2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,451 | Reviews: 2,704 | Show All Ratings:
PA-hunter

3.99/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured bottle into glass. 6/12/14 Freshness date. 6.9% abv.

Appearance- Pours a bright medium orange amber. Very clear. Fluffy two finger head that hangs around.

Smell- Tropical notes of orange and pineapple. Quite floral as well.

Taste- Pine and grass notes up front blending quickly into a biscuit malt flavor. The earthy hop finish is pronounced. The bitterness lasts awile for a dry hop wrap up.

Mouthfeel- Slick and moderate in body. Not thin. Ample carbonation.

Overall- A basic IPA that is solid. Not out of this world but a fine creation of the style indeed. The quality Stone puts into their beers is a reflection to this flagship IPA of theirs.

04-17-2014 03:42:33 | More by PA-hunter
Ohiolager

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Stone IPA 6 pk bottles $10.99(OH)

12 oz brown painted label bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. Fresh by date printed in yellow just below the neck.

pours a dark gold, light amber color. A three finger thick peach white head that lingers for a while. gives way to impressive spiderweb lacing all over the bulb of the glass.

The aroma is that of an IPA. Nice and strong citrus up front. strong grapefruits, a nice lemon tang, followed by a slight piney smell.

Taste follows the nose. A nice citrus grapefruit taste at first, followed by a big hoppy flavor, finishes with a nice piney surrounding that is slightly bitter.

the mouth feel is rather light for an IPA. I have no complaints though, all the tastes cling to your mouth. A medium body IPA. At the end a piney bitterness lingers.

Overall a great IPA however i have had just as good or better for cheaper. Commodore Perry is still my number one go to IPA. Would I buy this again? Probably not. It's not that this IPA is not good. It's just that it's over priced. Commodore Perry is 7.5% ABV, two bucks cheaper and is just as good if not better.

04-15-2014 06:34:44 | More by Ohiolager
CTbrew32

Connecticut

4.51/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer pours a deep golden amber color with barely a finger of head. The aroma is amazing with a big burst of pine and citrus. This was one of my first ipas ever about a year ago, and it was extremely bitter. After a year of letting ipas wreck my palate this still packs a punch, but it is a much more enjoyable bitterness. Honestly I wish more ipas were still this bitter to me. Besides the bitterness the taste overall is amazing with citrus, bready/caramel malt, and BIG pine which helps amplify the bitterness. Overall, this is a great ipa and one that got me into loving the style. This is the perfect beer for the ipa lover, but if your new to the style the bitterness could be overwhelming.

04-15-2014 01:33:59 | More by CTbrew32
ssteakley

Washington

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Difficult one for me, I have become accustomed to PNW brews and this hangs way over on the citrusy side, from the aroma to the taste I just live n a different part of the world I bought this due to the BA rating so I respect where it comes from but there are just to many better options so I will not return to this one.

04-14-2014 02:35:31 | More by ssteakley
MaineBrewing

Maine

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Decided to do a ruination and stone IPA vertical. I have always had these on separate occasions and failed to really noticed much difference. I was quite wrong.

A - poured a slightly hazy golden orange with one finger frothy head, nice cap of foam remained, and a little lacing.

S - pungent piney nose, bright citrus, almost lemony. Cereal malt notes round it out, slight grain character.

T - hop nose carries over to the taste, very piney resinous and lemony citrus. Very crisp malt character provides a great balance. Finishes with ample hop bitterness, very dry and clean.

M - on the thin side body wise but still has some stickiness, well attenuated and crisp.

O - overall this is a great American IPA, great hop flavor and balance with a nice crisp dry finish. Regarding my verticle with ruination, this doesn't have nearly the hop flavor, or malt sweetness, but provides a little more balance, certainty two very different beers as this is more lighter and crisp.

04-13-2014 23:48:14 | More by MaineBrewing
Robjm1987

Connecticut

Perfect hoppy, mix of pine and lemon. My favorite IPA by far, west coast has it.

SERVING: TAP AND BOTTLE. I prefer tap.
Appearance: Golden with white top
Smell: Piney, strong hoppy.
Taste: Zesty, with lemon plenty of hops.
Mouthfeel: Crisp, refreshing.
Perfect IPA.

04-13-2014 14:15:49 | More by Robjm1987
Paincane

Georgia

A: Golden nicely carbonated with a white head and generous lacing.
S: Citrus and floral nose. Smells clean with pine presence.
T: Lemongrass and piney hop notes among the flavors. Hop forward in every way.
M: Crisp, clean body with a dry hoppy finish.
O: Very nice IPA.

04-10-2014 22:06:51 | More by Paincane
itsscience

4.36/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Cloudy light copper with a finger of soapy head that sticks around. Classic IPA smell: A flowery aroma with some grapefruit, orange, lemon zest, and clean crackery malt. Stone touts on the label, "to say that this gem of an IPA is 'hoppy' would be putting it modestly." Maybe that was true with this beer debuted, but to the modern palate, the hop level here is manageable if not average. That's a good thing for those of us who like balance in a hoppy beer. The taste is crisp and refreshing with a citrusy payload, a neutralizing malt backbone, and an oniony, earthy character that lingers in the background. I think one of the most underrated aspects of drinking beer is the aftertaste you get when you breathe out through your nose after a glass, and Stone IPA is the best beer I know of when it comes to these bonus flavors: it has a nice herbal and flowery aftertaste. Overall it's my favorite of the Stone offerings that I've tried.

04-01-2014 03:58:57 | More by itsscience
Seanem44

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: Light orange with a nice off-white head that dissipates into a nice lacing.

S: Inviting without being overwhelming. A little deceiving.

T: Very tasty. Hops are not overwhelming at all, but still very flavorful. No hint of alcohol.

M: I really like how this feels. Thick, rich and smooth. Doesn't feel watery. Very full and fulfilling feel on the palate.

O: Stone continues to impress me. This is an outstanding and easy to drink IPA. Very similar to the Enjoy By IPA I recently had but lacks the overall freshness, but to be expected. At $9.99 for a six pack in most places, you can't go wrong.

03-30-2014 23:37:59 | More by Seanem44
kcrosson492

4.34/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thus far, one of the best IPA's I have had in a long time. It has a fantastic hoppy flavor that manages to still be smooth. You could easily drink this one over and over while maintaining a full flavor IPA. Good beer for party or casual drinking....

03-29-2014 21:20:54 | More by kcrosson492
davidsumner

This is my favorite IPA and a goto beer for me.

Pour - excellent voluminous, frothy pour; leaving a gorgeous three finger, frothy, sea foam head.

Appearance - Very nice, clear amber. Lacing is outstanding.

Nose - The nose is not powerful, but does bring up a nice light grapefruit/pine/resin scent.

Taste - Yummy. Not thick and or over the top; but rather a perfect balance. Ruby Red grapefruit juice, pine resin, yummy sweet malt.

Finish - perfect. Bitter, long lasting, citrus sour.

This is truly a world class beer.

03-13-2014 19:43:24 | More by davidsumner
brutusmuktuk

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a bottle with a hazy golden yellow color and a decently foamy white head. Has a very nice hoppy floral aroma. Taste is kind of sweet up front, dominated by floral notes with touches of citrus. The finish is a surprising amount of bitterness that lingers a while. The beer has a nice full body feel with some carbonation. This is very refreshing and enjoyable.

03-09-2014 03:18:03 | More by brutusmuktuk
Franziskaner

4.39/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Light amber to brown in color. A minuscule bit of white head partially covers the top of the beer. A bit hazy with Brussels lacing. Incredibly enticing aroma of pine like hops reminiscent of pineapple greets me. The mouth is a little sticky and the bitterness prickles my tongue. When I take a sip I get a short but sharp burst of pine like hops and then some light malt to back it up. I get a nice gentle bitter fade.

03-08-2014 16:19:41 | More by Franziskaner
Beer4B

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A: straight from the bottle yo, my bad.

S: delightfully crisp

T: very smooth and drinkable IPA

M: light and hoppy

O: this was a decent IPA at a great price and availability. I much prefer the Ruination but this is a very good and like-minded substitute for when that is not available.

03-03-2014 16:52:54 | More by Beer4B
THE-DUDE

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very solid IPA. Not as overly floral as some IPAs. Very well balanced. Citrus grapefruit smell and taste. Very smooth, the 6.9% can launch a sneak attack without warning. Even though this beer was released more than a decade ago and was ahead of the curve at the time, it still holds its own very well.

03-02-2014 02:27:09 | More by THE-DUDE
HopHedd

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A show-all trend setter for pure India Pale Ale amongst the ranks. This foundation of a brew should be mocked and chased after by all breweries. Light flavor with rich-heavy after taste, smooth and golden color, hop notes are balanced, not the focal point of the beer. Overall well-slated IPA.

Serving type: growler

03-02-2014 01:39:32 | More by HopHedd
dank203

4.05/5  rDev -4.3%

pours a pretty clear golden color. good amount of head. looked good in a pint glass. very light fluffy feel, lot of candy and citrusy grapefruit notes, fair amount of lemon. good earthy aroma, a little musty and dank. very bitter though, not for all .

02-27-2014 22:35:16 | More by dank203
arc0042

Alabama

4.35/5  rDev +2.8%

This is a solid West Coast IPA, and easily one of my top 10 IPA's.

The malt bill is rather subtle, but definitely proficient enough. I would describe it as a wonderfully crafted loaf of bread, with hints of brown sugar and caramel. It isn't deep at all, leaving a crisp, not overwhelming taste of just absolutely wonderful malts on the tongue. I wouldn't consider this malt bill aggressive at all, but as I said it is definitely proficient.

Stone absolutely nailed the hop bill on this beer. When they state that both bittering hops and aroma/flavor hops are well balanced, they are 100% stating the truth. The fresher you get this beer (always check the best by date), the more pronounced the bittering hops will be. If you get an older batch of this beer, the bittering hops probably have settled and you will be left with a sweeter IPA (which some people like). This last batch I got however is dated best by 05/04/14, and it is 02/26/14. I would consider this rather fresh, but not as fresh as I would like.

I've tried probably close to 20 6-packs of this beer, so I feel as if I'm rather qualified to rate it.
The hop profile is rather complex....I see that a lot of people describe the hop profile as "citrusy", but honestly that isn't what first comes to my mind. The forward hop flavor in this beer, to me at least, is a variety that is PUNGENT in humulene and low in alpha acids (such as a noble hop). I'm rather sure they don't use noble hops for this beer, but that is what the flavor reminds me of, which leads me to believe the primary flavoring hop is rather low in alpha acids and high in beta acids, particularly humelene and myrcene. With this being said, I do taste a slight citrus note, but it isn't the predominant flavor. It is a rather bitter grapefruit/mango/papaya type flavor. The dominant hop flavor I get from this beer is that of an herbal variety. I mean very herbal, almost like a lemon thyme/rosemary/spearmint flavor. Either way, I fully approve of this hop profile. The bittering hops and flavor/aroma hops they chose beautifully compliment each other, making this one of my favorite IPA's.

I don't describe the pour of this beer because I don't pour IPA's. I think that the carbonation snap that is achieved directly from a bottle is essential in a proper tasting. Pouring these beers releases important volatile essential oils into the air, many of which are important to the final characteristics of the beer.

Cheers people!!! This one gets an easy 4.5/5, and that is being stingy!!!

02-26-2014 22:24:25 | More by arc0042
PBIU

4.48/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Stone first came to Chicagoland in the Spring of 2010.

This was about the time I was beginning to expand my craft beer horizons and Stone was a great brewery to dive into.

Not quite sure why some video reviewers knock on this IPA (thinking Better Beer Authority) here. Although those guys are a bit goofy at times and I find myself disagreeing with them about 80% of the time.

So here is the review. Had this beer on-tap from my basement kegerator (many more pints to come).

Appearance is a bit orange with a nice bright look. Nice lacing on the glass when swirled and about a two finger head.

Smell is citrus focused with a bit of carmel malt at the tail end.

Taste is very smooth. Well balanced play with the hops and malt here where one does not overpower the other. Dry finish. Typical West Coast IPA taste and from the guys that really invented the San Diego IPA style in the 90s.

Mouthfeel is not what you would think with this. Coming in at 6.9% one would think a heavier syrupy mouthfeel would be present. Stone IPA is light and smooth. Some may say a bit watery for the style, but I think it works well with this offering.

Overall just a good solid beer. Stone delivers and I can see why they have such a cult following.

02-26-2014 18:22:07 | More by PBIU
Bone53

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a snifter glass at around 45°F

Appearance: Golden copper with a one finger off white head that dissipates quickly.

Smell: Funky hop extraction and mild pepper in the nose, and at that moment I knew that this wouldn't be the IPA for me

Taste: Syrupy hop extraction and a hint of malts with the pepper that puts me off.

Mouthfeel: Goes down smooth with subtle bitterness.

Overall: Did I get a bad batch? Coming from Stone, I was underwhelmed to say the least

02-24-2014 06:13:03 | More by Bone53
Bouleboubier

3.59/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A West Coast IPA whose magnificence I certainly must not understand.

The hops are of a blend of fresh-cut grass, holiday wreath, and green onions. A modicum of sweet malt combines with additional hop flavors to create a mild, sweet orange-creme nuance. The chlorophyll-leafy and green onion-like pungency and bitterness has always turned me off enough with Stone's beers not to have any urge to order a pint or buy a bottle. Some of their darker beers exhibit these qualities, but a couple actually taste pretty good. I'm seriously going to have to find out which of the hops they use offends me. Or is it the yeast? It bugs me, because a lot of people love their beers.... Then again, none of their beers below 6% abv score above 4 on here. Maybe there's my answer... Gonna see what Levitation has to offer.

02-12-2014 01:01:09 | More by Bouleboubier
Johnny_Muir

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

12 oz into tulip glass. I had heard so many good things about Stone, and this being my first beer of theirs, I was not disappointed! This is all that you expect from an IPA: Bold, hoppy, whamma bama crocodile slammah! Glad I bought the full six pack.

02-11-2014 05:08:27 | More by Johnny_Muir
eclipse54

3.78/5  rDev -10.6%

A 12 ounce bottle picked up at the local as a single - realized I never wrote a review for this one and wanted to correct that oversight. Into the tulip it goes.

A tangerine colored body with a finger’s breadth of fluffy white head comprised of various sizes of bubbles. Average retention and generous wet lacing. Aroma is of pine, citrus (orange and lemon with a dash of grapefruit), grass, and a bit of caramel malt (hint of age on the bottle, I suppose). Flavor draws a bit more malt, but still generous doses of lemon, grapefruit, and pine up front. Bitter, earthen hops dominate the middle and finish. Lively body with perfect carbonation, dry, bitter finish. Overall, a well balanced IPA that is a great example of the style. I do wish Stone had a more robust bottle dating system (the date was wiped off this bottle), but it’s still fresh enough to be enjoyable.

02-11-2014 00:36:42 | More by eclipse54
Boca-X

3.85/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber into a Sin City Brewing Co (Nevada) pint glass. Light head, faded fast, light lacing, lasted throughout drink. Golden, honey orange...a little cloudy to the eyes.

Slight hops on the nose, orange, grapefruit, lemon, pine...what you would expect from an IPA.

Mellow pine, citrus...a hint of candy cane and dark/burnt coco on the front of the tongue. Extremely smooth. The finish tastes of bitter lazy grapefruit. Bitter finish is fast, then gone...probably why so many people like it?

I've had the Bastard and thought it was very good. This is extremely balanced and smooth, making it very drinkable, if you enjoy IPAs you'll like this. Honestly, it isn't much different from lots of very good beers in this style? I will drink again...it's good...close to great...but...?

I'll come back to it and review it again in the summer...maybe the change in weather will help? I must say I've been drinking a lot of very hoppy IPAs lately, so my buds are all juiced up!

02-10-2014 22:31:43 | More by Boca-X
SteveB24

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: color is somewhere between copper and amber. Pours 2 fingers of sticky white head that retains pretty well. Lots of little bubbles.

Smell: hoppy spice with some strong pine in there too. Touch of mild fruit lurking as well.

Taste: smooth but not subtle spicey and piney hop, a bit of malt backing up the hop notes

Mouthfeel: medium body, medium carbonation, crisp, slightly dry in the finish.

Overall: if you want an IPA, and only a classical, crisp beer that is everything you think of when you think IPA will do, buy this beer

02-09-2014 19:39:35 | More by SteveB24
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.