Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The IPA That Launched Generations of Hop Fanatics
First Release: August 1997

By definition, an India pale ale is hoppier and higher in alcohol than its little brother, pale ale—and we deliver in spades. Now one of the most well-respected and best-selling IPAs in the country, this golden beauty explodes with citrusy, piney hop flavors and aromas, all perfectly balanced by a subtle malt character. This crisp, extra hoppy brew is hugely refreshing on a hot day, but will always deliver no matter when you choose to drink it.

Added by kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Reviews: 2,928 | Ratings: 10,572
4.57/5  rDev +8%

Wow! Unbelievable IPA. Hoppy is all hell. This beer doesn't need much description because it is damn near perfect. The best description of it would be this: Hops hops hops hops hops hops hops hops hops hops hops and more hops. Nice color, thick head sticks to glass. Excellent almost permanent retention. Smell is dominated by hops. Taste hops again. Although for the amount of hops it has, it is still remarkably balanced. Nice medium to full bodied feel. Carbonation on par. Drinkability is great as long as you like hoppy brews. Awesome IPA.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

A- Poured a slightly hazy dark straw with about a 2 finger small bubble head. Good lacing and great retention.

S- Citrus, pine resin, almost grapefruit like. Gets the mouth watering.

T- Nicely hopped (as to be expected from a Stone brew), citrus, and pine. Malty undertone.

M- Bitter and dry, bites you on the back of the tongue.

O- An excellent summer weather IPA. Quenches thirst and not extremely high on the ABV in terms of Stone's standards.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

This beer had a clear gold color with an orange tint and a creamy white head. I loved this smell, piney and floral, a bit of fruit. The first sip gives a hint of malt then a slow build with the hops, citrus then bitter with clean finish. Not too bitter just right. Medium body with lots of carbonation contributes to the clean finish. This beer is easily in my top ten.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

My Benchmark Calli IPA...This was the beer that made me fall in love with hops...Thank you Stone...If I ever make it out to Calli, I will be there...The Crisp finish with the high dryness makes you remember how it tastes the next day...after the gig....

4.57/5  rDev +8%

This is one of my favorite everyday beers. The smeel of hops is abundant with hints of herbs, and grapefruit, maybe some fresh cut grass. Taste has full NA hop flavor with a small malt trace. Undoubtly this beer is all about the bitterness. The aftertaste is quite persisting and a strong hop character lingers in the mouth.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

A- Golden body with a thick white head that sticks all over the sides of the glass.

S- Raw hops and some citrusy fruit aromas.

T- There is underlying malt foundation that pokes through with a little with some sweet, fruity notes. This mixes well with the citrusy hop flavors. The hops dominate overall though. The hop oils and citrusy flavor as well as the bitterness are prominent.

M- Smooth and crisp feel with a moderate carbonation.

D- An awesome IPA.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

A - This beer poured a deep golden color that produced a white fluffy head that had great retention and laced the side of the glass very nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer were hop dominated, orange, lemon and grapefruit flowers

T - The taste of this beer started with a light pale malty beginning, but soon was overtaken by the hoppiness of this beer, all the flavors that I got from the nose

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium body with a light to moderate amount of carboantion

D - I really do not know why this beer does not get more recognition, it is a great IPA and something I will be buying a lot of

4.57/5  rDev +8%

A small bottle sits with slight condensation appearing around the bottom of the bottle. I crack it open with my copyrighted "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" bottle opener. The strong hiss makes me wonder if I shook it up too much on the 8-foot trip from fridge to computer. I pour it into a traditional American Bell Pint glass. Beautiful amber color with minimal white head seems inviting.
The hop aroma is nearly overpowering! This reviewer has never experienced an essence of such strong hopping before. I'm almost a little intimidated. Almost. Regardless, I dive right in expecting something decent from Stone.
Wow! Boom-pop in your mouth! Low carbonation but the wet hopped ale hits your mouth smooth but lingers long enough to encourage you to wait a tick before then next sip. Every sip hits your nostrils as the heavily-hopped brew is agitated. I should mention the malt, because it is done healthily in this case. It balances out the outrageous hopping without becoming too 'pleasing' to the palate.
Beautiful white lacing appears around the glass with each sip. (Should one expect less from Stone?)
Overall, the best IPA I've ever had. Forget my allegiance to the Stone brewing company... this is a solid, GREAT IPA. If you're in the mood for a hoppy IPA and haven't tried this yet, buy yourself a couple!

4.57/5  rDev +8%

On tap at JP O'Malleys Allentown, PA. Clear orange amber pour with a thick, lasting head of white that leaves plenty of lace.

Aroma is fresh and loaded with citrus and light florals backed by honey and light caramel malt.

Flavor bursts with grapefruit and tangerine peel, crushed flowers, and light pine hops. Crisp golden malt notes of light caramel and honey make it perfectly balanced.

Body merdium, creamy and infinately drinkable. I could not recommend a finer accompanimant to O'Malley's incredibly good buffalo wing

Served on tap at Chalkie's in Indianapolis, IN

Appearance: Served in an English Pint glass. A clear amber orange with a rocky white head. This is just a beautiful looking beer.

Smell: Citrusy, floral hops rip my nostrils! A hoppy, bitter smell dominates. Very inviting and a hop-heads delight to be sure.

Taste: Very consistent with the smell. A grapefruit, citrusy sweet taste initially and then a crisp and bitter hop finish.

Mouthfeel: Prickly, medium bodied, and palate blowing!

Drinkability: If I didn't care about my tongue, I would drink them all night! I don't consider myself a huge hop-head and I found myself loving this. It's really a finely crafted beer. Most people probably couldn't make a session out of it but it's refreshing enough that it would work for me. Even if you aren't into hoppy beers, you should try this just to make sure.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

A nice golden-straw colored pour with a strong 1/2" head.... judging from the constant stream of bubbles it looks as though this will be a fairly active beer in terms of carbonation. Nice chunky lacing clinging to the sides.

Huge hoppy profile in the nose. Smells of outdoors.... grass... hay.... as well as some lighter fruits... a bit of pineapple perhaps...maybe some granny smith apple.... all in all quite brilliant.

Tremendous citrussy hop presence.... gorgeous fruit flavor in the back-end... what a bouquet of flavour... tremendously complex and well balanced.... beautiful.

Bitter and tight on the tongue....yet the mouthfeel is not so thin... instead, it is a moderately weighted brew, which seems to perfectly fit the flavour. Perhaps a bit less carbonation would be my only suggestion.

Could drink this all day and all night... which says something for an IPA. Of course my palate would be crushed by the morning, but oh well, it is a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

All in all a fabulous beer.... and very fairly priced.... Stone continues to amaze me.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a bomber into an imperial pint glass.

A: Fantastic! Beautiful clear golden straw color with a thick tan-white head that slowly falls back into the glass as it's consumed with a great amount of lacing.
S: Citrus and Pine hop aromas dominate the nose on this one with some biscuity malt in the background.
T: Pine and citrus hops predominate the flavor as well. Great hop bitterness that is wonderfully balanced with malt sweetness.
M: Rich, crisp and refreshing are the first 3 words that come to mind.
D: This is one of the best stright up IPAs I have ever had. A very easy drinking IPA. Would go great with some spicy food even just a pizza. Highly, highly recommend this one!

on-tap -> pint
@ Birmingham Bridge Tavern & Smoking Joes, Pittsburgh, PA

Pours a golden oranged hazed yellow with a one inch fluffy head that leaves sheets of lace.

Nose: Even in the bar, you can smell the citrus,mostly orange rind, pineapple, hop bomb.

Taste mimics the nose. Citrus hops dominate. Just a sweet taste of malt, but helps alot lending some balance. Bitterness is tamer than expected, but the hop flavors are all over. Fresh orange juice, pineapple, grassy. Fruity and earthy.

Mouth felt medium and creamy. Excellent.

Super easy to drink. Sampled in 2 different bars and nose was incredible, in both a crowded smokin' spot and an empty lunch crowd.

4.57/5  rDev +8%

Probably my favorite ipa, only now getting around to reviewing it
bottle with a 11/1 enjoy by date into a pint glass

Pours a dark gold with a silk white finger and a half of head. Retains quite well, laces beautifully down the glass. At the end of the beer I was able to see where I took each sip on the inside of the glass. Holding it up into the light there are tiny suspended shards of hops, mildly filtered. Mild carbonation spaced evenly along the inside of the glass.

Smell of strong hops, grapefruit, pine, some citrus, a hint of juniper, and some alcohol. Very mild malts in the background break through despite the potency of everything above. One of the best smelling beers I've had

The beer wastes no time and throws a huge hop flavor up front. Grapefruit, citrus, a nice tropical tinge peak through the after taste. Modest malts are nicely represented but the hops are what really take the spot light. With 77 ibus this is one of the stronger ipas I'm aware of, and is guaranteed not to be touched by anyone but myself at a party. Needless to say, not for people who aren't familiar with craft beer

Mouth feel doesn't disappoint either. Bitterness is upfront and wastes no time over whelming the palate. The carbonation is strong enough to give my tongue a tingle but not enough to distract or cover any of the flavor. Very dry finish, very drinkable

Overall this is one of my staple beers. It's cheap and holds over my hop fix between the couple double ipas I get each week. Something I do and will continue to buy often, this is my bench mark for west coast ipas

4.57/5  rDev +8%

12 oz bottle, damn glad this comes in sixers.

An IPA that's great ice cold or warmed up to let the bold flavors shine. Absolutely a classic, and would compete with Alpha King for IPA fridge-space if I could purchase this one locally. My only regret is that I don't have a case or two of this left for this summer.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

I love hops. DFH 60 minute, Smutty...these are nrmally my "go-to's". But Stone has moved up to the #1 spot on my IPA list. The quality Stone puts into every minute detail is extraordinary!!!! If only every American company could model themselves afer Stone...we'd find ourselves in a new era on the global stage.

As soon as the bottle is opened, there's no sense of balance whatsoever, unless your idea of balance is hoppy. On the nose, in the pour, in the color, lacing....all denotes hops. Just a brief hint of maltiness in the middle, then more hops in the finish. That malt and of course the IPA are the only differences between this and Ruination.

Like I said...I'm a Smutty and DFH guy, but with Stone a recent addition to Maryland offerings, it hasn't taken long to make onto my favorite's list.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Enjoy by 03/20/11 printed on the bottle. Consumed on 02/09/11.

A - Pours a beautiful clear gold. White 2 finger head with large bubbles. Leaves incredible lacing. Beautiful beer.

S - Smell is all hops. Citrusy, grapefruity. Great stuff. Very west coast.

T - Starts off nice and balanced. When you attempt to swallow, your tongue is bashed with hop bitterness. Nice crisp finish with a slight grapefruit aftertaste. More balanced than Ruination. Very good.

M - Mouthfeel is right on for the style. Medium with good carbonation. Leaves the bitterness for just long enough.

D - Drinkable because of the nice bitter finish and because it tastes so darn good.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

My 100th review on BA! I wanted to make it something special. I purchased Stone IPA and Ruination at Smyrna World of Beverage. Their "beer geek", Jake, suggested both. Thanks pal! I chose the IPA. I've never had either that I remember. I generally avoid Stone due to the strange descriptions on their bottles.

Pours a beautiful slightly opaque orange (my wife says it's more caramel or golden) into a Duvel tulip glass. The head is two fingers of fluffy white head that leaves thick, sticky lacing behind. It makes me think I should downgrade the other 5's I've given for appearance.

The aroma is strong of pine and citrus hops: lemon peel, orange and tangerine. The citrus is sweeter, rather than bitter like grapefruit. However, once I take a sip, I do get some grapefruit balanced with sweet malts and then a semi-bitter finish. Stone IPA is really a delicious and balanced IPA. My impression of Stone beers is that they want you to think everything they brew is over-the-top and extreme, but the only thing extreme about this one is it is extremely delicious and refreshing. It's more balanced and should have more mass appeal than their propaganda suggests, which I'll disregard from now on.

The more I progress through this bomber the more bitter hop character I get. Still it never seems out of balance; there's always some sweetness and body there as well. The mouth feel is medium with just enough carbonation to keep it refreshing. The 7.7 abv is completely undetectable in the taste, but left me with a little buzz that sneaked up on me.

Stone IPA made for a perfect early evening on this unseasonably nice mid-February day. It went well with a Nicaraguan puro cigar, an aged Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic robusto. This IPA is as good as any of my favorites and will surely be a regular in my fridge from this day forward.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

22oz. bomber, served into a Duvel tulip.

A - Deep golden color, which poured a frothy white head with excellent retention. Lacing was very prominent, and all over the glass.

S - Smell is quite hoppy, yet quite well balanced with florals/spice/citrus blending together nicely.

T&M - Hop bomb. Delicious cascade hops round out the medium body of this brew. Earthy tones, as well as floral, grassy, piney, and citrus flavors balance the hops wonderfully. Bitterness does not stay for long, and fades to an oily, yet refreshing mouthfeel.

D - Drinkability is high. Easy to drink. Nice ABV.

Overall, a top-notch IPA. This beer really sets the standard on the style, and brings it's own little bit of uniquness to the mix as well. Another fine offering from Stone Brewing.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Hazy golden-amber color with a frothy white head that leaves sticky rings of lace.
Floral and citrus hop aroma with some herbal notes along with hints of fruit and sweet malt.
Rich flavor with a good combination of hops and malt. The malt peeks out from the hops with, fruit, a hint of caramel sweetness, and lightly toasted bread. Big time hop flavor with citrus (grapefruit and lemon), pine, and grass, with herbal and floral notes. Tantalizing bitterness is not overpowering, but assertive and draws you in for another glup. Alcohol stays hidden. Finishes dry with hops in the aftertaste.
Medium-full in body, smooth and creamy yet also crisp. Highly drinkable and very tasty.
A great IPA.

Freshness Date: 3/13/07 Tasted On: 3/20/07

A- Pale-copper tinged. Very clear. I like my pale ales pale. This is pale. Two finger head that lasts. Sticky lacing.

S- Huge hop aroma. Citrusy and sprucey notes up front and slight toffee aroma underneath.

T- Starts with a pleasantly clean caramel malt character, grapefruit and pine needles. Finishes with aggressive/astringent bitterness. Harsh but pleasant.

M- Medium body. Nice carbonation, not too much bite but just enough.

D-Extremely drinkable despite it's aggressive character. This is one of my favorite beers and not a month goes by without having one.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

I drank this from a bomber poured into a pint glass.

The smell is fresh and hoppy and just strong enough to be pleasant.

The beer has a very interesting taste. It starts off with a decent hit of hops and then it just goes smooth from there. No big hit o aftertaste or anything like a normal PA.

As a fan of IPA's, I will admit that it is odd that it took me this long to finally get around to trying a favorite like this. I must admit, I look forward to a couple more pints of this and some of the other brews that they offer.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a slightly orangish, golden color. A little lighter in color than most IPA's. Nice thick white head that has good retention and leaves a ton of lace. Aroma is hops. Citrusy grapefruit and pine lead the way here.

Taste is very hoppy. Grapefruit peel is very strong here. Its not pure hops though as some bready malt along with a touch of caramel help balance things out. Lingering bitterness on the palate. Mouthfeel is nice, smooth, pleasant carbonation level. Well worth seeking out while I was in Las Vegas a few weeks ago. Unfortunately its not available in MO, maybe sometime soon it will be. Great beer.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

A-Crystal clear golden amber with a 1/2 inch off white head, lingering to fine white lacing

S-Intense citrusy american hop aroma, Grapefruit and tangerine

T-Citrusy hop flavor up front with smooth, slightly sweet maltiness, finishing dry and bitter, but quite balanced for an IPA

M-Medium bodied, medium carbonation, dry finish

O-Excellent American IPA. Reminiscent of Bell's Two hearted. Would enjoy comparing these side by side. Slightly different hop profile but very similar tasting grain bills.

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%

A: Bright gold with perfect lacing and a perfect head that remains throughout.

S: This cask had Amarillos added to it and even the most novice of beer drinkers can smell them immediately. Fruity notes as well as herbs.

T: Hop spice up front. The beautiful thing about this cask is that by adding the Amarillos another dimension was added without obliterating the other flavors.

M: Bubbly and happy. You will feel and taste the Amarillo hops for some time after this beer is finished.

D: I marked the drinkability down half a point on this because I am not sure if I would want to drink Amarillo hops all evening.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.