2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,470 | Reviews: 2,706 | Show All Ratings:
QXSTER1

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Massive hops aroma assaults the senses after pouring this appealing amber brew. Puts other IPA's into another category.
The nose says all hops the taste says big, grainy, caramel malt underlying the big time Pacific Northwest hop profile. The hops are so flavorful, bitterness doesn't really come to mind. The citric, piney adjectives don't seem to capture all the different complexities available in this brew. Anyone who loves hops and thinks they've had it all should try this beer.

10-20-2002 10:44:39 | More by QXSTER1
elmocoso

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

I don't know if it was just happened to be the context of last night, but this beer was nearly perfect. A beautiful brownish gold with and off-white head, consisting of loose, bulbous bubbles.

The aroma was exelent, too. A great blend of hops and malt and floral and citrus. It literaly made my mouth water.

Then the taste. Man, the sweetness of the malt enveloped the tongue, and then a blanket of bitterness charmed its way into all the corners of my mouth. The carb level was perfect and the whole experience was one I will difinitly repeat.

Drink. Enjoy. Repeat.
This should be on every bottle.

Cheers

09-05-2003 15:54:05 | More by elmocoso
Stubbie1

Connecticut

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

This beauty from Stone pours a deep orange color. A white head reached the top and left spotty lacing to the end of my beer. The aroma is a mixture of pine and citrus. Neither one overpowering the other, but making a nice mixture of the two. It is a fresh, crisp aroma with a hint of malt in the back ground. The taste is the aroma to a “T”. A floral rush of hops and a slight hint of malt, then a bitter after taste. A good bitter not a bad one, got to love that dry hopping thing! The hops cover any hint of alcohol in this brew, which makes it very drinkable and enjoyable to boot! Another great product from stone.

12-15-2003 18:16:18 | More by Stubbie1
palliko

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

This is a complex beer! A lovely copper-red color, a cream colored head, a lasting lace work on the glass, great humor on the bottle, massive grapefruit-rind hops, aromatic esters, a medium-light bodied ale, rich flavor, nicely malted, slightly sweet toasty flavors, followed by a dry knockout perfect bitter finish. Perhaps too strong for some, maybe not a session beer, but MAN! is this fantastic beer.

01-14-2004 18:44:22 | More by palliko
RockyTopHeel

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Tasted at the Pop the Cap Winter Warmer Event, 1/31 at Tyler's.

I take pretty fondly to Stone's brews--that much is apparent. But what should I expect from one of their lesser-hyped, not quite monster brews?

The answer, I found out, is pure excellence.

Stone IPA poured a bold golden color with orange hues and a thin, quickly disappearing white head. The powerful floral aroma is detectable from more than a foot away, as pure hops brilliance dances into my nostrils.

This is a gorgeous beer. It has the perfect balance of hop bitterness, floral hop sweetness, and overall crispness, as well as true depth in an IPA. With every sip, I discovered a new, brilliant element. Simply awesome.

Bar none, this is the best IPA I've ever had. Wow.

02-01-2004 01:16:52 | More by RockyTopHeel
smcolw

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Golden in color, slightly cloudy in clarity, this brew lent itself to an awesome two-finger, cream colored head. The aroma is excellently balanced between the flowery (not bitter) hop and the coy, slightly sweet malt. Interestingly, this beer tasted opposite of most--the hop was up front followed by malt. The beer was balanced throughout the tasting.

This is a full body ale with wonderful carbonation. This may be the best IPA I've ever enjoyed. I am drawn to getting another even though I prefer variety.

02-01-2004 03:37:30 | More by smcolw
goodheflover1280

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

This is my favorite IPA. I love this stuff. The appearance is a clear, light amber color. The smell is beautiful, those flowery hops coming through nicely. The taste...right on for an IPA. It leaves that trademark bitterness on the back of your tongue. The mouthfeel is crisp, clean, refreshing. I like mine nice and cold, a perfect summer brew. The alcohol content is masked nicely, and the drinkability is good. This beer was my first IPA, and I've loved it ever since.

06-23-2004 20:22:27 | More by goodheflover1280
bigchris1313

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

The appearance? It's beautiful. Somewhere past yellow, but not quite orangish either.

Smell? Smells delicious. Hops and spice. Some sort of spice.

Taste? Hops + spice = Godlike. I love this beer. It just tastes incredible. It's this hoppy, spicy *thing* I just adore.

Feel? It actually feels like something. Not too airy, but not as thick as a porter.

Drinkability? This brew tastes so good that I could drink it until I got tired of life. I truly believe it tastes that good. Again, it all comes from the taste. Which actually comes from the smell...

Anyhow, in conclusion, it's my new favorite beer. If God were to choose a beer, He'd choose the Stone IPA. I firmly believe that.

08-01-2004 00:27:22 | More by bigchris1313
rodrot

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

This has to be the tastiest IPA I've ever had, and the most balanced. Floral hops hit you as soon as you pop the top off the bottle. The taste is resiny, and floral with a solid malt backing. This beer is too easy to drink at nearly 7% abv. I could see myself drinking 3 or 4 of these at one sitting. Definitely recommended.

09-22-2005 21:08:09 | More by rodrot
12vUnion

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Mmmmm....probably the best IPA I've ever run across. Everything about it makes me tingle. My girlfriend is laughing at me right now as I make full, sensual love to this beer with every one of my senses. The bottle is gorgeous. Standard brown bottle with a wonderful screen painted label. These men delight in their craft. So do I.

It pops with a little his, letting me know there's a little carbonation waiting for me. That little tease. Sweat drips down the bottle. I can hear it calling for me without it saying a word.

She tips over. She has a full body. Golden like sunflowers with a hint of dark mystery about her. She stands there waiting for me. A beautiful head on top a slick body. She's wearing nothing but a little lace around her stem. Shhh...you're making my girlfriend jealous.

She smells like everything I ever could have wanted. Strong citrus with a little floral scent on the way out. She smells sweet as an orange. I can't take the anticipation any longer. I seize her and bring her close to me. I take a little gasp before diving in.

She's a little bubbly. She tickles me ever so slightly. But over all...she smooth, real smooth. A buxom beauty to the end. She's got a great, full body that I can't get enough of. Sweet, hoppy. Thick and spicy. She's a party till the end. I can't take my lips off her.

We are talking about a beer here. So I don't feel dirty closing this with "down she goes."

09-25-2005 05:03:55 | More by 12vUnion
Terp96

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

By far my favorite of all time and I finally had a chance to have it on tap at the Flying Saucer, Addison, TX (for $2.50 no less). What's not to like?

The appearance is gold in a pint glass for more reasons than one. A deep golden-orange hue to be exact. Very tight, one finger head with great lacing throughout the glass.

Smell is perfect and everything I happen to look for in and IPA. Piney, flowers, citrus; it's all in there. So much so you can't wait to take a sip.

Tastes perfect as well. The nose really adds to the experience. At first, you think this is going to be a hop bomb with minimal malt character but not so fast. The malty sweetness follows shortly behind and lingers through the bitter-dry but sweet finish. So complex.

Mouthfeel is great for the first two beers you have. Much more and the hops begin to paralyze your tast buds. This isn't even Ruination. I seem to be tasting this for hours after the fact and in a good way.

Drinkability is strong as well but after you have your ability to taste much of anything after a couple of these, you get half of a point deducted. Still, I would keep going on principal and at $2.50 a pint, why not?

I can't readily get this one in MD. However, it is the one beer I genuinely seek out when I travel.

12-18-2005 14:39:31 | More by Terp96
DaggerEyes

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured out of a lovely 12 oz painted brown bottle into a pint glass.

Stone's IPA poured a sticky amber with golden accents. A small head rose up after a slightly hard poor but dissapated rather quickly leaving a thin "soapy" film coating the top of the beer and some faint lace stuck to the walls of the glass.

The nose on this is aggresively hoppy with hints almost a piney aroma to it, and faint citrus scents way in the back

The taste is extremly bold and refreshingly unique for a pale ale... Spicey on the front of the tongue with a powerful ammount of carbonation this beer finishes very crisp and clean.

Extremely exciting mouthfeel. Medium bodied with heavy carbonation in the front and a smooth exit.

A total pleasure to drink and a unique pale ale, that doesn't break the mold per se but sure does stretch one's personal definition of what the tastes of a pale ale are.

03-21-2006 00:11:31 | More by DaggerEyes
ReDave

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

This is my "standard" beer. The Vons (grocery store) has been stocking this regularly, and is on sale occasionally, so i always have several bottles on hand. In the past sierra nevada pale ale, and back when bridalveil was being bottled, either of those were my stock beer, no longer.
this is a great beer!

04-01-2006 04:50:22 | More by ReDave
MLegendre

Oregon

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

A: Pours a light orange with a huge white, thick 3" head that disapates very slowly, leaving a decent amount of lacing. I'm not kidding when I say thick, this thing looks like bubble bath. It almost started flowing out of my glass and I even stopped pouring early. Very impressive. Quite a few little bubbles can be seen racing to the top.

S: Very stong smell of sweet fruitiness and lots and lots of piney hops.

T: This is a very aggressivly hopped beer. There is a little bit of sweetness in the first taste, but it is immidiatly overtaken by the hops and dosn't come back. The piney hops are there from begining to end and even in the aftertaste, although the aftertaste didn't linger very long which kind of surprised me.

M: Extremely smooth, small bubbles rapidly dance on the tongue while you take in the flavor. Goes down very easy.

D: This is a damn good IPA and very easy to drink. It goes down so smooth and taste so good I'm tempted to chug it like Gatorade. This is the essential summer beer. Tasty and very thirst quenching. I couldn't ask for more in a beer.

07-27-2006 05:50:44 | More by MLegendre
Manosbeeroffate

Maine

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

From a great trade with IntriqKen, thanks!! Pours a deep amber reddish color with a small head. Smells hoppy and sweet, nice combo. Great hoppy taste, very nice combo of citrus and pine with still some malt sweetness too. Overall I am impressed and wish that I could find Stone up here in Maine (just may have to go to Mass. this weekend.)

11-03-2006 12:47:44 | More by Manosbeeroffate
oelergud

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Beautiful copper semitransparent body with a huge white head rocky and fluffy. Great lace and moderate retention.
Delicious hoppy caramel scent topped with flowers and light hay. Mellow mild malt, butter and spice.
Up front mild malts quickly followed by a rough hop rush filled with complexity of hay, grass and flowers. Aftertaste is long lived and spiked hoppy malt, very well balanced.
Thick, slick and smooth put still prickling the tongue.
So very delicious and gone way too fast.

-Oelergud

12-26-2006 23:57:17 | More by oelergud
evolbob

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

I've longed for Stone for some time. An unexpected business trip to San Francisco gave me the opportunity to pick up the IPA and a couple of other Stone brews from BevMo to bring back to Georgia and enjoy. Enjoy I am! Poured from a 22 oz brown bottle, with the cool Gargoyle that "wards off modern day evil spirits" painted on bottle, into my new Sam Adams glass. This IPA is one outstanding brew for my taste. The hops are there but do not over-power my palate. The brew has the expected floral, grapefruit impact one would expect from an IPA. Do not have the lingering bitter taste and oily mouth-feel that I sometimes experience with other beers of the same type. The alcohol is faintly noticeable but masked well. Everything that I have read about Stone is true! I could drink this magnificent brew until I fell off the couch! Wish I had more than 2 bottles of the IPA ;( Wish I could get this in Georgia!!!

09-23-2007 23:03:28 | More by evolbob
TheodorHerzl

Indiana

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a light golden hue with a huge two fingered head that leaves sheets of lacing on my pint glass. A fantastic floral bouquet filled with scents of citrus fruit, sweet malt, and a second dose of grapefruit scent just to make sure you know the hops are in your face. It smells like I have fistfuls of hops cones. The taste is really impressive with the citrus, floral, sweet malt, and bold hop character playing off each other and never really dominating each other. The flavor profile just melts together on your palate and makes for a nice drinking experience. This beer is medium bodied with medium carbination. Alcohol is very well hidden and I didn't really ever notice it. This beer is highly drinkable and should be on the list to try for all hop lovers.

Well done Stone, and I award you with always having a sixer in my fridge of this tasty brew.

12-31-2007 00:12:55 | More by TheodorHerzl
jph424

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Thanks to BirdsVsWorms for this one:

A - Poured a beautiful copper color with a 3 finger white head that has great retention and left peaks

S - Whoa, can smell a huge hop aroma right when I opened the bottle. All I pick up is straight floral hops

T - This is a delicious balanced hoppy IPA. I love this beer!

M - Medium bodied with very light carbonation

D - This one is so very drinkable. I could drink these all day

Excellent beer that I really wish we had here in Georgia.

02-22-2008 23:44:02 | More by jph424
rgb2807

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

The color is light orange. This IPA is a winner, it's bitter but the malt comes through oh so nicely. Some nice citrus flavors come through with the hops. The balance is amazing, I freaking love this beer. The only problem is it's a little pricey on the east coast. Check out the Arrogant Bastard Strong Ale as well. This is a close 2nd in my favorite IPA (first is smuttynose). SO freaking drinkable, I could drink this all night, which might be a little dangerous.

03-27-2008 06:49:12 | More by rgb2807
beerman21

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Great IPA much more drinkable then celebration ale. Golden in appearence nice head rentation when poured aggressivly. Very sticky. smell is very nice prototypical extreme IPA. Spicy hops, grapefruit, pinnapple, kind of a medicinal sent. Taste is spicy hops and fruit. Warms you up pretty good half way through consumption. recommended IPA and i would go as far as saying its just a little bit better then celebration due to its drinkablity.

01-08-2009 00:28:36 | More by beerman21
iuhoosier336

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

What a great IPA. Poured from a bottle into a normal pint glass. The color is a light yellow, good head that remains, two fingers.

The smell is of hops and of slight citrus. The taste is earthy and very hoppy. Then the malt followed by the citrus. The hops in this one taste great. Good carbonation.

This is one great IPA and is it ever drinkable. A six could be gone by the end of the night easily but then I'd be unhappy without my Stones.

04-01-2009 03:41:13 | More by iuhoosier336
PeterLemonjello

Alabama

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Fantastic IPA. Great example of the style.

Appearance is a golden pale. Nice head and solid lacing

Smell is hops, hops, hops. Citrus dominate with some pine and floral hints.

Taste is hoppy, citrus, floral, bitter. Great balance between bittering hops and flavor hops. Finish isn't sweet but there is a dry malt flavor on the very back end.

Mouthfeel is very nice.

Drinkability is terrific if you are a fan of the style. If you don't like IPA's..this one isn't for you.

Great beer. It's simplistic: hops are hops and malts are malts. Not overly complex but everything is in perfect balance allowing one to enjoy this fine beer in all it's glory. Well done.

04-15-2009 03:38:17 | More by PeterLemonjello
obywan59

12 oz. bottle.

A somewhat tentative pour gave me only a finger and a half head and only moderate lacing. Golden in color and slightly cloudy but transparent. On the 2nd pour I went for broke and had to pause for a minute till I could get the last 2 swallows into the glass. 3 1/2 finger head in my pint glass.

A blast of hops after popping the cap that's almost as good as sex. Wonderful piney herbal aroma. Every now and then, a whiff of faint popcorn or coffee.

Nice, light sweetness, but the hops predominate. Noticable citrus early on. Long-lasting bitterness in the end. Aftertaste 2.0 kicks in with every burp, bringing the herbal vapors of the hops back to the fore.

Moderate body. Very biting early on, but mellowing out the more you drink. Slightly sticky. Nice burn down the throat.

A great drinker, but I'm finding the 6.9% ABV is slowing me down a bit.

I had thought that AB was the first Stone brew I had tried, but after reading the notes on the label concerning the gargoyle, I realized it was this beer. My feel at the time was that it was an inpressive brew, but I wasn't sure that I really liked it all that much.

Having sampled a number of Stone brews since, I have now become an official hop-head, and can accept this as the truly great beer that it is. In fact, I revel in it.

03-21-2010 05:08:14 | More by obywan59
HugePlume

Washington

4.83/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from the tap at our SD hotel the first night in town.

A- Lighting wasn't ideal in the room, but it had a very nice rocky head, and excellent lacing. My wife had a sierra nevada pale, and I was actually surprised that the SN was a little darker and redder than the Stone IPA, which I felt was on the lighter end of the AIPA spectrum, nice lacing.

S- out of sight. massive hop aroma, dry hopping to the extereme! wonderful complex hop notes, from whole hop, with a little citrus mixed in,

T- again, fantastic. Smacks you right away with a full bore bitter hop assault. A nice sweet grain malt background gives way to a bitter hop finsh of unusual complexity.

M- Spot on here, a little resin left on the teeth and tongue, and good carbonation to pull away some of the bitterness, but not too much of it.

O- Great IPA, a pillar of hoppiness.

04-26-2011 00:15:30 | More by HugePlume
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.