Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,876 | Hads: 10,223
4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

On-Tap at Dilly Deli poured into a pint. Reviews based off notes.

A: Pours golden orange and coppery. 1+ finger head that reduces and stays at about a 1/4 inch. Patchy lacing.

S: Strong floral hops and fresh piney scent. Makes my mouth water thinking about whats coming. Alcohol stays hidden nicely. Slight nutty malt aroma peeks through toward the end.

T/M: Strong peppery spices and amazing hop bitterness. I love this in bottles but its AMAZING on top. Getting a piney/sappy bite. Nutty, buttery malts show their face just before the end. Medium body that turns slightly creamy at the malts and finishes bone dry.

D: If I hadn't had a big lunch, I would probably have to stop after 2 or so, but I could really drink this for quite awhile before experiencing palate fatigue. Extremely tasty and easy to drink. Without a doubt one of my favor brews.

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

A beautiful frickin' beer no matter how you slice it, on tap this absolutely kills.

Above most any Stone beer I've experienced the maltiness is damned divine: doughy, gooey, in the forefront.

But the malt isn't what makes this beer so sublime: its the hops, man. Citrusy nose only hints at the spectacular overload you'll get on the first sip. Wicked hop burps like this was pulled out of the tanks yesterday.

Wow. I forgot how damned good this beer is. Blew SNCA out of the water in a side-by-side tasting.

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

This is the best IPA in a bottle that I have tasted so far. It is very hoppy, simply delicious. I am happy to report that now it is available at Costcos for $25.99 a case (at least in the Torrance, CA Costco.) Bought 2 cases and now I'm happy.(9-10-2011)

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Appearance-big headed goodness comes out of the bottle, light color head booms up but remarkably settles afterwards into the glass, good looking beer.

Smell-hoppy as all get out, alcohol is totally hidden by hoppiness no other aromas to speak of, smells like it was just brewed a second ago.

Taste/Mouthfeel-amazing, easy drinking, substantial hop flavor but no burn or rashness, balanced with a dash of malt, maintains a light texture but still substantial. Even those who don't like hoppy beers or are just starting on them would probably like this.

Drinkability-easy to drink, clean finish except for a small trace of hops, just how you would want to do it, 7% alcohol for those who don't know.

Overall-Simply put one of the best IPAs I've ever had, it's taken me forever to try Stone beers and now that I've had one I can't wait to try more. Astoundingly good.

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

This beer was served out of a 12oz. bottle dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Stone label and artwork are just the coolest. Label is painted or embossed not sure which. Gives it top notch feel and look.

Appearance - Pours out a golden yellow/orange color with surprisingly dense 2 finger white foam head. Head retention is about average, sticking around for about a minute before dissipating into an airy foam covering. Leaves excellent lacing.

Smell - Smell is truly amazing. A HUGE aroma! Smells of strong citrus hops with hints of tropical fruit. IMO, falls more on the Piney hop side than the floral hop side. Very faint hints of malt scent throughout.

Taste - Taste is just as amazing as the smell. A malty start gives way to intense hop flavors. The combination of citrus/piney/sweet tropical fruit-like hop bitterness is amazing!

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Starts off very crisp before turning smooth slightly creamy on the back end.

Drinkability - Smell/taste/mouthfeel combo make this extremely drinkable. Cant just have one!

Best IPA that I have ever had and one of the best beer I have ever had PERIOD! One of the few beer that made me say "Oh MY" when I had the pleasure of trying it. As good as this is out of the bottle, I had the joy of trying this fresh when I visited Stone while out in San Diego in the Summer of 2011 and its even better!!! A real treat! Worth the little extra $$$$ IMO!!!

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Stone IPA is by far one of the finest india pale ales that I have ever had. It has the heavy hops one comes to expect from an IPA, but it's smooth and far less abrasive than other brewers takes on IPA. It's a drag that you can't get Stone in Illinois, but well worth the drive to pick up a few bombers.

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Another brilliant brew from Stone. Pours a hazy amber color with a frothy white head. This beer is dominated by hops but is balanced out by a sweetness that doesn't make it too bitter. Not as good as their Ruination IPA but excellent for a single IPA.

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Pablo Piccaso would have trouble crafting a masterpiece such as this. The stiff white cream head finishes off this brew as you'd imagine a master chef with a perfect garnish would. Nose is massive pine, followed by a mix of grapefruit and caramel. I have to be honest, the smell is as devine as any beer lover could hope. Taste is a tour of hops ...pine, graprefruit, lemon, peach and finally caramel. This is probably the perfect IPA. Mouthfeel is suitably creamy and drinkablility is near perfect. A rugged yet sessionable beer that everyone with any sense will respect. Thank you Stone!

4.97/5  rDev +17.5%

In most styles of beer I take a standard somewhat generic beer and I hold all others to it. The APA for example is best shown by seirra nevada. I'd never call that a great beer, it's average in most of its efforts. With IPA's I used ot judge them to dogfish head 60 minute but stone ipa honestly is easier to get and all IPAs end up being graded down because they aren't stone.

The nose is other worldly, served in a stone iPA glass the nose is just breath taking. Floral, fruity, spicy, piny, and hell if I could have this as a perfume I'd buy it for all the ladies. This is the best smelling beer I've ever been with.

The appearance is cloudy off yellow/copper, an unimpressive head on this pour but normally it does far better. Leaves a decent but not amazing lacing. Not much carbonation.

I'm an atheist, but this beer makes me want to thank god for the taste. It's citrus, crispy, with malt COMPLETELY in the back seat but at the same time perfectly complementing the hops.

Look, I've given beers 5's before. This beer is the best beer I've ever had when I really truly sit back and judge fairly. I can't give the appearance a 5 though...again a flaw in the bro's scores. Many beers have exceptional qualities. This beer in many places is perfection...and there is no 6 to give.

In the quest to try every beer on the planet one often forgets about the easy to find and cheaper offerings. Well IPA lovers...there is no better staple. There is no beer I come back to as often and trust me I've got about 40 different beers in the fridge...this one will be bought again before all of those are even sampled.

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Appearance: Light orange clean tint

Head: Big frosty white head that stays for the length of the beer

Smell: A nice bright Citric and grapefruit on the nose

Taste: Sweet malts with a very subtle citric hop

Weight: Light body with a low to medium carbonation

Finish: Nice bitterness creeps in and soaks into the palate with a little stickiness on the lips

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Pours a big, impressive froth that almost refuses to settle (which, of course, is a good thing). Leaves nearly enough lace to make it look like it didn't even settle! Copper to orange color. Absolutely beautiful hoppy aroma. Tons of floral and citrus character. In fact, it jumps out at you before you even finish opening the bottle. More citrus-like hop bitterness in the flavor, with some hints of spiciness and great malty undertones. Hops make it very smooth and crisp, and the bread-like maltiness underneath rounds it out quite well. Great balance of bitterness and sweetness as well. Dangerously drinkable! This is one wonderful brew. I'm loving every Stone brew I try with a passion! If you're just starting to love hops, this is a great step up from their pale ale if you're not quite ready for "ruination". And for the seasoned hophead, this is a wonderful treat and an exceptional brew all around! No matter who you are, try this! It will not fail to impress.

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Stone is always a pretty safe bet, so I was extremely excited to try their classic India Pale Ale.

Pours a golden citrus color. Smells of hop and bitters, a little citrus in there as well.

Taste is a wonderfully balanced pairing of hops and bitters. Although Stone claims its filled with hops, I didn't find it to be overly hoppy like so many other IPA attempts.

Goes down very smooth and it's a very easy drinking beer as far as IPA's go. Highly recommended.

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Bought a case awhile ago and I finally have gotten around to reviewing it. I have drank at least one of these each day since I bought the case and I have to say that they all have bottled pretty well. The beer pours a rich amber color with a small head. Aroma is hoppy and quite citrusy. The taste begins with citrus fruits, with orange peel and grapefruit being the most prevalent. The aftertaste is clean with a nice hop bitterness, but not too bitter to be a bother. The mouthfeel is smooth with med carbonation. The drinkabiliy is high, I have had two or three at a time without losing the subtleness or balance of the beer. Perhaps the best offering from Stone to date. I would recommend this to anyone.

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Amazing beer. My favorite of all time. No matter what I try I keep coming back for more. Wasn't in love at first, but it grew on me and continues to do so. Very floral and fruity with multiple layers of complexity. Perfect hop bitterness lingers just long enough. Just enough malt to balance the powerful hops. Perfect head which adheres to the glass to remind you it is disappearing by the sip. I buy it by the case whenever I can find it! I've tried many beers that are rated higher on this site, but none come close to the perfection of this beer for me. This beer has an unspeakable quality about it that is hard to describe but that I grow to appreciate more and more each year. I would buy the company if I could!

4.95/5  rDev +17%

This beer poured out a nice copperish gold color and formed a nice fairly white head, that when subsiding, left some nice lace. Aroma had elements of hops and some citrus. The taste had a substantial amount of hops and slightly bitter aspect to it, which is good in an IPA. Good beer

4.95/5  rDev +17%

A- golden yellow, with a slight greenish tint. Thick two finger head that stays put. Heavy lacing.

S- this beer smell made me giggle! That's a first. Like pure hops on Italian bread. Perfect balance light bread, floral, fruity, earthy.

T- wow!!!! Thank you may I have another!! Starts
Earthy and just a bit of breast malt. Smooth floral to follow. Slight but not over powering citrus notes. Finishes dry with the perfect balance of hops and malts which makes the aftertaste seem like a dessert. A little hint of smoke which I think is the secret of this brew.

M- light airy, and a bit of oil. With the flavor this don't matter much.

O- wow! Light enough to enjoy a few, with the flavor composition of a double ipa. No greasy aftertaste, not a huge filling beer. All flavor! Amazing!!!

O- wow!! Light enough to enjoy a few with the flavor of a double ipa

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Pours a beautiful amber color with a generous white head with great retention. Lots of lacing down the glass makes for a pleasing visual experience. The smell is out-of-this-world good. Loads of citrus hops hit the nose with a wallop. The taste is all hops. Delicious grapefruit flavor with touch of pine. Plenty of bitterness makes this a hop-head's dream, and not for the faint-of-tongue. If there was ever a beer deserving of being called exceptional, this is it.

4.95/5  rDev +17%

Pours a hazy orange-amber with an off white head. Good head retention for an IPA. The head fades to a thin film of foam on the surface of the beer. This is usually a good indicator of a malty beer. The aroma may be the sweetest floral smells I've ever experienced in a beer. I have a fragrant rose in my garden called "Seattle Scentsation". It may be the best rose aroma I've ever experienced. This beer reminds me of that scent. Wow!

The hop florals carry over into the taste as well. Very bitter, very good. And there is a substantial malt base to support all the hops. A hint of sweetness slides in the finsh, possibly caramel notes. Also a bit of ale "fruitiness", which I only noticed later in the glass. But the hops just blow me away. I'll revisit this beer at a later date when I'm slightly less in awe.

The mouthfeel is also very full for an IPA. The beer seems to expand to fill your mouth, and gets silkier the longer it's on your tongue. Mmmmmm, goooood. It finishes rather cleanly, with a good hop kick to cleanse the palate.

6.9% ABV? You have got to be kidding me! I could tatste no alcohol notes, and could drink this beer for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, and supper and still want a few that evening.

I can't believe I waited a couple of weeks to try this beer after I bought it. I'm buying more on my next beer run. This beer could temper my desire to try new beers somewhat. It is one of the best I've ever experienced flavor-wise, and is very drinkable. Not just a hop-head's IPA. It's a beer lover's IPA. Dare I say it's my new IPA? It will be when I can get it.

** 7-8-03** This beer is still awe inspiring. One of my favorties. Greg is a Beer God**

Served in a pint glass.

Loved the fruitiness of this beer. Everything about it - the color, smell, and taste - reminded be of mangoes. A brew with a huge foamy tan head that left a layer of foam the whole way down the glass. Being the Cali ipa that it is, it packs a huge hop punch. Piney, grassy hops on the nose and slick fruity ones in the mouth. Mostly tropical - sweet mandarin oranges and pineapple. Mouthfeel is just how I enjoy it - lightly carbonated, thirst quenching, but still leaves you looking for another sip.

Overall a damn good beer. Maybe even one of the best I've had to date. Loved how drinkable it was and really enjoyed the fruitiness created by the hops. Would highly recommend this beer, as I really don't think it gets much better than this. Drink on!

4.94/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a cloudy gold, with a large head of foam.

Nose is big and floral, with an unmistakable grapefruit/citrus hops character.

Taste is clean and bitter, punchy and explosive on the palate. A little sweet malt to balance.

The relatively high ABV (6.9%) is hidden well.

Packed with big flavor and freshness, this is a top-tier brew with character and guts.

4.94/5  rDev +16.8%

I love IPA's and especailly big ones, however I know this one isn't a big one, but it comes across as a great one. There is nothing that I can find wrong with this beer. I tried to find something that I didn't like, but I couldn't find it.
Pours a beauty of a light copper color with a nice head and some nice lacing. The smell is of a nice hoppy citrus that when you smell you can't help but to say AAAHHH. The taste is smooth and hoppy which is what you want however here we have a nice balance and before you know it you are looking for another one. I only scored this one higher than the arrogance because it is a little lower than alcohol and I could probably drink several more of these before I started forgetting things. Stone Brewery I love you. Please come to Arkansas soon.

4.94/5  rDev +16.8%

Another Stone favorite that I've never bothered to review until now. 12oz bottle poured into my Stone IPA glass.

A - The beer pours a medium golden color. It is a little bit above standard for an IPA, with fluffy head and great lacing.

S - I'm getting pine, citrus, grapefruit especially, floral hops, and even caramel. This pretty much has everything one would want in an American IPA.

T - Wonderful! Hops, hops, hops. Lots of citrus with some carmel sweetness. The beer finishes slightly minty, with plenty of lingering bitterness. Very good.

M - The beer is medium bodied. You can either make this one a sipper or a swiller; it is very versatile.

D - This beer is incredibly drinkable. I, for one, am very happy that Stone decided to sell these in sixers. One of Stone's finest brews.

4.94/5  rDev +16.8%

Serving type; 22 oz. bottle with awesome artwork. Got to love the Gargoyle.

Appearance; A rich golden, orange hued beer with a nice thick head that's lacy and sticks around.

Smell; Very piney, citric and fruity. Very aromatic and pungent and a little earthy and herbal. Its smell is awesome, they should make cologne that smells like this.

Taste; The taste is divine. Hops are the first thing you taste. Very piney, a little citric, herbal and intense. The hop profile is profound and the bitterness intense but not overwhelming. Very grapefruity. A nice subtle malt profile balances it out and the finish is very clean yet lingers. Sweet but crisp. Almost contradicting, this beer has it all.

Mouthfeel; Medium mouthfeel with a perfect amount of carbonation.

Overall; This is a perfect beer for me. Strong and hoppy, but balanced and not overwhelming. Complex but crisp. I really think if God was going to have a beer this might be it.

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

Served in a wiezen glass, quite a sight...plenty of bubbles rushing to the top, nice clear golden color, with a head that maintains its retention through out its brief life in my glass, nice white, fluffy head, that left layers of lacing from the very top to the bottom of the glass. The aroma changes with temperature of the brew, starts very floral and just hints of spice and citrus, as it warms up and gains more character it looses its floral tones and becomes a complex mixture of citrus, malts, and chocolates or caramels. The taste is tantalizing, I keep searching for more. Its a well balanced mixture of smooth malts in the front to the lovely flavors of the hops in the finish. Perfect in carbonation, a good body, and well concealed alcohol.
This is an IPA that defines the style in my view, very well rounded, very hop-y, very tasty! Its not only a great session beer, but a beer that can be enjoyed at any time and moment (at least for us hop heads out there).
Now, the challenge lays, were can I find more, good thing they come in bombers.

4.92/5  rDev +16.3%

served in a 22oz bottle.
A: a nice copper color. a finger and a half of white foam top. very nice.
S: hops and more hops! a hint of grapefruit is present. what all ipa's should smell like.
T: bitter and a lil fruity. more on the bitter side,but, very smooth.
M: very smooth and a great non lasting taste for an ipa.
O: not many ipa's can top this one. if im in the store and i want to have a good night, this is my go to beer.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.