Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,888 | Hads: 10,318

99? What? I love Stone beers, but hate this one. Mine is fresh according to the bottle, but WAY too grassy, and off putting. Just a nasty beer, and I don't get the fan fare with this. Where are the grapefruit, piney, citrus notes that you get in a West Coast IPA? Just completely non-existent with my particular beer.

1.44/5  rDev -66%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Honestly this is one of the worst IPA's I've ever had. Mostly because of the quality control but also because on the West Coast this is what most people try as their 1st ipa. This is when people decide they don't like IPA's.

How does this get a rating of 99? I wish "the bro's" could have had some of the six pack I got today, because this was awful. No way in hell they would drink my specific bottles of this and agree that it is world class.

WOW, I have had this beer before and it was decent then, but this time when I am reviewing it, it is horrible. Way too grassy for me, and not alot of pine and citrus that seems to characterize some of the other Stone's. Maybe it is a bad batch? I tossed the rest of the 6 pack out after I drained poured this one. I don't get it, this doesn't seem to have any hops at all.. Bottle date says to drink by 8/18/2014. It is June, so lack of freshness certainly isn't an excuse. What I got here is just completely uneventful and disappointing.

I found the hop characteristics that epitomize Stone beers to be completely non-existent with this specific 6 pack. I actually did a drain pour with a Stone beer (go figure) and am saving for the Sculpin IPA bomber I picked up at Whole Foods. I really dislike this beer. Have no idea what the deal is with this six pack I picked up, but will not be getting it again.

2.1/5  rDev -50.4%

Hazy gold colored ale with an aroma of pine.Taste is pine and malt.This has an "A' with over 1200 reviews???This is one of the 10 top worse tasting beers I've ever had.It reminds me of the Pine Sol my grandmom used to clean the house with.I don't get.Can you say overhyped??

2.25/5  rDev -46.8%

Drinking from a cold bottle 22oz. Decent aroma, with a hint of fruit. crisp mouthfeel, but than the full flavor and aftertaste comes in, and it ruins it. This beer has a somewhat insipid fruity taste mixed with hops. I don't like beer that tastes fruity, and this ruined this for me. wanted to like it but like most ales for me, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

2.29/5  rDev -45.9%

It makes me feel like a pussy because Stone prides themselves on having aggressive tasting beers, but this one is not for me. It has no balance whatsoever. It seems like Stone purposefully made it unbalanced so that it would be as hoppy and bitter as possible.

Maybe I got a bad batch, or maybe everyone else is playing follow the leader with this one.

2.29/5  rDev -45.9%

This bottle was bought at a local supermarket with a best by date of 6/15/10.
Poured into a beer glass with a big, thick head.
Had to do some emergency sipping to prevent a spill over.
My first impression of the smell left me very eager to take this encounter to the next level and take a gulp.
I've heard so much great stuff about Stone products, so my expectations coming into this session are very high...but OMG, this stuff is sour. I might detect some clove, if so, that would explain this reaction I'm having. There is some citrus note struggling to present itself , but it keeps getting slammed back by the taste of turpentine and who knows what gawdawful spice that dominates.
Either I got hold of a bad one, or we just have "a failure to communicate" going on here.
I'll go back to drinking my Torpedos in ignorant bliss, I guess.
In retrospect, the letter grade that this reviewer gives this brew is higher than my overall impression of what I just drank...the difference is how BA assigns value to aspects of the beer [like appearance]that do not count at the end of the day, but helped to jack up the score here.
I would personally rate this beer a solid "D-" if all there was to consider was what I just drank.

2.33/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

full yellow transparency, I guess it looks clean and crisp. huge malty notes dominate the aroma, get a bit of grapefruit and citrus but just reminds of arrogant bastard.Tastes of bittery grapefruit, lots of resin. its straight forward, I feel like its a statement beer, a 'macho' beer of bitterness in your face. can't escape the rough mouthfeel, it's just not my jam. This is the reason people probably think IPAs are not good.

2.38/5  rDev -43.7%

---This is a review of the beer while it is Warm!!!---
Serving Type: 22 Oz Bottle

Appearance: Pours a golden orange w/ a 1 finger head. Plenty of lacing as the head lingers right above the surface

Smell: Citrus, hops, pine...the alcohol does not come through in the smell.

Taste: While warm the drink, in my opinion, looses a lot of its subtlety's as the grapefruit overpowers almost any other taste. The bite from the citrus is a bit overbearing and removes the taste of hops. In the places of the hops is a extremely bitter taste

Mouthfeel: Luckily the beer retains it's very light mouthfeel, almost whimsical the way it smoothly rolls through the mouth. It does leave your mouth a bit more dry though because of the citrus.

Drinkability: As the beer warms up it looses it's drinkability because of the overpowering grapefruit flavour that blocks out anything else. YES IPA's usually have a high bitterness, but this one is quite smooth and enjoyable while cold. When it becomes Warm it destroys any previous thoughts you may have on the drink.

2.47/5  rDev -41.6%

It's a murky yellow. It actually looks like a pilsner with dirt thrown in it. Were it not for the creamy white head, I'd think it's a contaminated beer. Though yellower than I expected, it's also more murky. It makes me think of cloudy piss. The lacing left as the foam settles let the hops be known.

The hops smell bitter and astingrent. The beer is straight hops. There's no fruitiness, no malty balance, and no additive novelty. It's like your original bitter. I think of liquor bitters. I think of Bitter Bill's face on the macro commercials. The nose is pure and unadulterated, but I offer no bonus points for that.

It's a plain beer and, although I love hoppy goodness, it's overly bitter and otherwise flavorless. I credit it for simplicity, but why would I repeatedly reach for plainness? It's bitter like an aspirin, and that's not cool.

The quality carbonation provides a fuzzy medium for the hops, so mouthfeel is the selling point. It's oddly the best thing about this bland beer. This is an overly simple IPA from a big-time brewery. I respect (and see most people on this site apprciate) a bland hop beer but I, for one, would like more on the medium of this feel.

I don't really like it, so I won't be drinking it much. It looks overbarleyed and tastes like a medicine while feeling as if it's soda. It's an eccentric experience--particularly for such a simple IPA--but that doesn't mean I'll revisit it.

2.54/5  rDev -40%
look: 5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Its alright. Don't understand the hype but they are a top notch brewery this just ain't enough citrus or any fruity hop presence enough for me to purchase again.

2.62/5  rDev -38.1%

Served on draught into a generic beer glass at The Lab in Los Angeles (by USC). Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a two finger head of nice soft cream, fair thickness, and decent retention. Colour is a hazy light gold.

Sm: Light floral and banana notes, some bubblegum, and orange peel. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Admixtures of the notes on the nose form a bad balance. Structurally, it's problematic, with no satisfying climax. Poorly built and balanced.

Mf: Sharp, coarse, and wet. Terrible. Doesn't suit the body at all. A classic example of the problem with IPAs.

Dr: I was disappointed having heard such great things about Stone Brewing. I paid 5 USD in LA, which isn't terrible, but I won't be having this one again.

12/05/13: It's been over 2 years since I sat down with this beer, and I figured I'd add some truncated notes since my palate's probably developed.

12 fl oz brown glass bottle served into a conical Guinness pint glass in low altitude Castle Rock, CO. Reviewed live. Enjoy by: 12/24/13.

Served cold. Side-poured.

A: No bubble show.

Pours a 3 finger wide head of white colour. Fluffy. Okay creaminess. Decent thickness. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Retention is above average - about 4 minutes.

Body colour is a clear textbook copper of above avg vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. Translucent.

Standard fare for an IPA overall. Not unique or special.

Sm: Plenty of generic floral hop character. Pale malts. A hint of grapefruit. Pine. Some mango. Maybe even passionfruit. Fairly grassy. Plenty of hop bitterness is detectable, and the malts seem inadequate to balance it. I'm really concerned about the balance. There's maybe a brief hint of crackery malts.

A clean aroma - no yeast character or alcohol presence is noticeable.

T: Hop character: primarily floral, with some lighter notes of pine, mango fruit, grapefruit, and some tropical fruit. The pine is nice I guess. As it warms, I pick up a stale orange juice note - one of the off-notes that indicates a subpar IPA.

Pale malts. Maybe some caramalt.

The hop bitterness overwhelms what little malty sweetness there is, resulting in an annoying imbalance. I do like some of the fruity notes here. It has a loose cohesion, but feels a bit thrown together. Too bitter on the finish. Not gestalt, unique, special, nuanced, intricate, complex, or subtle. Average depth and duration of flavour. Above average intensity of flavour.

Mf: Smooth, wet, rough, unrefreshing, and overcarbonated. Suits the flavour profile okay. Doesn't seem at all custom-tailored to the taste.

Dr: Downable but problematic. Stone, as usual, displays little awareness of balance with this beer. I won't be buying it again, nor would I recommend it to friends. I remain shocked by this beer's high ratings. It's by no means world-class, or even above average. I stand by my initial rating.

2.65/5  rDev -37.4%

Poured into pint glass.

A: Hazy orange with a finger of fluffy white head that has good longevity.

S: Fruit (citrus: grapefruit, orange zest) and some light caramel malt. I'm getting some woodsy aromas as well. Not quite fully piney (like the Bridgeport IPA) but... herbal?

T/M: Oh, yikes. Way, way, way, way too phenolic. Malt and fruit suggested by the nose get totally overwhelmed by a pronounced flavor of Band-Aids. Extremely unpleasant, and somewhat greasy on the palate. I can tell that there's fruit in here, and I can sense the maltiness, but they both lose to the band-aids.

D: I drank most of the first pint, but poured the rest of my bomber down the drain. Ruination was a great beer, but this one...not so much.

2.72/5  rDev -35.7%

A: Nice Golden Color with thick creamy head

S: Big Hops. Grapefruit, Oranges, Lemons....Very Strong Nose.

T: Really nice California IPA, great citrus tones with a grapefruit finish

M: Medium body, slightly above average carbonation

D: Very well balanced beer from Stone, one of those beers that go well with anything. Nothing that impresses, but definitely consistent.

2.74/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

The brew pours a pale straw-yellow color with only a minimal head. Very quickly the foam dies down to a small ring leaving no real lacing to speak of.

The smell was interesting, plenty of IPA notes of hops with a predominance of floral and grassy notes.

The taste was quite disappointing for a Stone brew. While there was a balance of malt and hops, the hops notes were anything but attractive. Instead of a bold, active hops note there was some light, lavendar floral taste. Not at all what I'd expect from an American IPA. I usually praise beers that are balanced and this one certainly has a good bready malt body to balance the hops but there's really no hops to balance.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, it's a medium bodied brew with enough carbonation to clean the palate between sips. There are no oily or astringent aftertaste to detract from the experience.

As for drinkability, I think it speaks volumes that I regret having bought a six pack of this before trying one. I'm about halfway through and my opinion hasn't changed - this just isn't an interesting IPA.

2.78/5  rDev -34.3%

Pours a white, two finger-head that vanishes slowly leaving a good lace. Clear light amber color. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Nose is a strong hop. Starts with hops, somewhere there are malts - there is a trace of sweetness but the hops dominate, bitter finish that lingers. $2.30 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma.

2.85/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Clear golden, with minimal head

S: fairly minimal aromatics in this stemless wine glass, I'll have to revisit as it warms a touch and there's a little more room in the glass... nope, never really develops.

T: A bitterness assault, resiny and piney in a particularly woody/vegetal way, like chewing on a sprig.

F: A little heavy bodied for a regular IPA. Lots of heavy, mouth-coating bitterness. Induced almost a bit of post-nasal-drip feeling in the throat.

O: In the classic style, no doubt, but not really what I feel like the modern IPA drinker is looking for.

2.88/5  rDev -31.9%

Every bottle I've ever had of this has been near or past it's best by date. So I've never wanted to review it. Since Stone is leaving the state I'm forced to review what I can get. 10/6/10 is the latest date I could find.

A: Poured into my delerium tulip the beer is bright orange gold. A full finger of white head receded rather quick leaving soapy lace. No cap.

S: Huge pine blast that fades into a mild burnt rubber tone. Not much else going on here.

T: Very one note. I've had this on tap so I know it's not just a freshness thing. This beer is all bitter all the time. Piney, acrid and harsh. Again maybe a touch of burnt tires.

M: Medium body with modest carbonation.

D: Overall as always an absolute chore to drink. I love hop bombs but this is nowhere near that. I really don't see why this beer gets so much praise.

2.9/5  rDev -31.4%

Big thanks to Mzwolinski for bringing this one over.
I was really surprised to have a taste of this one. This is totally new to me.

Poured it in a robust Hoegaarden glass.
Smells very fruity: raspberry and peaches. Combined with spices and malty caramel.
It pours out a blond-amber coloured beer. Not a lot of head, but a good carbonation.
A very bitter fruit skin taste with rich hops, unripe citrus is very overpowering and lingers on into the aftertaste.
This is a full bodied beer, but totally not my taste.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat!

2.9/5  rDev -31.4%

Stone, what did you do? I'm disappointed in you.

Appearance: VERY cloudy, almost looks like a hefeweizen in my glass. It's got more dull-glow apricot than shiny pumpkin in the hue department.

Aroma: Syrupy up front, with a hit-over-the-head of grapefruit and tangerine hops.

Taste: Syrupy pine needles (or is that sap?) meet over-the-top dry (or is that raw?) hops of the extreme grapefruit variety. This is a dog with a loud bark. The bite, though, reveals it to be of the little-and-yappy variety.

Palate: How can a 6.9% ABV brew with a syrupy start be *thin*? I'm not sure, but this one certainly is. And the doggone grapefruit trope only contributes to the illusion that I'm actually drinking (thin) fresh-squeezed juice.

Overall: I love the Stone Brewery. Arrogant Bastard, Oaked AB, Levitation...but this one, not so much. You guys missed the mark here. I think it would go well with my breakfast tomorrow morning...in a juice glass.

2.92/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

My search for an IPA I like continues. Purchased a non-refrigerated 22 ounce bottle of this one from Whole Foods, chilled it to what I believe was a couple of degrees below 50 and poured it into a pint glass. Found the beer to be overwhelmingly hoppy. I see the beer is dry hopped. Maybe I need an IPA that's not dry hopped, if there is such a thing. Maybe it's California IPAs that I don't enjoy. I believe that's all I've tried so far. Maybe I ought to try a "session IPA". If I am anything, it is persistent. I will keep looking.

2.94/5  rDev -30.5%

Aroma: Slightly spicy, slightly sweet, but with no hop to it.

Appearance: Pours a translucent orange-yellow with a 1/4" head that quickly fades, leaving excellent lacing.

Taste: A slightly sweet start fades into a grassy hop taste that doesn't stick around long.

Mouthfeel: Thin, without being watery, with a nice crispness to it.

Overall, a decent IPA. There is some hop in the taste, though it's not as strong as I like and disappears too quickly. I was also disappointed by the lack of any hop in the nose. The mouthfeel isn't bad, though I think it could be a bit less thin.

2.98/5  rDev -29.6%

I heard so much about Stone IPA, now that I've had two different IPAs, I'm beginning to think IPAs are the brew for me...

Stone IPA pours out of the bottle an orange tinged amber, cloudy, but still appealing to the eyes. The head is small, has no staying power, but surprisingly laces all the way down the glass. The mouthfeel was very strong and overpowering on the carbonation - possibly the highest carbonation I've tried to date - it just detracted from the taste. The taste itself was IPA all the way - something I've come to terms with that I'm just not a fan of. Overall, it's a good beer, but not much better or worse than the other IPA I've tried.

2.98/5  rDev -29.6%

I went to Richmond and visited total wine witht the intention of tasting some brews I cannot get in Missouri-where I go to school. Anything from Stone was high on my list. This ale did not live up to its reputation. Apearance and smell were average. A nice hoppy aroma was very apparant signalling a good IPA. The taste was average as well. The ale seemed to possess no balance. The consistency was very light,which I did not like. It was hoppy enough for an IPA, but something did not click for me. Other IPA's, such as those put out by Great Divide and Avery, are more to my taste. I was excited about this ale and almost wonder if I got a bad bottle of the IPA and Smoked Porter, considering the rave reviews they recieve.

2.98/5  rDev -29.6%

Purchased from Woody's Smokes and Brews, Franklin, TN.

I drank this one a while back and took detailed notes, but never got around to inputting the data into BA. Mostly because, well, I'm afraid that I'm going to have to drive the review average down a bit for this beer.

This beer poured a dark yellow-orange hue with a thick white head. The head disappeared quickly, leaving but a tiny bit of "soap residue" at the top of the glass. A nice pour for an IPA, pleasant and inviting, but nothing overwhelmingly good.

The nose contains pretty much two things: a nice fruity grapefruit ester, with tons and tons of hops thrown in for good (?) measure. Hops dominated this nose more thoroughly than any other beer I've ever tasted.

Taste is very similar, with the fruit backbone completely overwhelmed by the overall hoppiness of the beer. To me, this beer was completely overdone with hops, with absolutely no attempt made to balance out the tasting experience with anything else. While tasting, I scribbled down a 3.0 for the taste, so that's what I'm giving it, but in my memory it stands a bit lower, more like a 2.0 or 2.5.

I found the mouthfeel here to be medium-bodied with a large dose of carbonation for good measure. About what I'd expect for an IPA, nothing special, nothing terrible.

I originally wrote down a 3.0 for the drinkability here, but I'm downgrading it a bit because I don't actively look forward to trying it again for awhile. I was expecting something really nice from this beer, but I was certainly underwhelmed by this one.

Just to be fair, I love, love, love Arrogant Bastard, find it to be one of the finest substances ever to touch my lips. That beer's just about as hoppy as this one, but it has such an invigorating mouthfeel and up-front splash of fruit that the hops seem balanced in comparison -- the extremes on both end mesh perfectly and create a brew that actually seems to strive to push the boundaries of what a perfectly-crafted beer can be. I'm not a hophead, so their IPA just seems to be, as another review put it, "liquid hop juice". Lovers of hop-bombs will love this one; I just happen to not be one of them.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.