Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" - Stone Brewing Co.

Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime"Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime"

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: chugalug06 on 11-13-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" Alström Bros
2.93/5  rDev -16.3%

Usually the Stone collaborations sell out really quickly. I just happened to get lucky that they had a bottle of this on the shelf at my local store.

The nose on this beer provides a little sour note as well as a light coffee touch. I also pick up a decent amount of malt there.

The flavor is really unbalanced. I don't know what to pick up. This beer is really all over the place. I am really not happy with what is in that glass.

ummswimmin, Dec 02, 2012

Chugs13, Dec 02, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

GRG1313, Dec 01, 2012

smithj4, Dec 01, 2012

I don't understand the reviews for this beer. These guys killed it. It has everything. Smokey, hoppy, bitter with a dry saison finish. I never thought a beer could have all my favorite flavor profiles in one. It's ridiculously easy drinking and reasonably priced. The best Stone collab I've had.

There's a little acrid bitterness that I find in any dark hoppy beers. Nothing overtly offensive. I don't get any sourness. Yeast flavor profile reminds me of 3711. Lots of pithy bitterness from the hops. I wish it was a little lower in alcohol and came in 6-packs so I can session dis bish.

BearsOnAcid, Dec 01, 2012
3.05/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Great Divide Yeti tulip. Let sit for about 15 minutes at room temperature before reviewing.

A: Well, they got the dark color down. Pours smoothly with a little bit of an eggshell head. Can't say it's necessarily a remarkable look, but it works.

S: Consider me confused. I'm picking up some meaty smokiness, the Belgian yeast, and oddly, something that reminds me of a corn tortilla. I'm going to chalk that up to a stretch, but I swear I got it. There is some chocolate in there if I really search for it.

T: Further confused. I get the whole range of flavors, from the sweetness of the Belgian to the roasty flavors of the smoked malt. I can't say I like the diversity all in one sip though.

M: A bit thin, but properly carbonated. Just average here...not much to note.

O: After reading the reviews, I had low expectations. I wouldn't say this is the worst beer I've ever had by any means, but I can see why many people were let down. I will continue to be a fanboy for Stone regardless, but this is one of the worst beers I've had with their name on it and it doesn't make me want to try anything from Stillwater.

Andrew61923, Dec 01, 2012

robotfoot, Nov 30, 2012

brentusaurus, Nov 30, 2012
2.45/5  rDev -30%

[Poured into a Tulip glass]

I: I had no idea of this beers existence until I passed by it at the store and figured, what the hell as it was pretty cheap. Stone's collaborations don't have the best reputation, but I do admire the sometimes radical directions these brews go in. These are like experimental beers. As for myself, they've been hit or miss. Let's see if,"The Perfect Crime" can impress.

B:[6.8% ABV 12 Fl. Oz. Bottled 2012 ] These collab brew bottles have always been subdued, but at the same time on the loud end in terms of presentation. Can't say I'm attracted to this particular bottle, but its littered with information like breweries involved, crazy bold title, abv, volume, back story(or should I story?)/brief description, age recommendation, etc. Whether I like the beer or not, I don't think I'll be shelving this one.

A: Pitch black body with a nice big semi mocha head(moderate/slow dissipation), and thin to no lacing.

S: Barnyard funk, fig, some roasted malt, peppery, and Belgian yeast. It kind of burns my nose.

T: Roasted malt, molasses, lemon citrus, tart, and late entry hops(presence comes and goes). There's this really weird background flavor that I can't put my finger on(it's not pleasant). Yeah this beer is imbalanced. Flavors come and go.

M: slight slick/wet finish, medium bodied, medium carbonation, and no apparent alcohol.

O: ugh... I hate to put down a beer, but this wasn't a pleasant experience at all. The biggest problem is that it's imbalanced and some of the flavors are kind of gross. Yes there are hints that this is a black Saison, but not throughout. I feel like they just threw in ingredients without much thought.Perhaps it's called,"The Perfect Crime" because people will buy anything with Stone name. I can't recommend this.

MEsoJD, Nov 30, 2012
3.28/5  rDev -6.3%

Bottle into tulip
A – Fine 3 finger light tan head, very good retention with decent coarse lacing settled to a lumpy pillow, near black brew. Good looking brew 4
S – Saison/farmhouse character & yeast, roast malty sweetness, with pepper/spice notes 3
T – Lots to figure out here, peppery, roasted malts with a mild smoke/spice character, a mild sweetness and rind bitterness, not very comparable to a standard saison, a very unique style and flavor profile, notes of unsweetened chocolate, drawn-out after taste 3.5
M – Light to moderate body, easy drinking, thinner than preferred 3
O – A curious beer that is a unique blend of saison lightness and some clumsy darkness, I liked the flavors but did not sincerely enjoy them 3

rsdaugherty, Nov 30, 2012

SocalKicks, Nov 30, 2012
2.4/5  rDev -31.4%

Nearly black with some dark chocolate hues when held to the light. Toasted marshmallow colored head, forms 2 fingers with forever retention. Clumpy lacing on the glass.

Bright and citrusy with some Belgian spice notes of clove, lemon peel, rosemary and powder. Can't smell any malt or hop character, unexpected since this such a dark beer. Close your eyes and it's just another an ordinary saison.

Belgian spices in the forefront with clove, lemon pith and coriander. Thin malt on the palate with perhaps some wheat and hints of roasted malt. Really deteriorates on the finish with lemon juice, ashy, chocolate and burnt malt finish. Acidic and some soured milk, pretty bad.

For something so carbonated it's flat. Has the texture of juice or tap water, thin as well. Doesn't do anything to complement the spice taste or cover the abv.

It may be a Perfect Crime but it's still a crime that this beer was brewed. It comes off as an unpleasant sour. Not really much of a roasted malt or a smoked flavor in this beer. Kudos for being bold and creative and all but it's pretty putrid. Disappointed, the first bad Stone collab I've had.

rawfish, Nov 30, 2012

Poured from tap into tulip at freshcraft in lodo. Pours a deep brown black with ruby hue and about 4 fingers of head. The aroma is fantastic banana hefe...but its n ot a hefe. Some malty roasted notes and some smokyness but banana dominate. Its smells great but not like a saison....hmmm
Taste is nice smoky banana and very floral hops. Some smoke and malts also present.
Its dry...now I know its a saison. Its very dry...nice.
Its a great brew..very Belgian and not American saison.
Im not sure why there are so manh sub par reviews but this is nice, unique, and worthy of a try. I love the huge euro influence in this brew.
Have one....

DrinkSlurm, Nov 30, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

jdougherty, Nov 29, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -8.6%

Received as an extra in a trade. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Poured a nice deep dark clear brown though when filled i na glass its too dark to see through, with a good one finger light tan/subtle mocha head that faded to a light, thin blanket with a nice foamy halo. Some light side lacing as well.

S - Some light smoke, very light, hints of roasted malts, some barnyard funk. Some light alcohol as well.

T - Flavors dont quite jive, but, alright. So you have the smoked malt thing going on here, light smoke up front that clashes with belgian yeasts. Peppery, funky saison belgian yeasts. And then some random pine hop bitterness thrown in at the end.

M - Mouthfeel isnt bad, decent carbonation for a saison. Should be higher up (number wise) but the clashing flavors makes this sit a bit odd.

O - Overall, this is one heck of a clashing beer. Smoked malts and belgian yeasts werent really meant to go together, not like this atleast. Unfortunate.

rudzud, Nov 29, 2012
1.85/5  rDev -47.1%

First had: firkin at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Honestly, I would not have thought this was a saison if I didn't look it up. I can identify styles with the best of them, but at the time, I couldn't really tell what this one was, and kind of just passed it off as a weak porter.

Dark brown pour, opaque, or at least so it seemed in the light of the bar, a few stray bubbles on top, but otherwise no head. This beer had been sitting for a while, because it wasn't one degree below room temperature. I know that's the point of a cask, but it wasn't working in this case. I tried and tried to get an aroma from this, to the point of nearly dipping my schnoz in the beer, but it just wasn't happening. Nothing! I've had beers with bad aromas, weak aromas, muted aromas, but I really got zero in the nose with this. Taste-wise, I believe I literally said "bleh" when I sipped it. Bland dark malts, soy sauce, burnt cardboard, with a blast of earthy hops in the finish. And all this at puke warm temperature with little to no carbonation...it just didn't work. Light-medium body, and really just unpalatable. Three good breweries making one bad beer. I guess the "perfect crime" was putting this on the market.

Rifugium, Nov 29, 2012
3.5/5  rDev 0%

hickmancase, Nov 29, 2012

ambruns1979, Nov 29, 2012
3.1/5  rDev -11.4%

This. Is gross. Really. What the hell is this? When I first took a sniff of this, I wondered what precisely it was reminding me of. I can't pinpont it, but it's somewhere in the ballpark of turpentine. The beer tastes saison-esqe. I can certainly grab the basic elements of what I should be tasting. But the smoked tones with this odd yeast thing going on just do not work at all. As it warms a bit, it gets more tolerable. But there is just something here that is lacking. And that's putting it nicely. For the price, this beer should be at least good. Considering the three breweries that are involved, it should really be well above average.

RblWthACoz, Nov 29, 2012
3.43/5  rDev -2%

Pours very dark brown. Medium to small beige head. Decent lacing. And lo, I've written another appearance rating. Aroma is a bit odd. There are notes of meaty smoke, toasty, bready malt, saison earthiness and citric/grassy hops, and it doesn't really come together. It's not bad, just kinda disjointed. The primary note is that doughy caramel malt flavor, which throws things a bit too far toward sweet territory. The taste is also sweeter than I'd like. There's some vaguely coffee-ish bitterness in the finish, but it's not enough. Again, the flavors just don't really work together. It's mostly the smoke and earthy yeast. They just don't quite work on top of the sweetness. That said, I don't hate it or anything. It's just a pleasant, mildly smokey sort of nondescript beer. There's a little dark malt/smoke twang to it, a little roast and a bunch of caramel. Feel is creamy and a little thicker than I'd prefer. This is a nice and interesting take on the style, but I'm not blown away. It's probably too sweet. The sweet caramel muddies the other flavors, but it's hard to tell if those other flavors are really worth accentuating. These Stone collabs are fun, usually interesting and often disappointing.

popery, Nov 28, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -4.3%

12oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a deep black color with a creamy beige head. The head initially stands at an inch an a half in height, but settles shortly into a half inch cap. Lacing is thin and web-like.

S: Spicy and perfumey Belgian yeast. Cinnamon, pepper, subtle hints of clove. Bread crust, black cocoa powder, charcoal and soot. Very slight whiff of smoked malts.

T: Soot and charcoal malt tastes are cut by a strong hit of clove. Pepper and spicy Belgian yeast tastes are quickly followed by a touch of acrid smoked malts. Light fruitiness. Slight oily hop presence in the background. Finishes with clove, smoke, and fleeting oily hops.

M: On the lighter side of medium bodied. Airy, fluffy, and creamy in the mouth. Moderate carbonation.

O: The combination of flavors at play just don't work. Smoked malts and Belgian yeast don't really seem to jive. The phenol tastes are sharp and pronounced too, and it starts to wear on the palate.

ryan1788a5, Nov 28, 2012

GOGRANDE, Nov 28, 2012
3.48/5  rDev -0.6%

The "Perfect Crime" poured into a tulip glass.

We've got some great sticky lacing here from a two-inch head that is receding slowly, but keeping a solid half-inch layer. The beer is almost black with some red hues from light passing through. Second black saison this month, and this one's smoked. Can't wait to get my nose into it.

Alright now... this is strange. I pick up lemon pith and farmhouse yeast, but it's a little maltier than any other saison. There's a slight burning wood aroma that can be attributed to the presence of smoked malts. Nuances of tart red fruits, but otherwise pretty flat in the nose. Any complexities that may be there seem overpowered by the barely-there whiff of smoke.

Interesting flavors of mellowed farmhouse ale with lemon, grapefruit pith, and pine hop flavors and attenuated malts with some roasty notes. The smokiness is very light--appealingly so. However, besides the pronounced hop notes, the flavor is a bit attenuated. It's unique, but not extreme, and "extreme" was what I was looking for--in the awesome way, of course.

The mouthfeel is pretty tip-top, as it reminds me of the feel of many of Stillwater's saisons. Velvety smooth with some accompanying carbonation that accentuates a humble afterburn from the alcohol.

Somewhat disappointing in that the base beer wasn't quality enough to support the extra hop additions. In fact, the hops may have drowned out the smoky flavors, as well. Still worth a try.

thecheapies, Nov 28, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

ELECTRONICAnonymous, Nov 28, 2012
3.88/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a dark brown color with a small/medium, off-white head. Scent is smokey and meaty. Smells like smoked meat with a bit of saison spice. Some grassy hop aromas. Taste is just like it smells, but with more depth. This beer starts of with the smoke and rich flavors. Slowly blends into spicy, saison-like flavors. Not funky at all, which unfortunately takes away from my favorite aspect of a good saison. For what this beer lacks in funk, it makes up for in smokey goodness. Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied and refreshing...probably the most refreshing smoked beer I've had. Guess that's the saison side of it. Drinkability is fairly high. Overall, this beer sure is strange. It definitely doesn't play by the rules. I wouldn't say it's a good saison/farmhouse ale. But I'd for sure call it a good smoked beer.

DovaliHops, Nov 27, 2012
Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" from Stone Brewing Co.