Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,876 | Hads: 10,224

purchased a 6 pack of this beer hoping that it was like the other Stone beers as far as quality.

i guess i did not believe that there could be a perfect beer, imo this is it. poured beautiful into my glass. nice color, excellent head, wonderful lace throughout. the aroma is knock you on your ass with a smile on your face hops and citrus. man the hops! the taste is everything the aroma promises. excellent hop with a hint of malt. nice smooth dry finish but not scrape your mouth with sandpaper dry.

this IPA is the best i have had to date. this is why i give it all fivers.

suckem up and movem out!

I liked this beer a lot. Looking for a good beer I'm glad I happened upon this one. I give it an A.

Appearance is a beautiful amber, nice and cloudy with a good head of foam. A robust citrus smell with a bitter taste. Not too hoppy. A fine IPA, a very enjoyable experience. I will be getting more of this asap.

Absolutely one of my favorite beers!! honestly can go good with anything, but you are better off enjoying this beer by itself. it has so much too offer, such great combination between the yeast and malt's making this an outstanding brew. you can put this on my list of top beers.

A: Huge egg-white frothy head that lasts. This beer has a beautiful light-amber color that is crystal clear. Looks very drinkable in the glass.

S: Wow! This beer fills the room with its aroma. Limes, citrus, and pine. This brew has an incredible aroma.

T:Taste follows the aroma with a huge hop presence. Citrusyand piney from the hops, and sweet from the ethanol.

M:Medium body with slick mouthfeel. Carbonation tingles on your tongue,, a nice complement to the hoppy bitterness.

D: If I had the money, this beer would be in my house at all times. A must try.

Appearance: This beer was served in a 16-ounce pint glass. When poured from the tap a handsome, ivory white head formed the width of two fingers and held steadfast for a delightfully pleasant amount of time, which allowed me to fully immerse myself in the consumption of this divine nectar.

Smell: At first, one might assume that the aroma emanating from the beer is just like every other IPA they have ever had and they would be utterly and completely correct! There is so much complexity in the odour of this beer but it still has been crafted with an uncanny sense of refinement. These guys knew what they were doing; so much so that they bottled it and sold it and the rest is history.

At first you get hops, beautiful hops, spicy hops, earthy hops, piney hops, fruity hops. Mostly, hops….

Taste: The taste of this beer is utterly and perfectly sublime. The hops, much like greed in the politics of today, been ubiquitous throughout every aspect of this beer and the flavour factor is no different (77 IBUs!). Think of this beer as a massive earthquake formed deep in the ocean that generates a tsunami with each subsequent after-shock continuing to create wave after wave for a significant period of time.

Immediately, your mouth puckers and is slammed with a tidal wall of spicy hop flavours (thank God for the colonization of India and the invention of dry-hopping). After the initial onslaught, the aftershocks, while not quite as intense, come in waves of varied hop flavour for several minutes after the first drink. As the spice begins to give way, there is a sense of floral earthy flavours, and a hint of citrus, a beautiful creation, indeed.

Let’s not forget the little guys who make this whole process possible, our yeast or Saccharomyces cerevisiae give a tremendous finale, imparting their own unique flavours amongst the hop invasion. The malt is in perfect harmony with the hop characteristic, moderately sweet in comparison to the hops.

Mouth-feel: The feel of this beer as it is consumed should not be compared to a tsunami nor an earthquake but to that of a baby’s bottom. While I have never actually felt the aforesaid, I have heard tale of the unequaled smoothness of such and this beer is no different, smooth. In fact, it is absolutely the smoothest liquid I have ever consumed. The finish leaves your feeling like you just spent the day wandering in the desert but at 6.9 ABV that is expected.

Drinkability: Many a night I have slumbered yearning for just such a beer and, seemingly as a phantom, this beer, doesn’t seem real. The Holy Grail, seemingly something not quite attainable for any brewmaster, those Arrogant Bastards at Stone must have found the chalice and used it in the crafiting of this beer. It is addictive and their creation continues to haunt my palate every second I deny myself of it. Simply put, once consumed it will consume you.

Served on tap from Kilted Mermaid of Vero Beach, FL for a price of $4

Great IPA.It was a suggestion from a bartender at a great place in Boyertown Pa. called union jack's.It's down a dirt road and you would never expect it to be there.They have over 250 bottled beers and 25 or so on tap.I have had alot of great IPA's at this place ,but stone is my favorite.

must start by saying this IS my favorite IPA to date..

Have to, Have to, Have to, pour this into a mug or glass!

A - looks like heaven would look like...cloudy because of the unfiltered process (which is my favorite)
S - smells like angels - kind of piney...awesome!
T - best tasting IPA to date (at least for me) perfect in every way!
MF - great!
D- simply amazing! I need to have at least one a week to stay sane...you will not be disappointed!

Poured into a pint glass. Pours hazy golden with an abundant, fluffy white head that retains well. As the beer was consumed, there was still plenty of head left on top as well as abundant lacing down the glass. The aroma is of sweet malts as well as plenty of pine and citrus from the hops. It's a very bright and inviting smell. The flavor is fantastic. The big malty sweetness is balanced by big hop flavors. The citrus flavors accompany the sweetness into the mouth while the piney bitterness hits the back end. It's incredibly well balanced. The body of this beer is medium to full and the carbonation is adequate. The beer coats the mouth really well. Overall, this is an incredible beer. This should be the gold standard for this style. Stone hit a home run with this beer.

This is my favorite beer.

Perfect mouthfeel and appearance.

Perfect hop flavor. Not too weak, not to bitter. If you like really bitter stuff, try Stone's ruination IPA or Arrogant Bastard. For me, though, this is perfect.

Also, moderately priced in the "bomber" section, especially when lined up against all the Belgians that, IMHO, don't taste as good.

Jesus what an incredible beer. After having tried (and enjoyed on several occasions) some Arrogant Bastard Ale (in a bomber no less) I purchased a 6 pack of Stone IPA for $9 today. My immediate reaction? Jesus. The pour is nothing short of beautiful. A foam head at least 1" thick comes up as soon as the beer hits the glass. The color of the beer itself appears to be the same color as honey is. The smell is definitely a lot of hops, with a strong scent of pine as well. Very, very hoppy. Taste-wise, between the intense amount of hops being present in the beer and the taste of pine and a tiny bit of grapefruit, it's one of a few beers that is actively kicking my ass. All in all, this is a beer that is automatically on my top five list.

I thought I had drank beer, but then I had a Stone IPA. Now it is the staple beer in my refrigerator. The beer has the perfect amount of hop bitterness that I was missing in regular beers. When you open the bottle the pine smell and aroma makes you know your drinking something special. Definitely my favorite beer.

I started the evening with a black butte porter (bottle) -- great beer.. then I tried a Stone IPA. I had never had it before but I could tell after the first drink that it was good. Actually it was a great beer , very easy to drink . Can't wait to try it again . Wasn't as good the 2nd time.. seems more of a summer beer.

A: Pours a clear bright straw pale with some caramel tones and a nice 1 finger frothy white head with clinging lace.

S: Smells of fruity citrus hops and a nice clean yeast profile.

T: Nice hoppy punch of citrus and pine. Well balanced with a decent caramel maltiness that carries a residual sweetness throughout each drink. Dries out the mouth with some pucker and gives off just a tad of heat.

M: Overall a light medium body and probably the only beer I can drink straight from the bottle. This is one of my favorite beers from Stone.

D: An excellent bold IPA that is incredibly smooth and quite sessionable.

Probably a standard in the American IPA category. A showcase of a very well balanced brew. Hoppy but not offensive to the palate in any way with a solid malt base to balance it out.

Serving type: bottle/ straight from the bottle and favorite flute Stone IPA glass.

4.99/5  rDev +18%

Poor - From a 12oz bottle - Nice frothy poor. Nice 2 finger frothy head that settles down to a thin top lining. Very nice lacing.

Appearance - Nice 24k gold/amber. Nice haze, no particles. A Gorgeous beer. Not a lot of carbonation.

Nose - Beautiful nose. Not huge like some DIPA's, but very nice nonetheless. Dank, tropical, pine, resin, citrus. Very nice.

Mouthfeel - Nice medium body, Not fizzy, dry and crisp. Very easy drinking.

Taste - Loads of spice; nutmeg, ginger, cardamon and clove. Very nice sweet malt backbone, but not too much. And of course tons of hop bitterness. Might as well just be chewing on some hops; Sour, bitter, herbaceous, piney and resiny.

Finish - When closer to room temperature, there is an actual crystallized sugar/malt on the finish and taste. This is a personal distinction I've made about this beer only. The main reason that keeps me coming back to this one over and over. The finish is long and delicious. Sweet/sour on sides of tongue and nice granny smith sour on the back of the throat. Overall a lasting sour lemon.

Overall - This is my double IPA. I'm not a double IPA drinker, they are all too over the top for my personal taste. I also don't like a total grapefruit bomb. This definitely has a little grapefruit but not ALL grapefruit. All in all just a juicy, dank, piney, delicious IPA. This one of my all time favorite beers.

Food pairings - hot red curry. Pizza with sardines, Clam bake with chorizo sausage, Spicy Mongolian, and most especially without a doubt mussels and pasta in red pepper and garlic sauce.

4.98/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured from a Bomber into a Pint Glass.
Aroma- A knockout of hops, floral essence, citrus and grass.
Appearance- Poured a copper to amber color with a large white head.
Taste- A fantastic flavor! Citrus and hops perfectly balanced.
Palate- A medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation, nice dry finish.
Overall-A world class IPA. This is the gold standard for IPAs.

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

On-Tap at Dilly Deli poured into a pint. Reviews based off notes.

A: Pours golden orange and coppery. 1+ finger head that reduces and stays at about a 1/4 inch. Patchy lacing.

S: Strong floral hops and fresh piney scent. Makes my mouth water thinking about whats coming. Alcohol stays hidden nicely. Slight nutty malt aroma peeks through toward the end.

T/M: Strong peppery spices and amazing hop bitterness. I love this in bottles but its AMAZING on top. Getting a piney/sappy bite. Nutty, buttery malts show their face just before the end. Medium body that turns slightly creamy at the malts and finishes bone dry.

D: If I hadn't had a big lunch, I would probably have to stop after 2 or so, but I could really drink this for quite awhile before experiencing palate fatigue. Extremely tasty and easy to drink. Without a doubt one of my favor brews.

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

A beautiful frickin' beer no matter how you slice it, on tap this absolutely kills.

Above most any Stone beer I've experienced the maltiness is damned divine: doughy, gooey, in the forefront.

But the malt isn't what makes this beer so sublime: its the hops, man. Citrusy nose only hints at the spectacular overload you'll get on the first sip. Wicked hop burps like this was pulled out of the tanks yesterday.

Wow. I forgot how damned good this beer is. Blew SNCA out of the water in a side-by-side tasting.

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

This is the best IPA in a bottle that I have tasted so far. It is very hoppy, simply delicious. I am happy to report that now it is available at Costcos for $25.99 a case (at least in the Torrance, CA Costco.) Bought 2 cases and now I'm happy.(9-10-2011)

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Appearance-big headed goodness comes out of the bottle, light color head booms up but remarkably settles afterwards into the glass, good looking beer.

Smell-hoppy as all get out, alcohol is totally hidden by hoppiness no other aromas to speak of, smells like it was just brewed a second ago.

Taste/Mouthfeel-amazing, easy drinking, substantial hop flavor but no burn or rashness, balanced with a dash of malt, maintains a light texture but still substantial. Even those who don't like hoppy beers or are just starting on them would probably like this.

Drinkability-easy to drink, clean finish except for a small trace of hops, just how you would want to do it, 7% alcohol for those who don't know.

Overall-Simply put one of the best IPAs I've ever had, it's taken me forever to try Stone beers and now that I've had one I can't wait to try more. Astoundingly good.

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Stone label and artwork are just the coolest. Label is painted or embossed not sure which. Gives it top notch feel and look.

Appearance - Pours out a golden yellow/orange color with surprisingly dense 2 finger white foam head. Head retention is about average, sticking around for about a minute before dissipating into an airy foam covering. Leaves excellent lacing.

Smell - Smell is truly amazing. A HUGE aroma! Smells of strong citrus hops with hints of tropical fruit. IMO, falls more on the Piney hop side than the floral hop side. Very faint hints of malt scent throughout.

Taste - Taste is just as amazing as the smell. A malty start gives way to intense hop flavors. The combination of citrus/piney/sweet tropical fruit-like hop bitterness is amazing!

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Starts off very crisp before turning smooth slightly creamy on the back end.

Drinkability - Smell/taste/mouthfeel combo make this extremely drinkable. Cant just have one!

Best IPA that I have ever had and one of the best beer I have ever had PERIOD! One of the few beer that made me say "Oh MY" when I had the pleasure of trying it. As good as this is out of the bottle, I had the joy of trying this fresh when I visited Stone while out in San Diego in the Summer of 2011 and its even better!!! A real treat! Worth the little extra $$$$ IMO!!!

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Stone IPA is by far one of the finest india pale ales that I have ever had. It has the heavy hops one comes to expect from an IPA, but it's smooth and far less abrasive than other brewers takes on IPA. It's a drag that you can't get Stone in Illinois, but well worth the drive to pick up a few bombers.

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Another brilliant brew from Stone. Pours a hazy amber color with a frothy white head. This beer is dominated by hops but is balanced out by a sweetness that doesn't make it too bitter. Not as good as their Ruination IPA but excellent for a single IPA.

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Pablo Piccaso would have trouble crafting a masterpiece such as this. The stiff white cream head finishes off this brew as you'd imagine a master chef with a perfect garnish would. Nose is massive pine, followed by a mix of grapefruit and caramel. I have to be honest, the smell is as devine as any beer lover could hope. Taste is a tour of hops ...pine, graprefruit, lemon, peach and finally caramel. This is probably the perfect IPA. Mouthfeel is suitably creamy and drinkablility is near perfect. A rugged yet sessionable beer that everyone with any sense will respect. Thank you Stone!

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

In most styles of beer I take a standard somewhat generic beer and I hold all others to it. The APA for example is best shown by seirra nevada. I'd never call that a great beer, it's average in most of its efforts. With IPA's I used ot judge them to dogfish head 60 minute but stone ipa honestly is easier to get and all IPAs end up being graded down because they aren't stone.

The nose is other worldly, served in a stone iPA glass the nose is just breath taking. Floral, fruity, spicy, piny, and hell if I could have this as a perfume I'd buy it for all the ladies. This is the best smelling beer I've ever been with.

The appearance is cloudy off yellow/copper, an unimpressive head on this pour but normally it does far better. Leaves a decent but not amazing lacing. Not much carbonation.

I'm an atheist, but this beer makes me want to thank god for the taste. It's citrus, crispy, with malt COMPLETELY in the back seat but at the same time perfectly complementing the hops.

Look, I've given beers 5's before. This beer is the best beer I've ever had when I really truly sit back and judge fairly. I can't give the appearance a 5 though...again a flaw in the bro's scores. Many beers have exceptional qualities. This beer in many places is perfection...and there is no 6 to give.

In the quest to try every beer on the planet one often forgets about the easy to find and cheaper offerings. Well IPA lovers...there is no better staple. There is no beer I come back to as often and trust me I've got about 40 different beers in the fridge...this one will be bought again before all of those are even sampled.

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Appearance: Light orange clean tint

Head: Big frosty white head that stays for the length of the beer

Smell: A nice bright Citric and grapefruit on the nose

Taste: Sweet malts with a very subtle citric hop

Weight: Light body with a low to medium carbonation

Finish: Nice bitterness creeps in and soaks into the palate with a little stickiness on the lips

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.