Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" - Stone Brewing Co.

Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime"Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime"

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: chugalug06 on 11-13-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - black with a half of an inch of soft, foamy, brownish head that has decent retention

S - spicy with notes from Belgian yeast which are mostly peppery, some dark malts

T - some roasted malts, chocolate, peppery, spicy, faint dark fruit, some Belgian yeast, some herbal notes, mildly bitter finish

M - medium bodied, crisp, a tad overcarbonated

This is a decent beer. The flavor is centered around the spicy notes imparted by the yeast. The overall flavor is good but the crispness of the carbonation interferes with the palate making it hard to really enjoy all of the subtleties. This was nice to try once, but this isn't a beer I'll be buying again.

2.5/5  rDev -28.6%

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

3.48/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

P: Dark brown mahogany tinted cola appearance. A dainty layer of tan bubbly fast scattering head that recedes to a coral reef swirl on top.

S: Sweet hard candy and black malt. Smoked grains, burnt molasses, figs, hazelnut coffee, powdery earthy yeast pine and floral hops. Once warmed the aroma becomes similar to a grease trap at a fast food joint.

T/M: A cornucopia of earthy yeast, pine and floral hops flood the palate. A sensation of dust in my mouth. Lurking in the background rounding out the dryness are alcohol soaked figs, smoked grains and molasses with a bitter bite of coffee. The smoke really encompasses the back of the throat and surrounds the flavors slowly building it's intensity to a profile similar to burnt marshmallows. Aggressive carbonation in a medium body. Finish is dry and smoky with subtle tart apple peel. The pine/floral hops are almost too much for this beer.

O: I love collaborations and this was a success in my book. Although not a terrific creation of the style. The smoke was delicate but intensified to really pull it all together. An interesting beer to say the least.

4.5/5  rDev +28.6%

3.81/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

On tap at Birch.

A - Dark brown color, nice bubblt head.

S - Aroma of figs, pine, flowers.

T - Sour, slight bitter, very subtle roast. Very mild at first. But gets better as it warms--bitterness increases for the better and less light cream.

M - Huge mouth, creamy.

O - Very different for the style. Easy drinker. Perhaps too light. Not bad but it doesn't blow me away.

3.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Bottle opened on 1.9.13.

A - Pours a dark brown with amber hilights, a one inch light tan head, fizzy, and fades slowly.

S - Hoppy grass, then roasted malts, slight coffee.

T - Hoppy grass and dull coffee, slight bitter finish.

D - Good carbonation with a light body.

O - Mild and weak, some hops, some coffee, nothing special.

3.43/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4

This is a beer that took me completely by surprise. It is very much uncharacteristic of what I’ve come to expect from saison style beers.
Pours very dark with a think head that dissipates moderately and smells strongly of coffee and roasted grains.
From the appearance of the pour I was expecting a thick creamy outmeal-stoutish mouth feel. This beer, however, is rather light and thin. Very smooth on the palate and is lightly carbonated.
This beers tastes very good, but I repeat myself by stating that it’s unlike any other saison I’ve had before. No detection of spice at all. Balanced, almost unnoticeable hop presence. Tastes of roasted grains with a sweet dry finish.
While it is certainly black, and I can taste the smokiness, I would mistaking have thought this to be a porter.

4.29/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This is a collaboration beer with quite a pedigree—Evil Twin, Stillwater and Stone? Sign me up!
But a smoked saison?

This pours a porter roasty. It’s dark black-brown in color with a tight cap of cocoa-colored foam. The aroma is slightly smokey, like a smoked … orange? That’s the best I can come up with—if you’re a BBQ enthusiast stick an orange in your smoker and see how close it smells to this. The smoke profile is the most apparent aspect to this brew. Like smoked notes with a mild hop undertone to it. It’s an interesting aroma and an interesting flavor. Tastewise it has an upfront bitterness with the hoppy floral characteristics buried under the smoke profile. Finishes dry with a bit of pine on it. It’s not like any smoked or dark saison I’ve ever tried before. As I enjoyed this I kept thinking this was more akin to a smoked porter, as it came across more like a hoppy cousin to Stone’s own Smoked Porter. The funky, floral saison notes never emerged, at least not enough for it to speak to the style. In fact, stylistically speaking, it’s a muddled mess—but that’s no reason why I can’t enjoy it for being what it is. The finish is bitter and smokey. As it warms & opens it has a nice piney-resiny finish to it. Really tasty sipper!

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.33/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Ah, the perfect crime. I remember it well... ...Wait! No, forget I said anything! Anyway, this stuff pours a deep garnet-brown topped by a finger of dusty tan foam. The nose comprises light hickory smoke, light soy sauce, mild Belgian yeast, light ruby red grapefruit peeking out from the background, and a few pinches of black pepper. The taste brings in more of the same, with the now-even-lighter smoke duking it out with the yeasty spices and the rindy grapefruit, culminating in a slightly muddled and definitely noisy flavor-din. It almost works, but ultimately falls quite short. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a fluid feel. Overall, though smoked beers are usually my bag, this one just didn't do it for me. The flavors never meshed well at all, and the smoke seems almost like an afterthought in the "Oops, this black saison isn't quite there, so let's add some smoke to try to cover things up" kind of way.

3.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured into my snifter it comes out with a similar color to root beer. Not a whole lot of foam and was not being gentle. Straight pour into the glass and not tipping the glass. I must say I am surprised. Not a whole lot of lacing but overall its dark and looks good. In the smell it smells good. To compare to other black saisons, it does not have the same scent. Maybe its too fresh but compared to pepe nero it lacks that saison like scents. There is a bit of a belgian yeast character that stands out. Where is the smoke? Well its in the flavor. Its not strong but its there. In regards to saison flavors, they are there but the tartness or dank flavors you may get in a traditional one are really not there. Its not bad. There is not a roasty character for the black malts that is nice and not over bearing. The smoke actually lingers in the back. Nothing extrordinary but its good. I like it but I like the other saison in the Collaboration series better. The hops, as advertised are hard to find in the flavor. There is an earthyness in the taste. Perhaps that is it but for someone that really enjoys beer its hard to find. The mouthfeel is average. Its a saison. But one thing is for sure, its not bad its just not doing it for me. I rarely give an average score for beer. I normally really enjoy beer and can find some positive traits. I am not sure where these guys were going with this. Is it bad? Heck no. Its a really good beer. I must admit I am being critical based on the hype, the names on the bottle and the fact that I have really liked the collaboration series. For transparency I am really not into smoked beers but this is a very mild smoked beer and if I was someone who was wanting to enter this category of beer this is a good start. I would totally say get this beer. For a smoked beer lover, this will be a let down. For a saison fan, give it a shot. Its good but there are better ones out there (if you are a beer nerd like me).

3.24/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a tulip glass jet black with a nice looking large fluffy tannish colored head that stuck like glue leaving multiple globs of lace as it settled slowly.Aromas were dry and very earthy...almost dirty,light spiced phenols and mild smoke rounded out the nose.The palate was dry as well with earthy notes and phenols mainly,the earthiness was to big for my lining,the smoke comes into play more in the aftertaste.Not overly impressed with this offering sad to say.

3.41/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle to my Sierra Nevada balloon glass

A: Pours a thin dark almond brown color that settles to more of a dark cola body in the glass. Dark khaki head is formatted with some larger bubbles that struggle to retain only to finally subside out to a crown. Some thin sticky ribbons of lace here and there but otherwise rather clean on the glass.

S: Smells a bit tangy with some Saison yeast character. I am getting those signature spices paired with some smoky meats. Clove, star anise, and bubblegum. Kind of subtle aromas overall. Interesting mix too.

T: Tastes like spiced ham. Has a subtle meat smoke flavor throughout with infusions of clove, peppercorn, and more star anise. A sort of weird mix of licorice and garden herbs with hints of charcoal from the black malts. Little sharp tang and burnt ashy aftertaste too. There is a rather low perceived bitterness to the beer and the alcohol is definitely well hidden. Unique brew but not quite working for me.

M: The mouth feel is thin and a mostly watery. There is a high level of spritzy carbonation that helps the texture but this is still pretty wet and rather light in body.

D: Not a terrible beer and the balancing subtle approach of flavors is it’s saving grace. I can almost see myself getting into the direction of this style blender with the spicy meat combination but in the end this one just does not work for me.

At least I can now say I have tried a smoked black saison so I have got that going for me.

Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" from Stone Brewing Co.