Stone Pale Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Pale AleStone Pale Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-23-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Pale Ale Alström Bros

Unbelievable that Stone Pale Ale has been in my face for several years now and never once did I consider having one. WOW, and I considered myself a Stonehead. Poured an amber hue with a 2 inch slightly orange head that last the entire drink. The aroma was on point with what I was tasting. Initially, my experience began with a malty sweet caramel/ maple syrup and ended semi dry with a small hint of ruby red grapefruit and lively carbonated. Unlike most Pale Ales that I've had, Stones Pale Ale seems alot tamer than most with a sweet demeanor. This brew is much like at home and will be a regular at home. Enjoy.

GimpyCane, Dec 05, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Nice looking pale ale. A copper color with a glimmering shade of orange. An off white head hangs around for a few minutes and recedes into a thin lace.

Not what I was expecting at all from this Stone PA. Sweet malt forward aromas with the slightest hint of floral hop. Aroma is full and has a earhty edge to it.

This one really doesn't do alot for me. Very English in style. A malt forward beer but lacking the chewyness I enjoy from other malty brews. Flavors of toffee, and earthy trim, with very little hops which are floral in character.

Mouth is solid but again I prefer a beer of this style to be a bit chewier.

mcallister, Dec 01, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Picked up a single 12 ounce bottle of this from La Cav Du Vin. Poured into my pint glass. This beer pours a clear medium amber copper color with a nice foamy head about 2 fingers thick that settles to about a finger and then half a finger thick before settling further to a decent ring lining the inside of the glass. Has some nice lacing indeed. Aromas of hops and malt are present, not much else though. Some light hints of caramel, citrus, and spice are present as well. I expected the smell to be a bit stronger. Hops and sweet malt are the tastes upfront, followed by some bitterness, and some hints of spice and citrus. The malty sweetness and hoppy bitterness are very well balanced. Has a nice crisp, smooth, and full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink in a good way. As with all of Stone's beers, this one is certainly unique. It is also the most mellow, non ass kicking & non in your face type of beer that I have ever had from Stone. This is a good beer for a macro BMC drinker to try who has never had anything from Stone before. Overall I think this beer is a unique, if not good ,representation of the APA style of beer. I will drink this again. A mellow & subtle beer, especailly for Stone, but quite enjoyable as well.

Eric

neenerzig, Nov 27, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

An extremely under rated American Pale Ale that epidomizes what the balance means between bready and caramel malts with citrusy and resiny hops. Neitehr offend, but neither back down from the challenge of balance. Bold and synergistic throughout.

Redish copper colors carry a mild haze, but explode with mousse-like head character of ivory-white foam. Stubborn and persistent until the glass is dry, the blanketed retention and lacing are as formitable and sticky as can be expected for any style.

Very rich and characterful malts (light caramel and bread crust) and compimentary hopping (citrus, pine, and resin) all apease the nose and taste buds. A well balanced blend of these characteristics captivate the nose and carry a consistent demeanor throughout the taste. All the while, showing intermitten and varying degrees of flavors: citrus one minute, then bready-toast flavors the next, then over to malty sweetness a minute later, and then back to resiny bitterness to finish. A true exploration for the taste buds from sip until malty-dry finish

With all the swirling in the mouth, the body remains rich, full, and firm. Finishing with the same semi-dry, citrus crispness that profounds me in the nose.

The beer never deviates from the Pale Ale style in order to stand out or get above the competition. Instead, relying on a well formulated recipe and quality brewing techniqes. A delicately blended brew with power and variety. Oh, by the way, one of the best appearances found in any beer, not just pale ales.

BEERchitect, Nov 20, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -21%

Decided to edit the first review and give this one another go-right after doing a review on Anchor liberty. I find that I really have mixed feelings about this one.

This amber/copper pale ale pours with a nice creamy one finger head.
As the creamy slightly off white head begins to receed it leaves a wall of lacing along the edges of the glass. Head retention is alright, the head lasts but is losing mass all the while. Could be better.

The aroma of this beer suprises me. I expected hops in the foreground with some malt background influences. In this beer the nose is slightly caramel with some spicy hop character as well. Other than that this beer has a very clean, but faint aroma, that hints at a hop presence.In my opinion this beer's aroma would be imporved if it were hoppier, I feel that a hoppy aroma is a definitive factor among APAs. As this beer warms up diacetyl is becomes noticable.

This beer is again not what I expected from an American Pale Ale. The balance between malt and hops in this beer is quite nice. The hop flavor in this beer isn't what I expected from an APA, however it is still good. I would havet to say that the hop proflie is more floral and grassy as opposed to the citrus character. I don't know why but I am having a really tough time describing the flavor profile of this beer.

In the mouth this beer is medium bodied and carbonation does not interfere with the flavor profile. I didn't notice it before but it has a full creamy character that feels very nice in the mouth. It goes down very easily and I could drink it all day. However, I know for a fact that there are other APAs out there which I am definitely going to try to get my hands on.. Although I love Stone's beers this one just didn't meet my expectations. I would rather prefer to drink GLBC Burning River or SNPA over this one.

becktone, Nov 13, 2006
4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

12 oz. bottle, 5.4 % ABV. Very clear darker copper color. Thick white foamy, rocky head. Looks very robust. Where is the hop aroma I was expecting. Not much more than a hint of floral and citrusy hops. Earthy and bready in the nose. The head held well for a few minutes, then disappeared, leaving just a thin ring. A bit of earthiness at first, slightly toasty malt. Floral hops are restrained, and there are hints of citrusy hops as well. Finishes with a big jolt of bready, almost nutty flavors. Not at all what you would expect from Stone, considering their hoppy lineup. Low carbonation and ABV make this a great session beer. Interesting, unexpected and very nice.

Bierguy5, Nov 07, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

comment - style for this beer should be burton pale ale or english pale ale (traditional), not APA. Scored by corrected style.

22ox bottle from this renowned california brewery. to date, besides arrogant bastardand smoked porter, i have been unimpressed by their beers, but what do I know.

this beer pours a very deep orange with a fluffy off-white head.

Nose reminds me immediately of a pale ale I had in the UK years ago and I cannot recall the name but the distincthoppy notes with underlying maltiness, almost but not roasted malt, is very distinct in my mind. If I remember the resemblence I will edit this. It might be cask bass ale from pre-sale of the brewery, as I don't think I have had many pale ales in the years 2001-beyond (does inveralmond have/had one? isle of skye?) This beer also reminds me, later in the bottle, to Fullers London Pride (cask).

taste is the almost-sweet buttery notes of a typical burton pale ale, stone has apparently recreated an accurate estimate of the style.

Authentic pale ale in the style of burton-upon-trent, I have not had one that rang so close before. Along with the alesmith anvil esb, there are apparently a decent set of english-style authentic ales available in south california. Well worth seeking out, and certainly better than any bottled bass you will get on this side of the pond.

dogfooddog, Nov 07, 2006
2.35/5  rDev -39.1%

A: Pours a reddish copper with a frothy head. Light lacing.

S: Great aroma of floral hops and citrus

T: Mellow hops taste with a malty flavor that tastes like stale, soggy Cherrios. This just tastes off.

M: Fairly light in body with moderate carbonation.

D: This has some potential, but the flavor is just plain bad. This barely passes as drinkable.

klewis, Nov 05, 2006

I poured this 12oz bottle into a pint glass. It is a wonderful copper in color with a slightish head a faint tan. Both in smell and taste lots of hops, grassy, and citrusy. The carbonation is a bit more than I expected, but it is very refreshing. It finishes dry. Overall, it is a pretty bold pale ale. It is a bit too hoppy for the style me thinks, but that aside it is a very good beer.

adammills, Oct 28, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is orange/amber palish. It has nice head and great retention. It has a nice hop scent. Sort of citrusy. Taste is incredibly well balanced. This beer was sooo perfect to relax with it is highly sessionable. One of the best pale ales I've had. Go try one.

jasonjlewis, Oct 28, 2006

pours a deep copper color with a decent pillowy white head that fell into a haze accross the top.
the aroma is not very intense like most american pales that come out of california. light malt, light hopsack, little bit of yeast.
the flavor is malty, little carmelized malt, hopsack, clean, drops off and has a lingering hop spice.
this is a good pale, easy drinking, i di dnot expect much the guy at the beer store told me it was not very good. He was VERY WRONG.

plaztikjezuz, Oct 28, 2006
2.78/5  rDev -28%

Pours an off-red color and almost smells like an Oktoberfest brew. Decent pillowy head and nice lacing down the glass, an excellent session beer. Some hops and what appears to smell like caramel and some type of apple-cherry type fruit. Not Stone's best overall beer but a sure nice one.

bigdeuce, Oct 28, 2006
3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

Amber caramel pour with a frothy amber head.

Smell is a bit subdued for Stone, but it is probably closer to what an actual pale ale should be. Some resinous hops are supported by a caramel malt sweetness.

Flavor is very subdued. Starts tart and slightly sweet. Leaves a nice, fresh baked bread malty flavor in the after taste. A slight bitterness is left on the back of the tongue.

Low to medium body, an OK beer, but fairly small for what I would expect from Stone.

nortmand, Oct 21, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

from the bottle BOUGHT HERE IN MICHIGAN today. poured a nice rich amber copper with a big off white head. aroma, bready, hops, brown sugar, orange, malt. flavor,hops come right out first, a slight sour orange malt, a little nuttieness like almonds, nice bitterness and dryness. not to bad

walleye, Oct 12, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

Appearance: The deepest of ambers. Pours with a generous head and leaves attractive lacing.

Smell: Lotsa hops! Also registering a sweet caramel malt structure.

Taste: Straightforward without being too simple. This is a very hoppy number, but it's not overwhelming at all. Great balance.

Mouthfeel: A wee bit sticky, but very refreshing nontheless.

Drinkability: I can & have downed many of these. This is a rare brew whose appeal to me isn't affected by the season. I could drink this anywhere.

jeffjfindley, Oct 07, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +7%

Reddish-orange body with a thick, creamy yellowish/orange-white head. A very beautiful APA.

Nose is nutty malt with a light hoppiness. Nice, a little less in your face (or in your nose) than I expected from Stone.

Flavor is fairly mild and balanced. The slightly sweet, nutty malt is most of the story here. There is a distinct hop finish, but it is light-years away from the "Big C" blast of a Stone IPA.

Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy and slightly zippy.

Drinkability is really very good. I must have this on tap.

Stone needs to start distributing this in MA. I have had to trade to get the 3 bottles that I have had so far. It is a great brew, like the rest of their lineup.

Thanks to bennetj17 for the trade.

ghostwalker, Oct 01, 2006
3.43/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a pretty translucent mahogany with a fluffy head that quickly dissipates. Good carbonation. Smells pretty light, some floral hops and a hint of wheats. Taste is also a bit light, very slight nuttiness almost with a gradually prominent floral hoppiness. Good drinker, i'd have it again, rather punchy for a pale ale.

aquatonex, Sep 08, 2006

Large, tight, three-finger off-white meringue rose up above the rim of my pint glass from a moderate pour. Clear orange-amber body. Good, thick lacing. Nice looking beer.

Smell is floral and citrus hops, with a butter diacetyl note over a solid caramel malt background.

Taste is smooth and walnutty in the front, bitey and citrusy-peppery in the middle, lightly pine-bitter in the finish. Nice complexity. Not one-dimensional at all.

Pleasantly sticky and round mouthfeel, with good carbonation that is not overtly filling.

Very drinkable. Never have I been a fan of APA's or IPA's, but Stone has done a good job with this one. I'll probably look for this again.

ColoradoBobs, Sep 05, 2006
3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours dark amber with a bubbly (if short-lived) tan head. Leaves a good amount of lacing on the glass.

Aroma is bready with some earthy hops.

Taste is dry and bready with a decent malt base. Earthy hops with some citrus notes. Lingering bitterness after the swallow.

Mouthfeel is thin, but is helped by a nice amount of carbonation.

Good drinkability.

A solid pale ale. Worth a try, but may be disappointing if you're expecting something like Stone's stronger fare.

jimdkc, Sep 05, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

I recently enjoyed a six of this beer last week, but without notes on smell,taste, and mouthfeel, I was left at an impass.I personally can't analyse a beer unless it's right in front of me at the time. So I decided to get another six at my local liquor store. Here we go!

A- definite amber color to this one. pours a good 2 finger head that disapates after about 2-3 sips (one gulp).

S- It smelled, above all, sweet and malty.I nearly dipped my nose in trying to suck up every smell it had to offer, and at the very closest all I got was a faint alcohol aroma, no hoppiness to be found on the intial smell test.

T- An excellent PA, this pale warms you up with a light bready malt flavor then kicks in with the expected hop kick half way through the experience. very faint hops in the after taste that doesn't seem to clear near the back of the throat. Not unpleasant, so my philosophy is 'lets drink some more to get out that after taste. Overall, a well balanced blend of malt to hops.

M- This one is soft, and borderline creamy. Not creamy like a daught guinness, or an excellent oatmeal stout, but pleasantly so none the less.

D- I could imagine myself in an english pub drinking this to oblivion and having no imediate regrets. My only concern would be the morning after.

Ochsenblut, Aug 31, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured amber/orange with a1" white head. Great lacing & average head retention

S: Earthy hops give way to malty sweetness

T: Earthy hops (peppery) up front then a thick malty base. Some citrus notes, then a nice hoppy/malty biscuitty finish

MF: Medium body with good carbonation & real good balance

Drinks very easy, this a nice counter statement to many of the big beers that I love from Stone, just goes to show small & sensible can be beautiful too! Yum

russpowell, Aug 30, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -6%

Pours nicely with a good head. Darker than many California pale ales. Stone makes big beers and this one seems to have a stronger emphasis on malt than on hops. The bitterness is not over the top but lingers nicely. I personally prefer a more floral aroma than this has, but it occupies a nice nitch for drinkers who want a full bodies PA with some hoppiness that balances well with malt.

I don't regard this as much of a session beer as do some of the other reviewers. I enjoy one at a session but then feel like moving on to something else.

nohead02, Aug 20, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to my pint glass, The liquid is a cloudy Yellow with good carbonation. the head is 3 fingers and rocky, great retention, small lace.

The smell is a big hop statement, Getting to be average.

The taste is.... WOW Zing POW! Dang! Got me.. Nice, smooth, well balanced not the hop bomb I was expecting. Hopy but not over the top. Well Done!

The mouth feel is Coating and creamy. Excellent body. not too sharp a bit.

The drinkability in way high, nothing holding it back. Prosit MK

MuenchenerKindl, Aug 17, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

One pint on tap in a mug.

Nice copper-colored beer, darker than most pale ales. A slight bit hazy and with a creamy white head. Has a nice, strong aroma of nice, bitter hops, citrus, and malts as well. The taste is similar -- nicely balanced citrusy hops with lighter malts. A bit of grainyness as well. Medium-bodied with a nice level of carbonation. Although certainly rather strong, it is a very drinkable and enjoyable. It often seems that Stone tries to go over-the-top with their beers, but this is a really solid offering from them that has impressed me.

mithrascruor, Aug 13, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a glass tulip goblet.

Appearance - Slightly hazy medium amber color. The color is very spectacular on this pale ale. The head is just over a finger at first. It's white, silky, and sticky. It quickly dissipates to a constant lace that remains for the whole drink.

Smell - The scent is slightly faint, but right off the bat I can smell those signature bitter citrusy hops (can't wait to take a sip). Also, the malt aroma is in the far background, but definitely present and it smells perfect. The malt smell is rich and full.

Taste - Wow, this is a pale ale with character! Right up front the bitter, crisp, and citrusy hops come out strong, with the rich malt coming fast behind it. The end of the taste is dominated again by the hops, and the malt is again commanding the background, doing its job perfectly. The flavor is perfect for a pale ale. This brew is the benchmark by which to compare all other pale ales, in my opinion.

Mouthfeel - Again I'm amazed. The carbonation is spot on. It is medium-bodied and flows around in your mouth like smooth silk. It's very clean, very crisp, and very refreshing. Perfect again.

Drinkability - Let's just say this is one of my staple brews. For a pale ale, this is the most fantastic brew I've had. The hops are bold, the malt flavor is perfect, and it has a refreshing bitter hop aftertaste that is most pleasing.

Overall, this beer would be given a 5.0 across the board if the brew itself were perfectly clear with a more impressive head, and if the smell was a bit more pronounced. However, these slight weaknesses are far outweighed by the exceptional flavor, mouthfeel, and ease of drinking. This is a must have!

dblinkhorn, Aug 10, 2006
Stone Pale Ale from Stone Brewing Co.