Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Reviews by Zraly:
4.45/5  rDev +5.5%

This has exceeded my expectations.

For one, I'm not a huge hophead. I'm more of a malt gal. Just as I prefer particular genres of music, I prefer particular structures of beer...high on the malt, medium on the hops. My usual preference (in terms of music) is either heavy, moody guitar rock or old Delta-style blues. But, this is not to say I do not appreciate other makes of music...because I love music in general. So, when I hear Bach or Dr. Dre, although they are not in my "favorite" style(s) of music, I appreciate their offerings. They do what they do and they do it well.

Stone is like Bach/Dre to me; overly hoppy beverages are not my first choice. But, I know a good one when I taste it. And Stone's IPA is a case in point.

The head poured rich, creamy, and fluffy . The beer itself was a beautiful, deep gold with a touch o' amber. The smell was hop heaven...like I just opened a pouch of fresh hop flowers. The smell was also tinged with a note of citrus...which carried over into the flavor.

As well as the citrus note, there is a spicy undertone that comes along with the malt hints, it is a sweet spice, or a spice that would compliment a sweet flavor. (Perhaps it is cinnamon I pick up on?)
What amazes me most is, beside all the flavor and hoppy goodness...this beer finishes incredibly smooth, clinging to the glass all the way to the bottom. It's crisp and snappy. And so damn refreshing.

This is a high quality brew. It doesn't get much better than this.

This beer goes exceptionally well with shrimp and spicy cocktail sauce.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Outstanding everyday go-to beer. Hoppy and bitter. GF hates it.

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Stone IPA is a real looker. Gauzy medium amber with a large, eggshell colored, slightly lumpy head that has good retention and leaves copious rings and sheets of lace.

This is the most amazingly fragrant beer that I've ever smelled; it hit with both barrels as soon as I popped the cap. Its room-filling bouquet even elicited a comment from my wife. The nose is abundantly citrusy, with grapefruit zest leading the charge. So this is what hops smell like!

The flavor is out of this world. Is this what people mean by a 'wow' beer? Grapefruit, lemon and pine, with a tantalizing hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is ultra-smooth and is full and rich without being heavy. Drinkability is superb. Oh how I wish that I had easier access to this amazing IPA.

It was with some trepidation that I popped the cap on this bomber of Stone IPA today. I've been reading on this site about how it's an incredibly hoppy, bitter beer and that beginners (namely me) should tread carefully, perhaps starting with more gentle, less hoppy styles. I think of bitterness as something unpleasant. Well if this is bitterness, give me all you've got.

Far from being unpleasant, this is the best beer of any style that I've had yet. I struggled with whether to assign such high scores since there aren't too many craft beers under my belt at this stage of the game. In the end, though, I have to go with what I feel. I can't imagine that anyone brews a better IPA, or that there are many other beers (of any style) that are better than this. And so.... a hophead is born.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm not going to re-review, but I am going to re-score now that I have quite a bit of IPA experience to reference. The taste score--I really hate to do this--falls to 4.5. (5/21/04)

One of my favorite go-to beers.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a light gold with a two finger, white head. The aroma is very hoppy. Lemon, orange juice, grapefruit, pine, sap, and a little malt sweetness. The flavor follows the nose very closely. There is a bit more of a malt presence, but that is very well balanced by the high IBUs. I've had so many IPA lately, this is better than I remembered.

Amazing IPA.

4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured a really nice peach color with small but rocky head that stuck to the glass,wow the smell,first whiff is freshly mowed grass it hits ur nasal passages like a freight train.Very citruisy taste hits u first but the maltiness in the background really balances this out nicely.Iam sometimes leery about getting west coast IPA's but this one is nicely balanced.Stone has to be a world renown brewery by now their beers are just so world class.

4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance – Gorgeous, cloudy bright orange body with a monster head that kept well and laced the glass.

Smell – Strong hop aroma, announcing the seriousness of this brew. There’s a terrific mix of floral and citrus hop scents, giving this ale a wonderful bouquet.

Taste – Deep, passionate, hop flavor is the trademark of this one. The floral hops kick in a little more at the taste, but this is an exceptionally balanced ale. There’s also a good malt balance in this one. Amazing!

Mouthfeel – Light carbonation in accordance with the style.

Drinkability – This one went down smooth as silk. This is quality at its finest. Another excellent offering from Stone.

Update – This is a staple in my house, so I decided to revisit my review in ’04. It really is an excellent ale. I was trying to figure out what kept me from 5ing this one. I think it’s the lack of a good, strong, lingering finish. The flavors just seem to drop off the table. Otherwise this IPA is perfect.

3.8/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Brought back to Wisconsin from Ledger’s in Berkeley, CA. 22 oz bomber.

Appearance: Fantastic head. Thick, creamy, cloud of sticky, floating goodness. Head rescinds to a quarter inch and cannot be reinvigorated because this beer lacks any visible carbonation. It is not, however, flat. The body’s color is beautiful peachy amber.

Nose: Dry pine. A little unripened grapefruit.

Taste: Hops. Tons of hops. Mostly pine. Caramel malt is barely distinguishable from the hops. Some toast and bread. Grapefruit zest and melon.

Mouthfeel: Not as bitter as the smell and taste would let on but bitter enough. Decently balanced. Medium body. Smooth but quite dry in the finish.

Drinkability: Very high.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a big, impressive froth that almost refuses to settle (which, of course, is a good thing). Leaves nearly enough lace to make it look like it didn't even settle! Copper to orange color. Absolutely beautiful hoppy aroma. Tons of floral and citrus character. In fact, it jumps out at you before you even finish opening the bottle. More citrus-like hop bitterness in the flavor, with some hints of spiciness and great malty undertones. Hops make it very smooth and crisp, and the bread-like maltiness underneath rounds it out quite well. Great balance of bitterness and sweetness as well. Dangerously drinkable! This is one wonderful brew. I'm loving every Stone brew I try with a passion! If you're just starting to love hops, this is a great step up from their pale ale if you're not quite ready for "ruination". And for the seasoned hophead, this is a wonderful treat and an exceptional brew all around! No matter who you are, try this! It will not fail to impress.

4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Reviewed from notes created on 11/16/10.

Stone IPA pours a golden-amber color with an eggshell-white, one-finger head into a hefty snifter. After the head recedes, clumpy, frothy ovals and circles of various sizes remain atop the body. Straight, sinewy lines of carbonation move fairly quickly up the sides of the glass. The lacing is great, with a mountain-esque top sguiggly line and many small dots and lines underneath.

When I smell this beer, a wild, unrestrained hop odor fills my nose. Skunk, grass, and fresh bud aromas are evident as soon as the cap is popped off of the bottle. Further delving into the scent reveals a little bit of grapefruit and orange zest to go along with the other hop aromas. A little bit of caramel and biscuit are also in the smell profile, providing a bit of balance to the unrelenting hops.

Bitter skunk, grapefruit, grass, and a certain herbal flavor pop onto my tongue at first sip. The caramel malt flavor balances out the hops in the middle of the sip, then a piney hop bitterness finished off the taste.

The mouthfeel is on the light-bodied side, but the potent hop bitterness stinging my palate makes up for that shortfall. I could use a little more creaminess and less wateriness, but this is a crisp and well carbonated feel.

This is an IPA that I really enjoy and I revisit it from time to time. I think it is a fairly session-able IPA, though the hop bitterness might crush a palate after a few bottles.

4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

99? What? I love Stone beers, but hate this one. Mine is fresh according to the bottle, but WAY too grassy, and off putting. Just a nasty beer, and I don't get the fan fare with this. Where are the grapefruit, piney, citrus notes that you get in a West Coast IPA? Just completely non-existent with my particular beer.

4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

A: pours the usual amber hue for a very unusual
IPA. The head is strong with consistent
lacing.

S: The smell is subdued, both slightly sweet as
well as floral.

T: Awesome. A great hop statement, not as
strong as I've come to expect from AIPA. The
flavor and hop balance are further
evidence of Stone's tendency toward
reinvention without compormising old school
standards.

M: Clean, crisp, balanced, all cliche but all
true.

D: Very drinkable AIPA, not being strong for
the sake of being strong. True artistry in
this brew.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.