Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" - Stone Brewing Co.

Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime"Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime"

good

pDev: 14%
Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: chugalug06 on 11-13-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" Alström Bros
Ratings: 638 | Reviews: 184
2.97/5  rDev -15.1%

12 ounce bottle poured into a La Chouffe tulip. Just a few shades shy of black with a head that's disappointing in terms of volume, but is tightly formed and leaves a fair amount of lacing up top.

The nose on this is like Exhibit A of why I haven't been a huge fan of the black saisons I've run into so far. It's pleasant enough but roast and light chocolate notes blunt any notions of the typical saison stuff. Dark fruit, mild spicing, bready. I dunno, pleasant but not what I'm expecting. It has to warm up plenty before the smoky notes begin to amount to much

The smoky flavor is more pronounced, and there's a sharp roast bite to this stuff. Oddly it's kinda thickish and creamy. It's yeasty, but without the crisp and bright spicy/fruity/lively goodness you want in a saison. A rare dud from Escondido.

2.99/5  rDev -14.6%

Bottle to oversized wine glass

A: dark brown with hints of red to it but its also pretty close to black as it is completely opaque. There is a dark tan head that dissipates and leaves a ring around the top of the glass.

S: There is a little but of that hopped farmhouse smell but its not really there and there are hints at best of the smokiness though the malt is very present and unfortunately so is the alc.

T: As with the nose there is that saison hop taste but it is very mild and the smoke is there (once the beer warms up) but it is definitely in the background it seems balanced to me but not necessarily in a good way as it is just bland.

M: The mouth feel is oily and fairly smooth which is what makes this beer more drinkable and is probably the best part in my opinion and its nothing to write home about.

O: Well I was expecting a lot more from the three breweries involved, but evil twin is kinda hit or miss for me. Anyways it was just pretty bland no powerful taste or smell a decent mouthfeel and look but it definitely doesn't do much for me, but it also wasn't horrible.

2.99/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Dark mahogany color in the Saxo tall tulip with a modest foam. Average carbonation. Very thin body but a decent sudsiness. I would call this a black Cascadian IPA, but then it is flushed with a whole lot of the Belgian dry yeastiness. A hint of apples and burnt oatmeal.

This stuff is quite sharp and bitter. Not hardly like a Saison, even stretching the style, but I'll rate it as such. Seems like the collaboration yields Stillwater's excess of the dry yeast flavors, along with Stone's prediliction for turning everything into an IPA, plus Evil Twin's murky silliness. Seems like a perfect crime to me.

Sourish aftertaste is even less appealing after all the harsh bitterness. And then it dries out from there and leaves a film on the teeth and the sensation of cardboard. From the 12 oz bottle bought at Grapevine Liquors in Denver.

look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Found this at Bottleworks, bottled 26OCT12

Black with a light tan etch across the surface. Smells of earth, yeast, clay, some light smoke, some cocoa, and a touch of tobacco. Flavor is light, some oaky mesquite character earthy yeast and a little bit of alcohol and some bitterness. Medium body with light carb and a semi dry finish. Not really into it.

2.99/5  rDev -14.6%

A: Not too shabby. Pours a very dark brown. Could go even darker for the style, but we won't get picky here. Has a decent head, but it dissipated quickly.

S: There are better sassions out there in this department. It has a definite note of that tart/citrus-y/methanol-y scent I come to attribute with the style, but there is also a weakness in this area. it smells unfinished.

T: Not bad, but nothing really exciting with this ale. Certainly not worth the price. It does have a lingering smoky flavor, so I give it points for that, but not much else. All in all this is Stone's most mediocre collaboration offering. Sure it looks good, has a great name, and a cool label...but sadly I'm not six and I need something more than that at my age.

M: It is strong and medium in weight to the tongue. I think it fits the style pretty well here in this catagory. Carbonation could have been taken down a scosh.

O: I just can't get on board here. Sorry, Stone. I love most of your brew, but this one just fell short. I love the collaboration series. I think the very idea behind it deserves recognition...but either do more tweaking before a release or stick to a style you are all more comfortable with.

2.99/5  rDev -14.6%

Served in a tulip glass.

Appearance: Body is thin you can tell from the pour coming off a solid black with an orange tint to the body. Rising high is the head maybe just a notch above a finger's length.

Smell: A citrus skin no doubt about it. Freaking light as the air you breathe, comes in and out just as quick.

Taste: iwill tell you this, it is sour, not crazy over whelming sour but you feel the lemon zest to this brew. Light bitterness to it and also cant forget to mention just a little peppery.

Mouth: Like I mentioned above a light peppery finish with a medium body, not too bad.

Overall: i give it this, that this brew comes off complex but other than it needs to taste and feel good to be a member of the elite. Sure there are guys that like "something different" but this beer needs beyond tweaking and should be either left in the store or just laid to rest. Salud!

Color- thick espresso. Full coffee foam head.

Aroma- hoppy and spiced with hint of roastiness.

Taste- An odd bird of a brew. Starts smokey with active carbonation, slightly bitter and roasty, finishing with a lingering rich roast and hops. Described as a black smoked saison. A Stone collaboration.

Poured from 650 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted 7/7/2013

Usually the Stone collaborations sell out really quickly. I just happened to get lucky that they had a bottle of this on the shelf at my local store.

The nose on this beer provides a little sour note as well as a light coffee touch. I also pick up a decent amount of malt there.

The flavor is really unbalanced. I don't know what to pick up. This beer is really all over the place. I am really not happy with what is in that glass.

3.03/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. Stone Collaboration bottle into a large wine glass. This, The Perfect Crime, pours like no Saison I've seen before. Deep brownish black with ruby highlights and a steady cap of deep tan foam.

The aroma was interesting, particularly given the darkness of the pour. Perhaps there is a chance for this....perhaps... or perhaps not. Not..

Flavor is muddled and without nuance as for a Saison. And while this was expected given the color, it still is what it is. I think Black Saison's, like Black IPA's might well benefit from a jump off a cliff.

A decent brew, style aside. And the color here is subtle as in that it's just color as opposed to flavor. Hmmmm.

3.06/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Great Divide Yeti tulip. Let sit for about 15 minutes at room temperature before reviewing.

A: Well, they got the dark color down. Pours smoothly with a little bit of an eggshell head. Can't say it's necessarily a remarkable look, but it works.

S: Consider me confused. I'm picking up some meaty smokiness, the Belgian yeast, and oddly, something that reminds me of a corn tortilla. I'm going to chalk that up to a stretch, but I swear I got it. There is some chocolate in there if I really search for it.

T: Further confused. I get the whole range of flavors, from the sweetness of the Belgian to the roasty flavors of the smoked malt. I can't say I like the diversity all in one sip though.

M: A bit thin, but properly carbonated. Just average here...not much to note.

O: After reading the reviews, I had low expectations. I wouldn't say this is the worst beer I've ever had by any means, but I can see why many people were let down. I will continue to be a fanboy for Stone regardless, but this is one of the worst beers I've had with their name on it and it doesn't make me want to try anything from Stillwater.

3.07/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The Perfect Crime is a darker mahogany color. It’s dark, but not opaque. Backlighting reveals quite a few burgundy highlights throughout. It’s topped with a soft, tan head. It’s modest, rising to less than a finger in height. It’s rather quick to dissipate. Lacing was a little sticky, but definitely on the lighter side. Looks alright.

The nose is very weak and disappointing. It’s not very aromatic at all. It needs a big boost of strength in a bad way. There are some light spicy and earthy notes. Belgian yeast is noted. It brings a little clove and pepper to the mix. It is a bit earthy and grassy throughout. There might be some noble hops here. Tough to say. I’m not getting anything to suggest it’s smoky. Alcohol isn’t all that strong. There’s a little here, but not much. Needs work.

The flavor is a bit better. It starts out with a mix of earthy and grassy flavors. They resonate throughout. Noble hops are almost certainly responsible for the grassy flavor. There are some dark malty notes. Tastes mostly like bittersweet dark chocolate. No sweetness at all. Belgian yeast is noted and adds some pepper and clove flavors. I like that. There’s a very light charred or smoky flavor, but it’s extremely subtle. I was expecting much more in that department. Alcohol isn’t much of a factor. Finishes earthy, grassy, and very dry.

The Perfect Crime has a light-medium body. Carbonation is active, but doesn’t feel buzzy. Honestly, it feels too thin. Definitely too thin to be smooth. I guess it goes down alright. It’d go down even better if I liked it more.

The Perfect Crime is hardly perfect. It’s not even close. The nose is weak and needs a lot of work. The flavor seems a little jumbled and lacks focus. It’s not a terrible beer by any means, but it’s not very good either. It’s worth a try.

3.09/5  rDev -11.7%

A: Black body, with a thick tan foamy head. Very good lacing. It looks beautiful.

S: It has a very dank smelling scent to it. There's some of that catty smell to it, as well as a stale scent to it like old rope or something. The scent punches out in one direction though, and doesn't have a great deal of complexity.

T: Lots of heavy flavors come out immediately. I mean it really kicks me in the mouth. There's a ton of roasted bitterness, there's a pine tree resin character, some mint, and that catty character as well. There's a lot going on, but it seems like too much. The more I drink it, the more it does grow on me. One thing is for certain...I can't ever call this beer boring.

M: The mouthfeel is big and bold. It has a huge body, lots of carbonation, lots of roasted and hop bitterness, and it seems to bite back at the palate. I felt that it was too aggressive and is effectively a palate wrecker.

O: Overall it wasn't a beer for me. I wouldn't buy it again. It was an interesting beer, but I am glad it is only a 12oz bottle. I applaud it for being such a bold beer, but it really didn't have much Saison character and it was too heavy to be refreshing. Looking at it from outside the box, there was still too much going on in the beer to make it enjoyable.

3.1/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

$4.99/12oz. Poured into a chalice. Bottle on 10/16/12.

Even if smokey beers are a turn-off for you (as they can be for me) don’t let this beer’s description drive you away. The smokiness is faint in all areas. Somewhat reminiscent of the Stone/Victory/DFH Saison Buff collaboration in both aroma and taste. Not a true saison though, so to what style do you grade, a Belgian Specialty?

A – Pours a black opaque with a half-finger of light brown/tan head, which quickly dissipates. Average lacing. Head easily recovered with a good swirl.

S – Standard farmyard yeasty aroma but with more of a wheat and even an adjunct component. Some faint peppery spiciness.

T – Smoke is faint, slight creaminess, bitter in the end with a bit of lemon in the finish.

MF – Can I say smokiness in the mouth feel as well, acrid, dry finish. Well carbonated.

3.11/5  rDev -11.1%

This. Is gross. Really. What the hell is this? When I first took a sniff of this, I wondered what precisely it was reminding me of. I can't pinpont it, but it's somewhere in the ballpark of turpentine. The beer tastes saison-esqe. I can certainly grab the basic elements of what I should be tasting. But the smoked tones with this odd yeast thing going on just do not work at all. As it warms a bit, it gets more tolerable. But there is just something here that is lacking. And that's putting it nicely. For the price, this beer should be at least good. Considering the three breweries that are involved, it should really be well above average.

3.12/5  rDev -10.9%

12 oz.

Pours black with a brownish tint around the edges. Creamy head retains as a film.

Smells of bretty yeast, some piney hops and mildly toasty bready malts.

Tastes of pine hops and mildly citrusy grassy malts.

Medium body with tingly carbonation on the roof of the mouth.

An interesting take on a saison. The bottle says its supposed to be a smoked saison, but there's none of that in the flavor. It's just much more hoppy than a saison would normally be. Aside from that, it's pretty good, but it's not really what you look for in a saison.

On tap at Cottonwood in Houston, TX

A: Pours a dark black color with some ruby around the edges. A two finger beige head forms, and gently recedes. Light lace is left behind.
S: Very neutral in the nose. Some toasted malts, dry bitter chocolate. Really not much else.
T: Well, like the nose there is not much here. Nothing really to make out other than some toasted malt, cereal grains, burnt toast, and bitter chocolate in the finish.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Fairly crisp, dry, and smooth. Not hard t drink. Though not something I particularly enjoy. I can't see myself coming back to this.

Just blah. I have never been a huge fan of Stone. Though their beers are always packed with something, whether or not I like that is another story. An uncharacteristically...uncharacteristic offering. And what the hell is a "Black Saison" anyway.

3.14/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Pours a deep rich brown, but settles in to the glass almost black. Head is a very light tan, bubbly, and rocky. Drops to a spotty, slightly chunky cap with a loose collar. Some splotches of lacing. Moderate carbonation on the pour.

Smell: Heavy banana. Ripe fruit and a touch of candy. Lingering spiciness pushes clove and a touch of pepper. Faint, very faint, smoked malt running through the back. Sweet with a solid splash of wheat. Apple skin and a touch of citrus. Mild hop influence. Some grassy, slightly musty undertones. A touch medicinal. Dried cherries.

Taste: Grain. Smoked, cracked wheat. Some pepper and clove spice. Banana takes a back seat, thankfully. Citrus and herbal hop notes run through the back. Slightly smoky. Some dark, dried cherry. Raw grain and grass. Some musty backnotes. Slightly roasted. Soft yeast. Some dark sugars, pushing into almost burnt territory. Same medicinal hint from the nose builds a bit as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel: Suprisingly dry. Almost crisp, with a lingering smooth feel. Moderate carbonation. Slightly creamy medium body.

Overall: You forgot to account for one important detail!

More Beligan than anything else. Missed the saison feel for me. Smoke was minimal, but ended up being a nice touch overall. Not the best collab, but it has potential with a real farmhouse yeast.

3.14/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served chilled into a fluted tulip.

Pours a nice sable brown with quarter inch tan, airy head that quickly recedes leaving moderate surface layer and lacing.

Aromas of that musty peppery funk common to the style with a hint of smoke.

Flavors, this is where it falls apart! The flavors follow through from the aromas but they compete with each other to much and nothing really shines through.

Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a slightly sweet but crisp finish. Fair amount of carbonation and mild aftertaste.

Looks good, smells good, taste is a disappointment. A subpar offering from two otherwise excellent breweries.

3.16/5  rDev -9.7%

12oz bottle, poured into a chalice, the ale is near black with a bubbly tan head, decent retention and some spotty lace. Aromas are spicy, fruity Belgian yeast, ashy smoke, faint anise. Odd flavors, burnt sugar, spice, pungent orange peel, smoke, balsamic vinegar. Mouth-feel is on the thinner side of medium, nice carbonation. Overall, I wasn't crazy over this one. The balsamic vinegar taste was unappealing, and the flavors had a hard time melding on the palate for me.

3.18/5  rDev -9.1%

12oz brown bottle with a freshness date.

LOOK: Complete darkness, tight tiny bubble lacing, good stickage

SMELL: Chalky, gummy, carob, dried grass, subtle smoke, dried dark fruit, mild esters, slightly medicinal, spicy

TASTE: Smooth, roasty, bity yeast character, a little creamy, molasses taffy, medicinal herbs, balanced hoppiness, vague smoke, hint of black berries, cocoa nibs, mildly warming alcohol

Was hoping for a bit more crispness or snap, smoke is pretty hard to find and so is the "Saison" traits ... somewhat Belgian-y and that is about it. Missing the point of this beer, at the bottom of all of the Stone collab brews. Nothing bad, just does nothing for me.

3.18/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Dark brown and opaque. Brown head about one finger that slowly died in a minute. Some lacing

S: Subtle sweetness that isn't distinct. Saison spiciness. Subtle roast.

T: Low citrus hops up front with some sweetness. Light saison spice. Nice roast all the way through.. Slight bitter end with a light smoke coming through. Finishes out pretty dry.

M: Light body. Medium-high carbonation.

O: Was worth the try but would not buy again. They accomplished brewing a black saison but just not a style I like.

3.2/5  rDev -8.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass

Pours a very dark brown capped with a two finger foamy off white head, some wispy lacing. On the nose hints of smoke and farmhouse yeast. Opens with grassy hops, joined by musty farmhouse yeast and a hint of smoked wood. Finishes with continued yeasty notes and some mild hop bitterness and slight pear skin-tinged fruit notes. Fairly light-bodied and slick, moderately carbonated. Overall, nothing outstanding, but a solid brew. Considering this is a collaboration which as a whole tend to disappoint, that's saying a lot.

3.2/5  rDev -8.6%

This poured out as a deep brown color with a very minimal head on top. The retention and lacing were gone before I took a first sip. The smell of the beer has some light fruity aromas with a touch of roasted malt and bread. The taste was yeasty, more bread a touch of roasted malt and some fresh grapes in the mix. The finish had a decent bitterness to it. The mouthfeel was a little on the thin side, not overly exciting. Overall this beer was nice too try but a little bit of a disappointment in my opinion. I feel it just lacks some qualities that this style of beer should have. Perhaps it would be better from a bottle.

3.23/5  rDev -7.7%

12oz. Rusty black pour, not much light gets through. Half finger of frothy off white head. Laces a little bit.

Aroma, earthy malt, quite a bit of sage. Some yeast.

Taste, Herbal and piney hop like notes, a faint citrus. Lots of sage. The bitter is kind of in competition with the light malt and work I the yeast and it dominates them. Little bit if cardboard? A faint smokey roast as well, very faint.

Not quite medium body, good carbonation. Drink easy enough. Just a bit too bitter to me, did not come together for me.

3.23/5  rDev -7.7%

From 99 Bottles.
Appearance: Dark brown to black. Decent off white head.
Smell: Bitter slight smoky notes. Burnt woodsy smell.
Taste: Seems like a decent saison underneath the bitter smokiness. The two dont go together to me. The idea is interesting at least.
Mouthfeel: Not bad, full bodied. Moderately carbonated.
Overall: Just not for me. I love saisons and was intrigued by the idea but it just doesn't work to me.

Evil Twin / Stillwater / Stone - "The Perfect Crime" from Stone Brewing Co.