Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic AleStone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: HalfFull on 12-05-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 295 | Hads: 1,544
3.63/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at Brouwers on 12/12/12, review from notes.

A: Deep brown color with a small tan head, foamier than most of the VEs that reduces quickly. Thin lacing forms down the sides.

S: A good bit of molasses, some clove and cinnamon along with faint Belgian yeast aromas.

T: Rather heavy on the spices - cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon, sort of a turn off for me. Some darker roasted malt mixed in as well.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: Not really my thing, but I can certainly see why some people might like it. (535 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

22 ounce bottle into tulip glass; obvious November 2012 bottling. Pours pitch black color with a 2 finger dense dark tan head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Nice dense soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of huge dark chocolate, roasted malt, toast, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, clove, dark bread, pepper, floral, orange peel, light char, roasted earth, and yeast spiciness. Fantastic aromas with great balance, complexity, and strength of dark malt, spice, and yeast ester notes. Taste of dark chocolate, roasted malt, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, clove, toast, pepper, dark bread, orange peel, light char, floral, roasted earth, and yeast spiciness. Lingering notes of dark chocolate, roasted malt, toast, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, nutmeg, clove, pepper, dark bread, floral, light char, roasted earth, and yeast spiciness on the finish for a while. Very nice balance, complexity, and robustness of roasted malt and spices flavors; with a great sweetness/spice balance; and zero cloying flavors present after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a very creamy and slick mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a highly excellent spiced Belgian dark ale! Great robustness and balance of dark malt and spice flavors; and very smooth to sip on. A highly enjoyable offering. (1,431 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -19%

Appearance: Inky black color, no light is penetrating this one. Two fingers of tan head that just hangs around and around.

Aroma: Strong spice aroma, reminding me of gingerbread. Lots of clove and allspice.

Taste: Thick, creamy with lots of roasted malt and a ton of spice in the middle, also some hints of cocoa. Goes out with a dry and chalky finish.

The Rest: This strongly resembles an Our Special Ale, only with more body. And in that regard, it's a very good winter warmer/holiday ale. However, a good Belgian SDA this is not. One of my least favorite in the series I would have to say. (595 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -0.8%

Cold 22 served in chalice. Beer pours way dark and could easily be mistaken for a stout. Super fruity (dark) aroma. Between the alcohol and the ripe fruit in the aroma it really smells like Christmas pudding. If the thought of Christmas pudding isn't too close to bad fruit cake in your mind then it's really fanastic.

On the first sip it seems the flavor takes the aroma and adds a healthy dose of chalky bittering hops. Upon further reflection it's more spice than fruit from our pudding. Mouthfeel is more in line with the strong dark ale or dubbel, not the stout conveyed in the color. Prominent flavors are allspice, pepper, and nutmeg. Belgian Winter Warmer, anyone? There's actually some heat to the spices, the way clove has a burning quality when concentrated. Unfortunately, while I could inhale the fumes of this brew until it oxidizes or gets stale, the flavor is somewhat tiring. It's not too sweet, in fact it's on the dry side, but the volume of strong flavors is just turned up too high for more than slowly sipping a bottle down.

I feel like the Vertical Epic series has been hit and miss the past few years. Unfortunately I find I haven't reviewed any of them, though I'm certain haven't missed one since 06. This one will likely prove to be the most memorable. (1,281 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

22oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a pitch black with a solid 1 finger light tan head. After a few minutes the head dissipates to a thin film and ring around the edges. Pretty good lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: A light malt background, yeasts in there too. Spiciness comes through and a noticeable hop backing.

T: Quite a complex beer here. At first I noticed a fairly strong hop, seems to mellow out with some sweet malts. Spiciness comes in at the end with an allspice sort of christmasy feel. This compliments the yeast

M: A very creamy beer with mild carbonation. Very pleasant to sip on. A bit of stickiness at the end. Nice and warming but the booze is well hidden.

Overall one of my favorite vertical epics. Still a few more at the store might grab another to stash. A nice finale to the series. (826 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Tulip.

A. Dark brown. Not murky. just smooth dark. About a 2 cm head, that stays.

S. Spices galore. Cloves, Cinnamon. Slight banana smell.

T. Hot almost. strong spices. Cloves, cinnamon. Very christmasy.

M. Medium- full body. medium carbonation.

O. Pretty good. A nice warmer for a cold night, or a festive event when you want a cookie/christmasy spiced beer. Enjoyable for what it is. (405 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Looks like the blood of a coffee addict. This beer is deep and thick like my friends beard. You would think that a beer of such dark color would have some coffee elements but surprisingly it does not.

However, this is beer has soul. It is smooth from the lips to the gut. Lots of lacing. Smells of spices and cinnamon with some added molasses. I've only had the 12.12. 12 but I'd love to compare it to others if they weren't so Gawd damn expensive.

PS- Stone I love you. (473 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

22 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. Sounds like this is their last version of this Epic series after going for 11 years.

Dark beer with very little head. There is a strong chocolate flavor that tastes natural in this beer. I certainly wouldn't think this beer was 9% alcohol by the taste, but that is probably because of the creamy taste and strong chocolate smell that make this so smooth.

I'm looking forward to the next thing from Stone. (448 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -47.2%

Not a favorite here. I'd heard such great things about others in this series, and love Stone beers. March is definitely not an ideal time of year for this one. The appearance was dark/black, the nose, mostly clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, the taste reminded me of when I ate a tablespoon of nutmeg as a bored teenager. I don't usually like heavy spice beers, and this one says right on the side of the bottle it is an Ale with Spices, so no one to blame but myself here. Overall, just too spiced for me. (497 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle into tulip.
My brother's first child was supposed to be born on 12-12-12 and my brother is a HUGE Stone fan. We promised each other if my nephew was born on 12-12-12 him and I would split a case and share it every Christmas...

Well Liam decided to be born 6 days early. I bought one bottle lol.

Completely opaque. super dark brown/black pour. Three finger soapy, sticky tan head. Loads of sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

Large doses of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, some all spice, peppery spice, dark chocolate and some burnt coffee. Very festive smelling. A nice change for the middle of March.

Burnt coffee, dark chocolate, cinnamon, nutmeg, all spice and a little too much cloves (my holiday pet peeve... but I'll survive) It has a finish of brown sugar and chocolate syrup. Definitely more of a holiday inspired stout than a Belgian Dark Ale.

Medium body, decent carbonation. Sticky on the lips.

I really enjoyed this one, I think the next time I head South I'll be getting another bottle or two to share with my brother. (1,044 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a gorgeous, seemingly black, dark dark brown. No light shining through to speak of, but not completely opaque. A slight hint of a deep, dark mahogany at the very edge of the glass and a very attractive light mocha/tan head (about 1 finger poured moderately). Modest alcohol legs.

Nose: "Christmas Seasonal". The spices are definitely present and playing a major role here. The clove is subtle and the other wintery spices work well together with big leading notes of nutmeg, orange peel and cinnamon. The spices are surrounded by a warm blanket of darker, roasty/chocolatey notes with some deep, robust, oily espresso as well as the estery belgian yeast. The sort of doughy, fuity, zesty, breadiness of a belgian dark is subdued but still present and in balance with the roasty notes.

Taste: A well crafted ale that really fits the season it was released into, although I am drinking this in March. Three months later the flavors are melding together very well. The spices definitely have a starring role here and makes it predictably reminiscent of autumn seasonals/pumpkin beers, but it has a depth of flavor in the malt structure and belgian yeast. The mouthfeel is medium-bodied and wickedly creamy. This sort of creamy roasty quality blends nicely with the belgian dark strong flavor profile. The creaminess helps balance out the spice character but it still finishes delightfully dry.

Overall: A very enjoyable beer and a great way to end the series. Having this now, I would like to try to get my hands on a few more bottles to age for autumns and winters to come. This is possibly my favorite beer I have ever tried with this kind of blend of winter spices. Another big thumbs up for Stone. (1,767 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: pours a black color with a 1" head that slowly falls. Moderate lace paints the glass during the session.

Smell: allspice, pepper, and a malt sweetness is detectable by the nose.

Taste: big malt profile. Loads of spice such as cinnamon, allspice, and pepper. Belgian yeast, a decent bitterness, dark chocolate, and some alcohol rounds it out.

Mouthfeel: heavy in body. Lightly crisp to start, smoother at the finish. Long lasting aftertaste.

Overall: a slow sipping beer that is bold and full of spiciness. Good beer for colder weather. (553 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +14.9%

I guess I'm late to the Vertical Epic party. Stone has only been in our market for a year or two, so I understandably missed the first 10 or so. But hey, this was staring back at me as I perused the shelf, so why not?

Before I review the beer, I want to confess my complete ignorance about it. The bottle said it was spiced, blah, blah, blah... I don't know why, but I just ignored this. To the beer:

Right off the bat, this beer surprised me. I was not expecting a dark-as-night beer with a thick, mocha head. Looks like an amazing stout or porter. The bubbles are tight, and the head sticks around for days. I'm kind of jazzed.

What. The. Heck? This beer smells nothing like I expect. It's kind of yeasty, roasty, and spicy -- like ginger and chocolate. How strange.

But nothing could prepare me for what came next. It tastes like someone took batter for gingerbread, carrot cake and chocolate cake, mixed them together, and baked it to see what emerged. It's genius. The more I drink, the more fascinated I am.

This, of course, has me musing about ginger in beer. This is probably the third beer I have had with a pronounced ginger taste, and I have loved them all, to my utter surprise. You've won this round, Stone (shakes fist)!!!!

I have been sarcastic when reviewing some Stone beers in the past. But let me be clear here: This beer impressed me, and I don't usually care for spiced beers. Great job, Stone. (1,421 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a very dark amber (almost black) in color with some moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some dark brown and garnet red highlights. The beer has a two finger tall dense creamy dark tan (almost mocha) head that slowly reduces to a mottled thick film covering the majority of the surface of the beer, a medium thin patch, and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of spices including clove, nutmeg, anise, and cinnamon along with some light to moderate aromas of roasted malts. Light notes of caramel and molasses sweetness. Light to moderate amounts of alcohol in the finish of the nose.

T: Light to moderate flavors of roasted malts upfront with a strong amount of spices - nutmeg, allspice, licorice/anise, and cinnamon. There are moderate notes of dark chocolate and spicy/clove yeast and just a touch of banana esters. Molasses sweetness and just a touch of citrus/orange hops which contribute some light to moderate amounts of lingering bitterness.

M: Slightly heavier than medium bodied with just a touch more than moderate amounts of carbonation. Light amounts of alcohol warmth in the finish.

O: Way too much spices and alcohol heat for this beer to be an easy drinker or all that enjoyable - one of the better beers in this series but I'm guessing it will get a little better with some age on it. (1,403 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

22oz. bottle poured into a taster. Thanks Chris!

(A)- Pours a near pitch black color. Some minimal tan froth.

(S)- Plenty of licorice bits with a spicy array of nutmeg, juniper berry, and cocoa.

(T)- Similar to the smell only more nutmeg and juniper berry forward. Some raisin and cocoa increases as it warms. Its a spicebox!

(M)- A good carbonation level. Overall, a spicy cornucopia of a beer. Some subtle hints of a richer background, but its just hidden with all the spices.

(O)- Easily the more unique one of the line, but is near the bottom for me despite it being the freshest example. Way too many spices to really enjoy it fully. (643 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +0.5%

B+

22oz into a tulip. Pours a deep slick shiny walnut black, minor dark mocha color head was brief, minor lacing.

Aroma is of intense spicing of allspice, clove, cinnamon and something my grandma hung in her linen closet. The spices mask the base entirely.

Taste too is an explosion of spicing but other flavors come forward as the taste evolves from spicy beginning to a roasty semi sweet nib, a low bitter as if from the imagined dregs of spice production if dregs could be roasted. The initial tastes are off putting but with warmth and patience it vastly improves. Full bodied appropriately lifeless mouthfeel.
cheers
jd (627 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance - very dark pour, I don't see any light getting through. A fat finger of mocha, thick and creamy.

Aroma - the spices jump out of the bottle, allspice and clove leading the charge. Orange pops up as it sits. An undertow of something Belgian, slightly funky.

Taste - roasty, chewy malts. The spices come across like licorice and cola. The belgian yeast has the dry, slightly funky bit after the spice flavors fade. The hops just balance, not much flavor. An occasional metallic not. The finish is dry, roasty, lingering, very pleasant.

Mouthfeel - very smooth brew, the carbonation seem lively at first but quickly tames down. A touch heavy, I like it.

Overall - delicious stuff when fresh, I would guess aging it would lose the spice and bring out more of the yeast and Belgian elements. Great finish to a fun series to collect, share, and sip. (858 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

Bottle shared by Treebs I think? Served in a tulip.

A - Dark brown body, topped by a dark tan foam that settles to wisps and a collar.

S - Rose hips, nutmeg, allspice, some light Belgian yeast, and a light lemon and hand lotion malt backdrop. Not a ton of roast, just a light touch.

T - The taste is similarly heavy on rose hips and nutmeg. Spicy yeast, roasted malts, and dark chocolate unexpectedly show up, as they were largely absent from the aroma. I actually like this better as there is more malt and less spice.

M - Pleasant moderate carbonation, smooth, medium-full body, some light alcohol warmth. Pretty creamy and enjoyable actually.

D - If you dig Christmas beers, then this might be right up your alley. It's not my preferred style, but it's appropriate for 12.12.12 I guess. Might get a bit better as the spices fade a touch and the alcohol dissipates. A surprise hit from a really underwhelming series of beers. (932 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on-tap at Sports Page in Roseville, CA

Appearance - Pours opaque black with a light tan, finger width head. Good retention. Strong lacing with good stick.

Smell - Nutmeg and cinnamon spice. Moderate roast. Gingerbread.

Taste - Follows the nose. strong Christmas spice flavors, nutmeg and cinnamon. Gingerbread. Earthy. Slight bitterness throughout. Bittersweet finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium to full in body with moderate carbonation. Fair smoothness. Finishes dry.

Overall - I suppose it makes sense that a 12.12.12 release would have a Christmas-themed flavor profile, but I'm not a big fan of those flavors being in a beer. Quite comparable to the 2012 Anchor Christmas release. (686 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +8.5%

I can't tell if my scores are all inflated because I'm sad to see this series end or because it's simply an EPIC beer. We'll see.

The appearance is head and shoulders above other beers. I prefer dark and this is dark. I've seen darker, but that's splitting hairs. Up top is why this beer is top notch in the looks dept. The head is thick, retains exceptionally well, is brown and leaves its mark all over the glass in the form of lace. My eyes have not seen better.

I like spicy beer in the winter and this is it. Cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg are the key players and they don't disappoint. If I stick my nose deep, I can pick up a bit of roasty something in the form of bittersweet chocolate.

The spices don't dominate on the palate like they do in the nose. The flavors are more roasty and again, bittersweet chocolate is there. Nutmeg and cloves dance on the tongue but the cinnamon is gone. Smoke.

As the bottle mentions, it's dry. There's a splash of sweet, but it quickly turns smokey and bitter, though never over the top. The dry finish means the bitterness from the chocolate and hops lingers well, well, well into the swallow. In the background, there is some heat from the alcohol. it's full bodied and while not easy to drink, it's exactly what it's supposed to be.

Overall it's a great American version of a Belgian strong dark ale. Lacks the sweetness and smoothness of those from over the sea, but it's very American in its aggressive ways. Wish I'd bought more than one. (1,490 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I had this beer on a sampler flight last night, made some notes (untappd won't work on my phone for some ungodly reason) and am just reflecting on it now.

It poured black and opaque with a thick creamy brown head and fully sticky lacing with no pattern until minutes later!

The aroma smelled like all the components in a ginger bread cookie including a slight yeasty bready aroma mixed with light hops.

I thought the bittering hops were a bit excessive and pronounced through the entire sip and fades a little at the finish. It's actually balanced pretty well considering the amount of holiday spices in there. The bittering hops had a slight soapy taste that I think would age out of there if cellared for a few more months!

It had a full, creamy and smooth mouthfeel with light to moderate carbonation and a smally dry hoppy finish.

I am not a fan of the holiday spices and don't want to let that get in my way. Ultimately I don't know how this fits into the style as listed. It seems like a winter warmer to me. But all in all, I didn't like something about the bittering. It did resemble soap in a way. I have encountered that with some of my homebrews when using American grown coriander. But after aging 4 months, that soapiness went away and the beer quality took off! I would love to get my hands on a couple bottles to age a year! (1,345 characters)

had as part of a big VE tasting at the end of the world party, shared with many friends.

Pours a light fizzy head, almost pitch black color, fluffy lacing.

Nose has earthy malts, root and herbal earthy like, caramel, little brown malt and brown sugar.

Taste has nutty malts, earthy, nutty, herbal malts and hops, hints of cinnamon and nutty spices, creamy brown malts, floral even, hint of booze and esters.

Mouth is med ot fuller bodied, nice carb, light warming booze.

Overall not bad, decent for Belgian strong dark ale, probably would be better aging than most of the other ones that I aged. (600 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Winter spiced beer alert! Had this on tap for the VE tasting (beers 07.07.07-12.12.12) at Pacific Coast Brewing Co. during SF Beer Week. All reviews are from my notes.

Pours a dark, opaque color, much like 09.09.09, except with a little bit more noticeable carbonation and and nice little ring enveloping the top of the glass for the beer's entire consumption. Again, looks a lot like a stout, except with far more bubbles gliding towards the top, and extra thickness that reminds me of various Belgian spiced beers that I had the chance to try during one winter in Europe. Not sure how to rate this to style, but it's definitely a comforting looking beer for sure.

The aroma is filled with all kinds of intense, seasonal spices, ranging from freshly cut ginger, pumpernickel, clove, toasted birch bark, mulled wine spices, and blackcurrant. If a combination of those doesn't sound good to you, steer right away from this... However, for those who do love winter beers, this is a pretty much a match made in heaven. I'm pretty indifferent towards them, but definitely Stone has nailed the style pretty well here. It's still really astringent on the nostrils, often leaving behind a prickly sensation, and the combo of spices do remind me of the holidays - this is especially true as it warms up, as piney and rosemary characteristics reveal itself. But the initial festiveness might be a little too overwhelming for me in the long run.

The best way for me to describe the flavor of this thing is that it reminds me of eating a freshly baked ginger cookie with crushed pepper dunked in molasses. Indeed, there is an enormous molasses backbone going on here, combined with loads of peppermint, baking spice, and pumpkin seed. Molasses and ginger are definitely two flavors I'm pretty hesitant about putting in my beer, and while the other spices and light sweetness from the alcohol do try to settle it, they are very overpowering flavors in their own right and seem to win the battle here. As it warms up, the texture becomes far more astringent, and slightly soapy, creating a difficult drinkable experience for me. Alcohol and yeast are either masked or muted here. Feel is creamy and full bodied, which is good, as any thinness would totally ruin this for me. Quite a daunting task for me to finish even 6oz overall.

Not sure if Stone was trying to make a super festive beer or super challenging festive beer here, but they definitely succeeded at either, depending who you are. However, I did buy a bottle of this when it came out and am glad I didn't open it too soon. This should cellar well for the next holidays, and I will gladly revisit it then. My hope is that the spices will settle down (as will the soapiness) and the yeast will come more towards the front and include more fruity flavors to balance out the spices. Until then! (2,844 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -46.7%

Very dark almost black beer. If I hold it up to the light, I can see a slight brownish red tint. No head, just some momentary fizz.

Strong clove in the aroma. Some sweetness. I'm not picking up much else in the aroma.

Way too heavy on the spice flavors. Tastes like I'm drinking a spice rack. A mouth full of cloves. Nasty.

Medium bodied with a dry bitter finish.

Really not impressed with this beer. I'm glad I didn't cellar it for a long time and finally drink a bottle of cloves after years. Though, maybe the spice character would have faded after a while.... I'll never know. (584 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Reviewed from notes 02/02/2013. The last of the series.

A- Pretty much black, a very dark brown, beer from the bottle into a pint glass. Mocha head about one finger in size with good retention leaving plentiful thick lace.

S- Almost like a roasted pumpkin ale because of the massive allspice influence. Clove and cinnamon add to this feeling. Some dark fruit but mostly spices.

T- Cinnamon is here but this beer is dominated by clove flavor, holy clove. Big allspice, pretty floral spiced, roasted cereal grains with a dark brown ale feel. HOLY CLOVE.

MF- Moderately carbonated body with a foamy and silky feel. Spicy finish for sure.

Seriously a clove bomb, WTF spice annihilation. Did Stone just get sick of this series toward the end? (742 characters)

Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.