Stone Pale Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Pale AleStone Pale Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-23-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 979 | Hads: 2,661
4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into a Sierra Nevada Pint Glass

Appearance: reddish brownish, hazy amber. Can't really see through it with a finger off-white head that with good lacing around.

Smell: Caramel, hazel, dark fruity notes, yet sweet and malty.

Taste: sweet orangey caramel maltiness. It's more on the malty side.

Mouthfeel: medium full-boddied with moderate carbonation

Overall: This is a great APA, by far one of my favorites. It has a very rich, yet complex taste. This is an excellent session beer. (493 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Beer pours a deep copper /orange color with a 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, decent lacing left in glass. Smell is of mildly sweet malt with a citrus hops aroma. Taste is sweet malt upfront with a mild citrus hop flavor following. Carbonation was good and beer was medium bodied.

A solid Pale Ale but nothing extraordinary. Well balanced. (347 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -10%

I'm reviewing the bottle. Gotta say I really like this beer *on-tap* *at Stone*... but I don't get to make it there often enough and every time I open a bottle hoping for that fresh, floral experience, I end up with an overly bitter, one-dimensional brew. Maybe it's that "bon souvenir" effect - the beer's so delicious because I'm drinking it in their lovely garden. I don't know. I'm sure the freshness makes a difference, too.

The beer is not unattractive, though somewhat darker than I expect for a pale. Though even the bottled beer smells fresh, it just doesn't have that captivating floral hop profile I remember. Overly bitter on the palate, harsh without any sort of balance. It's not awful, it's not gross, but it's not pleasurable either. I'll drink a whole one - perhaps in part because each sip compels me to wash the bitterness out of my mouth, which becomes something of a fruitless effort - but I won't have a second.

Last time I had one, I drank it side-by-side with their IPA. I kept asking my friend who poured them, "are you sure this is the pale? Are you SURE?" The pale is darker and, in my opinion, has a less-balanced hop profile than the IPA. It's just not what I want from a pale ale. (1,213 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

After pouring a pint of this one, there was an average, off-white, frothy head that lasted.

Color was a light amber.

Aroma: Average malts present. Some caramel and straw. Light hops with a hint of grass. Very light yeast with some wood in there too.

It had a medium body, creamy texture, some carbonation with a metallic finish.

Flavor duration was short, so no bad aftertaste. Moderately sweet and slightly bitter.

Pretty good for Stone, not one of their best though. (473 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

A beer haiku for you:

"What a nice surprise!
A California taste treat;
Winner from the West".

I have walked by this beer and brewery so many times, believing it to be one of myriad pricey but underwhelming American breweries with delusions of grandeur. To quote my dear old Aunt Sassy from the Panhandle: 'well, slap my mouth'! Extremely drinkable and tasty APA.
Such a pleasant surprise--will definitely check out more of the Stone Company's offerings.
Cheers! (466 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -2%

Appearance: Pours a golden/amber hue with a finger length lace on top. Heavily carbonated with slight cloudy look.

Smell: a hoppy and grapefruit citrus scent

Taste: Mildly sweet with a slightly bitter aftertaste

Mouthfeel: Not too carbonated, crisp, leaves a malty aftertaste

Drinkability: A lighter pale ale with avg abv, its not a bad beer, deff worth a try (366 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance - Copper/red body with an off white head only got 1 finger and it died pretty fast very light lacing.

Smell - Yeast and hops smells good just not very complex.

Taste - Very nice bitter sweet hop taste all the way and kind of taste the yeast but its a weak note.

Mouthfeel - Medium body smooth while its cold and it gets almost creamy after I let it warm up.

Overall - I like it would still rather have an IPA over an APA any day but I would never complain about it. Lovely brew here go grab one for yourself and check it out. (540 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

poured from a bottle to a guinness tulip: a hard-ish pour yields a finger of white soapy foam. the head recedes quickly a small ring of bubbly lace. some lace clings to the glass. the body is somewhat cloudy, not turbid though, orangish color. pockets of small bubbles are releasing below the surface.

i catch some hops in the aroma, and a nice crisp malt smell. they're actually in somewhat of a nice balance, which i didn't expect from a stone beer (guess i'm used to all the bigger beers they do).

the taste has a good balance to it. you get both malt (but not much sweetness from it) and hop flavor and bitterness. it's actually quite a nice harmony.

the mouthfeel is just right for this one. a nice medium body. not too much carbonation so that it's still got some bubbles and not an oil slick.

easy drinking. a good session beer for those that prefer a dry pale ale. (877 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed this craft at San Diego zoo.. Had my wife finally sip on some quality beers so this one is special! For a pale ale.. This is class A. Stone doing work! (160 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +16.4%

Not pale at all, a deep rich amber with a nice head that floats for a minute or two. Enough lacing to let you know that it's a legitimate beer.

Smells slightly sweet, floral and hoppy, just like a pale ale should.

Tastes like a strong raisin-esque pilsner. Lots of flavor but light and refreshing. Doesn't get any better than this as far as standard APAs go. Sure you can go more hardcore with barleywines and IIPAs, but as far as drinkable session PAs go, this is the bar for me.

Again, refreshing and crisp, with enough gravity to feel real but not enough to weigh you down. Say goodbye to at least three once you start.

Overall, it's an upper-medium priced beer that's well worth it if you're an APA fan. Prefer this over a lot of the more intense Stone varieties, if I'm honest. (786 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -1%

A: Pours a dark caramel color with an off white fluffy head. Mostly clear, decent lacing throughout.

S: Getting some pale malt, a little hop and a bit of sour.

T: Overall a pretty smooth taste with some slight bitterness and even a little toasted flavor. Slight lingering hop flavor. I get a touch of the usual pale flavor in this but its much more masked (some might say complex) than most pale ales.

M: Creamy and hearty. This beer really coats the mouth.

D: Fairly drinkable though a bit heavier than I expected.

Overall I was expecting much more from this beer, especially at $11 per 6 pack. I'd stick to the Stone IPA for that price. (643 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours out of the bottle with a beautifully classic amber hue. Creates a single finger of head which quickly dissipates it has a lace that just disapears back into the beer.

The smell is malty and a slight crispness of hops

It's taste is of crisp malts up front that disapear almost too quickly into a burned Carmel with a slight bitterness from the hops at the back of the tongue.

It's mouth feel is like champagne very soft and smooth almost a velvety feel.

I not only think I Could Session this beer I am going to do so all weekend.

Great Beer Stone!!! (561 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Poured from a bottle into a sniffer. Thin white head, about a half finger. Perfectly clear light brown amber color.

S - Very hoppy in the nose, floral, sweet. A bit of malty notes. Great smelling beer.

T - Perfectly balanced. Malty at first, the the hops enter later. A bit of sweetness in the finish.

M - Smooth mouthfeel, not overcarbonated. Get a little bit of tingle in your throat. Very drinkable.

O - Wow, great nose and perfectly balanced. Add its drinkability. Excellent beer. (492 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +10%

Pours a light cinnamon brown with an amazing 3 finger light tan head. Smells like like sweet dough and floral hops. Taste is a shock for such a small beer. First tastes like peaches in a caramel glaze with brown sugar mixed in. Follows with nice hops and a grainy finish. Very impressive. Mouthfeel is oh so smoth with a great balance of malt and carbination. Drinkability is a very good. Definately would drink a six of this with NO problem. Stone does it again!! (464 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

Got to love Stone's bottle, my gf asked if I was drinking the devil's beer. The appearance is red with a nice frothy head. The smell is oakish and hoppy. The taste is rather bitter for a pale ale, but is very smooth drinking. This is a quality beer, great for the style and relatively cheap (290 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -20.2%

I didn't know what to expect. I love most of Stone's offerings, but I had never tried the APA. Stone is fairly new to Maryland. The color on the pour was a little darker and richer than I expected. Amber tones, and maltier on the nose. I picked up some hops, Centennial, I believe...maybe a little Warrior, but not as strong as the de facto for this style...Sierra Nevada. Nice lacing and a thin, but firm head. Hoppy at the start, which I love, then the malt takes over. A little stronger than I normally would like, but it lends to a good balance. Pretty clean finish for this style.

I liked it. Not my favorite as I tend more towards IPAs, but this is a good brew for friends who aren't the hop-head I am. I love Stone bottles. I don't know if you'll find it in my fridge all the time, but every so often, I'll grab a sixer when I'm in the mood. (849 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Decent straw/light amber color with a quickly fading whitish head...some lacing, but nothing too exciting...

S- Some maltiness and citrus characters along with some hops...not bad, but nothing too special.

T- Somewhat sweet...sort of what it smelled like...pretty well balanced, but not enough hops for me...

M- Medium bodied...decent carbonation...nothing extraordinary, but nothing bad...

D- All in all another good brew by Stone, but nothing too special...still beats the hell out of most of the APA's out there... (524 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

this beer is good. it pours a darker than most pale ales amber brown color with a thick creamy head that leaves near perfect lacing. the smell has a very sweet butterscotch and fruity smell it reminds me of fermenting apples. the taste is similar to the smell at fist and flows into a small bite of hops with some faint bitterness that lasts briefly. the feel in the mouth is more creamy than crisp but that's not to say it is lacking any carbonation. i will definatly be picking this one up in my next mixed six pack i grab. Cheers. (533 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

I was expecting more hops from the folks over at Stone. That being said, this brew is delecious. Outstanding color, a deep copper/amberish with a big fluffy white head. The head on this beer is outstanding, very much like that on Sierra Nevadas Celebration Ale. I prefer this to Stones IPA, it seems to me to be a bit more complex and balanced with the malts coming through and not so hop dominated. Very nice. (410 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

I recently enjoyed a six of this beer last week, but without notes on smell,taste, and mouthfeel, I was left at an impass.I personally can't analyse a beer unless it's right in front of me at the time. So I decided to get another six at my local liquor store. Here we go!

A- definite amber color to this one. pours a good 2 finger head that disapates after about 2-3 sips (one gulp).

S- It smelled, above all, sweet and malty.I nearly dipped my nose in trying to suck up every smell it had to offer, and at the very closest all I got was a faint alcohol aroma, no hoppiness to be found on the intial smell test.

T- An excellent PA, this pale warms you up with a light bready malt flavor then kicks in with the expected hop kick half way through the experience. very faint hops in the after taste that doesn't seem to clear near the back of the throat. Not unpleasant, so my philosophy is 'lets drink some more to get out that after taste. Overall, a well balanced blend of malt to hops.

M- This one is soft, and borderline creamy. Not creamy like a daught guinness, or an excellent oatmeal stout, but pleasantly so none the less.

D- I could imagine myself in an english pub drinking this to oblivion and having no imediate regrets. My only concern would be the morning after. (1,290 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +5.4%

A- cloudy, somewhat murky redish brown with a full white head

S- bitter sweet smell of hopiness

T- a nice blend of hops and malt, similar to Sierra Nevada

M- for some reason i felt as though the carbonation was a little much, but not too overwhelming, very crisp bite at the end

D- good, not too heavy, could definitely drink a few of these in a night and be completely satisfied

overall, i'd buy this beer again, i have no complaints about it..a solid choice for any night of the week (491 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance - Pours cloudy amber but settles.

Smell - It smells like a citrus malt.

Taste - It didn't start ice cold but definitely cold. It got better as it warmed.

Mouthfeel - Extremely smooth and refreshing yet with a light to medium body and decent hops aftertaste.

Drinkability - Great everyday beer. I'll add it to the rotation. (339 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +1.3%

I don't know when this beer was "retired" but my local Albertson's supermarket has them on sale today (7/26/1015) Reminds me of seeing my favorite rock band's "farewell tour"... Three years in a row ! (perhaps it's old inventory ?)

12 oz bottle(s) no discernible bottling date info

Pours a copper-peach colored body with a tan 1 inch head, some retention, decent lacing

Smell is mainly of floral hops, some pine. And a healthy dose of fresh bread like malt

Taste a nice balance of malts and hops that gives it a smooth taste, with a very slightly bitter finish

average feel

A nice pale ale There is a lot of balance between the hops and malt. (653 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Thick 2-1/2" of off white creamy head. Great color golden with a red orange hue. Nice lacing also.

Smell - Caramel with lime and citrus tones.

Taste - Like the smell it has a sweet caramel mixed with lime. Has a hop filled finish that makes a great balance.

Mouthfeel - Creamy with good carbonation.

Drinkability - A very good Pale Ale. (354 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%

P: 12 oz stone litho bottle
A: a little darker than i expected, copper-red
S: dry and biscuity
T: some malt and dry biscuit up front, a little hoppier than i expected for a straight pale ale but it works well
M: thin but right for the style
D: could definitely knock back a few of these but the hops seem a little out of balance on this one which cuts back on the drinkability a bit
Notes: not one of my favorite styles, but this is a nice one none the less and pretty drinkable. Stone never lets me down. (505 characters)

Stone Pale Ale from Stone Brewing Co.