Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 9,965 | Reviews: 2,943
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is absolutely the best IPA I've ever had!! Lot's of grapefruit flavor and multi-hops. Very well balanced as well, as it is very malty up front, followed by a tremendous bitter hop freshness. Awesomely smooth and drinkability is outstanding. Very highly recommended.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: a rich golden yellow with a really nice 1-2 cm head that dissipates down to a 1 cm head. It forms a really nice head, it is really a vibrant and appealing beer.

Smell: Pine and citrus. I smell a touch of sweetness. I have had a few IPA’s this one smells quite appealing. The smell does get weaker a minute or so after the pour.

Taste: After taking the first taste, I realize it may be a bit warmer then it should be – my thermometer reads 51 F, so I suppose it is just a touch too warm. The hops are there and they add a nice citrus-pine flavor but there is also quite a bit of sweet malt as well. This beer is phenomenal, I was expecting it to be more intense then it is, but I was really happily surprised. There is defiantly a good touch of hop bitterness in the background.

Mouthfeel: Good solid carbonation, moderately thick texture, I would consider this to have a good mouthfeel

Drinkability: This is almost 7% ABV? Wow…. I am not prepared to drink another one (no more in the fridge) and I only have 5 left… next time I go back to MI I may be picking up another 6 pack, or a case… this beer could easily become a new favorite. I need to try it 5 degrees colder.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Deep golden color with a white fluffy head. Detailed lacing goes down the glass as you enjoy this fabulous ale. Spicy hopped aroma hits your senses like a sledgehammer. The flavor hits the perfect balance between rich malt and bitter hop flavor. The flavor has you by the throat but the funny part is that this is the most drinkable IPA I have EVER tasted. You could drink this for hours contently except for the manly 6.9% ABV. Wow! This may be the most awesome ale ever except for SN Celebration Ale.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

WoW. This is one amazing beer. I had been waiting for a while for more Stone brews to come to Texas, and got very excited when I saw the IPA at the store, sadly there was only one bottle left. The beer pours a nice golden color with a white foamy head. The beer is very bubbly and makes it quite nice to look at after it is poured. The smell of the beer is great, very very hoppy, with a fruit smell, possibly grapefruit. With the first taste the hops hit you like a hammer, then the fruit kicks in, all of the flavors meld terrific.The beer is dry yet wet at the same time, making this one great beer for hot weather. This goes on my list as one of my top beers. Hopefully more Stone brews become available here soon.

4.6/5  rDev +9%

I picked this up at the Westover Market in Arlington, VA. I've had it before, but this is my first review of it.

Appearance: copper-orange with a nice 3/4" white head on the pour
Smell: mostly hops
Taste: dominated by hops...maybe some cascades in there...it seems the bisuity malt flavor becomes more prevalent as the beer gets warmer
Mouthfeel: medium body
Drinkability: could do 2 in a night

Overall, a very impressive beer....will have many more times in the future.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Stone IPA is one of, well, it is my favorite beer. I can drink a Stone IPA and completely change my mood. Stone is probably the best example of an American IPA available. I've made IPAs a focus of my beer drinking and sampling and I can say without hyperbole, this is a great beer. Of course it is better on draught than in the bottle, but I had a 12 oz bottle of it served in my Stone IPA glass. Medium head, strong aroma of cascade hops, dark yellow, clear (although sometimes the bottles are cloudy). Excellent mouthfeel, a great amount of hops but the bitterness is not overpowering.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I can't stay away from this beer. I had taken a break from it for a while, but after tasting it a few weeks ago, I can't stay away too long anymore. It pours a brilliant copper color with a 3 finger head that leaves a very sticky lace as it recedes.

The nose is just awesome. Caramel, light cotton-candy sweetness, brilliant, chewy lupulin-infested hoppy goodness. I get a lot of grapefruity citrusy sweet hop over a very nice sweet caramel base.

Flavor is incredibly balanced. The caramel sweet malt is there, but not offensively sweet. It is overlayed with a light peppery, moderate pine and citrus hop. Maybe some chinook? The bitter is not big and offensive, but hangs on very well into the finish. Very clean. Very tasty.

The feel is moderate to thick. Carbonation is moderate.

Drinkability is huge. The hops compell me to drink more and more. I like the contrast of the malt and hop on this beer. Might be my #1 session beer.

4.6/5  rDev +9%

Another IPA this time by Stone. Pouring this into my pint glass right now.

Appearance - Clear pale orange 3 fingers of head with some thin lacing.

Smell - Sweet citrus and hops.

Taste - Almost everything I smelt sweet citrus with hops at the end a bit dry on the finish.

Mouthfeel - Clean and smooth can't even tell this is 6.9%.

Drinkability - I'm not even done with it and want another. Just an awesome west coast IPA can't wait to try something else from Stone.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from a 22oz bottle.

This beer pours a pale orange with a frothy white head that holds for a good amount of time amd laces nicely as well. The smell is all piney and cirtrusy hops with some sweetness. Its almost like smelling right into centennial hops. The taste echoes the smell. The hop flavor dominates the taste. Its almost ke drinking hop tea. The mouthfeel is just the right body with a good amount of carbonation. OVerall highly drinkable, a great IPA. I wish I could always have this.

This beer is hop heaven
Pours a hazy golden color with a nice head with laces that remain for awhile.
You can smell the hops, it's not overwhelming for how present they are once you taste it.
Taste is awesome. I love hop-upped beers and this is one of my favorites because its fairly easy to find. To say this bear has great hop characteristics is an understatement. Somehow finishes great- citrus and a bit bitter, but perfect.
The mouthfeel is good, crisp up front, sticky and lingers on the top of the mouth well after your last sip.
So good you'll want more despite the relatively strong taste and higher alcohol. Lovely.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours out a frothy three finger head with excellent head retention. Great thick lacing sticking all around the glass from start to finish. Hazy light orange color with yeast partials floating around the glass.

The aroma is sharp with citrus and pine hops. Biscuit malt, and even a hint of sweet malt.

The first flavors to hit the palate are sharp bitter hops. Hints of grapefruit, orange, pine, and hemp. Biscuit malts pulls through the hop. A touch of yeast with malt sweetness. This is a hop head's IPA but there is a balance.

Medium bodied easy to drink. Finished dry with bitter with hop lingering.

This America IPA is hop head's dream! Classic west coast IPA not for the faint of heart. In your face hops and easy to drink!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours a medium lightly hazy golden color with a thin white head that lasts for a little while before slowly subsiding.

Aroma is very citric with an emphasis on lemon.

Taste reveals a light malty profile and pine notes in the back, but the hops largely give off citrus notes all around. I get lemon from start to finish with some orange and grapefruit to a lesser degree.

Medium bodied with light to medium carbonation. Ruination may be one of my favorite beers, but Stone's regular IPA is so much lighter while still being quite flavorful. It's not as crazy as Ruination but the hop presence is still amazing and I want to drink it all day. One of my all time favorite IPAs.

4.6/5  rDev +9%

Pale golden body with a massive beige head that refused to die due to nice natural carbonation. Aroma is floral, grassy, piney hops with an infusion of yeasty bready malt. The taste is a wonderland of hops with spicy-hot pine resin like quality to the beginning of each sip. Following that first assault by the hops, there are additional waves of grapefruit rinds, black pepper, marigold, and orange blossom. The malt adds a butterscotch like sweetness to the mix, and the yeast adds a grittyness to the mouthfeel. This is one of the absolute great IPAs anywhere. I look forward to the day when I can get this at my local store.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Okay first review...

From a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass (improvizing)

A - like honey but thinner. Not all syrupy. Prior pours ended up with a very thin head so i poured very bold and had about 1.5to 2 fingers worth of head. Disipates after about a minute.

Smell - citrus, a little bit of pine, nice malt to level things out.

Taste - citrus quality hit very strong (in a great way) . Fresh clean. Nice bitternees with the hop but the malt has enough presence to keep it grounded. Like a jumping off point to really enjoy the hop quality w/o dominating your palate too intensely.

M - malt gives you a little something to sink your teeth into. A bit chewy (if i can borrow the term). Crisp and smooth with a little depth to hold on to

O - this after having some New Belgium Snow Day. I like to 'taste' after having something with a big contrast since i puts a focal point on those differences kn my palate. The citrus was very bright in the transition and the Bitter wasnt overwhelming. Great crisp full beer. Still learning to appreciate IPA's buti love this

4.61/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Beautiful head, pours golden/orange hue. Lacing is very nice & carbonation appears very lively. She looks like she's ready to go!

S: Hops, floral, also getting something sweet (maybe honey?). All in all, a nice smelling brew.

T: Wow, this is one fine tasting brew. Very smooth yet complex on the tongue. As expected, hops dominate (a good thing!!), but with some sweet tastes. A sweet grapefruit would be a good way to describe the overall taste.

M: Perfectly carbonated, very smooth; warm but no overpowering alcohol feel. Perfect on the palate.

D: This is a no-brainer drink anytime brew from the guys @ Stone. Not as many complex flavors as say Ruination, but at 1/2 the price, I'm on my way to get more!!

4.61/5  rDev +9.2%

as usual stone goes 'big' with this beer, but does a great job of not getting obnoxious.

appearance - light copper. thin head that lasted throughout. visible active carbonation.

smell - pine/herbal

taste - hops of course...bitter with a medim body

mouthfeel - sharp, bitter with a lingering aftertaste.

drinkablity - yes. perfect big IPA.

Another great job by Stone, highly recommended... if you were trapped on a deserted island... and could only have one IPA... this might just be it.

4.61/5  rDev +9.2%

This is one of my standards by which I judge other IPA's

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a .5 L cylinder.

Beautiful heavy glass bottle silkscreened with alternating caps. These guys care.

Appearance: Golden, thick retentive head with lacing all around. Thick. Low carbonation.

Smell: Aromatic, BIg, Hop dominant, Fruit, Dry, Earthy. Say you were being revived, you'd like to breathe this.

Taste: Intense hops, both flavour and bitterness. A really wonderful flavor arc. starting sweet & fruity and clean bitter finish. This see-saw, and the tingle you feel with IPA is the big draw and Stone does it big without being heavy handed. (a good kisser)

Notes: For IPA freaks like me this beer is nirvana and has to be one of the best American IPAs. 6.9% abv.

4.61/5  rDev +9.2%

Nothing special to look at. But upon my first sip, I proclaimed this the smoothest-tasting IPA in the universe. Layers-upon-layers of citrusy hops, with none of the lingering bitterness of some of my other favorite IPA's. Oh, this is a good one. The good folks at Stone Brewing never disappoint me...

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%

This beer poured gracefully into a Stone IPA tulip glass. Gear froamy head that lasted for quite a while with nice lacing.

Smells of.... HOPS!! Wonderfully fruity wihn hints of citrus. also sweet pine.

Tastes nice and bitter but very well balenced with citrus and malt, leaves a twinge of hop bitterness at it leaves the back of your tounge. A real treat from sip to sip.

Nice light mouthfeel with the finish of a big beer, it coats the tongue.

I could drink a couple bombers easy or tackle the whole six pack if I was so inclined. This would make a great session beer on it's own or paired with the less hoppy Stone Pale Ale, yet is great as a stand alone beer when you just want to sit back relax and have a beer that's truely special.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Orange copper colour with a white head that leaves a nice-looking lacing. The smell is truly something to behold. All kinds of fruits and flowers come together to form a bouquet of brilliance that is hard to describe using only the words in our English language. Suffice it to say that the smell is so powerful that I almost feel as if drinking it would be an affront to my nose. The taste, while by no means as affront, simply doesn't live up to to the nose. That, however will be the only negative thing you will hear me say about this. It tastes wonderful, with a hops taste, and a malt finish that creates a wonderful balance, while still maintaining the bite and bitterness that a good IPA should have. Feels wonderful, with a great body, and I could drink this all day. A great product that I'll be glad to have another of.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Looks like a bottling code but no dating info lasered on towards the bottom of the front of the bottle. It was a hazy honey color with some carb streams and really great lacing. It had an average sized light beige head that slowly settled to a constant foam and thick collar.

The aroma was outstanding - a hop lovers aroma. Citric hops, pine resin with a sweet malt base. Really loved this one. The taste was also outstanding. Starts off with a good amount of hops and then does a slight build to a good but not overpowering hop bite and bitter finish. This has a ton of hops but one of the few that I could have more than one of at a sitting and not regret the tongue shredding. Great mouthfeel.

Overall, this is an exceptional beer and one of the best AIPA's out there. Stone comes through again and again. Highly recommend. Been a few years since I've had this but glad I tried it again. Will now be part of the regular hops rotation.

[RR-hops]

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to jhammerly for providing this much anticipated offering.
Poured into an Imperial Pint glass. Pours a nice copper color with a 1/2" sticky white head. Sticky white lace lines the sides of the glass. Classic IPA look.
Smell: Wonderful floral hop aroma. Smells better than a new spring garden.
Taste: The hops hit you up front and they hit you hard! Piny and grassy hops with a mild sweet malt and alcohol finish to kind of clean the palate for another gulp. Delicious!
Mouthfeel: Sticky oily hop mouthfeel.
Drinkability depends on how much you like the hop bitterness. If you are not a hop head then this would be a sipping beer. But to hopheads this is a gulping beer.
Overall a highly recommended IPA that is the standard for the style.

4.62/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Pours a transparent light color gold that creates a nice big, fluffy head that retains pretty damn well and leaves sheets of lacing along the pint glass.

S: Big hop profile, big malt profile! The hops are very aromatic and a lot more pleasant than I thought. They are perfectly balanced by a nice and sweet malt profile that really kicks this thing to the next level. Aside from the hops and malts, I pick up A LOT of honey.

T: Very similar to the nose. The hops are dominant, and more bittering than the nose would suggest. Malts balance perfectly. Honey is still very present, and a slight alcohol twang. Very floral, aromatic, sweet, and citrusy. I would give taste a 5 if only the alcohol was a little more discrete.

MF/D: Very smooth carbonation (perfect), medium in body, gives you that sticky mouthfeel effect, long honey/fresh hop finish!

Overall, definitely one of my favorite IPA's, and I really cannot say enough about Stone as a brewery...never a shortage of amazement

Stone Brewing India Pale Ale

Served at 53 degrees Fahrenheit.

Appearance: Golden, small head with good lacing.

Smell: Citrus fruits and hops with some flowers.

Taste: Floral hops, warm malts, flowers, and citrus fruits.

Mouthfeel: Medium.

Overall:
This is a really good IPA. I like it better than Sierra Nevada personally. It has this large bouquet that lingers.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.