Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" - Stone Brewing Co.

Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime"Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime"

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: chugalug06 on 11-13-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" Alström Bros
3.03/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. Stone Collaboration bottle into a large wine glass. This, The Perfect Crime, pours like no Saison I've seen before. Deep brownish black with ruby highlights and a steady cap of deep tan foam.

The aroma was interesting, particularly given the darkness of the pour. Perhaps there is a chance for this....perhaps... or perhaps not. Not..

Flavor is muddled and without nuance as for a Saison. And while this was expected given the color, it still is what it is. I think Black Saison's, like Black IPA's might well benefit from a jump off a cliff.

A decent brew, style aside. And the color here is subtle as in that it's just color as opposed to flavor. Hmmmm.

3.33/5  rDev -4.9%

12 oz bottle, allowed to warm just slightly before being poured into my NEBCO tulip.

The Perfect Crime pours not quite solid black, with some ruby highlights. The dark khaki foam rises up and spills out of the glass a little bit, but eventually settles at two fingers in height. Head retention is decent, and more of the glass is left covered in lacing than not. The nose is alright, but there's not much of anything to suggest that the beer's a saison. There's some dark, roasty aromas, along with smoke that's definitely secondary in nature, but still present. The flavor has a bit more "saison" to it. The coffee like roasted malts lead things off, but they aren't too intense or overwhelming. A spicy yeast character that's very subtle comes in next, bridging the beer to a soft, smoky there's still not enough in the way of an ester and/or phenol profile from the yeast, but at least there actually is some here. The mouthfeel is just a miss from the style. It's noticeably too heavy body-wise, and the carbonation just doesn't have much life to it. I think there's a great beer in this idea, and some aspects of it are already dialed in (particularly the subtle smoke presence). However, this has to be one of the more disappointing Stone collaborations I've had.

3.85/5  rDev +10%

On-tap at Mugs Alehouse, Brooklyn, NY

A: The beer is jet black in color. It poured with a finger high off white head that died down, leaving lacing on the surface and a coating of bubbles down the sides of the glass.
S: There are aromas of Belgian yeast and dark roasted malts in the nose. Some notes of smoke become evident as the beer warms up.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and has a little less flavors of roasted malts but added flavors of smoke. There are also some hints of oak.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. The finish is dry and a little chalky.
O: This is a nice black saison that is easy to drink and has some nice roasted flavors; the smoke definitely makes this beer unique. It is very flavorful given its light body.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

3.2/5  rDev -8.6%

Deep black with reddish edges and an off-white head. Saison aroma of apple skins, pepper, sauerkraut. Sweet and tangy mustard. Tastes of apple skins, sauerkraut, tangy with spicy mustard powder. Almost no smoke, thin beer. Light body with light carbonation. A Perfect Crime against the public at $7.99 for a 12 oz. bottle. It's allright but not worth the money.

2.93/5  rDev -16.3%

Usually the Stone collaborations sell out really quickly. I just happened to get lucky that they had a bottle of this on the shelf at my local store.

The nose on this beer provides a little sour note as well as a light coffee touch. I also pick up a decent amount of malt there.

The flavor is really unbalanced. I don't know what to pick up. This beer is really all over the place. I am really not happy with what is in that glass.

3.25/5  rDev -7.1%

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

I don't understand the reviews for this beer. These guys killed it. It has everything. Smokey, hoppy, bitter with a dry saison finish. I never thought a beer could have all my favorite flavor profiles in one. It's ridiculously easy drinking and reasonably priced. The best Stone collab I've had.

There's a little acrid bitterness that I find in any dark hoppy beers. Nothing overtly offensive. I don't get any sourness. Yeast flavor profile reminds me of 3711. Lots of pithy bitterness from the hops. I wish it was a little lower in alcohol and came in 6-packs so I can session dis bish.

3.05/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Great Divide Yeti tulip. Let sit for about 15 minutes at room temperature before reviewing.

A: Well, they got the dark color down. Pours smoothly with a little bit of an eggshell head. Can't say it's necessarily a remarkable look, but it works.

S: Consider me confused. I'm picking up some meaty smokiness, the Belgian yeast, and oddly, something that reminds me of a corn tortilla. I'm going to chalk that up to a stretch, but I swear I got it. There is some chocolate in there if I really search for it.

T: Further confused. I get the whole range of flavors, from the sweetness of the Belgian to the roasty flavors of the smoked malt. I can't say I like the diversity all in one sip though.

M: A bit thin, but properly carbonated. Just average here...not much to note.

O: After reading the reviews, I had low expectations. I wouldn't say this is the worst beer I've ever had by any means, but I can see why many people were let down. I will continue to be a fanboy for Stone regardless, but this is one of the worst beers I've had with their name on it and it doesn't make me want to try anything from Stillwater.

2.45/5  rDev -30%

[Poured into a Tulip glass]

I: I had no idea of this beers existence until I passed by it at the store and figured, what the hell as it was pretty cheap. Stone's collaborations don't have the best reputation, but I do admire the sometimes radical directions these brews go in. These are like experimental beers. As for myself, they've been hit or miss. Let's see if,"The Perfect Crime" can impress.

B:[6.8% ABV 12 Fl. Oz. Bottled 2012 ] These collab brew bottles have always been subdued, but at the same time on the loud end in terms of presentation. Can't say I'm attracted to this particular bottle, but its littered with information like breweries involved, crazy bold title, abv, volume, back story(or should I story?)/brief description, age recommendation, etc. Whether I like the beer or not, I don't think I'll be shelving this one.

A: Pitch black body with a nice big semi mocha head(moderate/slow dissipation), and thin to no lacing.

S: Barnyard funk, fig, some roasted malt, peppery, and Belgian yeast. It kind of burns my nose.

T: Roasted malt, molasses, lemon citrus, tart, and late entry hops(presence comes and goes). There's this really weird background flavor that I can't put my finger on(it's not pleasant). Yeah this beer is imbalanced. Flavors come and go.

M: slight slick/wet finish, medium bodied, medium carbonation, and no apparent alcohol.

O: ugh... I hate to put down a beer, but this wasn't a pleasant experience at all. The biggest problem is that it's imbalanced and some of the flavors are kind of gross. Yes there are hints that this is a black Saison, but not throughout. I feel like they just threw in ingredients without much thought.Perhaps it's called,"The Perfect Crime" because people will buy anything with Stone name. I can't recommend this.

3.28/5  rDev -6.3%

Bottle into tulip
A – Fine 3 finger light tan head, very good retention with decent coarse lacing settled to a lumpy pillow, near black brew. Good looking brew 4
S – Saison/farmhouse character & yeast, roast malty sweetness, with pepper/spice notes 3
T – Lots to figure out here, peppery, roasted malts with a mild smoke/spice character, a mild sweetness and rind bitterness, not very comparable to a standard saison, a very unique style and flavor profile, notes of unsweetened chocolate, drawn-out after taste 3.5
M – Light to moderate body, easy drinking, thinner than preferred 3
O – A curious beer that is a unique blend of saison lightness and some clumsy darkness, I liked the flavors but did not sincerely enjoy them 3

2.4/5  rDev -31.4%

Nearly black with some dark chocolate hues when held to the light. Toasted marshmallow colored head, forms 2 fingers with forever retention. Clumpy lacing on the glass.

Bright and citrusy with some Belgian spice notes of clove, lemon peel, rosemary and powder. Can't smell any malt or hop character, unexpected since this such a dark beer. Close your eyes and it's just another an ordinary saison.

Belgian spices in the forefront with clove, lemon pith and coriander. Thin malt on the palate with perhaps some wheat and hints of roasted malt. Really deteriorates on the finish with lemon juice, ashy, chocolate and burnt malt finish. Acidic and some soured milk, pretty bad.

For something so carbonated it's flat. Has the texture of juice or tap water, thin as well. Doesn't do anything to complement the spice taste or cover the abv.

It may be a Perfect Crime but it's still a crime that this beer was brewed. It comes off as an unpleasant sour. Not really much of a roasted malt or a smoked flavor in this beer. Kudos for being bold and creative and all but it's pretty putrid. Disappointed, the first bad Stone collab I've had.

Poured from tap into tulip at freshcraft in lodo. Pours a deep brown black with ruby hue and about 4 fingers of head. The aroma is fantastic banana hefe...but its n ot a hefe. Some malty roasted notes and some smokyness but banana dominate. Its smells great but not like a saison....hmmm
Taste is nice smoky banana and very floral hops. Some smoke and malts also present.
Its dry...now I know its a saison. Its very dry...nice.
Its a great brew..very Belgian and not American saison.
Im not sure why there are so manh sub par reviews but this is nice, unique, and worthy of a try. I love the huge euro influence in this brew.
Have one....

2.75/5  rDev -21.4%

3.2/5  rDev -8.6%

Received as an extra in a trade. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Poured a nice deep dark clear brown though when filled i na glass its too dark to see through, with a good one finger light tan/subtle mocha head that faded to a light, thin blanket with a nice foamy halo. Some light side lacing as well.

S - Some light smoke, very light, hints of roasted malts, some barnyard funk. Some light alcohol as well.

T - Flavors dont quite jive, but, alright. So you have the smoked malt thing going on here, light smoke up front that clashes with belgian yeasts. Peppery, funky saison belgian yeasts. And then some random pine hop bitterness thrown in at the end.

M - Mouthfeel isnt bad, decent carbonation for a saison. Should be higher up (number wise) but the clashing flavors makes this sit a bit odd.

O - Overall, this is one heck of a clashing beer. Smoked malts and belgian yeasts werent really meant to go together, not like this atleast. Unfortunate.

1.85/5  rDev -47.1%

First had: firkin at Capone's, Norristown, PA

Honestly, I would not have thought this was a saison if I didn't look it up. I can identify styles with the best of them, but at the time, I couldn't really tell what this one was, and kind of just passed it off as a weak porter.

Dark brown pour, opaque, or at least so it seemed in the light of the bar, a few stray bubbles on top, but otherwise no head. This beer had been sitting for a while, because it wasn't one degree below room temperature. I know that's the point of a cask, but it wasn't working in this case. I tried and tried to get an aroma from this, to the point of nearly dipping my schnoz in the beer, but it just wasn't happening. Nothing! I've had beers with bad aromas, weak aromas, muted aromas, but I really got zero in the nose with this. Taste-wise, I believe I literally said "bleh" when I sipped it. Bland dark malts, soy sauce, burnt cardboard, with a blast of earthy hops in the finish. And all this at puke warm temperature with little to no carbonation...it just didn't work. Light-medium body, and really just unpalatable. Three good breweries making one bad beer. I guess the "perfect crime" was putting this on the market.

3.5/5  rDev 0%

3.75/5  rDev +7.1%

Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" from Stone Brewing Co.