Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Outstanding everyday go-to beer. Hoppy and bitter. GF hates it.

mick92627, Aug 21, 2014
4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Stone IPA is a real looker. Gauzy medium amber with a large, eggshell colored, slightly lumpy head that has good retention and leaves copious rings and sheets of lace.

This is the most amazingly fragrant beer that I've ever smelled; it hit with both barrels as soon as I popped the cap. Its room-filling bouquet even elicited a comment from my wife. The nose is abundantly citrusy, with grapefruit zest leading the charge. So this is what hops smell like!

The flavor is out of this world. Is this what people mean by a 'wow' beer? Grapefruit, lemon and pine, with a tantalizing hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is ultra-smooth and is full and rich without being heavy. Drinkability is superb. Oh how I wish that I had easier access to this amazing IPA.

It was with some trepidation that I popped the cap on this bomber of Stone IPA today. I've been reading on this site about how it's an incredibly hoppy, bitter beer and that beginners (namely me) should tread carefully, perhaps starting with more gentle, less hoppy styles. I think of bitterness as something unpleasant. Well if this is bitterness, give me all you've got.

Far from being unpleasant, this is the best beer of any style that I've had yet. I struggled with whether to assign such high scores since there aren't too many craft beers under my belt at this stage of the game. In the end, though, I have to go with what I feel. I can't imagine that anyone brews a better IPA, or that there are many other beers (of any style) that are better than this. And so.... a hophead is born.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm not going to re-review, but I am going to re-score now that I have quite a bit of IPA experience to reference. The taste score--I really hate to do this--falls to 4.5. (5/21/04)

BuckeyeNation, Dec 03, 2003
4.75/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours a light gold with a two finger, white head. The aroma is very hoppy. Lemon, orange juice, grapefruit, pine, sap, and a little malt sweetness. The flavor follows the nose very closely. There is a bit more of a malt presence, but that is very well balanced by the high IBUs. I've had so many IPA lately, this is better than I remembered.

BenwayPHD, Oct 14, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +0.7%

Amazing IPA.

ham413, Aug 19, 2014

One of my favorite go-to beers.

clingy, Aug 19, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -17.1%

dm123, Today at 07:28 AM

Supremely delicious and crisp! My first and favourite IPA.

chainsofsilver, Today at 02:52 AM
4.5/5  rDev +6.6%

Grapefruit. Hoppy. Strong. Drinkable. An enjoyable IPA.

MikeViall, Today at 01:29 AM

3.75/5  rDev -11.1%

adamcobrien, Friday at 06:09 PM

irish6174, Friday at 03:33 PM

yspiff, Friday at 04:07 AM
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.