Stone Pale Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Pale AleStone Pale Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 06-23-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 979 | Hads: 2,661
3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

A- Cloudy medium copper color with minimal head and very little lacing.

S- Not a very powering scent if any at all. Smells very light with some minor citrus and hop. I really had to get close and smell several times to come up with something.

T- Light on the hop flavor yet nice, very subtle malt and some very light citrus flavor. Doesn't strike me as a very powerful APA. Extremely light tasting but very good.

M- Very light and light body. Light carbonation.

D- First Stone's beer I have tried. Extremely drinkable. Goes down very smooth and very innocent. Not much to it!

Was looking forward to trying this beer. Overall it is a great beer. Would go very well with a piece of white fish or poultry. Very simple and taste very good. I will for sure buy this again and or order it if ever on tap. I definitely recommend trying it. Could almost pass for a lager. (871 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +0.5%

poured from bottle into a DT goblet:

appearance: rich copper color with thick creamy head.

smell: a nice blend of hops an malts goin on here, little bit woody

taste: very balanced pale ale with a great rich taste. very full malt flavor up front with a nice hopped finish. very fresh

mouthfeel: what it should be not too heavy not to light. just right for a pale ale

drinkabilty: at 5.4% alc this brew is easily sessionable. would go great with a burger. another great brew from stone that i feel is greatly overlooked. (523 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +12%

A copper, amber coloration and malty head give this pale a great appearance.

After literally dipping my shnoz in the foam, I took away some subtle hops and fruitiness. A bit orangy and tangy citric.

Hops were there, but not much. A lot of zest from the fruit. Really smooth and not too much bite - just perfect.

A bit more to this beer than was expecting. The flavors are wonderful and the mouthfeel was great. Perfect carbonation and body on the palate.

Stone still doesn't seize to amaze me with their products. This is probably my new favorite pale ale. Everything seems to be moderate and perfected. Love this brew. (625 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A. A dark amber/light copper color with 2 finger sof off white head. Medium lacing down the glass.

S. PIcking up some sweet malt and a good amount of dark fruits: Dates, raisins. Not much hop essence coming through.

T. I am wondering how old the 6-pack is. Not getting any real hop flavor at all, mostly sweet maltiness like toffee and ripe dark fruits. Not bad, not that good. Overall not what I was expecting from a pale ale, nor what I prefer. I think the bottles may be really old.

M. Medium bodied, moderate carbination

D. Overall not my cup of tea, or ale in this case. Not really bad, but was expecting a lot more from this beer. May buy one more down the road to see if this was a old batch, but would much rather have a Dales Pale, SNPA or many other PA's before this one. (832 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -21.7%

This beer was not what I expected. A nice amber color. Smells grapefruity/hoppy with kind of a funky skunky smell. The taste really threw me. It has an unexpected harshly bitter/musky taste that I didn't particularly like. It's different...I'll give it that. It seems rather harsh for a pale ale...more like an IPA. Kind of funky even for an IPA. Honestly, I don't think I would buy it again... (394 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -14.3%

A cloudy caramel body sits under an off-white thin head.
Typical Pale Ale scents of the malts is paired with a citrus aroma.
The flavor is sweet with a good balance of hops. The bite at the end is a nice touch. The clean finish makes for good mouth-feel.
Smooth and easy drinking, this is a good intro into the Pale Ale style. (326 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance - Amber. Nice steady carbonation. Decent head with some remaining...solid lacing. Cloudy.

Smell - Sweet flowery lemon?

Taste - Sweetish, biscuity. Hoppy, bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Good body.

Drinkability - This is a good beer. A bit on the heavy side for me, but I love the carbonation/head as compared to other Pale Ales. Great flavor that turns bitter at the end. (381 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -3.8%

12 oz bottle served in a stone IPA tulip
pours copper with a covering off white head that dissapates
aroma is quite muted
bittering hops on a nice malt backbone, touch of pleastant graininess. classical to the style
easy drinking, probably a very nice beer on tap or cask (275 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Clear amber with a very frothy off white head. Very decent amount of carbonation.

S: Very nice fruity scents. With apple seeming to be the most dominant of the hoppy aromas. Some earthy and floral notes as well.

T: Not as overloaded with hops as other pale ales (Great Lakes Burning river comes to mind) but a nice citrus taste none the less. A very nice earthy malt taste comes in the middle and leaves a nice aftertaste.

M: Not overpowering and enough to let you know your drinking beer. Leaves a clean finish.

D: Excellent beer and one I would recommend if your trying to get a buddy into craft brews. (619 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +13%

If you haven't had Stone's Pale Ale you are really missing something special! This beer is not your typical Pale Ale...it is more malty than most Pale Ale's that I have had. Great brown color, lasting head, and a nice malty, yet very well balanced flavor, makes this beer stand out from the rest! If you don't like bitter/hoppy beer and stay away from Pale Ale's, do not ignore this beer. It is not hoppy by any means and yet at the same time it is not overly sweet or malty either. Stone's Pale Ale is a well balanced beer that you will enjoy over and over again! (564 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Strong white head that lasts. Cloudy light medium burnt orange cloudy.

Great balance of hops and a touch of orange sweetness. Little bit of lasting bitterness in the finish which pairs well with the citrus.

On the take home scale I would take home a six pack. (302 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Red amber with a half inch fine tan head

Malty and citrus scent

Sweet at first. Gives way to bitter citrus hops and a little maltiness

highly carbonated and a little chalky. Not as smooth as i was expecting

Overall very drinkable but there are others out there which i prefer much more. (292 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

From 12oz Bottle

Poured into Sam Adams glass

A: Deep, clear amber/orange color. You could also say copper. On a hard pour, I got a finger of relatively creamy head that mostly dissipated in about 90 seconds leaving a decent lacing on the glass and a thin head. As I drank my glass down, lacing continued to stick.

S: malty scent, relatively strong, slightly toasty. A hop smell is also forward.

T: taste is malty and bitter. The hop bitterness is very forward. It is balanced well with the strong malt flavors.

M: Has a medium body. The carbonation is good. The hoppy aftertaste lingers but not in a bad way.

O: This is a very drinkable pale ale if you are into stronger flavors, especially hops. For all the forward flavor, it is still well balanced and relatively clean tasting. It’s not an introductory pale ale however. It is aggressive for a pale. I have had a lot of this beer, and it pairs quite well with almost any meal.

I will try not to use ‘relatively’ three times in the next review. (1,010 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As you can see from my ratings this is a pretty average brew. Doesn't make you want run for cover but does not wow ya either. One of my least favorite from Stone by far. Anyway here goes.

A - Pours a reddish copper with a fizzy type head that disappears real quick.

S - Catty kind of grassy hop aroma, very slight malt aroma.

T - Nothing really dominates the flavor at all. I guess you could say its balanced in a way, but to me its dull. A small trace of the catty hops, a very small trace of malt. Some apple kind of aftertaste also.

M - The mouthfeel is medium, not watery not heavy. Carbonation is lively just a tad on the fizzy side.

D - Due to above factors I could imagine downing the sixer in a sitting. But after 1 or 2 I myself would go after something more interesting.

Other APAs I have drunk had a more defining hop character. This one does not. Its kind of weird for a company that just packs the hops in a lot of thier beers their APA is kind of a dull affair. If you want something really unoffensive this might fit the bill. Otherwise if you like a hoppy american APA with some character look somewhere else I would say. (1,145 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

More mellow in terms of hop aroma and bitterness than many other Stone offerings this beer is still tasty with balanced flavor. Color is a nice pale amber and this beer is incredibly drinkable and refreshing while still staying in the West Coast pale ale vein.

As usual Stone uses quality ingredients in terms of both malt and hops to make one of their most balanced beers. While Stone IPA is distributed across the country Stone Pale Ale continues to have more of a niche following which is fine by me. (505 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +4.6%

This pale ale poured a light copper hue, with just the slightest trace of haze and a very thin head that is gone after one sip. Smells of hop resin, and pale malt. Taste is awesome. Balanced, crisp, simple. This is the kind of beer I want to drink with lunch, or with dinner in front of the TV. Session beer with good flavor. I don't feel the need to look for complex flavors, although they might be there. Carbonation is right on. Really a shame about the lack of head. (470 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -1%

Poured fairly dark considering it is a pale ale. Nice deep amber color. Minimal lace.

Smell - Surprised to find this stone brew actually had some malt in it. Nice bready smells balance nicely with the hops.

Taste. Balanced, Hops and Malt, that being said the taste of the malt in this beer is not quite as nice as other pales I have had.

Mouthfeel- medium bodied but didnt feel especially creamy or anything.

Overall - good but I dont think it compares to Sierra Nevada in this category. Fairly drinkable though. (516 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -18.9%

Bought a six pack after the storm clean up, pours a dark copper/ amber / borwn color with a 2 inch head that settle down to about a 1/2 inch.

A it appears very nice with the color and the small retaining head.

S It has a very light hoppy smell not as strong as other pale ale's.

T taste is a light hop and citrus taste with a mild little bite to it.

M Mild carbonation and goes down smooth with no bad after taste that I have incured with others.

O Overall it is a good beer that I can drink again but there are others out there that are better I think. (558 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +4.9%

My favorite APA, my standby fall back Ale. Great balanced copper colored Pale Ale. This brew pours great with good head retention very drinkable with sweet caramel malts, followed up with a healthy dose of hops and a semi-dry clean finish. Just a great Standard that I use to measure other APA's and always seem to grab for a Stone Pale Ale over most of the other (some times bigger & more flavorful) beers in the fridge. (421 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +23.3%

I picked up a bottle of this beer in a build your own six pack set up a few weeks ago. My father had always told me Stone made some of the best beers he had ever tasted so I decided to take his advice and try Stone Pale Ale.

It was a very rich and rewarding beer to drink so a couple nights ago I picked up a six pack of Stone Pale Ale. If you haven't had this beer before. Try it. You won't regret it.

The look of the beer is similar to many pale ales although it is a bit darker than what most people would consider a "pale ale." This is probably because of the complexity of the hops in the beer. This complexity pays heavy dividends for the ale. The taste was complex, yet not too complex, and the mouthfeel was also satisfying in a slightly refreshing but also slightly spicy way.

The best part of this beer, in my opinion, was the smell. The hard work that the people at Stone brewing company put into this beer's creation is most evident in the complexity of the smell of this ale from when it is freshly poured till the final sip. (1,042 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +6.6%

A- It's a somewhat hazy amber color. The head was off white and about one finger before dissipating. There wasn't much lacing.

S- When I first opened the bottle I noticed mostly hops, but when I smelled it a second time I picked up a stronger malt balance than expected. The hops are still there but it's fairly balanced.

T- The malts are sweet and present from the beginning, more so than from my past experiences with Stone. The hops provide mostly bitterness and are a bit piny. I didn't pick up any citrus, which I normally associate with pale ales from the West Coast.

M- Somewhat oily and smooth.

D- This is a well balanced brew. Stone has a reputation for massively hopping their beers but this was less hoppy than expected. The sweet malts provided a strong base and the hops were pleasantly bitter. I would have liked a little more hoppiness, but this is an extremely drinkable beer, one that I would gladly session. (930 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -11.8%

I just joined BA and this is my first review so if you have any hints on how to express myself better please let me know.

The beer pours out nicely with a two finger head. It has an orangey/red tint to it that I find very appealing in a good pale ale. The smells are great, but the taste I find to be a little normal. I am by no means a hop-head, but I defiantly expected and wanted a hopper taste to it.
It has a very easy drinkability to it but I have to say that when I am looking for another Pale Ale I will probably skip this one and go for something with a little more flavor to it. (591 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +18.9%

a- really dark amber orange, golden in the reflection. long lasting slighty off white head that last through out the drink. gets kinda small at the end but that doesn't really matter.

s-sweet butter with citrus. really nice. maybe a very very light brown sugar smell.

t-mmmm good. probably my 2nd fav. pale ale. goes down very good nice hop bitterness to top off the peak of the malt sweetness which is fantastic. some what bready but this beer is really really balanced, most balanced pale ale around.

m-slight cream very hearty yet goes done really smooth. (561 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +1%

Pours an dark orange color with a medium sized white head and above avearge lacing. Smell is heavy grapefruit citrus and biscuit. Taste is not very complex but pleasent with malt sweetness and fruitiness, backed by a grapefruit bitternss. Mouthfeel is medium with good drinkability. (282 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a pleasing pale copper, almost what you'd expect from an amber ale. Thin one finger white head that quickly disappears with a fair amount of lacing left behind. Smells of sweet and toasted malts with a bit of citrusy hops trying to come through.

A pleasant sweet, roasted malt taste races across the palate followed quickly by a nice balancing of hops finishing with a slightly bitter hoppiness left in mouth. A very balanced beer, the malt lingers while the hops take over, never losing either flavor. A medium body matched with a fair amount of carbonation make this a very good beer, and is one of my favorite to introduce people to craft beer with. (660 characters)

Stone Pale Ale from Stone Brewing Co.