Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,853 | Hads: 10,087

12oz bottle, best by 3/16/11, poured into nonic pint

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden-yellow color, with about a finger of white head which subsides to leave a white coating over the beer's surface. Some spotty lacing.

S: Bitter pine hops dominate here, with some citrus accents- particularly from grapefruit. I'm picking up a little of a caramel malty flavor, but its sweetness is hidden behind the hops.

T: Pleasantly bitter; not much balance on the sweet side of things but the hop flavors are so enjoyable that it doesn't matter. Grapefruit really comes out in the flavor, along with a hint of florals.

M: Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation, a bit of a lingering, sticky finish, which really helps the hop flavors linger on the finish.

D: A good beer and one that's easy to drink, but I'm not sure I'm interested in the flavors enough to look for a second glass of this right away. Nonetheless, a beer I'll be having again. (936 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22oz poured into a DFH tulip.

Appearance: pours a light hay-amberish color. There is a 3-4 finger head after a vigorous pour. Lacing is extensive and dissipates slowly. Beautiful lacing left behind. Head is made up of micro bubbles but is billowing on top like sea foam. Beer is clear with a small amount of bubbles emerging from the bottom.

Smell: a sign isn't hop presence from the moment the cap Is popped. With a few swirls of the glass different characteristics begin to emerge. On the inhale vibrant tropical notes dominate along with the classic west coast hop varietal essences. It's gets interesting on the exhale green apple peels with a tropical twist. Hop forward but not over powering with a slight hint of the 2-row graininess is back there somewhere.

Taste: heavy hop bitterness upfront, dry with a malty a hint of alcohol warming. Aftertaste is long and astringent almost like bile. Orange rind definitely not a palette cleanser.

Mouthfeel: silky and surprisingly juicy since the finish is so dry. The aftertaste is overwhelming.

Overall: stone is a west coast and craft classic. I feel as though the main purpose of these early ipas was to simply use the grain bill as a medium for the hops. I think if stone revisited this they would seek a certain type of balance. It's just that the battering hops dominate more than anything else. Still a good beer but not compared to others west or east coast. (1,426 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

Had what i think was an older bottle, enjoy by date was barely readable, i think it said 7/02/07. Color was a beautifully clear amber gold with thick creamy white head that laced the glass very well. Not really much smell as the hops have diminished over time. Taste was good and hoppy, grassy and piney but balanced by the sweetness of the malt. As badass as Stone tries to be, this beer is obviously well crafted and beautifully balanced. Body was medium and carbonation was just right, slid right down the throat. Could drink a couple of these, will definately re-review again with a fresher bottle to really experience the hop-punch-in-the-face smell. (655 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

A: A clear golden brown with a very appreciative head that lasted until i was finished

S: Smelled slightly of freshly cut grass or flowers

M: Extremely smooth, sat very well on my palate.

T: It was a very simple tasting IPA, extremely hoppy but easy to drink. The taste was resonant of the all natural ingredients used to brew this one.

D: Unfortunately, because of the strong hoppy taste, I wouldn't be able to drink a 6 pack of this beer. It was very enjoyable to have one or two though. (493 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Re-review ^_^ 12 oz bottle poured into a regular glass.

A: Pours a faintly hazy golden amber color. The head is a two finger offwhite shade that retains itself nicely.

S: Not really my bag here. It's mostly some earthy dankness, pine cone, mild grapefruit, with a bit of augmenting caramel malt. I prefer big tropical fruit bomb aromas, so it's not the fault of the brew itself.

T: Better than I remembered. The initial flavor is pleasant grapefruit, before giving way to a bitter, dry piny finish. Malts are only vaguely evident throughout. Quite good, even great.

M: Dry and astringent - bitter, too. There's nothing balanced or delicate about the mouthfeel, but it gives the beer impressive drinkability in conjunction with the lighter texture and moderate carbonation. Still, it would be even better if the bitter dryness didn't fatigue the palate so badly.

O: I keep writing off Stone, and there are many occasions when I'm right in doing so. This one, though, I'm thankful I revisited. I wouldn't quite make it a go-to - there's far too big of a risk of getting a stale bottle here on the right coast - but I would revisit this on tap, easily. A good "palate wrecker" IPA. (1,183 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -10.8%

Came in a 22 oz bottle. Decent head retention around the rim for this type of beer. Pleasant amber colour. Leaves rather impressive lacing.

Sweet citrus smell, but also yeasty on the nose.

Certainly doesn't taste as citrusy as the smell indicated. This has real body. Isn't particularly sweet either. Instead a very full, hoppiness ensues, with sufficient malt to make the beer feel heavy on the stomach. I have the feeling I am drinking some thing very substantial here. As the description on the bottle implies this is not for lovers of subtle, floral hopped IPA's. I like it, but 22 ounces is more than sufficient. There will be no more beer for me tonight.

I am left with a befuddling gingery taste in my mouth. (724 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -11.1%

Best by 3/21 into a tulip.

A - standard Bubbly IPA, a bit more clear than expected in the tulip I poured it in but light golden orange. Filtered, not cloudy at all. Decent lacing, OK head retention.

S - Good. Grapefruit and lemons dominate, followed by some grassiness moreso than Pine. Smells dry / Bitter.

T - I read in another review this beer is bitter just enough before I'd state it's harsh, which I agree with. Grapefruit and lemons are there but not as much as the nose would suggest. I got as much biscuit and bready - grainy flavors as I did Grapefruit citrus which was a turnoff. Bitter hops, and a very dry but crisp finish. I feel the Grapefruit - Lemon citrus in this beer is muted. Too much Grain and Bread flavor along with the hops. Best by 3/21. Maybe this is an off batch.

M - Dry, bitter but keeps me looking to take another sip to see what else I can find in this beer. Good but not great. Not a very smooth IPA.

D - See Mouthfeel. Good but not the best I've had of the style.

Not a bad IPA by any means but I won't be buying another sixer of this anytime soon. (1,088 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -11.1%

Look at my review of Ruination I am reminded of how hoppy these Stone brews can be. I find this IPA to beer even hoppier than the Ruination. I know the character make up is different, but this is borderline absurd. I have been dabbling in East Coast IPA's which tend to have more pop than hop; so at this point I am kinda blown away.in an indifferent way.

APP. Doesn’t quite match the wonderful fall New England evening I'm experiencing. No standout colors, looks very much like a straight up pale ale. Keeps its head character throughout consumption.

SMELL. Fruity and sweet. Can you really smell hops? If you are not supposed to, this one you can.

TASTE. HOPS. HOPPY. LOADED WITH HOPS.

M&D I like a hoppy beer, but this one is a bit ridiculous. High marks for what it offers, but I prefer, more defined characteristics in my IPA's. (846 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I was about to hammer tranniger ( Ketchikan, Alaska ) for his panning of this legendary beer. However, my first crack at it produces similar results. I hate to agree with this guy - because I think he's a total numbskull - but I do.

22 oz bottle poured into a clean pilsner glass at 52 degrees. Very pleasing light amber color. What the hell is retention? Lacing...I don't really know...I have some homework to do...anyway, the head was nice and clean with large bubbles but, was I drinking it in the right glass? Head stuck to my mustache area in a satisfying way.

Smell is it's best attribute - coriander and hops - very pleasant and rewarding, as smell goes.

Taste is good, but more bitter than I prefer; aftertaste lingers, provoking curiosity and intrigue...many flavors; interesting but still a bit bitter. More tasting produces more yearning, but the result is the same with each additional taste - waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Mouthfeel is nice and thick; coats the palate.

Drinkable, but ultimately too hoppy and bitter for my taste- I've had better. (1,081 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-Dark copper with two generous fingers of foam and spotty lacing. Color is ominously close to Budweiser, but dark enough to tell the difference.
S-Faint undertones of a normal IPA, then the hops gloriously hit your nose like a freight train. Light undertones of caramel and malt.
T-Quite bitter as it should be, but there seems to be an odd or off flavor that does not belong, but dissipates after a few swigs.
M-bubbly with a feeling that it coats the tongue; a bit syrupy.
D-Good beer, originally gave it a lower d rating, but after 4 they are still going down easy. Very surprising d for a hh and h alc beer (611 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -11.1%

Burnt orange with a gracious head. Stringy lace accompanied me the entire 16 oz. Nice looking IPA.
Nice floral aroma high citrus with a sweet smell of caramel.
Nice measure of both hops and malt. The hops (of course) coming on strong and lasting straight through the finish, ending nicely with the malt. This is a great IPA. (326 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -11.1%

A - This one pours a nice amber color. Finger of off-white head that sticks around a bit, provides a fluffy white cap. Decent lacing.

S - Great pine smelling IPA. Mix of subtle grapefruit mixed with clean smelling pine, nice pungent IPA scent.

T - Pine up front with some lemon and orange peel, but definitely makes you remember the rugged pine punch. Balanced with some biscuity malts but overall pretty mild. This was one of the first IPAs I tried and it was definitely enough hops to feel like I was drinking a "real" west coast IPA, but still not over the top.

M - Good balance as expected, medium body and carbonation.

D - Still a good beer, big pine hops checking in. (681 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -11.1%

A – Brassy gold, nice head. It outta be in pictures…

S – Dank, resiny hops. Very promising.

T – Okay, a bit unexciting. The bitterness is not dynamic either. Smells better than it tastes.

M – Thin and a bit too astringent.

D – I would go for something else, generally. (308 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a very clear golden color with a nice 1-2cm white head. This one leaves great lacing, even after the head has fallen down to a little ring of bubbles. Looks really great, but it seems just a little bit lighter than I'd like to see an IPA. The smell is nice, some floral, citrusy, grassy hops. Actually quite a bit of hop resin in the smell. Almost leans towards a DIPA smell. Not really much maltiness to speak of, maybe just a whiff of sweetness. It's about what anyone would expect from an IPA. The taste seems to be a bit more bitter than a standard IPA, which is my main complaint, but there's enough of the hop flavor and aroma to fill in. This one isn't incredibly balanced, I can barely detect any sweet, malty backbone, and I can't taste the alcohol at all. The mouthfeel is nice, the bitterness makes you pucker and hesitate. I think this is lost somewhere between an IPA and DIPA, I like it but I'm not sure how well to either style it actually is. This one is very dry, like I would expect, with nothing standing in the way of the hoppy taste. This one really drinks well for almost 7%. You just keep taking drink after drink, and it is definitely worth a try. (1,181 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Well was introduced to craft beer 10 years ago and been a member of BA for almost as long. Decided to start reviewing them 10, ye ars later one at a time. Well havent had stone in quite awhile and decided to give this one a go and it is how i remembered . An over rated ipa boosted by incredible word of mouth and marketing. Not bad at all just overrated and waaay overhyped. Above average ipa at best and would be curious where this would score in a blind test without the benefit of all the hype. (498 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured from a draft into a pint glass at Playa Grill & Margarita Bar in San Diego, Calif. Color was orange blossom honey, kind of clear. Not much head when I got it, but probably originally an inch. Bubbly white lacing on the top. The film was scattered throughout.

Smelled of citrus hops with light lemon leading the way. Some bitterness at the end.

Quick citrus up front, giving way to a sharp and strong alcohol bite. Crisp, clean and some bitterness at the end.

Medium body. Lively carbonation. Clean and refreshing.

A pretty good beer overall. I’d definitely give it another go. (590 characters)

A - Golden orange color. OK head but could be better

S - Grapefruit hops and tiny bits of malt

T - Definitely grapefruit hops taste. A little bitter but there is enough malt backbone to back that up
M: Low carbonation surprisingly

D: the drinkability is good (261 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -11.1%

22 oz. bottle tried 12 Oct 2008.

Poured in a shaker pint. Medium off white creamy colored head. Well carbonated. Slightly cloudy deep gold color. Perfumy aroma, sweet and floral. Starts moderately citrusy, bitter, becoming maltier throught the middle. Mild ethanol. Finish is citric and floral. (295 characters)

on tap at Redbone's

I *know* I saw lovely, creamy heads on other glasses of this stuff! But for whatever reason, mine was served with no head, which is probably why I could only detect a faint, sweet scent

My taste buds were overwhelmed by luscious, grapefruity hops and the creamy mouthfeel.

I'm hard-pressed to distinguish it from the Brutal Bitter I've been drinking for a week. I will have to keep trying both of them.

So good it made me give money to a begger--and chat with him! That can't be such a bad thing. (530 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -11.3%

From a bottle to SA pint. No date on bottle.

Pours a slightly hazy, golden honey color with a foamy white head. Streams of carbonation bubbles rise from the bottom of the glass. Good retention and lacing. Very attractive beer. Smell is a little reserved for a west coast IPA. Nonetheless, piney and citrusy hops are prevelant. Taste is resiny, piney hops with a balancing pale malt backbone and a touch of honey sweetness. The finish is crisp and dry with a moderate bitterness left on the palette. Medium bodied and no alcohol presence. This is one sessionable and balanced IPA. I think I'll have another. (607 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -11.3%

As fresh of a bottle I could find here in North Jersey... enjoy by date of 4/10/07, purchased at Total Wine & More in River Edge. A steal at $4.99 for a bomber.

Served at fridge temperature in a pint glass.

Appearance- *Glugs* a hazy, pale gold color into the glass... the crisp, soapy head is snow white and persistent at two full fingers thick. Even after several minutes standing, the dollop of foam is still fat and stalwart... the lacing is sticky and wonderful.

Smell- Fantasic hop aroma from the dry-hopping... it's simple but strong and enticing. That's what it's all about here.

Taste- Surprisingly on the blander side... not at all like what I remember when sampling this last summer. The hops and malts are still nicely balanced with a bolder statement, but the resiny character just isn't there. It's easy drinking for a Stone beer, and the bitterness (as always) is drying and crisp. Great finish on this one.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Lightly carbonated going in, it never gets interesting enough to best highlight the hop and malt features to its potential. It's a flavorful, fresh hop fix for sure... and the burps are frequent and quite tasty, actually... but not the gem of an IPA I recall not long ago. (1,234 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -11.3%

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden with a two-finger white head, generous amounts of lacing left on the glass.

Smell: Nothing much going on, citrusy hops is about all I smell.

Taste: Citrus hop-forward with barley, a fair amount of bitterness. It's good.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly light bodied with a good amount of carbonation; crisp and refreshing.

Overall: A good IPA that I would no doubt have again; it's refreshing and an easy, delicious drinker. (497 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, yellow-brown in color, hazy

Smell: big citrus hops, small pine, caramel, and bread

Taste: follows the nose with the maltier caramel and bread being the base over sharp citrus and piney hops

Mouthfeel: light bodied, sweet start with a bitter middle and a very bitter lingering aftertaste, moderate carbonation

Overall:A bitter sipper that is great for those who love hops. there are a lot here. I would get this again, but only one per sitting. Very much a California IPA. (502 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

On-tap at Kelly Cole's in Syracuse.

A different sort of IPA, which is very welcome. I didnt get any distinct malt profile of this one, but the citrus hops were an interesting mix of smooth flavor and powerful bitterness. This, with the lack of malt flavor, make the mouthfeel seem a little empty while making it more drinkable at the same time. Huh. Try it anyways. (368 characters)

Poured into tullip

Appearance: Pale orange and very cloudy with a very stringy white head, average to above average for a west coast ipa.

Smell: Lotsa grapefruit and florals, makes me think it'll be a bit of a bitter bomb.

Taste: Same west coast hops coming through, cascade and the like. Overall what I'd expect for an overhopped ipa. The bitterness overtakes the hop character a bit, but still not too bad.

Mouthfeel: A slight bit sticky, about average.

Drinkability: While still a typical unbalanced west coast ipa, overall this really is pretty drinkable. When I wake up and am feeling that bittery grapefruity taste...this is my go to. (645 characters)

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.