Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 9,870 | Reviews: 2,918
3.95/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Delta Shuttle from LAX to SFO - 12 oz bottle (beers offered free on these flights)

4.31/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Found this at the Four Firkins in Minneapolis. The best by date suggests it's still good for another three weeks. Poured right from the fridge into my pint glass.

L: Pours a warm honey amber with about an inch-and-a-half of white, dense head that sticks around for a nice bit and leaves some cling on the glass. Clear, with lots of specks of particulate and moderate carbonation visible.

S: Pine hops are the prominent notes in the bouquet, along with some grapefruit and orange/tangerine. Some bready malt notes lingering underneath it all. Not a huge aroma to this one.

T: Assertive pine hop notes right out of the gate, with the caramel and bready malts working to keep things in check. A bit of citrus as the taste moves to the middle--some orange and grapefruit. There's also a bit of clear alcohol as it moves into the back. The close is probably my favorite part about this beer: there's nice resinous pine and much more assertive grapefruit rind that have a little stick and carry the aftertaste for a good long while.

F: On the heavier side for a single IPA, this one makes you feel like you're drinking a substantial beer. It's got smoothness/creaminess, but that quickly turns bright/bitter by the back end, leaving some substantial bitter on the palate. The carbonation is spot-on.

O: I wasn't sure if this one could live up to the hype for me, but it definitely did. This is an expertly crafted IPA that has beautiful straightforward hop flavors that really hit the tongue hard. For all of the big flavor, it still manages to deliver some complexity. I will definitely revisit this one again when I have the chance.

2.75/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

At least you get a buzz!?

3.99/5  rDev -5.5%

Clear amber color with a two finger high, white head.

Nose: Citrus, pine grass and grapefruit.
Taste: Caramel malt, pine, grass, grapefruit and lemongrass.
Body: Medium body and carbonation. Long, bitter finish.

Great IPA!

3.97/5  rDev -5.9%

Good beer. Citrusy and crisp. Enjoyable beer.

50 cent single from Winter Haven ABC

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

The gold standard for IPA's, IMO.

4.49/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look- exactly what you expect from a miraculous ipa. Dark golden in color, lacing down the glass, and a medium thick pillowy head. Very inviting.

Smell- smells baseline. Underlying citrus but primarily floral, hoppy notes. To be honest, as spectacular as the taste is, isdexpect a more intense, piney smell. That being said, it smells like an ipa.

Taste- this is where this beer becomes legendary. When you order an ipa, you have certain expectations. Strong flavor, beautiful bitterness, and a smell that utters "buckle your seatbelts, this is about to get real." Stone ipa reminds you of why you avoid domesticated beers, and thrive for artistry. This beer, my friends, is one that you can consider one of the "royal ipa's"

Feel- Incredibly intense floral notes, yet this beer is incredibly light, and easy to drink. High carbonation, relatable to a cold soda on a hot day. This may not fall under feel, but this beer takes me back to my first ipa experience and caresses me at all the turns it first took me on.

Overall- Great beer. If you're new to the ipa realm or a well travled ipa veteran, Stone IPA hits on all the qualities you want it to. Expect nothing but greatness from Stone!

4.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

My third bottle of this one from the six-pack, has the numbers "24 15" with a squiggle or symbol of some sort between them... bottling date or best-by date of some sort? I saw a 6 on one, and numbers like 24 and 26 on others, so I'm guessing this means the best-by dates are toward the later end of June 2015.

Anyway, on to the beer. Looks dark gold, bordering on orangey, mostly clear with lots and lots of tiny little bubbles coming up. Nice head of almost-white foam on top, which is gradually shrinking but hasn't quite gotten to "thin coating at the surface" as of my writing this. Leaves a whole lot of lacing behind as it goes, too -- the inside of my glass seems to have been painted to resemble a white kitchen sponge in some places, there's so much of a foam trail covering it. Bottle/"label" design is neat too, I don't see many of the "printed directly onto the glass" labels like this.

The smell is really great on this beer. Hoppiness the moment you open the bottle, and while pouring. Mostly citrusy, which is an interesting change from the way so many IPAs seem to have a lot more pine in them to me. There's a bit of a piney, leafy thing going on when I take a sniff now (the initial citrus blast fades a bit as the foam on top shrinks) and some other fruitiness coming in, but the citrus is still the primary smell.

Taste is nice, too. A lot of citrus, and there's more pine than in the smell but it's not as dominant of a flavor as in several of the other IPAs I've had. Bitterness is significant (but not overwhelming) and has a bit of a leafy thing to it, hangs around for a just a bit at the end. I get just a little of a bread-crusty sort of malt flavor here and there, but the hops are definitely the primary flavor, as expected of an IPA. In the previous bottle I occasionally picked up something that reminded me of cinnamon, oddly enough. I got just a hint of this with my last drink from this glass, too, actually. In previous bottles I've also picked up on something that reminded me of walking through the woods in a way, I'm guessing a combination of piney/leafy hop flavor and maybe something else? Wasn't getting quite as much of that this time (more citrus, pine, leafy) but it stood out to me in the previous bottles I've had, so I figured I'd mention it here.

Feel is good too for the most part. Maybe just a tad bit more fizzy/bubbly than I would've liked, but very drinkable (while still feeling more substantial than water or lighter beers.) The near-7% alcohol is completely undetectable, I can't pick up on any mouth-warming or alcohol-type flavors at all. Overall feel is nicely "in-between," not too light and dry but not too heavy and sticky either. Overall leaning a bit more toward the dry side.

Overall, this is probably my favorite IPA so far. The smell is great (especially the initial citrus blast when pouring) and I'm really liking how there's a bit more complexity going on in the flavor rather than just an explosion of hops (though that's certainly there too!) -- it's like someone took the things I like about "regular" pale ales scaled all that up to IPA-strength. Which is exactly what an IPA is supposed to be, isn't it -- a bigger, hoppier, higher-ABV version of a pale ale? Very nice first impression from a brewery that's only recently appeared in the stores around here -- I will be trying more of their lineup (and probably more of this one) in the future for sure.

2.04/5  rDev -51.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Did not like the taste

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Aroma - fruity, I guess tropical, and grassy. Taste similar, with pine ciming through.

4.31/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

18oz poured on tap at the local Bier Markt one day for lunch. Saw this and figured it was a must have as otherwise accessibility to this heralded beer is non-existent in Ontario.

Appearance - Bright golden color, with some bronze hues. Poured a respectable one finger of head, with decent retention and a nice soapy collar left behind afterwards. Cloudy in appearance but not hazy.

Smell- Delicious blend of lemon, graepfruit some malty sweetness, combined with a sweeter tropical fruit and some mandarin orange. Very enticing and among the best smelling IPA's I've had.

Taste - Wow this was good. Starts sweet, very juicy and fruity with the sweetened grapefruit and something like an unripe strawberry flavor, before the lemon starts to control things and ends rather bitter (and tart). Yet there is some maltiness in the back to prevent this from being too unbalanced, but the juicy fruit flavors are the star. A bit boozy towards the end of the glass, prevents this from getting a 4.5.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and very crisp with the most invisible and seamless level of moderate carbonation I have ever experienced. Great feel.

Overall - a great IPA, one that I would certainly enjoy with more accessibility and a phenomenal (and unique) blend of hops and fruit flavors. A west coast IPA at it's best.

4.29/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: no head, golden copper color. Probably a little old.
S: A nice hop presence, pine pine pine
T: Not very balanced IMHO- not that its a bad thing, but i'm getting a ton of pine foretaste and aftertaste. Malts come through just a few times and are isolated, the rest of the time they are overpowered by hop which is sort of the point.
M: crisp, very crisp
O: A solid west coast style IPA. Not the best I've had but a standard nonetheless.

I have been to the brewery and must say when the fresh cascade batch is available, watch out! Friggin' killer...

4.22/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

More citrus than pine which I prefer. Medium to high carbonation which was quite refreshing. Dry, lingering finish with a pleasant orange zesty bitterness. Very, very, nice.

4.43/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Smooth IPA. Not too bitter. Nice head and lacing. Will have again.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Outstanding IPA. Luckily I get this anywhere where I live. I have been to the brewery at least 10 times.

4.28/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look: clear, golden with a thick foam; smell: nice, floral, light; taste: some bitterness, good balance; fell: smooth; a great session beer, if you like them a bit bitter and can hold your alcohol (it's 9.7%!)

3.2/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I only really like a few IPA's. I'm really picky when it comes to these kinds of beers. This wasn't bad, just a little bitter initially. Almost like aspirin. Got better.

3.08/5  rDev -27%

In its time, I bet this was a real revelation, but I found it to be sorta bland (although well crafted).

4.51/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Solid as an IPA gets. Very poundable at nearly 7%.

3.26/5  rDev -22.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I dunno....I guess this kinda tasted like it was filtered and for the masses......kinda boring. lots of hops.... some floral notes......It was drinkable and ok but nothing special.

3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

A little dry and not overly flavorful. Nothing very exciting. Getting towards the end of a large bottle I was not psyched to finish it. No thrills IPA. I seem to be the only one not giving this one a great score but there are so many standard IPA's that are much better. The price is right tho at ~5 for a big bottle

4.92/5  rDev +16.6%

A fantastic beer. Very crisp and refreshing on a hot day. What's not to love about Stone?

The ideal IPA. Hoppy not too hoppy. Deliciously fruity.

4.4/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy pale amber in color with moderate off white head. Scent brings pale and caramel malts with hints of raisin along with a bouquet of aroma hops. Caramel malts shine through on the palate in the beginning with obvious caramel flavors, then the fresh yet powerful bittering hops clean house. Mouthfeel starts heavier and finishes light due to the flavor profile. This beer has depth and character, and is at the top of the IPA food chain by a long shot. I have yet to have a Stone Brewing beer that I wouldn't want to drink another of.

to view more.
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.