Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,849 | Hads: 10,076
2.98/5  rDev -29.7%

I heard so much about Stone IPA, now that I've had two different IPAs, I'm beginning to think IPAs are the brew for me...

Stone IPA pours out of the bottle an orange tinged amber, cloudy, but still appealing to the eyes. The head is small, has no staying power, but surprisingly laces all the way down the glass. The mouthfeel was very strong and overpowering on the carbonation - possibly the highest carbonation I've tried to date - it just detracted from the taste. The taste itself was IPA all the way - something I've come to terms with that I'm just not a fan of. Overall, it's a good beer, but not much better or worse than the other IPA I've tried. (657 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -29.7%

I went to Richmond and visited total wine witht the intention of tasting some brews I cannot get in Missouri-where I go to school. Anything from Stone was high on my list. This ale did not live up to its reputation. Apearance and smell were average. A nice hoppy aroma was very apparant signalling a good IPA. The taste was average as well. The ale seemed to possess no balance. The consistency was very light,which I did not like. It was hoppy enough for an IPA, but something did not click for me. Other IPA's, such as those put out by Great Divide and Avery, are more to my taste. I was excited about this ale and almost wonder if I got a bad bottle of the IPA and Smoked Porter, considering the rave reviews they recieve. (725 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -29.7%

Purchased from Woody's Smokes and Brews, Franklin, TN.

I drank this one a while back and took detailed notes, but never got around to inputting the data into BA. Mostly because, well, I'm afraid that I'm going to have to drive the review average down a bit for this beer.

This beer poured a dark yellow-orange hue with a thick white head. The head disappeared quickly, leaving but a tiny bit of "soap residue" at the top of the glass. A nice pour for an IPA, pleasant and inviting, but nothing overwhelmingly good.

The nose contains pretty much two things: a nice fruity grapefruit ester, with tons and tons of hops thrown in for good (?) measure. Hops dominated this nose more thoroughly than any other beer I've ever tasted.

Taste is very similar, with the fruit backbone completely overwhelmed by the overall hoppiness of the beer. To me, this beer was completely overdone with hops, with absolutely no attempt made to balance out the tasting experience with anything else. While tasting, I scribbled down a 3.0 for the taste, so that's what I'm giving it, but in my memory it stands a bit lower, more like a 2.0 or 2.5.

I found the mouthfeel here to be medium-bodied with a large dose of carbonation for good measure. About what I'd expect for an IPA, nothing special, nothing terrible.

I originally wrote down a 3.0 for the drinkability here, but I'm downgrading it a bit because I don't actively look forward to trying it again for awhile. I was expecting something really nice from this beer, but I was certainly underwhelmed by this one.

Just to be fair, I love, love, love Arrogant Bastard, find it to be one of the finest substances ever to touch my lips. That beer's just about as hoppy as this one, but it has such an invigorating mouthfeel and up-front splash of fruit that the hops seem balanced in comparison -- the extremes on both end mesh perfectly and create a brew that actually seems to strive to push the boundaries of what a perfectly-crafted beer can be. I'm not a hophead, so their IPA just seems to be, as another review put it, "liquid hop juice". Lovers of hop-bombs will love this one; I just happen to not be one of them. (2,174 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -29.7%

poured into a schnifter. pours a light copper with about a finger of medium bodied white head which disappears quickly and leaves stringy lacing.

smells very yeasty, a bit of malt sweetness with an alright piney hop presence.

tastes only a tad piney. very well balanced malt and hop flavors. was hoping for more hop flavor in a ipa though. still not bad

this is one of the best beginner beers out there as it is readily available almost anywhere and is relatively inexpensive. not one of the best ipas but it certainly has earned its reputation. (548 characters)

I like other Stone products but this IPA is really nothing much. I've had much better IPAs for this price (Anderson Valley comes to mind). Definitely would expect more from west coast brewers. It is especially strange because their Ruination IPA is just delicious! My advice: go with Ruination IPA (298 characters)

Tough to review an interesting and very popular beer that you simply can't drink. In all the categories, smell, taste etc., I had the same reaction, "wow this is really interesting, even complex", but in the end I did not want another one. I am not a "hop head" so I don't relate to being hit over the head with the overbearing, piney, almost tree sap flavor of hops, which is what this beer is all about. I guess I'm one of those who appreciates the balance of flavors in beer and not too much of any one. Very hard to score this "interesting" beer. (550 characters)

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12oz bottle into oskar blues pint glass.
Pours a brite gold color with an inch of rocky bone white head. Aroma, well, there isn't much going on here. Faint malt scent, muted pine hops. Hope this gets better. Flavor follows the scents, muddled hops, muted malt presence. Nice mouthfeel, I'm sure these fine bubbles would help scrub the bitterness from my pallate... if there was any. Overall, I've had american pale ales that blow this beer out of the water. I will add a caveat to this review, I started my night out with alpha king and had this beer right after eating some crackers to "cleanse" my pallate. I also expected an ipa to bring more to the party than it little brother. I will be revisiting this beer, but my initial impression is that stone may be needing a facelift with this brew. (810 characters)

Served on tap into a pint shaker glass. Poured an orangeish/amberish color with a nice foamy 1/4 inch head that quickly disapated. Nice lacing, however. Aromas of malt, hops, and pine. Taste was bitter hops, malt, some pine, and some citrus. Overall, this is not my fav. I tend to like my IPAs more balanced; this one is the west coast hops in your face. Not bad but... (369 characters)

I was expecting so much more. Run of the mill IPA for me. FFF pale ale had more hop character than this...gotta pad this...I didn't think much of arroagant bastard either, I've heard rave after rave for this BC...I must try more or another offering of this same brew, I wouldn't want to tarnish a good reputation. (313 characters)

- Pardon the abbreviated review, this was sampled at a free Stone tasting. Special thanks to Big Z's in Huntington NY -

A - Light honey

S - Pine, resin, light citrus.

T - Piney, resiny. Touch of white bread.

M - Light. Moderate carbonation. Semi-sweet finish. (264 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -29%

It pours a clear filtered? yellow with a small white head, this could be a pilsner and giving it 3 makes me wonder if I'm too kind just because it's Stone. Aroma is hop essence literally.. with a hint of fuel and quite salty as well together with the more traditional citrus, lemon and grapefruity profiles. A good sniffing which appeals me by its originality. Taste surprises right away being very citric. I simply don't understand how so many people can love it that much since it's so distracting? Neverthless, there's a touch of honey malt and it's very clean. Talking about balance is totally out of place though and it didn't seem particularly pleasant. The body is honest, a solid medium body, but not as mouth-filling as other Stones I've had. Basically, this was totally blown away by the Lost Coast Indica we've had just before. Just altogether way too citric sour for my liking, possibly the tartest IPA I've had to date and while it's a characteristic I truly love in many belgians, it didn't seem to fit here. Thanks Martin! (1,037 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -28.8%

This is ok, slightly with some malty sweetness to round out the hoppiness. However, it is still rather simple, straightfoward in citrusy hops, and too rough on the hops, a sharp, rough hop bitterness with little real flavour taking over in the finish, drying out my mought and making my tongue and throat feel like someone energetically rubbed them with a terrycloth towel.

It orange gold, it has a thin, white head shrinking to a foamy ring and a little weak lace.

The aroma is mostly citrusy hops, especially grapefruit, with a hint of pine.

The taste is again mostly citrus - grapefruit - with pine and a light raisiny grain sweetness underneath, but not quite enough to carry it. It's far too bitter, with some malty sweetness to balance and a grain element in the finish, but too unbalanced and sharply bitter. Making a beer, even an IPA really bitter, simply does not to me equal good beer. (901 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -28.5%

I drank this from a bottle into a chalice.

This beer pours a light gold semi clear with a big white and very good lacing.

Its aroma is very hoppy with light notes of honey and citrus.

The taste is just overwhelmingly hoppy. Thats all that dominates throughout the whole tasting instead of a very nice bite at the end. Just too bitter to be a great IPA. (355 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -28.3%

12oz bottle poured into a nonic. Thick antique white head starts off around an inch and fades to a bare skim on the surface. The beer is a slightly cloudy gold. Head leaves just a little spotty lacing.

Aroma is predominantly hop, backed by a mixture of fruit, apple, banana, a little fresh baked white bread. It's nice but all pretty faint. I really have to stick my nose in and swirl to get it.

Taste is almost all hop, a little like sucking on a hop cone (and I really don't recommend sucking on hop cones). An astringent bitterness right up front. Again, a little apple and bread under the hops. Just enough malt to let you know that this isn't just a fizzy tincture of hop, but not nearly enough to provide any balance. Finish is dry with more bitterness sticking in the back of the throat. It'll be there for a long time. That's not necessarily a bad thing in my book, but I wish there were more malt to fill things out. The result is that it all comes across as harsh and thin. I think I like what their yeast is doing, it would be nice if it had more to do. There is some sense of the alcoholic strength near the end, but very understated, doesn't seem like a 6.9% ABV.

Mouthfeel is thin, a little watery. It helps drinkability, but is a little unsatisfying. I doubt I'll bother getting another one. (1,315 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -27.6%

I generally like IPAs--Dogfish Head 60 minute, Great Divide Titan IPA, Bell's Two Hearted, Great Lakes Erie Monster--but this was just too hoppy for me. The appearance is nice, and the smell is very floral and complex with plenty of dry hopping. Unlike the aforementioned IPAs, though, there's no notable malt sweetness, perhaps just enough to make the beer palatable (but not enjoyable). While the bitterness doesn't dry out your mouth, it comes close. If you're totally obsessed with hops or just want something extreme, you might like this beer. (548 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -27.6%

A- a medium amber color wih a .5-1 finger head AR- malty with some citrus and some pine T- same as the nose, except slightly more pronounced malt and an orange/slightly alcohol after taste M- medium bodied with a slight creamy feel O- highly overrated, just an average IPA I've has better and I've had worse (308 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -27.4%

Reviewed from blinded tasting notes.

A. Yellow with a creamy head.

S. Odd hop aroma that is somewhat off-putting.

T. Piney

M. Bitting carbonation that nearly completely disappears half way through the session.

D. Eh - I'm not a fan of the flavor or aroma profile. I'll pass this up.

My lowest scored IPA of the night (under Jai Alai, Alesmith, Sculpin, Columbus, Furious, Two Hearted, Founders Centennial, and Red Racer) (427 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -26.4%

I gave this low marks because the taste just was not there, but after reading other reviews, I realize I must have gotten a bad batch or something. NY is far from CA, I don't know...

Appearance seemed normal, smell very good. The aroma promised a nice, full hoppy taste. But the taste was lacking. A very light hint, and then a little stronger taste of hops on the aftertaste, but pretty weak for any beer.

Like I said, this was not the same beer that everyone else here tasted. I will definitely try this one again, and give a fairer review. (544 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -26.2%

Overall, I'm very unimpressed by this beer. Definitely disappointed.

A: The beer pours a very nice golden brown from a 12 oz bottle with a 1.5-2 finger head after a slightly vigorous pour. The head disappates fairly quickly, but leaves some lacing along the side of the glass.

S: The first smell you get is citrus, specifically grapefruit. A light grassy/piney smell follows and you can pick out some bitter hops.

T: Similar to the nose, only with a very bitter hop flavor coming across. Grapefruit and citrus notes pair with grassy hops before the taste is overwhelmed by bitter notes. If you like your IPAs bitter, you may enjoy this. There's a little malt underlying the beer, but you have to look to find it. Overall, the flavor is fairly weak, though a touch of bitterness sticks with you through the finish.

M: Very carbonated and light.

O: Meh. If you enjoy really bitter IPAs, you'll be a fan. I enjoy bitter hop tastes, but the thinness of the beer and overall light flavor is disappointed. I wanted a lot more from Stone and the beer did not deliver. (1,065 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -26.2%

OK- what is it about this beer that people like so much? Ok, so was at the brewery and man is it cool. One of the coolest in America but this beer was just bitter at the finish. Not balanced, off aroma etc. And, normally when I am at a brewery everything just taste so much better. They have Gardens , FIRE, Water, Fire in Water you name it but I judge a brewery by their IPA and this didn't do it for me. Obviously, 2000 other reviewers disagree but I oh well. (461 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -26.2%

Pours a clear golden amber color with a foamy white head. The head sticks around lacing the glass. The smell is sweet and strong with well.... hops and citrus. The taste is of.... hops and finishes with a grapefruit citrus. The mouthfeel is smooth and lightly carbonated. Drinkable.... yes. (290 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -26.2%

Bottle at home from my Great Brittish Beer Festival haul ... Colour is amber with pretty much no head ...light sweet hop nose ... Big malty front with a long juicy pine hop linger ... quite dry ... more like i expect froma pale ale than a IPA... Ok but not really hitting the spot for me (287 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -25.7%

Please be aware this review comes from a non Hop Head.

Had this one on tap from the Cock and Bull in Glendale, Ohio.

A: Amber in color, possible mahogany.
S: Very citrusy, a lot of grapefruit coming through. Some pine as well.
T: The hops are huge. The citrus/grapefruit hits at first and the grapefruit sticks around and turns to the hoppy bitterness.
M: The bitterness sticks around for a while and the beer packs a nice bite. The hops and citrus flavor mask the alcohol a bit, but the tongue feels the effects.
D: If you are a Hop Head, this is a great beer. If you are not, it's worth a shot. It does what a good, hoppy beer should do. Satisfies your taste buds and hangs around on your pallete a while. (709 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured from a 355ml/12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pale (no surprise there) straw colour, with a decent head, however the head fades pretty sharpish. Mild carbonation with fine bubbles.

S - Clear hops, with light fruits. There is definite orange notes, and a lemony sharpness coming through.

T - The first flavours are fruity, predominantly lemon. Then it's all hops, providing a leveled bitterness to the end. The taste is quite earth, and the grassy hops add to this.

M - Quite light and fizzy on the tongue.

D - Far too hoppy for me, to the point of overpowering my taste buds. Not one of the best IPAs that I have tasted. (639 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -25.5%

stone ipa looks good out of the bottle great straw/orange color with good lacing... after that everything is just a bit above average the smell and taste is ok and drinkable.. it is smooth and a good beer ... but i think it is overrated. the hops are bitter/weak and the pine, grapefruit, and citrus aromas are just not there as i would expect from a" legendary" IPA. this is still a decent IPA...just not one i would keep on rotation.. but still try it if you can find it (472 characters)

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.