Stone Pale Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Pale AleStone Pale Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-23-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Pale Ale Alström Bros
2.68/5  rDev -30.4%

Pours a darker reddish orange than expected, with translucent innards and a thick foamy white head that laces well and dissipates fairly quickly. Leaves behind a collar of white that remains throughout the drink.

Smells of grapefruit, rind and all, and has a very bitter spin on the citrus. Isn't particularly pungent though - this is a confused smell to be sure. You don't get much malt or alcohol sweetness out of this on the nose. Hops are leafy aside from the grapefruit barrage.

Taste follows, with some grapefruit that doesn't really assert itself to go with grainy, uncooked malt. This one tastes a bit more like an English Bitter than a traditional pale ale. Citrus fades away the further into the glass you get, but the malt profile doesn't come in to save the day either. Sort of hurts the drinkability.

Mouthfeel is light, while being lively thanks to the strong carbonation. May be a bit too light at times though, and could have benefited from an increased body, as this is more and more like an English Bitter the more I drink it. Unfortunately, rating to the style, this falls short a bit, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't have this again.

2.73/5  rDev -29.1%

04/05/13 On tap. Once again something tagged a "pale ale" hits my taste buds with a solid shot of hoppiness. This time I'm disinclined to forgive. Why is this not an IPA? The IBU is in the 25-50 range (if you believe in such things) but my tongue says "Bull-Donkey". Something's gotta give. So glad to have notes at BA so I don't make this mistake again.

Mind you, I'm just not that fond of hops so this may appeal to those that are. Go figure!

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

Stone does not have a bad beer in their line up. Outside of the 07 vertical epic (which isn't ready to be fully judged) I can't remember one that wasn't at the very least interesting. That said this is far from a great pale ale.

Reddish amber in color with a HUGE fluffy head, lacing everywhere...you really can't look much better than this. Maybe a bit more carbonation but exceptional is an understatement.

The nose is soft sweet amber malt.

The flavor is a mix of citrus and bread. Soft pale. The hops and malt are balanced to a fault. Look stone, you make amazing hoppy beers. You're amber is a dry hopped under 5% alcohol masterpiece. This beer desperately needs something else to make it work. I am a huge fan of APA's....really it is second to IPA in my book and it's close. There are some amazing APA's. This isn't one of them.

This is a drinkable beer. It's a touch thick for drinking a bunch of.

The mouth is rather nice. So much carbonation, silky but thin enough to drink a few.

I'm bias for stone beers. LOVE them. I'm bias for hops, and this doesn't do it. Sorry stone, you missed on this beer. It's a darn good beer, but for an APA and for Stone...this is unacceptable!

2.78/5  rDev -27.8%

Pours an off-red color and almost smells like an Oktoberfest brew. Decent pillowy head and nice lacing down the glass, an excellent session beer. Some hops and what appears to smell like caramel and some type of apple-cherry type fruit. Not Stone's best overall beer but a sure nice one.

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A. A dark amber/light copper color with 2 finger sof off white head. Medium lacing down the glass.

S. PIcking up some sweet malt and a good amount of dark fruits: Dates, raisins. Not much hop essence coming through.

T. I am wondering how old the 6-pack is. Not getting any real hop flavor at all, mostly sweet maltiness like toffee and ripe dark fruits. Not bad, not that good. Overall not what I was expecting from a pale ale, nor what I prefer. I think the bottles may be really old.

M. Medium bodied, moderate carbination

D. Overall not my cup of tea, or ale in this case. Not really bad, but was expecting a lot more from this beer. May buy one more down the road to see if this was a old batch, but would much rather have a Dales Pale, SNPA or many other PA's before this one.

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

The color is cloudy dark amber with a finger or two of foamy white head that leaves some nice lacing on the glass.

The smell is pretty muted with some slight butterscotch flavor for just a moment.

The taste is creamy with some caramel flavor that stays for a while. This may be a bit old since I am getting no hop flavor that I can detect but just malts leading the way.

The feel of this beer is pretty light and goes down well. This was not the best Stone beer I have ever had by any means and it may be one of the lesser beers that Stone makes but overall not bad.

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As you can see from my ratings this is a pretty average brew. Doesn't make you want run for cover but does not wow ya either. One of my least favorite from Stone by far. Anyway here goes.

A - Pours a reddish copper with a fizzy type head that disappears real quick.

S - Catty kind of grassy hop aroma, very slight malt aroma.

T - Nothing really dominates the flavor at all. I guess you could say its balanced in a way, but to me its dull. A small trace of the catty hops, a very small trace of malt. Some apple kind of aftertaste also.

M - The mouthfeel is medium, not watery not heavy. Carbonation is lively just a tad on the fizzy side.

D - Due to above factors I could imagine downing the sixer in a sitting. But after 1 or 2 I myself would go after something more interesting.

Other APAs I have drunk had a more defining hop character. This one does not. Its kind of weird for a company that just packs the hops in a lot of thier beers their APA is kind of a dull affair. If you want something really unoffensive this might fit the bill. Otherwise if you like a hoppy american APA with some character look somewhere else I would say.

2.84/5  rDev -26.2%

2.85/5  rDev -26%

Pretty nice color...amber and golden brown. nice head, even from a bottle. The taste was "yeasty" however. Maybe it was the bottle I had...but based on other reviews I think this beer has some more potential. I would like to try it again...

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%

Straightforward copper color with a white head. Nice lace on the glass. Smelled malty and slightly fruity, but not much hop aroma at all. Tasted somewhat bland - a bland, non-variety specific sort of bitterness, no perceived caramel background or malt nuttiness. Finished dry and felt medium-bodied. Drinkability was just sort of average. Not a bad beer, but nothing to write home about either.

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%

12oz bottle. Decided to pick this one up instead of trying the Stone IPA since I needed to have some "calmer" beers for visitors. Pours a clear copper with medium head and carbonation. Aroma is a bit light and indistinct. And I have to say that the taste is also indistinct. It's difficult to put in words, since there's nothing that particularly stands out with this one. I'm a bit surprised at its relatively high ratings... (well, high overall, but a bit low for Stone.) Perhaps Stone's reputation is responsible for this? I have to say I'm disappointed with this one - and that's the first time I've ever had to say that about a Stone product. I wasn't expecting anything over the top from their APA, but was hoping for more than this.

Stone Pale Ale from Stone Brewing Co.