1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,428 | Reviews: 2,703 | Show All Ratings:
joecast

Australia

ok, i really should be going to bed right about now. but i cant wait. and what better way to end the day, than with a stone ipa??

pours a hazy yellow, with a slight orange hue. minimal carbonation. the head actually grows as the beer is poured into the glass. finishes off reaching about an inch, and slowly settles to about a centimeter (yes!! standard and metric!!). very stable. nice lacing. lightly tanned in color. somewhat enjoyable to watch as bubbles grow and burst, only to be replaced by more, smaller bubbles.

aroma? well, it hit me before the bottle cap hit the counter top. pine, followed by some pine, and finished off by a bit of pine. seriously there could be other aspects to the aroma, but i dont care. this smell should come standard with all new cars!

bitterness adds some heat to the flavor, backed up by some biscuit maltiness. sort of reminds me of arrogant bastard, but that was a long time ago. a fullness to the hops in bitterness and flavor that is admirable. leaves a lasting impression on the palate.

mouthfeel is full, without being too filling.
good lord this is fantastic! . each sip increases the desire to take another sip. wish i had better access to other highly rated ipa's to compare this with. but until then, this will have to be: 5.0 - exceptional

06-29-2005 15:20:45 | More by joecast
Avagadro

A: Huge egg-white frothy head that lasts. This beer has a beautiful light-amber color that is crystal clear. Looks very drinkable in the glass.

S: Wow! This beer fills the room with its aroma. Limes, citrus, and pine. This brew has an incredible aroma.

T:Taste follows the aroma with a huge hop presence. Citrusyand piney from the hops, and sweet from the ethanol.

M:Medium body with slick mouthfeel. Carbonation tingles on your tongue,, a nice complement to the hoppy bitterness.

D: If I had the money, this beer would be in my house at all times. A must try.

02-02-2007 23:09:17 | More by Avagadro
2wheeledpirate

West Virginia

This is the only beer I have ever had and even thought of scoring a perfect 5. And yes, as the tips suggest, I would say with conviction that nothing could be improved in this beer. It pours a medium brown with a thin head. The nose is pure hop and the first taste backs that right up. Then the pleasant surprise is a "fruitty" pop at the back end, but the bitterness of the hops still hang around. This is "the" beer for me. The "stuck on a desert island with only one choice" beer. Try it, you will not be dissapointed.

06-13-2007 23:25:16 | More by 2wheeledpirate
giblet

purchased a 6 pack of this beer hoping that it was like the other Stone beers as far as quality.

wow!!!

i guess i did not believe that there could be a perfect beer, imo this is it. poured beautiful into my glass. nice color, excellent head, wonderful lace throughout. the aroma is knock you on your ass with a smile on your face hops and citrus. man the hops! the taste is everything the aroma promises. excellent hop with a hint of malt. nice smooth dry finish but not scrape your mouth with sandpaper dry.

this IPA is the best i have had to date. this is why i give it all fivers.

suckem up and movem out!

giblet

08-26-2007 10:16:52 | More by giblet
twade

Great IPA.It was a suggestion from a bartender at a great place in Boyertown Pa. called union jack's.It's down a dirt road and you would never expect it to be there.They have over 250 bottled beers and 25 or so on tap.I have had alot of great IPA's at this place ,but stone is my favorite.

10-26-2007 14:55:07 | More by twade
BigJim5021

Indiana

Stone's IPA ranks neck-and-neck with Bell's Two Hearted as my absolute favorite beer. The only difference between the two is availability. At any given time, I can go to numerous liquor stores (or even my own workplace) and pick up a sixer of Two Hearted. On the flipside, I can get 22 oz. bombers of Stone's IPA at something like two liquor stores on my side of town. Oh well. I guess this stuff makes for an immaculate treat.

Like Two Hearted, Stone IPA pours a hazy copper with a slightly off-white head. The lacing is all over the place.

The aroma is goddamn glorious. Floral hops out the ass. If I could get air freshener that smelled like this, I'd gladly buy a case.

The flavor reflects the smell. The floral hops are massive and bitter and Jesus tapdancing Christ, it's delicious. And like Two Hearted, there's just enough smooth maltiness to balance things out. And man, oh man, is it dry. We're talking Oscar Wilde dry here.

Mouthfeel is medium, crisp and about as good as it gets.

At 6.9%, I would still drink this stuff all night if I could just get someone around here to carry the elusive 6-packs. I can never have enough of this amazing stuff.

10-24-2008 05:09:52 | More by BigJim5021
noknife83

All bow down to the beer gods...Thank you Stone for this, this liquid poem of great beer. I wish I could put into words how much I love this beer. It is my all time favorite beer. Everything about it is great, the slight caramel taste it starts with, followed by a twinge of metallic, finishing with a slap in the face of hops...Also got to love the fact that its 6.9 abv. I love that 2 or 3 of these and I'm feeling really good...Thank you Stone...

01-17-2009 06:42:16 | More by noknife83
liquidnoise

This is my favorite beer.

Perfect mouthfeel and appearance.

Perfect hop flavor. Not too weak, not to bitter. If you like really bitter stuff, try Stone's ruination IPA or Arrogant Bastard. For me, though, this is perfect.

Also, moderately priced in the "bomber" section, especially when lined up against all the Belgians that, IMHO, don't taste as good.

Outstanding.

02-01-2009 03:01:47 | More by liquidnoise
McGIPA

must start by saying this IS my favorite IPA to date..

Have to, Have to, Have to, pour this into a mug or glass!

A - looks like heaven would look like...cloudy because of the unfiltered process (which is my favorite)
S - smells like angels - kind of piney...awesome!
T - best tasting IPA to date (at least for me) perfect in every way!
MF - great!
D- simply amazing! I need to have at least one a week to stay sane...you will not be disappointed!

05-03-2009 19:25:22 | More by McGIPA
beer348

Oregon

I started the evening with a black butte porter (bottle) -- great beer.. then I tried a Stone IPA. I had never had it before but I could tell after the first drink that it was good. Actually it was a great beer , very easy to drink . Can't wait to try it again . Wasn't as good the 2nd time.. seems more of a summer beer.

09-05-2009 08:33:28 | More by beer348
Borgs

Connecticut

Appearance: Pours with a 1-finger head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving a light layer on top & a nice lacing throughout drinking. Golden color with a slight haze

Smell: This beer smells amazing. The hops aroma flows right through you.

Taste: Tastes better than it smells.

Mouthfeel: Goes down clean with a nice hoppy finish, leaving your mouth watering after every drink.

Drinkability: Yes!

04-21-2010 01:10:04 | More by Borgs
thebrood1987

My favorite all around regular IPA hands down. I'd buy this one every single time if it wasn't so expensive for a 6 pack. I understand though why it costs so much because its really top notch, top quality beer. Many IPA's use a lot of the similar American hops but for some reason the way this is brewed it comes out very unique in its smell and flavor. I can't compare this to any other beer really. The smell is just fantastic it has a huge smell of pine and this pungent perfume citrus, floral, flowery smell. Others have said this could be a cologne for hop heads and really it could. It has that sort of a thick quality hop perfume smell to it underneath the upfront pine smell.

The taste is just like the smell hitting you with crisp refreshing hops up front a surprising bready malt quality and that famous long bitter citrus/ pine finish. It's very drinkable and probably the most refreshing IPA I've ever had without being too light bodied. If you are looking for hop bitterness this one is it. This IPA has a higher bitterness than most double/imperial IPA's... not to mention a ridiculous amount of hop flavor. I just can't say enough good things about this beer.

The hop bitterness, the bready malt and the hop pine flavor is everything you could ever ask for in this style of beer. West coast IPA's usually have this sort of pungent different smelling and tasting IPA but this one nails that unique quality of a west coast beer. The only one that I've tried that comes close is Sierra Nevada's Torpedo ale but I'd say this has a richer taste to it plus more hoppy bitterness. Thank you Greg Koch for my favorite IPA to date.

01-04-2011 04:29:19 | More by thebrood1987
FARGO619

A: Pours a clear bright straw pale with some caramel tones and a nice 1 finger frothy white head with clinging lace.

S: Smells of fruity citrus hops and a nice clean yeast profile.

T: Nice hoppy punch of citrus and pine. Well balanced with a decent caramel maltiness that carries a residual sweetness throughout each drink. Dries out the mouth with some pucker and gives off just a tad of heat.

M: Overall a light medium body and probably the only beer I can drink straight from the bottle. This is one of my favorite beers from Stone.

D: An excellent bold IPA that is incredibly smooth and quite sessionable.

Probably a standard in the American IPA category. A showcase of a very well balanced brew. Hoppy but not offensive to the palate in any way with a solid malt base to balance it out.

Serving type: bottle/ straight from the bottle and favorite flute Stone IPA glass.

06-20-2011 00:32:29 | More by FARGO619
cbonham

Colorado

Jesus what an incredible beer. After having tried (and enjoyed on several occasions) some Arrogant Bastard Ale (in a bomber no less) I purchased a 6 pack of Stone IPA for $9 today. My immediate reaction? Jesus. The pour is nothing short of beautiful. A foam head at least 1" thick comes up as soon as the beer hits the glass. The color of the beer itself appears to be the same color as honey is. The smell is definitely a lot of hops, with a strong scent of pine as well. Very, very hoppy. Taste-wise, between the intense amount of hops being present in the beer and the taste of pine and a tiny bit of grapefruit, it's one of a few beers that is actively kicking my ass. All in all, this is a beer that is automatically on my top five list.

07-26-2011 01:07:41 | More by cbonham
mreffuss

I liked this beer a lot. Looking for a good beer I'm glad I happened upon this one. I give it an A.

Appearance is a beautiful amber, nice and cloudy with a good head of foam. A robust citrus smell with a bitter taste. Not too hoppy. A fine IPA, a very enjoyable experience. I will be getting more of this asap.

09-30-2011 05:25:19 | More by mreffuss
Intrinsic

Germany

I'd like to start off by saying this is my favourite beer in the world, so if you're looking for an objective opinion, keep looking.

Stone IPA pours a golden straw colour, almost perfectly clear with a healthy head and very respectable lacing. The smell is completely dominated by the hops, but its so much more than that. Citrus and pine tones are mixed with an ever-so-slight maltiness to form the perfect bouquet. The taste is, well, incredible. The most intensely piney hops I've ever tasted in a beer (not including Ruination of course) are somehow balanced up front with the malt they've chosen. The aftertaste is almost just as intense and it's quite dry. Overall, I've already said it. A perfect example of an American IPA, and a perfect beer.

01-28-2012 02:32:02 | More by Intrinsic
davidsumner

This is my favorite IPA and a goto beer for me.

Pour - excellent voluminous, frothy pour; leaving a gorgeous three finger, frothy, sea foam head.

Appearance - Very nice, clear amber. Lacing is outstanding.

Nose - The nose is not powerful, but does bring up a nice light grapefruit/pine/resin scent.

Taste - Yummy. Not thick and or over the top; but rather a perfect balance. Ruby Red grapefruit juice, pine resin, yummy sweet malt.

Finish - perfect. Bitter, long lasting, citrus sour.

This is truly a world class beer.

03-13-2014 19:43:24 | More by davidsumner
RppIII

District of Columbia

Appearance: This beer was served in a 16-ounce pint glass. When poured from the tap a handsome, ivory white head formed the width of two fingers and held steadfast for a delightfully pleasant amount of time, which allowed me to fully immerse myself in the consumption of this divine nectar.

Smell: At first, one might assume that the aroma emanating from the beer is just like every other IPA they have ever had and they would be utterly and completely correct! There is so much complexity in the odour of this beer but it still has been crafted with an uncanny sense of refinement. These guys knew what they were doing; so much so that they bottled it and sold it and the rest is history.

At first you get hops, beautiful hops, spicy hops, earthy hops, piney hops, fruity hops. Mostly, hops….

Taste: The taste of this beer is utterly and perfectly sublime. The hops, much like greed in the politics of today, been ubiquitous throughout every aspect of this beer and the flavour factor is no different (77 IBUs!). Think of this beer as a massive earthquake formed deep in the ocean that generates a tsunami with each subsequent after-shock continuing to create wave after wave for a significant period of time.

Immediately, your mouth puckers and is slammed with a tidal wall of spicy hop flavours (thank God for the colonization of India and the invention of dry-hopping). After the initial onslaught, the aftershocks, while not quite as intense, come in waves of varied hop flavour for several minutes after the first drink. As the spice begins to give way, there is a sense of floral earthy flavours, and a hint of citrus, a beautiful creation, indeed.

Let’s not forget the little guys who make this whole process possible, our yeast or Saccharomyces cerevisiae give a tremendous finale, imparting their own unique flavours amongst the hop invasion. The malt is in perfect harmony with the hop characteristic, moderately sweet in comparison to the hops.

Mouth-feel: The feel of this beer as it is consumed should not be compared to a tsunami nor an earthquake but to that of a baby’s bottom. While I have never actually felt the aforesaid, I have heard tale of the unequaled smoothness of such and this beer is no different, smooth. In fact, it is absolutely the smoothest liquid I have ever consumed. The finish leaves your feeling like you just spent the day wandering in the desert but at 6.9 ABV that is expected.

Drinkability: Many a night I have slumbered yearning for just such a beer and, seemingly as a phantom, this beer, doesn’t seem real. The Holy Grail, seemingly something not quite attainable for any brewmaster, those Arrogant Bastards at Stone must have found the chalice and used it in the crafiting of this beer. It is addictive and their creation continues to haunt my palate every second I deny myself of it. Simply put, once consumed it will consume you.

Served on tap from Kilted Mermaid of Vero Beach, FL for a price of $4

04-09-2012 02:58:11 | More by RppIII
acevenom

Louisiana

Poured into a pint glass. Pours hazy golden with an abundant, fluffy white head that retains well. As the beer was consumed, there was still plenty of head left on top as well as abundant lacing down the glass. The aroma is of sweet malts as well as plenty of pine and citrus from the hops. It's a very bright and inviting smell. The flavor is fantastic. The big malty sweetness is balanced by big hop flavors. The citrus flavors accompany the sweetness into the mouth while the piney bitterness hits the back end. It's incredibly well balanced. The body of this beer is medium to full and the carbonation is adequate. The beer coats the mouth really well. Overall, this is an incredible beer. This should be the gold standard for this style. Stone hit a home run with this beer.

04-15-2012 16:43:10 | More by acevenom
Stevebo

Alabama

I thought I had drank beer, but then I had a Stone IPA. Now it is the staple beer in my refrigerator. The beer has the perfect amount of hop bitterness that I was missing in regular beers. When you open the bottle the pine smell and aroma makes you know your drinking something special. Definitely my favorite beer.

12-13-2012 21:34:32 | More by Stevebo
mevett89

Maryland

Appearance: clear golden body with a nice-sized fluffy white head. The head has nice retention and decent lacing.

Smell: crisp; of bitter hops but with some sweetness in there too.

Taste: quite bitter, with a bit of a metallic taste to it. Citrus, but more pine profile. The crackery malt is almost an afterthought, but manages to balance out the hops well.

Mouth Feel: crisp and refreshing, with lower carbonation. Sticks to your tongue.

Overall: No doubt about it, this is a well-made IPA. It is on the bitter side of the style, and is a tasty and refreshing beer.

02-07-2013 23:37:28 | More by mevett89
Bernardkowalski

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

02-17-2013 00:40:19 | More by Bernardkowalski
Ilovelampandbeer

everyone has their beer that suits their palate best for a given style...stone and their ipa is my perfection..dont want this glass to end

perfect appearance-golden with a frothy white head-stupid amounts of lacing

smells how an ipa should smell-citrus and hops all day, so pungent in this brew

taste is off the charts- such a treat that this beer is widely available

great mouthfeel- right amount of carbonation to carry the flavor

overall- the perfect american ipa

10-11-2013 05:16:43 | More by Ilovelampandbeer
Robjm1987

Connecticut

Perfect hoppy, mix of pine and lemon. My favorite IPA by far, west coast has it.

SERVING: TAP AND BOTTLE. I prefer tap.
Appearance: Golden with white top
Smell: Piney, strong hoppy.
Taste: Zesty, with lemon plenty of hops.
Mouthfeel: Crisp, refreshing.
Perfect IPA.

04-13-2014 14:15:49 | More by Robjm1987
thegodfather1076

4.98/5  rDev +17.5%

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Stone label and artwork are just the coolest. Label is painted or embossed not sure which. Gives it top notch feel and look.

Appearance - Pours out a golden yellow/orange color with surprisingly dense 2 finger white foam head. Head retention is about average, sticking around for about a minute before dissipating into an airy foam covering. Leaves excellent lacing.

Smell - Smell is truly amazing. A HUGE aroma! Smells of strong citrus hops with hints of tropical fruit. IMO, falls more on the Piney hop side than the floral hop side. Very faint hints of malt scent throughout.

Taste - Taste is just as amazing as the smell. A malty start gives way to intense hop flavors. The combination of citrus/piney/sweet tropical fruit-like hop bitterness is amazing!

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Starts off very crisp before turning smooth slightly creamy on the back end.

Drinkability - Smell/taste/mouthfeel combo make this extremely drinkable. Cant just have one!

Best IPA that I have ever had and one of the best beer I have ever had PERIOD! One of the few beer that made me say "Oh MY" when I had the pleasure of trying it. As good as this is out of the bottle, I had the joy of trying this fresh when I visited Stone while out in San Diego in the Summer of 2011 and its even better!!! A real treat! Worth the little extra $$$$ IMO!!!

04-29-2012 21:43:09 | More by thegodfather1076
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.