Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,862 | Hads: 10,155
Reviews by Jparker37:
4.22/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured into a perfect pint. Enjoy by 11/30/13

A - Straw golden in color showing good clarity. White head dissipates rather quickly.
Some spotty lacing.

S - Nice oily dank hops. Strikes me as pine heavy, still citrusy as well. Layer of bisquit malt shows some balance.

T - Big piney hop flavors right away and throughout. Very little sign of malt. Bitterness shows up midway and only grows till the finish. Wow that gets bitter, hops are all sorts of oily and just crammed in there. Finish leaves a influx of hop flavor and alcohol.

M - Medium body, medium-light carbonation, bone dry.

O - Classic bitterness profile starting modestly and then just letting the flood gates go. More so than usual, very one sided beer which I am beginning to warm up to more. Aroma pops out but lacks some dimension, flavor is also the same story. That mouthfeel is perfect and should be emulated. A cornerstone of the American IPA style. (941 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Outstanding everyday go-to beer. Hoppy and bitter. GF hates it. (65 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Stone IPA is a real looker. Gauzy medium amber with a large, eggshell colored, slightly lumpy head that has good retention and leaves copious rings and sheets of lace.

This is the most amazingly fragrant beer that I've ever smelled; it hit with both barrels as soon as I popped the cap. Its room-filling bouquet even elicited a comment from my wife. The nose is abundantly citrusy, with grapefruit zest leading the charge. So this is what hops smell like!

The flavor is out of this world. Is this what people mean by a 'wow' beer? Grapefruit, lemon and pine, with a tantalizing hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is ultra-smooth and is full and rich without being heavy. Drinkability is superb. Oh how I wish that I had easier access to this amazing IPA.

It was with some trepidation that I popped the cap on this bomber of Stone IPA today. I've been reading on this site about how it's an incredibly hoppy, bitter beer and that beginners (namely me) should tread carefully, perhaps starting with more gentle, less hoppy styles. I think of bitterness as something unpleasant. Well if this is bitterness, give me all you've got.

Far from being unpleasant, this is the best beer of any style that I've had yet. I struggled with whether to assign such high scores since there aren't too many craft beers under my belt at this stage of the game. In the end, though, I have to go with what I feel. I can't imagine that anyone brews a better IPA, or that there are many other beers (of any style) that are better than this. And so.... a hophead is born.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm not going to re-review, but I am going to re-score now that I have quite a bit of IPA experience to reference. The taste score--I really hate to do this--falls to 4.5. (5/21/04) (1,812 characters)

One of my favorite go-to beers. (31 characters)

4.24/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A: Tawny-yellow, straw like. Thin lacing, that fades quickly.

S: Oily hops on the nose. Not much else.

T & M: Moderate body with a bitter hop bite. Very well balanced.

O: What I consider a true representation of the style. A solid offering and go to beer for me. (278 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Outstanding IPA. Luckily I get this anywhere where I live. I have been to the brewery at least 10 times. (106 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dank smell to it. Definitely floral notes and citrusy. Great 1 inch head that returns when agitated. Great IPA. (111 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Grapefruit, pine and dank. Just a tad bitter on the aftertaste for me, but an incredible beer nonetheless. (106 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Almost hard to believe I've never said anything on this beer until now.
I've always had this in a pint glass and for today once again, yes in a pint glass.
The appearance was a nice looking hazy orange color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within less than a minute. Light foamy lacing clings but trickles after a while.
The smell had a sharp pine assault of bitter hops with a light spice intertwining in and out on the aroma.
The taste copied the smell and carried a nice bitter pine into the spice of this beer. Light pine to spicy aftertaste lead to a dry finish.
The mouthfeel had a light to medium bodied sessionable dry spiciness rolling over my tongue.
Overall, I say this has and always will be a go to for me as an AIPA. Its hard not to find practically anywhere. (792 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -4.2%

Very typical west coast IPA. Nice bite to it. Wonderful taste. A staple beer for any IPA beer drinker. (102 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Pours a light gold with a two finger, white head. The aroma is very hoppy. Lemon, orange juice, grapefruit, pine, sap, and a little malt sweetness. The flavor follows the nose very closely. There is a bit more of a malt presence, but that is very well balanced by the high IBUs. I've had so many IPA lately, this is better than I remembered. (342 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Amazing IPA. (12 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle, Enjoy by 05/14/2015. I cannot believe I've had this beer so many times and never a review!?
A - frothy off-white head leaves a spattering of lacing at the top of the glass. Body is golden and crystal clear; sometimes there's some particulate yeast but not this time.
S - zesty lemon and grapefruit, but it's a rather mild nose. A fresher bottle might have helped here
T - a bit tart and very bitter with lemon and grapefruit zest controlling the palate. Malt is mild and more like pilsner than anything. Some grassy and piny hops and a very slight herbal aspect in there as well
M - medium body, moderate carbonation, finishes bitter and dry
O - one of my favorite IPAs. Delicious and refreshing. One of the best year round IPAs out there. (752 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -41.5%

Disappointing. I bought this based on a recommendation, but far too bitter. (76 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured a really nice peach color with small but rocky head that stuck to the glass,wow the smell,first whiff is freshly mowed grass it hits ur nasal passages like a freight train.Very citruisy taste hits u first but the maltiness in the background really balances this out nicely.Iam sometimes leery about getting west coast IPA's but this one is nicely balanced.Stone has to be a world renown brewery by now their beers are just so world class. (445 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +11.6%

Appearance – Gorgeous, cloudy bright orange body with a monster head that kept well and laced the glass.

Smell – Strong hop aroma, announcing the seriousness of this brew. There’s a terrific mix of floral and citrus hop scents, giving this ale a wonderful bouquet.

Taste – Deep, passionate, hop flavor is the trademark of this one. The floral hops kick in a little more at the taste, but this is an exceptionally balanced ale. There’s also a good malt balance in this one. Amazing!

Mouthfeel – Light carbonation in accordance with the style.

Drinkability – This one went down smooth as silk. This is quality at its finest. Another excellent offering from Stone.

Update – This is a staple in my house, so I decided to revisit my review in ’04. It really is an excellent ale. I was trying to figure out what kept me from 5ing this one. I think it’s the lack of a good, strong, lingering finish. The flavors just seem to drop off the table. Otherwise this IPA is perfect. (993 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Brought back to Wisconsin from Ledger’s in Berkeley, CA. 22 oz bomber.

Appearance: Fantastic head. Thick, creamy, cloud of sticky, floating goodness. Head rescinds to a quarter inch and cannot be reinvigorated because this beer lacks any visible carbonation. It is not, however, flat. The body’s color is beautiful peachy amber.

Nose: Dry pine. A little unripened grapefruit.

Taste: Hops. Tons of hops. Mostly pine. Caramel malt is barely distinguishable from the hops. Some toast and bread. Grapefruit zest and melon.

Mouthfeel: Not as bitter as the smell and taste would let on but bitter enough. Decently balanced. Medium body. Smooth but quite dry in the finish.

Drinkability: Very high. (710 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours a big, impressive froth that almost refuses to settle (which, of course, is a good thing). Leaves nearly enough lace to make it look like it didn't even settle! Copper to orange color. Absolutely beautiful hoppy aroma. Tons of floral and citrus character. In fact, it jumps out at you before you even finish opening the bottle. More citrus-like hop bitterness in the flavor, with some hints of spiciness and great malty undertones. Hops make it very smooth and crisp, and the bread-like maltiness underneath rounds it out quite well. Great balance of bitterness and sweetness as well. Dangerously drinkable! This is one wonderful brew. I'm loving every Stone brew I try with a passion! If you're just starting to love hops, this is a great step up from their pale ale if you're not quite ready for "ruination". And for the seasoned hophead, this is a wonderful treat and an exceptional brew all around! No matter who you are, try this! It will not fail to impress. (970 characters)

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.