1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic AleStone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HalfFull on 12-05-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros

ebrifan, Jul 06, 2013
3.81/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Stone's 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale a few months ago for $7.99 at The Lager Mill. I've never had any beers from this series and since this is the last one in the series I thought I should give it a try, I'm not really sure what to expect with this beer. but since it's from Stone I'm going to assume it will be flavorful, so lets see how it goes. 2012 Vintage, released for 12/12/12. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is pretty simple, but it had a nice clean look to it and I like the description of the beer and the series. It poured a very dark brown color that was bordering on being black and it hardly let any light come through with two fingers worth of dark tan head that was almost brown and died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, the color, head and lacing were all very nice.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of spices, all the spices in the description stick out, but it's the cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg that seem to stick out the most and they make for a pretty spicy aroma. Up next comes some roasted malts that impart some sweet and light dark chocolate aromas along with a slight bit of coffee that go nicely with the spices but they could be a little more balanced since the spices seems to dominate this beer. Towards the end I get a nice Belgian yeast aroma. This beer had a good aroma, the spices were a little dominating but the end result was an aroma that was very similar to a ginger bread cookie and I enjoyed that.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by lots of spices, the cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg still stick out the most and are still a little too dominating. Up next comes a lighter amount of roasted malts that have a lighter amount of bitter chocolate flavors with a little more roasted malts towards the end. Up next comes some Belgian yeast that adds a little bit of complexity to this beer. On the finish there's a medium amount of sweetness with a just a little more sweetness with an aftertaste that is dominated by the spices with just a slight bit of roast. This is a good tasting beer, but I wish it had better balance, the spices are a little too dominant and it would be nice if the malts showed up a little more.

M- Smooth, a little dry on the finish, slightly sticky, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly higher amount of medium carbonation that was slightly prickly. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer, but I think the carbonation could be toned down just a little.

Overall I thought this was nice beer, It isn't the best example of a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, but it could very easily be called a Winter Warmer and it would be pretty dead on for the style, it's all about how you view this beer and I view it as being much more like a Winter Warmer. This beer had decent drinkability, the alcohol was well hidden, it was fairly smooth, not filling, and the flavors did a decent job at my holding my attention, but I think a bomber is enough for me, more than that and I think the spices would start to wear on me. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma and appearance, they were both pretty good and I really liked how close to a ginger bread cookie that the aroma was. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, the roasted malts needed to show up a little more since the spices were just so dominant. I would buy this beer again, I'm pretty sure they won't make it again, so I don't think I'll have the chance to buy a bottle, but I think they should make it again since it's a great winter brew and I would like to have a bottle of this around Christmas time, it was worth the price and I would recommend this to anyone who likes winter warmers or heavily spiced beers. All in All I liked this beer and I thought it was pretty solid, the ginger bread aspect was pretty nice, but i felt like it needed more balance, it would be nice if the roasted malts shined through a little more then they did. Good job guys, I can't say how this does against the other vertical epic beers since I haven't had them, but I enjoyed this one and appreciate it's uniqueness, keep up the good works guys and keep blurring the line between styles.

StoutHunter, Jul 06, 2013

PGVG, Jul 06, 2013

eph1291, Jul 05, 2013

A: pours pretty much black with a finger of dense mocha colored head that leaves some lacing and fades to a small mat
S: smells of spices and yeast with a bit of sweetness
T: tastes of spices, a bit of chocolate, more spices, a slight sweetness and a hint of dark fruits. swallow brings a bit of roasty character, and more spice
M: soft and slightly prickly carb with a medium-heavy mouthfeel and a slightly drying finish
O: Pretty interesting beer. the spices are a bit heavy but it's not excessive or really off putting. They could stand to be dialed back a bit more to play more of a supporting role but other than that it's still a solid beer

SHODriver, Jul 05, 2013

bobv, Jul 04, 2013
1.25/5  rDev -67.9%

dmsohyea, Jul 04, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

A- This edition of Vertical Epic pours dark black-brown with a fluffy tan head. The head goes the distance, for sure- displaying exquisite lacing!

S- The nose is crazy. Nutmeg, licorice, clove, allspice, and sugar cookies take center stage- almost drowning out the mellow cream and chocolate. This almost smells like egg nog. Weird.

T- Damn good. Roasted malts, molasses. up front; give way to caramel, nutmeg, cinnamon, sweet bread, and brown sugar. Hops add a scarce piney note in the finish that's easily overwhelmed by the other Christmas flavors. Nutmeg, and soft brown sugar linger on the palate. Somehow, though, Stone manages to keep this brew from being overly sweet. It is phenomenally balanced! Now, I'm tasting cream soda? Every sip unravels another layer. to say this beer is complex is an understatement. This beer is knocking my socks off!

M- The mouthfeel is the best part. This beer's nose and taste sound thick and syrupy. On the contrary, this concoction is light to medium weight, with subdued carbonation. This beer is actually very easy to drink!

Overall, this beer is awesome. I bought two bottles. I want to drink two bottles. But, my logical mind is telling me to age one of these. Stone claims that this is a "Belgian style abbey-ish beer". Personally, I'd call it a Belgian Style Stouty Brown Ale. Semantics aside, Stone Brewing knocked this one OUT OF THE PARK! If you are fortunate enough to see one of these bottles somewhere: BUY IT!

brewcifix, Jul 03, 2013

SBoyar1, Jul 02, 2013

DSkilling, Jun 30, 2013
3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Started our Vertical Epic tour counting down from 12.

Dark brown pour with a dark tan head. Foam holds up well on a humid summer night. Aroma is a dense melange of herbal, floral, menthol cigarettes and molasses. Tastes like citrusy mint in a hot, roasty background. Dark, hot and messy. Bold. What it lacks in coherence it more than makes up for in flavor.

donkeyrunner, Jun 30, 2013

Altenor, Jun 28, 2013
4.34/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: It has a nice jet black color to it. It has a nice tan head that dies down moderately and leaves some nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of cinamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, molasses, dark fruit, sweet caramelly malts and some breadiness.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has all the christmas spices (cinamon, nutmeg, cloves, allspices) with sweet molasses, dark fruit and sweet roasty and caramelly malts.

Mouthfeel: It has a low/medium carbonation with a very nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with great flavors and aromas.

SebD, Jun 27, 2013

MonkeyBrain, Jun 23, 2013

Geuzedad, Jun 23, 2013

teak, Jun 23, 2013

cfleming, Jun 22, 2013
Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.