Stone Pale Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Pale AleStone Pale Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-23-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 979 | Hads: 2,676

Shake pint glass.

Rusty cinnamon body, tan foamy head. Great lacing

Spicy wood, cedar, malts, hints of caramel in the nose.

Tastes just like it smells.

Thick mouthfeel, almost creamy.

Overall, very thick, spicy, chewy. Reminds me of a Rogue beer? (252 characters)

Reviewed based on tasting notes from a blind pale ale tasting.

12 oz. bottle inside a paper bag poured into a plastic tasting cup.

A- Dark copper color.

S- Sweet, boozy, not much hops aroma.

T- Tastes like it has some age on it, boozy, sweet, stale and lacking hop flavors, but still retaining a good amount of bitterness.

M- Full for the style. Not much carbonation.

O- Realized this one was past the date after the tasting. Still drinkable, although not at all what it was supposed to be. Also, a worthwhile experience to blindly compare fresh and not so fresh pale ales to hone one's palate. I'm a lot better about checking dates now. (643 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -22.3%

A - Nice copper color/ deep amber. big fluffy head that leaves lots of lace.

S - Strong papery smell of the worst hops in the world...AMARILLO!!! I hate these hops. There is a slight background of malt, but light and balanced.

T - those damn Amarillo hops kill it. Although it does get better as it warms up. The malt breakes though

M - It starts out dry slight bitternes, and some slight carbonation. Wets the mouth nicely and then returns to dry city. The bitterness has a nice touch.

D - For the style it is spot on. Balanced and smooth. Its the flavor of those hops I cant get past. Horrible. But then that is my own personal taste. (650 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -22%

Decided to edit the first review and give this one another go-right after doing a review on Anchor liberty. I find that I really have mixed feelings about this one.

This amber/copper pale ale pours with a nice creamy one finger head.
As the creamy slightly off white head begins to receed it leaves a wall of lacing along the edges of the glass. Head retention is alright, the head lasts but is losing mass all the while. Could be better.

The aroma of this beer suprises me. I expected hops in the foreground with some malt background influences. In this beer the nose is slightly caramel with some spicy hop character as well. Other than that this beer has a very clean, but faint aroma, that hints at a hop presence.In my opinion this beer's aroma would be imporved if it were hoppier, I feel that a hoppy aroma is a definitive factor among APAs. As this beer warms up diacetyl is becomes noticable.

This beer is again not what I expected from an American Pale Ale. The balance between malt and hops in this beer is quite nice. The hop flavor in this beer isn't what I expected from an APA, however it is still good. I would havet to say that the hop proflie is more floral and grassy as opposed to the citrus character. I don't know why but I am having a really tough time describing the flavor profile of this beer.

In the mouth this beer is medium bodied and carbonation does not interfere with the flavor profile. I didn't notice it before but it has a full creamy character that feels very nice in the mouth. It goes down very easily and I could drink it all day. However, I know for a fact that there are other APAs out there which I am definitely going to try to get my hands on.. Although I love Stone's beers this one just didn't meet my expectations. I would rather prefer to drink GLBC Burning River or SNPA over this one. (1,849 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -21.7%

Reviewed 8/6/2008 (Draft @ Flying Saucer, Houston, TX):

Pours a reddish brown color. Creamy gray-whitish head, good lacing and seems to last. Very mild aroma, some nuttiness. Maybe some dark grapes. Fizzy, smooth not creamy. Some nutiness, some balance. Some dustiness. Mild. Some kind of fruit in tne taste, but not dark fruit. I guess I was expecting more hoppiness. (369 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -21.7%

This beer was not what I expected. A nice amber color. Smells grapefruity/hoppy with kind of a funky skunky smell. The taste really threw me. It has an unexpected harshly bitter/musky taste that I didn't particularly like. It's different...I'll give it that. It seems rather harsh for a pale ale...more like an IPA. Kind of funky even for an IPA. Honestly, I don't think I would buy it again... (394 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -21.5%

Shared with mjyoung.

A - Clear orange amber color with a moderate amount of white colored head.

S - Musky, yeasty aroma with hints of grassy hops. Unexpected and very off-putting.

T - The malt dominates throughout with a little citrusy hops on backend, creating a sweet and sour finish.

M - Light to medium bodied. Medium carbonation.

D - I was expecting a little more out of a Stone beer, but it was certainly drinkable. (427 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21.2%

A: Attractive coppery orange color with a dense head of foam. Medium levels of carbonation, and mild lacing in the glass.

S: Light citrus notes and hops. A touch of buttery malt and toasted grain. Overall, rather lean on the aroma side, but still appropriate; this isn't an over-the-top IPA.

T: A sweet biscuit maltiness blends with smooth, buttery husk and grain, with a lightly sweet hoppy note. Finishes rather bitter, with a slightly dry-hop aftertaste. Not bad.

M: Goes down easy, light on the palate, medium carbonation. All right on for the style.

D: Average. A solid APA, but nothing out of the ordinary here; I've come to expect a bit more from Stone Brewing. Kind of lacks balance, in my mind. Could be a sessioner for diehard fans of the APA style. Worth a try. (784 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -20.7%

I thought I'd give this a try snce I had heard good things about this brewerys products. On the second sip the taste was empty, almost watery. I think I might have a bad batch although there was decent head retention and lace on my glass? I might take it back and exchange it. THE "good" sip featured a nice hoppy tang though it did taste similar to other west oast ales. All in all nothing special and a bit of a letdown (422 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -20.2%

I didn't know what to expect. I love most of Stone's offerings, but I had never tried the APA. Stone is fairly new to Maryland. The color on the pour was a little darker and richer than I expected. Amber tones, and maltier on the nose. I picked up some hops, Centennial, I believe...maybe a little Warrior, but not as strong as the de facto for this style...Sierra Nevada. Nice lacing and a thin, but firm head. Hoppy at the start, which I love, then the malt takes over. A little stronger than I normally would like, but it lends to a good balance. Pretty clean finish for this style.

I liked it. Not my favorite as I tend more towards IPAs, but this is a good brew for friends who aren't the hop-head I am. I love Stone bottles. I don't know if you'll find it in my fridge all the time, but every so often, I'll grab a sixer when I'm in the mood. (849 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz : tulip

Clear amber-red ale with a thin, foamy off white head.

While still pleasant, I was surprised by the aroma. Much more malt balance than I tend to expect from Stone. Faint citric, floral hops, balanced with caramel, nutty malts.

The taste follows the nose for the most part.

Medium+ body, foamy carbonation.

A decent beer, nothing unpleasant, but not necessarily anything exciting either. (404 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured a 12 ounce bottle into a glass mug.

A: Pours an amber body with no significant head. Has a small lacing along the top of the beer with some lacing along the sides of the mug as I drained the beer, but that was about it.

S: A slightly malty smell. Nothing of great evidence to note.

T: Slightly malty taste, but, similar to the smell, nothing overpowering. I expected a little bit more of a malt flavor.

M: A little on the thin side, but pretty smooth and crisp.

D: A pretty drinkable beer. Easy going down and a decent taste. A more robust malt taste, or maybe even some hints of bittering hops, would have made this brew a much stronger pale ale. (659 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -19.7%

A- Wow, what a looker in this Perfect Pint glass. Perfect head atop a gorgeous orange copperish color with slight chill haze. Extremely lively and bubbly, nonstop streaming bubbles, helped no doubt by the scored glass bottom. Ridiculously beautiful color, really. Fading hues from rust to deep amber. Fine head, light tan hues on white. Slightest resiny hues, impressive hang time. This head simply will not fade. Exceptional looks for a beer.

S- This damn head gets in the way of sticking my nose in the glass, which is a shame cuz this beer's aroma is a little weak. Fruit scented hops aromas, hard to decipher. Almost dirtier, rawer hops smells, sharper somewhat. Not bad, but the smell is detached.

T- Hops forward, lacking balance between hops and barley. Not as sweet as I like hops-forward beers to be. Not overpowering, but noticeably more apparent. Bitter aftertaste, unpleasant. Leaves a raw sensation on the palette.

Too much raw sticky hops cones and too little balance for my tastes. I can see how others would like this, however, it's just not for me.

M- Quite smooth, great body and construction. Such dead on carbonation to make this a glass that absolutely requires a good glass for long pulls. However, that strong hops does leave my palette with a lasting raw feeling.

D- Almost everything was outstanding to me, except for the most important part; taste. I just don't like the taste sensation of overpowering hops with too little malt counterbalance. Other than that, a great beer. (1,506 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -18.9%

Bought a six pack after the storm clean up, pours a dark copper/ amber / borwn color with a 2 inch head that settle down to about a 1/2 inch.

A it appears very nice with the color and the small retaining head.

S It has a very light hoppy smell not as strong as other pale ale's.

T taste is a light hop and citrus taste with a mild little bite to it.

M Mild carbonation and goes down smooth with no bad after taste that I have incured with others.

O Overall it is a good beer that I can drink again but there are others out there that are better I think. (558 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA

Poured a hazy, reddish-amber with a one-finger, off white, foamy head that faded to a thick ring of lace.

The aroma was rather mild. Smooth, buttery German malts and some fruitiness were initially detectable, along with a slight metallic tinge. (Very lager-ish, in some regards.) As the beer warmed, the fruitiness became more apparent.

The taste was subtle yet well balanced. A touch of malty creaminess was noticeable up front before the beer turned slightly bitter mid-palate. Some fruity notes became noticeable as the beer warmed. A citrusy, slight hop bite was apparent on the back end. The finish was somewhat hoppy and bitter with a smooth, buttery, malty aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was medium bodied, fairly smooth and creamy.

Overall, this was definitely the least exciting Stone offering I have had to date, yet it was one of the most sessionable. (932 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A: Dark amberish color, kind of murky in the glass. 1/2 inch head which dispersed pretty quickly with a circular white foam remaining around the glass. Decent carbonation.

S: Not much coming through in the smell for me. Mostly smelling biscuity malts coming through with slight hop presence in the smell.

T: Hop bitterness comes through at first but the taste changes quickly. The maltiness comes through quickly and takes over the palate. There is a little more bitterness on the back end before the taste fades with a crisp, clean finish

M: Light clean body, slightly over carbonated but not overwhelmingly so. Decent mouth feel.

O: An average Pale Ale. Nothing really stood out with it but nothing really offended the senses. (732 characters)

Stone Pale Ale

Appearance- light brown/ orange/ amber with a decent head.
Smell- floral and citrus hops not as strong as some IPA's
Taste- very similair to Sierra Nevada but just a little more washed down. Floral hops and a grapefruit/ lemony rind taste add a little bitterness.

Overall- a basic run-of-the-mill IPA. Nothing to shout about but I would drink again. (372 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.2%

Obtained as part of the Double Trouble Bif.

This is not my favorite Stone brew. The beer just seems too bland. Not bad, just average. The smell is creamy and the taste is hoppy bot and it has a slight adjunct taste. The mouthfeel is smooth. Drinkability is good. This beer is not bad. It is, however, plain. Average for the style. Drinkable. No thumbs up or down. Medium. (375 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.2%

Paid a little more for this so was expecting something but didn't get it. I mean it was good but nothing worth the extra coin for me.
A - a bit hazy, dark honey color with an off -white head that doesn't stick around long.
S - light, pleasant smell
T - clean, not sweet, not anything really, nice not too overpowering bitterness after.
M - medium carbonation and squeezes the tongue a little so the tastebuds pop...just not much for them to do.
D - the clean dry taste and slight bitter finish made for an easily downable pint. good just not that special for me. (562 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -18.2%

Golden pale color from the tap. Served in apint glass with a small white frothy head. Tastes of a faint caramel sweetness. Does have some mild hops but not bitter. A bit thin on the backbone. Kind of bland but went very well with pizza. Would be a great choice as a session beer with most any meal. (298 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy auburn color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is dominated by piney hops. Taste is a hop bomb. Significant bitterness throughout, no balance to speak of. Feels medium bodied and very bitter in the mouth and overall is a mediocre beer. (277 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Pours a dark orange, slightly amber color, white frothy head, decent retention and some lacing

S: some subtle earthy hops on the front followed by a big bready malt profile, I suspect this brew isn't as fresh as it could be so perhaps the hops are typically a little stronger

T:the front starts with some malty sweetness which is offset by a decent dose of hop bitterness, this beer finishes dry and bready with a touch of yeast

MF: medium body, medium carbonation

D: not a bad a bad brew, but this one isn't as good as Stone's other offerings. There is nothing that stands out about this beer. (601 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Clear, glimmering amber with a big, fluffy light tan head and good lacing.

S: Thick, bready malts with some piney hop bitterness.

T/M: Bready and malty, with some bitter, piney hops threaded through it. Fairly mild and simple, with a medium/light mouthfeel.

O: Not the most exciting beer or even the most exciting pale ale. Easily drinkable and moderately tasty, but nothing too special. (394 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -17.9%

Reviewed on 8/2/08. Bottle. Pours a clear orange/red with a small tan head. Aroma of raisin and sweet malt. Flavor of the same sweet malt and raisin, very light floral hop presence. This doesn't taste like any pale ale I've had before. It's a little too malty/sweet for me, which normally I like, but this was too raisiny/super sweet. Just ok for me.
6/4/6/4/14 (3.4/5) (369 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -17.6%

(Draught at our hotel in San Diego). Pours clear copper color with tan head. Moderate carbonation. Aroma is heavy malts, citrus, and resin. Taste is semi-sweet with some moderate bittering hops. Thin and a bit watery, its has an oily texture. Ok beer. (251 characters)

Stone Pale Ale from Stone Brewing Co.