Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,862 | Hads: 10,153
2.54/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Its alright. Don't understand the hype but they are a top notch brewery this just ain't enough citrus or any fruity hop presence enough for me to purchase again. (161 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -38.2%

Served on draught into a generic beer glass at The Lab in Los Angeles (by USC). Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a two finger head of nice soft cream, fair thickness, and decent retention. Colour is a hazy light gold.

Sm: Light floral and banana notes, some bubblegum, and orange peel. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Admixtures of the notes on the nose form a bad balance. Structurally, it's problematic, with no satisfying climax. Poorly built and balanced.

Mf: Sharp, coarse, and wet. Terrible. Doesn't suit the body at all. A classic example of the problem with IPAs.

Dr: I was disappointed having heard such great things about Stone Brewing. I paid 5 USD in LA, which isn't terrible, but I won't be having this one again.

---
12/05/13: It's been over 2 years since I sat down with this beer, and I figured I'd add some truncated notes since my palate's probably developed.

12 fl oz brown glass bottle served into a conical Guinness pint glass in low altitude Castle Rock, CO. Reviewed live. Enjoy by: 12/24/13.

Served cold. Side-poured.

A: No bubble show.

Pours a 3 finger wide head of white colour. Fluffy. Okay creaminess. Decent thickness. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Retention is above average - about 4 minutes.

Body colour is a clear textbook copper of above avg vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. Translucent.

Standard fare for an IPA overall. Not unique or special.

Sm: Plenty of generic floral hop character. Pale malts. A hint of grapefruit. Pine. Some mango. Maybe even passionfruit. Fairly grassy. Plenty of hop bitterness is detectable, and the malts seem inadequate to balance it. I'm really concerned about the balance. There's maybe a brief hint of crackery malts.

A clean aroma - no yeast character or alcohol presence is noticeable.

T: Hop character: primarily floral, with some lighter notes of pine, mango fruit, grapefruit, and some tropical fruit. The pine is nice I guess. As it warms, I pick up a stale orange juice note - one of the off-notes that indicates a subpar IPA.

Pale malts. Maybe some caramalt.

The hop bitterness overwhelms what little malty sweetness there is, resulting in an annoying imbalance. I do like some of the fruity notes here. It has a loose cohesion, but feels a bit thrown together. Too bitter on the finish. Not gestalt, unique, special, nuanced, intricate, complex, or subtle. Average depth and duration of flavour. Above average intensity of flavour.

Mf: Smooth, wet, rough, unrefreshing, and overcarbonated. Suits the flavour profile okay. Doesn't seem at all custom-tailored to the taste.

Dr: Downable but problematic. Stone, as usual, displays little awareness of balance with this beer. I won't be buying it again, nor would I recommend it to friends. I remain shocked by this beer's high ratings. It's by no means world-class, or even above average. I stand by my initial rating.

C- (2,926 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -37.5%

Poured into pint glass.

A: Hazy orange with a finger of fluffy white head that has good longevity.

S: Fruit (citrus: grapefruit, orange zest) and some light caramel malt. I'm getting some woodsy aromas as well. Not quite fully piney (like the Bridgeport IPA) but... herbal?

T/M: Oh, yikes. Way, way, way, way too phenolic. Malt and fruit suggested by the nose get totally overwhelmed by a pronounced flavor of Band-Aids. Extremely unpleasant, and somewhat greasy on the palate. I can tell that there's fruit in here, and I can sense the maltiness, but they both lose to the band-aids.

D: I drank most of the first pint, but poured the rest of my bomber down the drain. Ruination was a great beer, but this one...not so much. (739 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -35.8%

A: Nice Golden Color with thick creamy head

S: Big Hops. Grapefruit, Oranges, Lemons....Very Strong Nose.

T: Really nice California IPA, great citrus tones with a grapefruit finish

M: Medium body, slightly above average carbonation

D: Very well balanced beer from Stone, one of those beers that go well with anything. Nothing that impresses, but definitely consistent. (372 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -35.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

The brew pours a pale straw-yellow color with only a minimal head. Very quickly the foam dies down to a small ring leaving no real lacing to speak of.

The smell was interesting, plenty of IPA notes of hops with a predominance of floral and grassy notes.

The taste was quite disappointing for a Stone brew. While there was a balance of malt and hops, the hops notes were anything but attractive. Instead of a bold, active hops note there was some light, lavendar floral taste. Not at all what I'd expect from an American IPA. I usually praise beers that are balanced and this one certainly has a good bready malt body to balance the hops but there's really no hops to balance.

Mouthfeel is pretty good, it's a medium bodied brew with enough carbonation to clean the palate between sips. There are no oily or astringent aftertaste to detract from the experience.

As for drinkability, I think it speaks volumes that I regret having bought a six pack of this before trying one. I'm about halfway through and my opinion hasn't changed - this just isn't an interesting IPA. (1,079 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -34.4%

Pours a white, two finger-head that vanishes slowly leaving a good lace. Clear light amber color. Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Nose is a strong hop. Starts with hops, somewhere there are malts - there is a trace of sweetness but the hops dominate, bitter finish that lingers. $2.30 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma. (346 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Clear golden, with minimal head

S: fairly minimal aromatics in this stemless wine glass, I'll have to revisit as it warms a touch and there's a little more room in the glass... nope, never really develops.

T: A bitterness assault, resiny and piney in a particularly woody/vegetal way, like chewing on a sprig.

F: A little heavy bodied for a regular IPA. Lots of heavy, mouth-coating bitterness. Induced almost a bit of post-nasal-drip feeling in the throat.

O: In the classic style, no doubt, but not really what I feel like the modern IPA drinker is looking for. (573 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -32.1%

Every bottle I've ever had of this has been near or past it's best by date. So I've never wanted to review it. Since Stone is leaving the state I'm forced to review what I can get. 10/6/10 is the latest date I could find.

A: Poured into my delerium tulip the beer is bright orange gold. A full finger of white head receded rather quick leaving soapy lace. No cap.

S: Huge pine blast that fades into a mild burnt rubber tone. Not much else going on here.

T: Very one note. I've had this on tap so I know it's not just a freshness thing. This beer is all bitter all the time. Piney, acrid and harsh. Again maybe a touch of burnt tires.

M: Medium body with modest carbonation.

D: Overall as always an absolute chore to drink. I love hop bombs but this is nowhere near that. I really don't see why this beer gets so much praise. (831 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -31.6%

Big thanks to Mzwolinski for bringing this one over.
I was really surprised to have a taste of this one. This is totally new to me.

Poured it in a robust Hoegaarden glass.
Smells very fruity: raspberry and peaches. Combined with spices and malty caramel.
It pours out a blond-amber coloured beer. Not a lot of head, but a good carbonation.
A very bitter fruit skin taste with rich hops, unripe citrus is very overpowering and lingers on into the aftertaste.
This is a full bodied beer, but totally not my taste.

Ut Vivat, Crescat, Floreat! (550 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -31.6%

Stone, what did you do? I'm disappointed in you.

Appearance: VERY cloudy, almost looks like a hefeweizen in my glass. It's got more dull-glow apricot than shiny pumpkin in the hue department.

Aroma: Syrupy up front, with a hit-over-the-head of grapefruit and tangerine hops.

Taste: Syrupy pine needles (or is that sap?) meet over-the-top dry (or is that raw?) hops of the extreme grapefruit variety. This is a dog with a loud bark. The bite, though, reveals it to be of the little-and-yappy variety.

Palate: How can a 6.9% ABV brew with a syrupy start be *thin*? I'm not sure, but this one certainly is. And the doggone grapefruit trope only contributes to the illusion that I'm actually drinking (thin) fresh-squeezed juice.

Overall: I love the Stone Brewery. Arrogant Bastard, Oaked AB, Levitation...but this one, not so much. You guys missed the mark here. I think it would go well with my breakfast tomorrow morning...in a juice glass. (944 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -30.7%

Aroma: Slightly spicy, slightly sweet, but with no hop to it.

Appearance: Pours a translucent orange-yellow with a 1/4" head that quickly fades, leaving excellent lacing.

Taste: A slightly sweet start fades into a grassy hop taste that doesn't stick around long.

Mouthfeel: Thin, without being watery, with a nice crispness to it.

Overall, a decent IPA. There is some hop in the taste, though it's not as strong as I like and disappears too quickly. I was also disappointed by the lack of any hop in the nose. The mouthfeel isn't bad, though I think it could be a bit less thin. (590 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -29.7%

Purchased from Woody's Smokes and Brews, Franklin, TN.

I drank this one a while back and took detailed notes, but never got around to inputting the data into BA. Mostly because, well, I'm afraid that I'm going to have to drive the review average down a bit for this beer.

This beer poured a dark yellow-orange hue with a thick white head. The head disappeared quickly, leaving but a tiny bit of "soap residue" at the top of the glass. A nice pour for an IPA, pleasant and inviting, but nothing overwhelmingly good.

The nose contains pretty much two things: a nice fruity grapefruit ester, with tons and tons of hops thrown in for good (?) measure. Hops dominated this nose more thoroughly than any other beer I've ever tasted.

Taste is very similar, with the fruit backbone completely overwhelmed by the overall hoppiness of the beer. To me, this beer was completely overdone with hops, with absolutely no attempt made to balance out the tasting experience with anything else. While tasting, I scribbled down a 3.0 for the taste, so that's what I'm giving it, but in my memory it stands a bit lower, more like a 2.0 or 2.5.

I found the mouthfeel here to be medium-bodied with a large dose of carbonation for good measure. About what I'd expect for an IPA, nothing special, nothing terrible.

I originally wrote down a 3.0 for the drinkability here, but I'm downgrading it a bit because I don't actively look forward to trying it again for awhile. I was expecting something really nice from this beer, but I was certainly underwhelmed by this one.

Just to be fair, I love, love, love Arrogant Bastard, find it to be one of the finest substances ever to touch my lips. That beer's just about as hoppy as this one, but it has such an invigorating mouthfeel and up-front splash of fruit that the hops seem balanced in comparison -- the extremes on both end mesh perfectly and create a brew that actually seems to strive to push the boundaries of what a perfectly-crafted beer can be. I'm not a hophead, so their IPA just seems to be, as another review put it, "liquid hop juice". Lovers of hop-bombs will love this one; I just happen to not be one of them. (2,174 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -29.7%

I went to Richmond and visited total wine witht the intention of tasting some brews I cannot get in Missouri-where I go to school. Anything from Stone was high on my list. This ale did not live up to its reputation. Apearance and smell were average. A nice hoppy aroma was very apparant signalling a good IPA. The taste was average as well. The ale seemed to possess no balance. The consistency was very light,which I did not like. It was hoppy enough for an IPA, but something did not click for me. Other IPA's, such as those put out by Great Divide and Avery, are more to my taste. I was excited about this ale and almost wonder if I got a bad bottle of the IPA and Smoked Porter, considering the rave reviews they recieve. (725 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -29.7%

poured into a schnifter. pours a light copper with about a finger of medium bodied white head which disappears quickly and leaves stringy lacing.

smells very yeasty, a bit of malt sweetness with an alright piney hop presence.

tastes only a tad piney. very well balanced malt and hop flavors. was hoping for more hop flavor in a ipa though. still not bad

this is one of the best beginner beers out there as it is readily available almost anywhere and is relatively inexpensive. not one of the best ipas but it certainly has earned its reputation. (548 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -29.7%

I heard so much about Stone IPA, now that I've had two different IPAs, I'm beginning to think IPAs are the brew for me...

Stone IPA pours out of the bottle an orange tinged amber, cloudy, but still appealing to the eyes. The head is small, has no staying power, but surprisingly laces all the way down the glass. The mouthfeel was very strong and overpowering on the carbonation - possibly the highest carbonation I've tried to date - it just detracted from the taste. The taste itself was IPA all the way - something I've come to terms with that I'm just not a fan of. Overall, it's a good beer, but not much better or worse than the other IPA I've tried. (657 characters)

Tough to review an interesting and very popular beer that you simply can't drink. In all the categories, smell, taste etc., I had the same reaction, "wow this is really interesting, even complex", but in the end I did not want another one. I am not a "hop head" so I don't relate to being hit over the head with the overbearing, piney, almost tree sap flavor of hops, which is what this beer is all about. I guess I'm one of those who appreciates the balance of flavors in beer and not too much of any one. Very hard to score this "interesting" beer. (550 characters)

I was expecting so much more. Run of the mill IPA for me. FFF pale ale had more hop character than this...gotta pad this...I didn't think much of arroagant bastard either, I've heard rave after rave for this BC...I must try more or another offering of this same brew, I wouldn't want to tarnish a good reputation. (313 characters)

Served on tap into a pint shaker glass. Poured an orangeish/amberish color with a nice foamy 1/4 inch head that quickly disapated. Nice lacing, however. Aromas of malt, hops, and pine. Taste was bitter hops, malt, some pine, and some citrus. Overall, this is not my fav. I tend to like my IPAs more balanced; this one is the west coast hops in your face. Not bad but... (369 characters)

- Pardon the abbreviated review, this was sampled at a free Stone tasting. Special thanks to Big Z's in Huntington NY -

A - Light honey

S - Pine, resin, light citrus.

T - Piney, resiny. Touch of white bread.

M - Light. Moderate carbonation. Semi-sweet finish. (264 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12oz bottle into oskar blues pint glass.
Pours a brite gold color with an inch of rocky bone white head. Aroma, well, there isn't much going on here. Faint malt scent, muted pine hops. Hope this gets better. Flavor follows the scents, muddled hops, muted malt presence. Nice mouthfeel, I'm sure these fine bubbles would help scrub the bitterness from my pallate... if there was any. Overall, I've had american pale ales that blow this beer out of the water. I will add a caveat to this review, I started my night out with alpha king and had this beer right after eating some crackers to "cleanse" my pallate. I also expected an ipa to bring more to the party than it little brother. I will be revisiting this beer, but my initial impression is that stone may be needing a facelift with this brew. (810 characters)

I like other Stone products but this IPA is really nothing much. I've had much better IPAs for this price (Anderson Valley comes to mind). Definitely would expect more from west coast brewers. It is especially strange because their Ruination IPA is just delicious! My advice: go with Ruination IPA (298 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -29%

It pours a clear filtered? yellow with a small white head, this could be a pilsner and giving it 3 makes me wonder if I'm too kind just because it's Stone. Aroma is hop essence literally.. with a hint of fuel and quite salty as well together with the more traditional citrus, lemon and grapefruity profiles. A good sniffing which appeals me by its originality. Taste surprises right away being very citric. I simply don't understand how so many people can love it that much since it's so distracting? Neverthless, there's a touch of honey malt and it's very clean. Talking about balance is totally out of place though and it didn't seem particularly pleasant. The body is honest, a solid medium body, but not as mouth-filling as other Stones I've had. Basically, this was totally blown away by the Lost Coast Indica we've had just before. Just altogether way too citric sour for my liking, possibly the tartest IPA I've had to date and while it's a characteristic I truly love in many belgians, it didn't seem to fit here. Thanks Martin! (1,037 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -28.8%

This is ok, slightly with some malty sweetness to round out the hoppiness. However, it is still rather simple, straightfoward in citrusy hops, and too rough on the hops, a sharp, rough hop bitterness with little real flavour taking over in the finish, drying out my mought and making my tongue and throat feel like someone energetically rubbed them with a terrycloth towel.

It orange gold, it has a thin, white head shrinking to a foamy ring and a little weak lace.

The aroma is mostly citrusy hops, especially grapefruit, with a hint of pine.

The taste is again mostly citrus - grapefruit - with pine and a light raisiny grain sweetness underneath, but not quite enough to carry it. It's far too bitter, with some malty sweetness to balance and a grain element in the finish, but too unbalanced and sharply bitter. Making a beer, even an IPA really bitter, simply does not to me equal good beer. (901 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -28.5%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

This beer pours a light gold semi clear with a big white and very good lacing.

Its aroma is very hoppy with light notes of honey and citrus.

The taste is just overwhelmingly hoppy. Thats all that dominates throughout the whole tasting instead of a very nice bite at the end. Just too bitter to be a great IPA. (355 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -28.3%

12oz bottle poured into a nonic. Thick antique white head starts off around an inch and fades to a bare skim on the surface. The beer is a slightly cloudy gold. Head leaves just a little spotty lacing.

Aroma is predominantly hop, backed by a mixture of fruit, apple, banana, a little fresh baked white bread. It's nice but all pretty faint. I really have to stick my nose in and swirl to get it.

Taste is almost all hop, a little like sucking on a hop cone (and I really don't recommend sucking on hop cones). An astringent bitterness right up front. Again, a little apple and bread under the hops. Just enough malt to let you know that this isn't just a fizzy tincture of hop, but not nearly enough to provide any balance. Finish is dry with more bitterness sticking in the back of the throat. It'll be there for a long time. That's not necessarily a bad thing in my book, but I wish there were more malt to fill things out. The result is that it all comes across as harsh and thin. I think I like what their yeast is doing, it would be nice if it had more to do. There is some sense of the alcoholic strength near the end, but very understated, doesn't seem like a 6.9% ABV.

Mouthfeel is thin, a little watery. It helps drinkability, but is a little unsatisfying. I doubt I'll bother getting another one. (1,315 characters)

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.