Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Reviews by wanker:
3.48/5  rDev -17.5%

This beer is definitely for hop heads.It is a complex beer, with citrus and stone fruit flavors (peach and tangerine?) underneath a serious hop zing.

To tell you the truth, the hop flavor was so strong that it was difficult for me to finish my half of the bomber I shared with my wife. I liked the fruity undertones, but the intensity of the piney hop tastes killed the drinkability for me.

That said, I'm really a stout and porter guy, so ignore this review if your tastes don't run in the stout/porter direction.

wanker, Nov 02, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Outstanding everyday go-to beer. Hoppy and bitter. GF hates it.

mick92627, Aug 21, 2014
4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Stone IPA is a real looker. Gauzy medium amber with a large, eggshell colored, slightly lumpy head that has good retention and leaves copious rings and sheets of lace.

This is the most amazingly fragrant beer that I've ever smelled; it hit with both barrels as soon as I popped the cap. Its room-filling bouquet even elicited a comment from my wife. The nose is abundantly citrusy, with grapefruit zest leading the charge. So this is what hops smell like!

The flavor is out of this world. Is this what people mean by a 'wow' beer? Grapefruit, lemon and pine, with a tantalizing hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is ultra-smooth and is full and rich without being heavy. Drinkability is superb. Oh how I wish that I had easier access to this amazing IPA.

It was with some trepidation that I popped the cap on this bomber of Stone IPA today. I've been reading on this site about how it's an incredibly hoppy, bitter beer and that beginners (namely me) should tread carefully, perhaps starting with more gentle, less hoppy styles. I think of bitterness as something unpleasant. Well if this is bitterness, give me all you've got.

Far from being unpleasant, this is the best beer of any style that I've had yet. I struggled with whether to assign such high scores since there aren't too many craft beers under my belt at this stage of the game. In the end, though, I have to go with what I feel. I can't imagine that anyone brews a better IPA, or that there are many other beers (of any style) that are better than this. And so.... a hophead is born.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm not going to re-review, but I am going to re-score now that I have quite a bit of IPA experience to reference. The taste score--I really hate to do this--falls to 4.5. (5/21/04)

BuckeyeNation, Dec 03, 2003
4.15/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured a really nice peach color with small but rocky head that stuck to the glass,wow the smell,first whiff is freshly mowed grass it hits ur nasal passages like a freight train.Very citruisy taste hits u first but the maltiness in the background really balances this out nicely.Iam sometimes leery about getting west coast IPA's but this one is nicely balanced.Stone has to be a world renown brewery by now their beers are just so world class.

oberon, May 20, 2003

mojohawk21, Apr 03, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance – Gorgeous, cloudy bright orange body with a monster head that kept well and laced the glass.

Smell – Strong hop aroma, announcing the seriousness of this brew. There’s a terrific mix of floral and citrus hop scents, giving this ale a wonderful bouquet.

Taste – Deep, passionate, hop flavor is the trademark of this one. The floral hops kick in a little more at the taste, but this is an exceptionally balanced ale. There’s also a good malt balance in this one. Amazing!

Mouthfeel – Light carbonation in accordance with the style.

Drinkability – This one went down smooth as silk. This is quality at its finest. Another excellent offering from Stone.

Update – This is a staple in my house, so I decided to revisit my review in ’04. It really is an excellent ale. I was trying to figure out what kept me from 5ing this one. I think it’s the lack of a good, strong, lingering finish. The flavors just seem to drop off the table. Otherwise this IPA is perfect.

RoyalT, Sep 03, 2003

Bmm281, Aug 31, 2014

legalag11, Jun 17, 2014
3.8/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Brought back to Wisconsin from Ledger’s in Berkeley, CA. 22 oz bomber.

Appearance: Fantastic head. Thick, creamy, cloud of sticky, floating goodness. Head rescinds to a quarter inch and cannot be reinvigorated because this beer lacks any visible carbonation. It is not, however, flat. The body’s color is beautiful peachy amber.

Nose: Dry pine. A little unripened grapefruit.

Taste: Hops. Tons of hops. Mostly pine. Caramel malt is barely distinguishable from the hops. Some toast and bread. Grapefruit zest and melon.

Mouthfeel: Not as bitter as the smell and taste would let on but bitter enough. Decently balanced. Medium body. Smooth but quite dry in the finish.

Drinkability: Very high.

DaPeculierDane, Jun 11, 2006

tectactoe, Jun 08, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Pours a big, impressive froth that almost refuses to settle (which, of course, is a good thing). Leaves nearly enough lace to make it look like it didn't even settle! Copper to orange color. Absolutely beautiful hoppy aroma. Tons of floral and citrus character. In fact, it jumps out at you before you even finish opening the bottle. More citrus-like hop bitterness in the flavor, with some hints of spiciness and great malty undertones. Hops make it very smooth and crisp, and the bread-like maltiness underneath rounds it out quite well. Great balance of bitterness and sweetness as well. Dangerously drinkable! This is one wonderful brew. I'm loving every Stone brew I try with a passion! If you're just starting to love hops, this is a great step up from their pale ale if you're not quite ready for "ruination". And for the seasoned hophead, this is a wonderful treat and an exceptional brew all around! No matter who you are, try this! It will not fail to impress.

ExtraStout, Jul 07, 2009

DavyJones, Apr 16, 2012
4.35/5  rDev +3.1%

Reviewed from notes created on 11/16/10.

Stone IPA pours a golden-amber color with an eggshell-white, one-finger head into a hefty snifter. After the head recedes, clumpy, frothy ovals and circles of various sizes remain atop the body. Straight, sinewy lines of carbonation move fairly quickly up the sides of the glass. The lacing is great, with a mountain-esque top sguiggly line and many small dots and lines underneath.

When I smell this beer, a wild, unrestrained hop odor fills my nose. Skunk, grass, and fresh bud aromas are evident as soon as the cap is popped off of the bottle. Further delving into the scent reveals a little bit of grapefruit and orange zest to go along with the other hop aromas. A little bit of caramel and biscuit are also in the smell profile, providing a bit of balance to the unrelenting hops.

Bitter skunk, grapefruit, grass, and a certain herbal flavor pop onto my tongue at first sip. The caramel malt flavor balances out the hops in the middle of the sip, then a piney hop bitterness finished off the taste.

The mouthfeel is on the light-bodied side, but the potent hop bitterness stinging my palate makes up for that shortfall. I could use a little more creaminess and less wateriness, but this is a crisp and well carbonated feel.

This is an IPA that I really enjoy and I revisit it from time to time. I think it is a fairly session-able IPA, though the hop bitterness might crush a palate after a few bottles.

TCHopCraver, Dec 01, 2010

OhioBobcat, Sep 27, 2013

jono0101, May 18, 2013

brownbeer, Feb 14, 2014

npala86, Aug 08, 2013

xVERITAS, Nov 21, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +3.8%

A: pours the usual amber hue for a very unusual
IPA. The head is strong with consistent
lacing.

S: The smell is subdued, both slightly sweet as
well as floral.

T: Awesome. A great hop statement, not as
strong as I've come to expect from AIPA. The
flavor and hop balance are further
evidence of Stone's tendency toward
reinvention without compormising old school
standards.

M: Clean, crisp, balanced, all cliche but all
true.

D: Very drinkable AIPA, not being strong for
the sake of being strong. True artistry in
this brew.

ArrogantDeadGuy, May 14, 2009

Stone IPA 12oz. bottle.

A- Pours a nice burnt orange with hues of hops and nice half inch head. Head quickly dies down but lace retention is very thick. Note that the beginning head is still stuck to the top of glass half way though this brew.

S- Is a nice relaxing scent of grassy, floral, and earthy notes hit my nose first. This is followed by a light malty kick.

T- The taste is what makes this one a excellent session beer. Mild hop bitterness at first that smooths out at the end to a refreshing perfectly balanced finsh.

M-D- Very easy on the taste buds not one sign of anything that would offend my buds! Extra smooth finishing make this one of my choice beer to consume alot of.

Note: At 11.59 a six pack here in jax Florida its not the cheapest though.

wesbrownyeah, Apr 07, 2009

tbryan5, Mar 20, 2013
4.56/5  rDev +8.1%

GameOfBeers, Aug 18, 2014

woodchipper, Jan 20, 2013

Shakerman, Jan 08, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

ricksrealm, Jan 19, 2012
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.