Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" - Stone Brewing Co.

Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime"Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime"

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: chugalug06 on 11-13-2012

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" Alström Bros

Usually the Stone collaborations sell out really quickly. I just happened to get lucky that they had a bottle of this on the shelf at my local store.

The nose on this beer provides a little sour note as well as a light coffee touch. I also pick up a decent amount of malt there.

The flavor is really unbalanced. I don't know what to pick up. This beer is really all over the place. I am really not happy with what is in that glass.

3.03/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. Stone Collaboration bottle into a large wine glass. This, The Perfect Crime, pours like no Saison I've seen before. Deep brownish black with ruby highlights and a steady cap of deep tan foam.

The aroma was interesting, particularly given the darkness of the pour. Perhaps there is a chance for this....perhaps... or perhaps not. Not..

Flavor is muddled and without nuance as for a Saison. And while this was expected given the color, it still is what it is. I think Black Saison's, like Black IPA's might well benefit from a jump off a cliff.

A decent brew, style aside. And the color here is subtle as in that it's just color as opposed to flavor. Hmmmm.

3.06/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Great Divide Yeti tulip. Let sit for about 15 minutes at room temperature before reviewing.

A: Well, they got the dark color down. Pours smoothly with a little bit of an eggshell head. Can't say it's necessarily a remarkable look, but it works.

S: Consider me confused. I'm picking up some meaty smokiness, the Belgian yeast, and oddly, something that reminds me of a corn tortilla. I'm going to chalk that up to a stretch, but I swear I got it. There is some chocolate in there if I really search for it.

T: Further confused. I get the whole range of flavors, from the sweetness of the Belgian to the roasty flavors of the smoked malt. I can't say I like the diversity all in one sip though.

M: A bit thin, but properly carbonated. Just average here...not much to note.

O: After reading the reviews, I had low expectations. I wouldn't say this is the worst beer I've ever had by any means, but I can see why many people were let down. I will continue to be a fanboy for Stone regardless, but this is one of the worst beers I've had with their name on it and it doesn't make me want to try anything from Stillwater.

3.07/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The Perfect Crime is a darker mahogany color. It’s dark, but not opaque. Backlighting reveals quite a few burgundy highlights throughout. It’s topped with a soft, tan head. It’s modest, rising to less than a finger in height. It’s rather quick to dissipate. Lacing was a little sticky, but definitely on the lighter side. Looks alright.

The nose is very weak and disappointing. It’s not very aromatic at all. It needs a big boost of strength in a bad way. There are some light spicy and earthy notes. Belgian yeast is noted. It brings a little clove and pepper to the mix. It is a bit earthy and grassy throughout. There might be some noble hops here. Tough to say. I’m not getting anything to suggest it’s smoky. Alcohol isn’t all that strong. There’s a little here, but not much. Needs work.

The flavor is a bit better. It starts out with a mix of earthy and grassy flavors. They resonate throughout. Noble hops are almost certainly responsible for the grassy flavor. There are some dark malty notes. Tastes mostly like bittersweet dark chocolate. No sweetness at all. Belgian yeast is noted and adds some pepper and clove flavors. I like that. There’s a very light charred or smoky flavor, but it’s extremely subtle. I was expecting much more in that department. Alcohol isn’t much of a factor. Finishes earthy, grassy, and very dry.

The Perfect Crime has a light-medium body. Carbonation is active, but doesn’t feel buzzy. Honestly, it feels too thin. Definitely too thin to be smooth. I guess it goes down alright. It’d go down even better if I liked it more.

The Perfect Crime is hardly perfect. It’s not even close. The nose is weak and needs a lot of work. The flavor seems a little jumbled and lacks focus. It’s not a terrible beer by any means, but it’s not very good either. It’s worth a try.

3.09/5  rDev -11.7%

A: Black body, with a thick tan foamy head. Very good lacing. It looks beautiful.

S: It has a very dank smelling scent to it. There's some of that catty smell to it, as well as a stale scent to it like old rope or something. The scent punches out in one direction though, and doesn't have a great deal of complexity.

T: Lots of heavy flavors come out immediately. I mean it really kicks me in the mouth. There's a ton of roasted bitterness, there's a pine tree resin character, some mint, and that catty character as well. There's a lot going on, but it seems like too much. The more I drink it, the more it does grow on me. One thing is for certain...I can't ever call this beer boring.

M: The mouthfeel is big and bold. It has a huge body, lots of carbonation, lots of roasted and hop bitterness, and it seems to bite back at the palate. I felt that it was too aggressive and is effectively a palate wrecker.

O: Overall it wasn't a beer for me. I wouldn't buy it again. It was an interesting beer, but I am glad it is only a 12oz bottle. I applaud it for being such a bold beer, but it really didn't have much Saison character and it was too heavy to be refreshing. Looking at it from outside the box, there was still too much going on in the beer to make it enjoyable.

3.1/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

$4.99/12oz. Poured into a chalice. Bottle on 10/16/12.

Even if smokey beers are a turn-off for you (as they can be for me) don’t let this beer’s description drive you away. The smokiness is faint in all areas. Somewhat reminiscent of the Stone/Victory/DFH Saison Buff collaboration in both aroma and taste. Not a true saison though, so to what style do you grade, a Belgian Specialty?

A – Pours a black opaque with a half-finger of light brown/tan head, which quickly dissipates. Average lacing. Head easily recovered with a good swirl.

S – Standard farmyard yeasty aroma but with more of a wheat and even an adjunct component. Some faint peppery spiciness.

T – Smoke is faint, slight creaminess, bitter in the end with a bit of lemon in the finish.

MF – Can I say smokiness in the mouth feel as well, acrid, dry finish. Well carbonated.

3.11/5  rDev -11.1%

This. Is gross. Really. What the hell is this? When I first took a sniff of this, I wondered what precisely it was reminding me of. I can't pinpont it, but it's somewhere in the ballpark of turpentine. The beer tastes saison-esqe. I can certainly grab the basic elements of what I should be tasting. But the smoked tones with this odd yeast thing going on just do not work at all. As it warms a bit, it gets more tolerable. But there is just something here that is lacking. And that's putting it nicely. For the price, this beer should be at least good. Considering the three breweries that are involved, it should really be well above average.

12 oz.

Pours black with a brownish tint around the edges. Creamy head retains as a film.

Smells of bretty yeast, some piney hops and mildly toasty bready malts.

Tastes of pine hops and mildly citrusy grassy malts.

Medium body with tingly carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

An interesting take on a saison. The bottle says its supposed to be a smoked saison, but there's none of that in the flavor. It's just much more hoppy than a saison would normally be. Aside from that, it's pretty good, but it's not really what you look for in a saison.

3.14/5  rDev -10.3%

On tap at Cottonwood in Houston, TX

A: Pours a dark black color with some ruby around the edges. A two finger beige head forms, and gently recedes. Light lace is left behind.
S: Very neutral in the nose. Some toasted malts, dry bitter chocolate. Really not much else.
T: Well, like the nose there is not much here. Nothing really to make out other than some toasted malt, cereal grains, burnt toast, and bitter chocolate in the finish.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Fairly crisp, dry, and smooth. Not hard t drink. Though not something I particularly enjoy. I can't see myself coming back to this.

Just blah. I have never been a huge fan of Stone. Though their beers are always packed with something, whether or not I like that is another story. An uncharacteristically...uncharacteristic offering. And what the hell is a "Black Saison" anyway.

Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" from Stone Brewing Co.