Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic AleStone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  9.00% ABV

(Beer added by: HalfFull on 12-05-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros

eawolff99, Mar 16, 2013

510a, Mar 16, 2013
4.48/5  rDev +14.9%

I guess I'm late to the Vertical Epic party. Stone has only been in our market for a year or two, so I understandably missed the first 10 or so. But hey, this was staring back at me as I perused the shelf, so why not?

Before I review the beer, I want to confess my complete ignorance about it. The bottle said it was spiced, blah, blah, blah... I don't know why, but I just ignored this. To the beer:

Right off the bat, this beer surprised me. I was not expecting a dark-as-night beer with a thick, mocha head. Looks like an amazing stout or porter. The bubbles are tight, and the head sticks around for days. I'm kind of jazzed.

What. The. Heck? This beer smells nothing like I expect. It's kind of yeasty, roasty, and spicy -- like ginger and chocolate. How strange.

But nothing could prepare me for what came next. It tastes like someone took batter for gingerbread, carrot cake and chocolate cake, mixed them together, and baked it to see what emerged. It's genius. The more I drink, the more fascinated I am.

This, of course, has me musing about ginger in beer. This is probably the third beer I have had with a pronounced ginger taste, and I have loved them all, to my utter surprise. You've won this round, Stone (shakes fist)!!!!

I have been sarcastic when reviewing some Stone beers in the past. But let me be clear here: This beer impressed me, and I don't usually care for spiced beers. Great job, Stone.

DaveAnderson, Mar 16, 2013

3.5/5  rDev -10.3%

bcostner1, Mar 13, 2013
3.79/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a very dark amber (almost black) in color with some moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some dark brown and garnet red highlights. The beer has a two finger tall dense creamy dark tan (almost mocha) head that slowly reduces to a mottled thick film covering the majority of the surface of the beer, a medium thin patch, and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate to strong aromas of spices including clove, nutmeg, anise, and cinnamon along with some light to moderate aromas of roasted malts. Light notes of caramel and molasses sweetness. Light to moderate amounts of alcohol in the finish of the nose.

T: Light to moderate flavors of roasted malts upfront with a strong amount of spices - nutmeg, allspice, licorice/anise, and cinnamon. There are moderate notes of dark chocolate and spicy/clove yeast and just a touch of banana esters. Molasses sweetness and just a touch of citrus/orange hops which contribute some light to moderate amounts of lingering bitterness.

M: Slightly heavier than medium bodied with just a touch more than moderate amounts of carbonation. Light amounts of alcohol warmth in the finish.

O: Way too much spices and alcohol heat for this beer to be an easy drinker or all that enjoyable - one of the better beers in this series but I'm guessing it will get a little better with some age on it.

dbrauneis, Mar 13, 2013
2.85/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

22oz. bottle poured into a taster. Thanks Chris!

(A)- Pours a near pitch black color. Some minimal tan froth.

(S)- Plenty of licorice bits with a spicy array of nutmeg, juniper berry, and cocoa.

(T)- Similar to the smell only more nutmeg and juniper berry forward. Some raisin and cocoa increases as it warms. Its a spicebox!

(M)- A good carbonation level. Overall, a spicy cornucopia of a beer. Some subtle hints of a richer background, but its just hidden with all the spices.

(O)- Easily the more unique one of the line, but is near the bottom for me despite it being the freshest example. Way too many spices to really enjoy it fully.

sweemzander, Mar 12, 2013

DoubleSimcoe, Mar 10, 2013

kipp, Mar 10, 2013

Anaz, Mar 10, 2013

AnitaBrewski, Mar 10, 2013
Stone 12.12.12 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.