Stone Pale Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Pale AleStone Pale Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Pale Ale Alström Bros
abcsofbeer

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a signature 12 oz painted label bottle. The color of this pale ale is a cloudy deep orange and it is topped off by a thin white head. The head falls to a crown on top and leave very little lacing.

The aroma is at first hard to pinpoint but has hints of citrus and hop oils. Towards the bottom of the glass, I detected some sweet honey in the aroma. The taste is dry and fairly hoppy and has a sharp bitter aftertaste. The flavor is also slightly fruity followed by a mild peppery tanginess.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied and very dry with a fair amount of carbonation. I call this one a good pale ale and I, one that I enjoyed very much.

08-17-2007 01:01:25 | More by abcsofbeer
mmmbeer

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

12 oz. bottle with no freshness date. The beer is medium copper in color, with a mild haze, and two fingers of off-white head that leaves nice lacing. Citrus, green hops, and pine in the aroma, all of which become more pungent as I drink. On the palate, it's predominantly citric/piney, and leafy green hops that impart a medium bitterness, but there are also hints of toasted malts and what tastes like noble hops - very tasty. Medium body and carbonation, with a dry, medium to long finish. Overall a nice and bitter, easy to drink pale ale.

08-13-2007 00:09:49 | More by mmmbeer
OWSLEY069

3.35/5  rDev -13.2%

Pours a clean deep copper, with a tan head. Aromas that are sweet and a small amount of grapefruity hops. Smooth, small hop presenceand a dry end. It does have a small dry aftertaste. I enjoy the fact that it is not over the top, yet has a hop presence. A very nice pale.

08-12-2007 16:50:37 | More by OWSLEY069
Atlas1

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

A late night review from the Stone brewery. A welcome nightcap indeed.

Pours a deep, dark copper/amber color with a one-finger off-white head that leaves behind some trace elements of the lacy stuff. Lots of bubbles here, keeping the head alive; good to see. The nose is light and fruity with an abundance of what I perceive as strawberries. Malted strawberries, that is. Some candied sugar and some faint caramel in the nose as well. A very distant orange scent. The taste pretty much follows suit, but contains more of a hop presence than the smell. Fruity up front, with some mellow sweetness, but the hops kick in soon after and provide much of the middle and end to this tasty treat. Mouthfeel is solid, but nothing special, with a dry finish.

Another good beer from the folks at Stone, although I wouldn't call this one great. I like this, and will gladly drink it again in the future, but I wouldn't necessarily say it's the best pale ale I've ever had. Nothing about it really stands out and cries for attention. Still, it's a nice beer. Try it if you haven't yet.

08-10-2007 03:13:28 | More by Atlas1
Monkeyknife

Missouri

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured from the bottle a deep red amber with a frothy white head and plenty of lacing.

The best way I can describe the aroma is it has real earthy malt notes with a touch of apple.

The taste is lighter than expected and more malty than hoppy with an earthiness to it. I also sense a slightly bitter aftertaste.

Light mouthfeel with light carbonation.

A very drinkable beer and a nice pale ale, Still, I expected even more knowing it comes from Stone.

08-05-2007 03:27:38 | More by Monkeyknife
jmalex

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

Everywhere I go, I always see Stone IPA, Ruination, Arrogant Bastard, and Smoked Porter, and every once in awhile I come across an Old Guardian or a Double Bastard. So imagine my surprise when I saw this modest, unassuming bottle of Stone Pale Ale. I didn't even know this beer existed!

APPEARANCE: Pours into my Stone shaker a barely hazy amber with some olivey-yellow highlights. The head starts at one finger high and drops to a thin but full coverage of bubbles across the surface.

SMELL: The aroma is pretty heavy on the malty side. The smells of pale and lightly caramelized malts comes through loudly. Not to be outdone though, citrusy and piny hops hold their own through the aroma. Smells like mini Arrogant Bastard.

TASTE: The initial taste is a very balanced pale ale with a fantastic pale malt flavor. The hops come on in mid-taste and begin to overpower with resinous piny flavors. The finish is smooth and clean with just a few remnants of citrus hop flavor.

MOUTHFEEL: The body is fairy light except for a slight syrupy quality. Carbonation level is perfect at a slightly higher than normal level.

DRINKABILITY: This is a nice easy-drinking beer that suffers a bit from lack of balance. Like so many west coast beers, the hops are pushed a bit more than usual. Otherwise, it's great and very sessionable.

Stone makes some really nice beers, including this one. If I'm in the mood for an easy drinking hoppy beer though, I'd turn to Stone IPA before this one. And if I'm in the mood for a balanced pale ale, I'm turning elsewhere as well.

08-01-2007 20:58:00 | More by jmalex
scruffwhor

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a sparse head with little retention. The color is a deep and spicey mahagony and amber, with little bubbling. The aroma is a spicey bread malt with a pronounced hop aroma. The taste has a good mixing of malt and hops. Dry mlats mixing well with flowery and citrusy hops. Easy to drink before, during, or after a meal. To bad we can't get this stuff in IL.

08-01-2007 20:02:00 | More by scruffwhor
quikfish13

4.13/5  rDev +7%

A: Clear amber with a very frothy off white head. Very decent amount of carbonation.

S: Very nice fruity scents. With apple seeming to be the most dominant of the hoppy aromas. Some earthy and floral notes as well.

T: Not as overloaded with hops as other pale ales (Great Lakes Burning river comes to mind) but a nice citrus taste none the less. A very nice earthy malt taste comes in the middle and leaves a nice aftertaste.

M: Not overpowering and enough to let you know your drinking beer. Leaves a clean finish.

D: Excellent beer and one I would recommend if your trying to get a buddy into craft brews.

08-01-2007 08:45:56 | More by quikfish13
Gatch

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

I had this on tap at the Beer Garden in May and it was phenomenal. But from the bottle, it might be a different story.

A medium burnt red w/ a thick head.

Fruity malts w/ a hint of olives, which was strange.

Very familiar Stone taste. Something about their brews are different and unique. Definitely not as hoppy as some Pale Ale's can get but it's really balanced. The hops are present at first and then it fades into a sugary malt.

The mouthfeel is consistent and smooth and the drinkability is fantastic. The carbonation isn't very strong and the flavors linger just enough to leave you wanting another sip. For people who enjoy the big beers from Stone, this is a great beer to relax with and give your taste buds a break. Stone is such a consistent brewer and now that I've tried their Pale Ale, I've realized they can produce on any level of the brewing spectrum.

08-01-2007 03:49:56 | More by Gatch
Risser09

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a wine glass - Bottled in 2007

Appearance: Very deep red color with brown tones and a slight orange hue. nice 2" white head with plenty of craters and various bubble sizes.

Smell: The malt aroma is strong but there is also strawberry, plum and caramel.

Taste: Cherry flavor with lots of malt in there too. Where are all the hops? Doesn't seem at all like an APA. Anyway, toffee, caramel, nuts and black tea. The right amount of sweetness is there.

Mouthfeel: Smoothe smoothe smoothe. Gentle carbonation and slick in the mouth. Creamy finish is pleasant.

Drinkability: Great. I thought stone was the meter stick for style categorizations but maybe I was wrong. I don't see this brew as an APA. Great flavors, ample complexity, and smoothe drinkability make this one a winner.

07-24-2007 23:32:34 | More by Risser09
ClassicBrad

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

I am a very big Stone fan and this is new to me. I realize its somewhat of their flagship but I just never saw it around until I was a part of a case split and I saw it for sale by the case.

The appearance is a dark but clear brown with a light tan head that leaves a thin but reliable lace.

Smell is predominantly a sweet nutty malt note with a backnose of subtle hops.

The initial flavor of this beer is a malty nut taste. The hops (for once in a Stone brew) are actually there for balance and not shock.

The mouthfeel is unique in its separation of tastes and regions in my mouth. The sweet malts go straight down my tongue and the hop characters go around the sides and down to the back of my mouth.

Drinkability is probably the best for this brewery. I can drink a good six-pack of these guys.

07-23-2007 22:11:53 | More by ClassicBrad
BMoney575

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Sampled on 7-18-07

Pours a cool and clear amber with just a hint of head that lingers on the top.

Smell is surprisingly malty, with a good kick of piney hops.

Taste is slightly sweet at first, and then slightly bitter and hoppy later. Extremely balanced and quite light on the palate. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is good, a good spiciness to go with the hops.

Drinkability is also good, nice bitterness keeps the sweetness in check.

Overall, a very well balanced beer, and a perfect pale ale. Not as bitter or hoppy as an IPA, but still very flavorful. Recommended.

07-19-2007 00:43:11 | More by BMoney575
jackorain

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

A-Clear amber color with a 2 inch head good stay and stick

S-Biscuit malt and green hops dominate the nose

T-Suprising malty brew, biscuity and carmel, alittle bready malts come through as well. The middle is seeded with a mild green and citrus hop bitterness. The finish brings tha malt back but does push away the hops completely. Well balanced

M-light-to-medium body nice even creamy carboantion

D-pretty darn drinkable

07-14-2007 21:05:30 | More by jackorain
MrMcGibblets

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

overall, this is a nice beer, nothing spectacular, but enough going on to be likeable. poured from the uber-cool stone painted bottle, this was a deep hazy copper with a light tan head and lacing. caramel malts dominate the nose along with some subtle floral and fruity aromas. lightly sweet malts in the taste cleaned up by a moderate resiny hop bitterness. somewhat light mouthfeel and body. finishes clean and crisp. a sessionable offering from stone.

07-12-2007 02:55:20 | More by MrMcGibblets
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

Purchased as part of a mixed 6pack from Wilbur's Liquors in Ft Collins.

This pours from 12oz bottle a hazy orange amber with a medium sized head of foam that dissipated quickly leaving a few islands and it has some nice lacing.

The smell is on the sweet side. I get caramel malt with just a touch of hops and some fruit.

The taste on first sip has some good malty sweetness up front with a solid backbone of hop bitterness that comes in about midway through and dominates the finish but it's not overly aggressive and I'm liking it. A few more sips in and I'm beginning to realize that this APA is all about balance and I start to notice a fruitiness in the flavour that I mentioned in the nose. Maybe cherry? Dang, this is certainly a drinkable example of the style and now I wish I had bought at least a 6pack. Oh well, I can cure that on my next trip to the Fort. ;^)

Bottom line: This a great APA that I can highly recommend. See some grab some.

07-09-2007 23:06:05 | More by Bitterbill
Halcyondays

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

22 oz. bomber

A: Pours almost a blood-red with a thick creamy head, looks almost like a nitro-tap from the bottle, very appealing.

S: Faint hints of malt, with some robust hops, citrus.

T: Malt dominates at first but is balanced with typical West coast hop character, pine and citrus.

M: Creamy, medium-bodied, well balanced.

D: Very good, it is one of Stone's smaller beers, I was expecting a bit more hop character, but overall, it was a very good session brew.

07-09-2007 05:05:19 | More by Halcyondays
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

On tap at Coles in Buffalo.

Pours a clear copper, small white head forms, lace spots, decent retention, looks pretty standard. Smell is real nice, fresh, very malty, citrus/floral hops, very flowery, top notch pale ale. Taste is nice as well, sweet caramel malts, citrus/floral, sweet grapefruit, bit of grain, perfect balance. Mouthfeel is light bodied with low carbonation, very refreshing, great pale ale.

07-09-2007 00:39:20 | More by Viggo
Onceeven

3.38/5  rDev -12.4%

New find at the beer store. Remarkably bright copper body under a dense off-white head. Not a lot of carbonation. The smell is subdued but resinous. Mouthfeel is light and creamy with a bright bitterness that dances acrros the tongue. The taste is prickly with a piney/citrus first note. There is a hint of orange rind, a baked maltiness follows and is well balanced. There is a lingering mineral flavor reminiscent of some British Ales.

Good but not Great

07-02-2007 22:56:13 | More by Onceeven
iconoklaztor

Indiana

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

I'm going to review the Stone Pale Ale 2006 Commerative Edition. This is to celebrate Stones move to the city of Escondidio, CA.

The appearance is whats most noteable to me about this beer. Its a beautiful beer. It has a color of a Kilians but the taste of a Alpha King. The smell is a little weak. Simply not much to it. Its has the faint smell of a Pale Ale. The taste sits on the tounge for a decent amount of time but feels a little thin. Its certainly drinkable but I wish I had kept it a little colder. (good thing I have another).
Overall its certainly not the best Stone but its still a good beer.

06-28-2007 23:21:07 | More by iconoklaztor
Lothore

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

This brew pours a dark brown with a reddish hue. Big head which dissaptes into a decent amount of lacing. Smells of hops, hints of sweet flowers, slight bread smell and I could swear I smell a slight bit of banana. The taste seems very balanced. It ends with a small amount of bitterness. The mouthfeel is fairly thick for an APA with ample carbonation. This brew is highly drinkable, definitely my favorite APA.

06-28-2007 06:41:03 | More by Lothore
orbitalr0x

3.4/5  rDev -11.9%

12oz bottle I picked up in Michigan last time I was up there, brewed at the new brewery. Pours into my glass a deep reddish orange hue with an inch of white head atop the brew. Aromas of biscuit laced caramel malts intertwine with piney, herbal hops. Earthy in a way as well. Slightly resinous.

First sip brings a caramel, biscuit malt upfront that is met by herbal, earthy, somewhat piney hops midway through. Flows down with a mild bitterness that balances nicely with the malt sweetness. The pale ale finishes clean with a light lingering caramel covered hop.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a nice creamy smoothness. Good steady carbonation. Great mouthfeel all around for a pale ale. This is an easy drinking pale ale but I prefer a brighter hop character and this one seems a bit too earthy for me. Not a brew I'd turn to myself, I think I'll stick to my other Stone faves from now on.

06-28-2007 01:34:11 | More by orbitalr0x
Frozensoul327

3.08/5  rDev -20.2%

A: Attractive coppery orange color with a dense head of foam. Medium levels of carbonation, and mild lacing in the glass.

S: Light citrus notes and hops. A touch of buttery malt and toasted grain. Overall, rather lean on the aroma side, but still appropriate; this isn't an over-the-top IPA.

T: A sweet biscuit maltiness blends with smooth, buttery husk and grain, with a lightly sweet hoppy note. Finishes rather bitter, with a slightly dry-hop aftertaste. Not bad.

M: Goes down easy, light on the palate, medium carbonation. All right on for the style.

D: Average. A solid APA, but nothing out of the ordinary here; I've come to expect a bit more from Stone Brewing. Kind of lacks balance, in my mind. Could be a sessioner for diehard fans of the APA style. Worth a try.

06-24-2007 01:16:35 | More by Frozensoul327
sstackho

Ontario (Canada)

2.9/5  rDev -24.9%

12oz bottle. Decided to pick this one up instead of trying the Stone IPA since I needed to have some "calmer" beers for visitors. Pours a clear copper with medium head and carbonation. Aroma is a bit light and indistinct. And I have to say that the taste is also indistinct. It's difficult to put in words, since there's nothing that particularly stands out with this one. I'm a bit surprised at its relatively high ratings... (well, high overall, but a bit low for Stone.) Perhaps Stone's reputation is responsible for this? I have to say I'm disappointed with this one - and that's the first time I've ever had to say that about a Stone product. I wasn't expecting anything over the top from their APA, but was hoping for more than this.

06-10-2007 01:54:50 | More by sstackho
oelergud

Semitransparent copper ruby body. Tan creamy head with low retention and lace.
Wheat, grass, butter, pepper and a touch of honey.
Butter, wheat, pine and mild caramel taste. Good aftertaste of resin like hops especially after the beer warms abit.
Medium to full body, decent coating and slick.
Good and pleasant brew. Would make a good session beer.

-Oelergud

06-09-2007 21:29:35 | More by oelergud
malcontent

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Amber body with shallow head. Lacing is more or less nonexistent.

Faint citrus blends with brewed teas. Slightly damp scent.

Seems more typical of an English pale than an American; Malt character shines through with caramel notes on top of mild grapefruit. Refreshing bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is near perfect with moderate carbonation, mouth-filling thickness and a good mouth-puckering finish.

Good PA, I still maintain this is more of an EPA and not an APA but in either event this is a quality brew.

06-09-2007 15:21:06 | More by malcontent
Stone Pale Ale from Stone Brewing Co.