale Ale. If you haven't had this beer before. Try it. You won't regret it.

The look of the beer is similar to many pale ales although it is a bit darker than what most people would consider a "pale ale." This is probably because of the complexity of the hops in the beer. This complexity pays heavy dividends for the ale. The taste was complex, yet not too complex, and the mouthfeel was also satisfying in a slightly refreshing but also slightly spicy way.

The best part of this beer, in my opinion, was the smell. The hard work that the people at Stone brewing company put into this beer's creation is most evident in the complexity of the smell of this ale from when it is freshly poured till the final sip.

nolanstout, Feb 02, 2012

s_squared4, Jul 04, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

beerbarron18, Oct 10, 2012
4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

A- It's a somewhat hazy amber color. The head was off white and about one finger before dissipating. There wasn't much lacing.

S- When I first opened the bottle I noticed mostly hops, but when I smelled it a second time I picked up a stronger malt balance than expected. The hops are still there but it's fairly balanced.

T- The malts are sweet and present from the beginning, more so than from my past experiences with Stone. The hops provide mostly bitterness and are a bit piny. I didn't pick up any citrus, which I normally associate with pale ales from the West Coast.

M- Somewhat oily and smooth.

D- This is a well balanced brew. Stone has a reputation for massively hopping their beers but this was less hoppy than expected. The sweet malts provided a strong base and the hops were pleasantly bitter. I would have liked a little more hoppiness, but this is an extremely drinkable beer, one that I would gladly session.

mizzourah, Jul 19, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -12.4%

I just joined BA and this is my first review so if you have any hints on how to express myself better please let me know.

The beer pours out nicely with a two finger head. It has an orangey/red tint to it that I find very appealing in a good pale ale. The smells are great, but the taste I find to be a little normal. I am by no means a hop-head, but I defiantly expected and wanted a hopper taste to it.
It has a very easy drinkability to it but I have to say that when I am looking for another Pale Ale I will probably skip this one and go for something with a little more flavor to it.

EricHeff, Sep 07, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +21.2%

a- really dark amber orange, golden in the reflection. long lasting slighty off white head that last through out the drink. gets kinda small at the end but that doesn't really matter.

s-sweet butter with citrus. really nice. maybe a very very light brown sugar smell.

t-mmmm good. probably my 2nd fav. pale ale. goes down very good nice hop bitterness to top off the peak of the malt sweetness which is fantastic. some what bready but this beer is really really balanced, most balanced pale ale around.

m-slight cream very hearty yet goes done really smooth.

buck1futter, Sep 30, 2011

drno904, Nov 18, 2011

MEOGDEN, Jan 06, 2012
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours an dark orange color with a medium sized white head and above avearge lacing. Smell is heavy grapefruit citrus and biscuit. Taste is not very complex but pleasent with malt sweetness and fruitiness, backed by a grapefruit bitternss. Mouthfeel is medium with good drinkability.

calicaliente, Apr 10, 2012

Mvacco, May 06, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

JayDiddy, Sep 15, 2012

D-town_brews420, Jul 28, 2014

iwhoopedbatman, Aug 11, 2014
Stone Pale Ale from Stone Brewing Co.