Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,876 | Hads: 10,223
3.84/5  rDev -9.2%

poured from a 1 pint 6 oz bottle into into pint glass.
A- dark amber, hazy, some carbonation bubbles rising entire time. nice, off-white two finger head that slowly dissipated leaving partial lacing throughout.
S- earthy, pine smell dominates, but there are hints of grapefruit as well.
T- hops comes through in a wonderful bitterness that IPA's should have; it finishes with a lemon/honey note that I find interestingly complex.
M-The hops sits on the back of your tongue. It is not too heavy, but it is there as it should be.
O- Above average in my opinion- it has the bite and bitterness I want in an IPA, but it is not overbearing or hard to drink. This is a beer to be savored and enjoyed slowly.

Recently picked up a single of this, best by date of 3/3/11

A - Brew pours a nice golden color with a bit of cloudiness. A good amount of foamy white head also presents itself. Nice lacing along the glass as well.

S - Strong pine aroma greets the nose up front. Some floral notes in there as well with a tinge of malt.

T - Both citrus and pine hops up front with a nice malt background. A bit of biscuit character in there too, a nice and balanced IPA.

M - Medium bodied, smooth throughout with a dry finish. Carbonation is right where it should be.

D - Solid offering from Stone and a good take on the style. If you're an IPA fan, its worth giving this one a shot.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A: Comes out a nice copper color with great clarity and carbonation. The head's decent and the lacing's good. A fine looking bber, all in all.

S: As they say on the bottle, it's dry-hopped so there they are. Pine notes up front with some citrus buried deep within. Not bad at all.

T: Great hopiness on top of bitterness. Those two are the most evident, but there's some citrusy flavor underneath. Grapefruit, maybe? Tough to tell. A good IPA flavor.

M: A perfect, medium body with spot-on carboantion. It goes down clean and after a few sips, I can feel it in my gut. Real good stuff.

D: Hoppy beers always get a little easier for me to drink as I go along. It's the first one that I have to get through. That wasn't too hard with this brew at all. Take two if you get the bigger bottle.

Overall/notes: This is just a good IPA from Stone. I preferred their Pale Ale a little more, but that just speaks about how great THAT beer was. This one is... well it's really good, too. An easy-to-access beer that'd be great for novices (like myself) to look into.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured from 22oz bottle. I think this bottle that I had was a little funky. Review reflects this issue with this bottle.

A- Poured a clear deep yellow with a one and a half finger cloudy white head. Some sticky lacing on the sides of the glass after the head went down in a fashionable amount of time.

S- This is a good smelling beer. This is also a Stone smelling beer as well! Big huge citrus hop smell right off the bat with hints of pine as well. Bready sweet malts and a tint of metallic tinge to this bottle as well. Since this is my like 100th Stone IPA I realize the metallic tinge isn't suppose to be in there. Also the alcohol is suprisingly covered with the hops in this beer.

T- The citrus hops blast through the liquid onto the tounge as this beer rolls over the palate. Lots of citrus hops to be honest. The pine and malts come in next with a slight sweet malt with a semi bitter hop balance each other out nicely. There is something of an issue with this bottle as I sip on it. The taste of metal really shines through with the ending. It's very strong and I don't really like it.

M- This has a medium mouthfeel to it. The carbonation was good leaving this beer a nice dancing effect over the palate. Nice hop taste left on the tounge and pleasant hop aftertaste.

D- This is a very drinkable brew. It's a shame this beer was tainted when I cracked it. I love Stone and this beer is the only off one that I had pretty much ever from Stone. But I drink this and like it. You should too.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Picked up a sixer at a local liquor store for about 12 dollars. For that price I expected something really spectacular and the 95 overall ranking made me think "oh boy, this is going to be great!". If I'm honest, it just isn't. It's TOO bitter. It tastes like what I imagine grapefruit peels to taste like. If you puréed them with some pine needles. Hopslam is way better for my palate any day of the week. Ugh.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured into a pint glass

A- A very inviting hazy golden color with a slightly orange tint. The head is roughly 2 fingers thick and gives a very pillow-y appearance as it dissipates leaving a nice thick lacing (more of a coating.)

S- Lemon zest, marijuana, bready malts. I'm actually getting a very slight amount of booze out of it too as it warms, but nothing alarming.

T- The "bready-ness" that I smelled in nose is the most evident player on the palate. Also, some lingering bitterness on the back of my tongue. Not much in the way of the citrusy hops that I get in the aroma (though faint.)

M- Pretty standard IPA. Possibly a little low on the carbonation scale, but nothing that detracts greatly from the overall quality.

D- Deceptively drinkable for nearly 7%. Nothing is too overwhelming, which is good except for with the hops, which I was hoping to be more prominent. All in all, a good beer and definitely one of the better of the widely accessible IPAs. I feel like this bottle might be a little older than I would have liked, but no dating system on the bottles so I don't know. I hadn't had it in months before tonight, but I remember having a bottle or two and definitely some servings from the tap that were slightly better, but my palate may has changed since then too.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Stone's IPA yesterday for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. When I saw this beer sitting on the shelf I realized that I haven't had it before. so I decided to give it a try, lets see how it goes. Enjoy by July 21st. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is nice, it's not that eye catching but it has clean and classy look to it. It poured a fairly clear golden yellow color that took on an orange hue when held to to the light with two fingers worth of creamy slightly off white head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing behind. This is pretty good looking IPA, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of hops, there's some spicy and floral hop aromas mixed in with a nice citrus hop aroma with grapefruit seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes some a slight bit of bready and grainy malts followed by some more floral hops aromas with a little bit of pine in the background. This beer had a nice aroma, it was dominated by hops, maybe a little too much so, but the hop profile was pretty nice.

T- The taste starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of hops, I get all the hops aspects that I picked up in the aroma, but it's the floral hops that seems to stick out the most imparting a flavor that reminds of Two Hearted Ale. Up next comes a very slight bit of malts that imparts a light grainy flavor that is a little watery. On the finish there's a very high amount of medium bitterness bordering on high bitterness with a very floral hoppy like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting IPA, but I would have liked just a little more balance to it.

M- A little smooth, pretty dry, pretty crisp, slightly watery, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but I wish it was just a tad thicker.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and an above average IPA, it had a pretty nice hop profile that stayed away from the heavy citrus and tropical fruit components and it relied on some nice floral hops to take the helm and I thought that worked out nicely. This beer had decent drinkability, it wasn't the smoothest, but the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention and I think one or two of these would be good enough for me, the bitterness and lighter body might start to wear on me after awhile. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty damn good with the aroma doing a great job at highlighting those floral hops. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, I know IPA's are suppose to highlight the hops, but I think a maltier base would help this beer a little. I don't know if I would buy a six pack of this anytime soon, but I wouldn't mind ordering this at a bar/restaurant and I think this could pair well with some spicy food, I recommend this to any IPA lover and people who like the floral hops, I also thought it was priced nicely. All in all I thought this was a pretty solid IPA, there's some aspects that I think could be improved upon, but for the most part is was a pretty good straight forward American IPA and the more I drank it the more I liked the hop profile. This isn't my favorite IPA, but it's far from my least favorite, I would say it's a little above being right in the middle, but if I was in the mood for a floral hop heavy beer I would choose Two Hearted Ale over this. Good job Stone this is one solid IPA, I have no clue what took me some long to try it but I'm glad I finally did, keep up the good work guys.

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A - Amber with a bit of a haze, 1/2 finger head with excellent lacing down to the last sip.

S - Piney aroma with a little sweetness in the background

T - still being an amateur, I tried this when it was a little too cold and got mostly a bitter hops bite with a malty backing character. As I made my way through, I let it sit and warm up and the fruit flavors come out. This has a pine hop bite up front even as it warms, but a orange/lemon flavor appears and finishes with a malt back.

M - A good beer, a little more body than other IPA's I have tried, and I like that.

O - As it warmed, the character of the beer comes out, I really enjoyed the Stone IPA, I wish there was a little more fruit flavor, but overall a very good IPA

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on 8-10-15, enjoy by 11-8-15. Tulip.

A: Pours a clear, orange-tinged gold with ample carbonation and a one finger foamy and rocky just off-white head. Nice spotting, but not much true lacing.

S: A bold, but vague citrusy tartness. Some ale yeast esters. Some mild resin. A little disappointed in this department, actually. Bottle's only 33 days old.

T: Dry, clean arrival, balancing malt across the middle with moderate bitter pine and resin; closing out to a dry, lingering medicinal hop finish.

M: Lighter side of midweight, less carbonation than the appearance suggests; quite slick on the finish.

O: Now THIS is what I consider a West Coast IPA. There is very little fruit on the nose, and very little sweetness on the palate. It is clearly imbalanced in favor of hops, but strangely, it works. Though so many try to do this and fail, Stone succeeds. Is it a go-to IPA for me? No, I was disappointed with the nose; I like more than just a little vague tartness; I also like more fruit-forward and sweeter/maltier IPAs. Not offputting at 70-some IBUs. But I could definitely see this being a regular buy in the summertime.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance -- Pours a hazy orange with a slim, sudsy white head. Lacing is pretty good. Could do with better head retention.

Smell -- Pale malts, grapefruit, faint tangerine, floral notes, and pine. Not as aromatic as I had hoped.

Taste -- Grapefruit, tropical fruits, pine, faint caramel, melon, lots of bready malt. Finish is crisp, dry, with some lingering vegetal flavor.

Mouthfeel -- Medium in body, moderate 'fluffy' carbonation. Dry in the finish. Overall, not bad.

Drinkability -- This is the Stone offering that I have passed on over and over. While it didn't fully live up to my expectations, I am still glad I went with this. Great balance, very refresing, but the mouthfeel and appearance left a little to be desired.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Amber with 1 to 1.5inches worth of head; cloying lace.

Fresh grapefruit scent upfront, along with wet leaves (mulch) and floral pungency.

Grapefruit citrus, slightly sour, along with very faint strawberry sweetness. Grain sweetness along with hop bitterness that while overshadows the malt, still retains a semblance of balance. Hop flavor is fairly one noted.

Weighty and tongue drying and medium carbonated.

Flavor is enjoyable enough to continue to sip, and mouthfeel further augments the drinkability.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Perfect pour. Light amber brown with the nicest white head of suds. Smells of sweet piney hops and a touch of mint. Oh my, this looks good.

This is a hoppy IPA without a substantial amount of malt body. The taste is dominated by a medicinal citrus injection. For the hop-fanatic in me this is a wonderland of bubbly bitterness that tickles the tastebuds long after I take a sip. For the IPA-lover in me it is too linear, and its focus on over-the-top hops denies the complexity of a malty base. Definately worth picking up again.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

This is a classic San Diego IPA. It is crisp and refreshing and has a very good hop profile.great for everyday drinking without draining your bank account.

It pours a light golden color with a 1 finger head with decent lacing. Smells are all hops with a little malt.

Taste is bitter and hoppy with a little malt flavor just as you'd expect.

It has a clean and dry mouth feel at the same time.

Overall, like I said it isn't going to make you drool for more but it is a great goto especially at bars that have bud, coors, miller, bluemoon, and stone ipa. Can't go wrong with it in that situation...

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I get it, it's very hoppy.. I'm an IPA person, but once you peel back all the hops from this there really isn't much there. Don't get me wrong, I love Stone and will drink these all night, but it's just not a particularly tasty beer.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Dark coppery appearance, like lightly steeped peppermint tea. Smell is mild, fruity almost with hints of mellon. When I first opened it, the taste was much more fruity and light than I expected given its overwhelming support as a top notch IPA. Definitely sweet and malty for an IPA, lacking in the resiny floral taste of my more favorite IPAs. Light and mellow, very drinkable and accessable. Very creamy mouthfeel, full bodied with a lingering moistening effect on the mouth and tongue. After a few minutes (head gone), the hoppy strength increased and really won me over.

One of the best IPAs I have had, surely a top 5.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

A- Hmm, golden orange color, very cloudy, presumably from dry hops, although it is so cloudy it must be unfiltered. The color is interesting to me, I'm used to the copper color you get from an IPA. Not much of a head to speak of.

S- Pine and grapefruit, not overpowering, the low carbonation probably leads to the lower amount of aroma. Sweet as well, maybe a bit orangy.
T- Definite amount of hop bitterness. The malt sweetness and hop finish balance each other out and leave the beer feeling crisp and clean. A bit grassy at the end. An orange-lemon finish also balances this grassiness, maybe even some faint banana undertones. Refreshing actually.

M- Medium-low mouthfeel, a bit thinner than I'd hoped for. Perky carbonation, prickly on the tongue. Interesting how the carbonation comes through in taste but not in appearance..

O- This is a nice beer, refreshing, tasty, easy to drink for 6.9%. I would have liked a bit more on the aroma and mouthfeel. I should note this is from a bottle from craft beer exchange, possibly this is a bit older than it should be, not bottle dated.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Nice IPA but with the high ratings over this one I expected something more than exceptional. Has a nice marriage of malt/hop flavor and only a slight bitterness compared to most other IPA's I've had over the years. I still think the Alesmith beats this one though. I will definately drink it again, but there are many just as good as this one and better.

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

What can I say? It's an American IPA. It's hoppy, it's bitter, it's bubbly, it's delicious. Having grown up in an area where beer lovers worship Sierra Nevada, I can say with a lot of confidence that no amount of hoppiness can faze me anymore.

The smell right out of the bottle is pretty overpowering, but if you like hops (even if you don't just do your best to get over the smell) you should be able to get the first taste down pretty easily.

It's very smooth, lightly carbonated, not nearly as carbonated as most Sierra products I've had, and easy to put away.

Overall it's a very standard IPA. There isn't a whole lot I can say about it to wow you into going and buying it, but I will say it's very drinkable and I would recommend it to anybody looking for a new IPA to try.

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured to a Sam Adams perfect pint.
Pours a nice transparent golden yellow, two fingers of white head tops it off leaving some wicked lacing.
Super hoppy aroma, smells like simcoe, hop resin, a bit of malt in the background but not much and the expected tropical fruit. Lots of hoppy flavors with a nice light body, very drinkable with a refreshing bright carbonation.
Since IPA from stone, a brewery who knows its hops.

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured a bright, clear tawny gold with a fluffy white head and some sticky lace. The smell is big and strong floral hops. Taste is malt with a strong hop presence, citric and alcoholic notes.. The bitterness is just right, crisp bitter bite. Mouth is medium and round, smooth but also sticky on the palate, flurry on swirling in the mouth, medium to well carbonated. On the strong side for an IPA, but that is to be exected from this brewery. Holds yur palate hostage. Good and well done, but you wouldn't see me drink a sixer of this, not exactly a session beer.

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

Served from bottle to pint glass.

Dark honey color. Not too much head but there was some lacing. Some piney, and floral hops in the nose. Tastes have some tart citrus and piney flavor. Also some sweet bready malt. Light to medium body and fairly dry. Nice IPA.

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

Pale golden color with a thin layer of frothy white head on top.
Smell- very hoppy/piney and bits of citrus.
Taste- Hoppy from start to finish.. very good creamy mouth feel too. If you love hops then this beer is for you. This beer is pretty straight forward... not a lot of complexities... just hops and more hops.

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

Appearance: One finger of thick white head with solid lacing. This sample has a clear honey, amber color.

Smell: This beer has a pleasant hop aroma, but I was expecting to smell more hops in this ale.

Taste: This beer has a solid hop backbone and has a grapefriut flavor. There is a hint of malt supporting the hops.

Mouthfeel: Creamy

Overall: A fine beer

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Poured a dark gold color that was pretty clear. It did have a nice 1-finger head.

Smell: It had a nice hop aroma with some fruit scents which I couldn't quite identify, but noticed immediately.

Taste: Not too bitter as with some IPAs. On the contrary, it's somewhat sweet and smooth with some fruit in the background.

Mouthfeel: It had a thin, but fair body from the carbonation.

Drinkability: This is pretty good. I feel I've had some better IPAs, but this one is certainly a quality beer.

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

A nice golder light-amber hued beer with a white head that leaves a nice lacing to the rim of the glass as i drink it down.

Full hoppy character by scent, no real presense of malt or anything else; grapefruity citrus effects.

The hops are very dominant in this brew, as to be expected given not only that it's an IPA but that it's from Stone. A pleasant upfront grapefruit-citrus followed by a kick of hops and a lingering dryness.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.