Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

to view more.
Ratings: 9,854 | Reviews: 2,914
Reviews by IPA1978:
4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Outstanding everyday go-to beer. Hoppy and bitter. GF hates it.

4.65/5  rDev +10.2%

Stone IPA is a real looker. Gauzy medium amber with a large, eggshell colored, slightly lumpy head that has good retention and leaves copious rings and sheets of lace.

This is the most amazingly fragrant beer that I've ever smelled; it hit with both barrels as soon as I popped the cap. Its room-filling bouquet even elicited a comment from my wife. The nose is abundantly citrusy, with grapefruit zest leading the charge. So this is what hops smell like!

The flavor is out of this world. Is this what people mean by a 'wow' beer? Grapefruit, lemon and pine, with a tantalizing hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is ultra-smooth and is full and rich without being heavy. Drinkability is superb. Oh how I wish that I had easier access to this amazing IPA.

It was with some trepidation that I popped the cap on this bomber of Stone IPA today. I've been reading on this site about how it's an incredibly hoppy, bitter beer and that beginners (namely me) should tread carefully, perhaps starting with more gentle, less hoppy styles. I think of bitterness as something unpleasant. Well if this is bitterness, give me all you've got.

Far from being unpleasant, this is the best beer of any style that I've had yet. I struggled with whether to assign such high scores since there aren't too many craft beers under my belt at this stage of the game. In the end, though, I have to go with what I feel. I can't imagine that anyone brews a better IPA, or that there are many other beers (of any style) that are better than this. And so.... a hophead is born.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm not going to re-review, but I am going to re-score now that I have quite a bit of IPA experience to reference. The taste score--I really hate to do this--falls to 4.5. (5/21/04)

One of my favorite go-to beers.

4.24/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Tawny-yellow, straw like. Thin lacing, that fades quickly.

S: Oily hops on the nose. Not much else.

T & M: Moderate body with a bitter hop bite. Very well balanced.

O: What I consider a true representation of the style. A solid offering and go to beer for me.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Outstanding IPA. Luckily I get this anywhere where I live. I have been to the brewery at least 10 times.

4.41/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dank smell to it. Definitely floral notes and citrusy. Great 1 inch head that returns when agitated. Great IPA.

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Grapefruit, pine and dank. Just a tad bitter on the aftertaste for me, but an incredible beer nonetheless.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Almost hard to believe I've never said anything on this beer until now.
I've always had this in a pint glass and for today once again, yes in a pint glass.
The appearance was a nice looking hazy orange color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within less than a minute. Light foamy lacing clings but trickles after a while.
The smell had a sharp pine assault of bitter hops with a light spice intertwining in and out on the aroma.
The taste copied the smell and carried a nice bitter pine into the spice of this beer. Light pine to spicy aftertaste lead to a dry finish.
The mouthfeel had a light to medium bodied sessionable dry spiciness rolling over my tongue.
Overall, I say this has and always will be a go to for me as an AIPA. Its hard not to find practically anywhere.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a light gold with a two finger, white head. The aroma is very hoppy. Lemon, orange juice, grapefruit, pine, sap, and a little malt sweetness. The flavor follows the nose very closely. There is a bit more of a malt presence, but that is very well balanced by the high IBUs. I've had so many IPA lately, this is better than I remembered.

4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Amazing IPA.

4.13/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle, Enjoy by 05/14/2015. I cannot believe I've had this beer so many times and never a review!?
A - frothy off-white head leaves a spattering of lacing at the top of the glass. Body is golden and crystal clear; sometimes there's some particulate yeast but not this time.
S - zesty lemon and grapefruit, but it's a rather mild nose. A fresher bottle might have helped here
T - a bit tart and very bitter with lemon and grapefruit zest controlling the palate. Malt is mild and more like pilsner than anything. Some grassy and piny hops and a very slight herbal aspect in there as well
M - medium body, moderate carbonation, finishes bitter and dry
O - one of my favorite IPAs. Delicious and refreshing. One of the best year round IPAs out there.

2.48/5  rDev -41.2%

Disappointing. I bought this based on a recommendation, but far too bitter.

4.17/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured a really nice peach color with small but rocky head that stuck to the glass,wow the smell,first whiff is freshly mowed grass it hits ur nasal passages like a freight train.Very citruisy taste hits u first but the maltiness in the background really balances this out nicely.Iam sometimes leery about getting west coast IPA's but this one is nicely balanced.Stone has to be a world renown brewery by now their beers are just so world class.

4.73/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance – Gorgeous, cloudy bright orange body with a monster head that kept well and laced the glass.

Smell – Strong hop aroma, announcing the seriousness of this brew. There’s a terrific mix of floral and citrus hop scents, giving this ale a wonderful bouquet.

Taste – Deep, passionate, hop flavor is the trademark of this one. The floral hops kick in a little more at the taste, but this is an exceptionally balanced ale. There’s also a good malt balance in this one. Amazing!

Mouthfeel – Light carbonation in accordance with the style.

Drinkability – This one went down smooth as silk. This is quality at its finest. Another excellent offering from Stone.

Update – This is a staple in my house, so I decided to revisit my review in ’04. It really is an excellent ale. I was trying to figure out what kept me from 5ing this one. I think it’s the lack of a good, strong, lingering finish. The flavors just seem to drop off the table. Otherwise this IPA is perfect.

3.81/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Brought back to Wisconsin from Ledger’s in Berkeley, CA. 22 oz bomber.

Appearance: Fantastic head. Thick, creamy, cloud of sticky, floating goodness. Head rescinds to a quarter inch and cannot be reinvigorated because this beer lacks any visible carbonation. It is not, however, flat. The body’s color is beautiful peachy amber.

Nose: Dry pine. A little unripened grapefruit.

Taste: Hops. Tons of hops. Mostly pine. Caramel malt is barely distinguishable from the hops. Some toast and bread. Grapefruit zest and melon.

Mouthfeel: Not as bitter as the smell and taste would let on but bitter enough. Decently balanced. Medium body. Smooth but quite dry in the finish.

Drinkability: Very high.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a big, impressive froth that almost refuses to settle (which, of course, is a good thing). Leaves nearly enough lace to make it look like it didn't even settle! Copper to orange color. Absolutely beautiful hoppy aroma. Tons of floral and citrus character. In fact, it jumps out at you before you even finish opening the bottle. More citrus-like hop bitterness in the flavor, with some hints of spiciness and great malty undertones. Hops make it very smooth and crisp, and the bread-like maltiness underneath rounds it out quite well. Great balance of bitterness and sweetness as well. Dangerously drinkable! This is one wonderful brew. I'm loving every Stone brew I try with a passion! If you're just starting to love hops, this is a great step up from their pale ale if you're not quite ready for "ruination". And for the seasoned hophead, this is a wonderful treat and an exceptional brew all around! No matter who you are, try this! It will not fail to impress.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Reviewed from notes created on 11/16/10.

Stone IPA pours a golden-amber color with an eggshell-white, one-finger head into a hefty snifter. After the head recedes, clumpy, frothy ovals and circles of various sizes remain atop the body. Straight, sinewy lines of carbonation move fairly quickly up the sides of the glass. The lacing is great, with a mountain-esque top sguiggly line and many small dots and lines underneath.

When I smell this beer, a wild, unrestrained hop odor fills my nose. Skunk, grass, and fresh bud aromas are evident as soon as the cap is popped off of the bottle. Further delving into the scent reveals a little bit of grapefruit and orange zest to go along with the other hop aromas. A little bit of caramel and biscuit are also in the smell profile, providing a bit of balance to the unrelenting hops.

Bitter skunk, grapefruit, grass, and a certain herbal flavor pop onto my tongue at first sip. The caramel malt flavor balances out the hops in the middle of the sip, then a piney hop bitterness finished off the taste.

The mouthfeel is on the light-bodied side, but the potent hop bitterness stinging my palate makes up for that shortfall. I could use a little more creaminess and less wateriness, but this is a crisp and well carbonated feel.

This is an IPA that I really enjoy and I revisit it from time to time. I think it is a fairly session-able IPA, though the hop bitterness might crush a palate after a few bottles.

99? What? I love Stone beers, but hate this one. Mine is fresh according to the bottle, but WAY too grassy, and off putting. Just a nasty beer, and I don't get the fan fare with this. Where are the grapefruit, piney, citrus notes that you get in a West Coast IPA? Just completely non-existent with my particular beer.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

A: pours the usual amber hue for a very unusual
IPA. The head is strong with consistent
lacing.

S: The smell is subdued, both slightly sweet as
well as floral.

T: Awesome. A great hop statement, not as
strong as I've come to expect from AIPA. The
flavor and hop balance are further
evidence of Stone's tendency toward
reinvention without compormising old school
standards.

M: Clean, crisp, balanced, all cliche but all
true.

D: Very drinkable AIPA, not being strong for
the sake of being strong. True artistry in
this brew.

4.23/5  rDev +0.2%

Stone IPA 12oz. bottle.

A- Pours a nice burnt orange with hues of hops and nice half inch head. Head quickly dies down but lace retention is very thick. Note that the beginning head is still stuck to the top of glass half way though this brew.

S- Is a nice relaxing scent of grassy, floral, and earthy notes hit my nose first. This is followed by a light malty kick.

T- The taste is what makes this one a excellent session beer. Mild hop bitterness at first that smooths out at the end to a refreshing perfectly balanced finsh.

M-D- Very easy on the taste buds not one sign of anything that would offend my buds! Extra smooth finishing make this one of my choice beer to consume alot of.

Note: At 11.59 a six pack here in jax Florida its not the cheapest though.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Definitely not my favorite IPA, but its decent. It has a great smell, but there is a skunkyness to this beer that is pretty over-powering. Not to much to say about this Stone Beer, yes its drinkable and readily available at a decent price, but the wow factor is just not there. If it tasted as good as it smells then my rating would be higher.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Picked this up at the Liquor Stop in Highland, Indiana after a visit to 3F.

A: Yellowy hazy amber that is very yellow toward the bottom of the glass. Thin head stays throughout. Fluffy off-white head. Pretty good big lacing.

S: Not as powerful a hop smell as I was expecting. Hop profile is orange and grapefruit. Also has a syrupy sweet malt that becomes dominant as the drink progresses. The smell was fresh but so many talk about the strong hoppiness of Stone that I am worried that I go a bad 6.

T: Some fruity, grassy hops up front. Goes very quickly to a caramel malt and has a very subtle finish. Well balanced. A little watery at times. Again, I was expecting a wallop that never came although toward the end of the drink, it delivered a more piney bite. I'll re-review this brew in future if I find that this was a sub-standard 6. For now, all I can say is that it is a pretty subtle but enjoyable IPA.

M: Pretty clean and smooth. Light in body. Subtle level of carbonation that is just right.

D: I find IPA's very drinkable in general. The more balanced and subtle nature of this one makes it a very easy beer to session. I am going to get this in future to see if it has a stronger hop aggressiveness that was missing from my 6.

4.77/5  rDev +13%

What a bold beer! Right from the get go I knew I would enjoy this one. It poured a light amber color with a great fluffy white head. The aroma of citrus and spice was in full force and smelled absolutly wonderful. To say this beer is hoppy would be an understatement...it is VERY hoppy. But this is a good thing because it is still very smoothe. Mouthfeel was perfect, and the taste was great. It had a bit of a pine taste at the beginning, then as it hit my tounge it flavors opened up and revealed a very spicy flavor, and finished with a little alchohol warmth. This reminded me a lot of Arrogant Bastard, but with more of a spicy flavor. This is a great beer and now they make it in six packs....awesome!!

4.29/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

What a great beer.
A- Fresh/clean looking SanDiegoIPA. Creamy off white head/bright golden body
S-Everything you want from the 3 C's absolutely mouthwatering straightforward piney/citrusy with just the right alcohol punch
T- Great. Perfect beer to drink any time/day/week/month/year in sunny San Diego. Crisp/clean/refreshing (yeah it's someone else's motto, but it is much more true of this selection)
Perfect bitter/sweet
M- Its good. Goes down easy. Pretty bubbly
This is such an undeniably good beer. Bottom line

4.42/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours from the bomber a wonderful golden orange with a fluffy, bubbly white head. The smell is of bountiful citrusy hops....oranges, grapefruits, pineapple....with some floral tones as well. A bit of caramel in the nose as well. Fun to just sit here and smell.

First taste is well balanced, mouth puckering goodness. The hops are upfront with a nice malt backbone that brings it together well. A good amount of biterness hits the back of the palate. A mix of floral and citrus in my mouth with caramel sweetness that barely makes it out past the bountiful biterness.

Mouthfeel is spot on and makes this brew easy to down. Big gulps make me happy. Drinkability is very good as well. If I had access to this I could down a few in a night and enjoy every minute. Thanks to my friend kmpitz2 for bringing this one by for me!

to view more.
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.