1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros

How does this get a rating of 99? I wish "the bro's" could have had some of the six pack I got today, because this was awful. No way in hell they would drink my specific bottles of this and agree that it is world class.

WOW, I have had this beer before and it was decent then, but this time when I am reviewing it, it is horrible. Way too grassy for me, and not alot of pine and citrus that seems to characterize some of the other Stone's. Maybe it is a bad batch? I tossed the rest of the 6 pack out after I drained poured this one. I don't get it, this doesn't seem to have any hops at all.. Bottle date says to drink by 8/18/2014. It is June, so lack of freshness certainly isn't an excuse. What I got here is just completely uneventful and disappointing.

I found the hop characteristics that epitomize Stone beers to be completely non-existent with this specific 6 pack. I actually did a drain pour with a Stone beer (go figure) and am saving for the Sculpin IPA bomber I picked up at Whole Foods. I really dislike this beer. Have no idea what the deal is with this six pack I picked up, but will not be getting it again.

Hazy gold colored ale with an aroma of pine.Taste is pine and malt.This has an "A' with over 1200 reviews???This is one of the 10 top worse tasting beers I've ever had.It reminds me of the Pine Sol my grandmom used to clean the house with.I don't get.Can you say overhyped??

2.17/5  rDev -48.6%

Drinking from a cold bottle 22oz. Decent aroma, with a hint of fruit. crisp mouthfeel, but than the full flavor and aftertaste comes in, and it ruins it. This beer has a somewhat insipid fruity taste mixed with hops. I don't like beer that tastes fruity, and this ruined this for me. wanted to like it but like most ales for me, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

2.23/5  rDev -47.2%

This bottle was bought at a local supermarket with a best by date of 6/15/10.
Poured into a beer glass with a big, thick head.
Had to do some emergency sipping to prevent a spill over.
My first impression of the smell left me very eager to take this encounter to the next level and take a gulp.
I've heard so much great stuff about Stone products, so my expectations coming into this session are very high...but OMG, this stuff is sour. I might detect some clove, if so, that would explain this reaction I'm having. There is some citrus note struggling to present itself , but it keeps getting slammed back by the taste of turpentine and who knows what gawdawful spice that dominates.
Either I got hold of a bad one, or we just have "a failure to communicate" going on here.
I'll go back to drinking my Torpedos in ignorant bliss, I guess.
In retrospect, the letter grade that this reviewer gives this brew is higher than my overall impression of what I just drank...the difference is how BA assigns value to aspects of the beer [like appearance]that do not count at the end of the day, but helped to jack up the score here.
I would personally rate this beer a solid "D-" if all there was to consider was what I just drank.

2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

It makes me feel like a pussy because Stone prides themselves on having aggressive tasting beers, but this one is not for me. It has no balance whatsoever. It seems like Stone purposefully made it unbalanced so that it would be as hoppy and bitter as possible.

Maybe I got a bad batch, or maybe everyone else is playing follow the leader with this one.

2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.