1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Ratings: 7,440 | Reviews: 2,704 | Show All Ratings:
jlervine

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Wow. Honey colored, thick creamy white, effervescent bubbling. Smell? Wow. Sweet malt hidden beneath a comfortable thick blanket of hops. The taste is malty with a nice heavy hop finish. Mouthfeel is sweet but not cloying, and pleasantly hoppy without being bitter. Very drinkable, very enjoyable.

07-22-2003 01:03:00 | More by jlervine
FormatKid

Tennessee

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

I purchased a 22oz bomber of this from Ziggy’s in Chattanooga. I have to make a pretty decent trip to get anything over 6.0% abv but it’s usually well worth it.

This pours out a very lightly murky, pale yellow/orange. A beautiful bubbly head rolls up 2 ½ fingers high. Small zippy carbonation bubbles rise rapidly to the top. Lacing forms in rings and clings beautifully. Appearance is well in order for the style.

As soon as the bottle is opened the odors rush out and roughly massage and entice my sense of smell. God, I love the way this beer smells. Like standing in the middle of an orange orchid or something. A sweet malty smell is detectable in the background but those fresh, delicious smelling hop fragrances take center stage.

This beer absolutely makes my mouth water. Just enough sweet malt background here to keep this from tasting overly-hopped. Taste is astringent as it plays across the front of my tongue, then a mild sweetness glides over but is put in a choke hold by the diversity of hop flavors I detect. Apricot notes/strong citrusy fruity notes as well as juicy pine and floral flavors dance over my tastebuds. Aftertaste is dominantly citrus. Mouthfeel is refreshing and dry without being a cotton-mouth choker. No alcohol taste is present to me at all.

This is one of my favorite beers, definitely the best non-imperial IPA I’ve tasted to date. To be honest with you I like this one just about as much as Ruination depending on what I’m in the mood for. This one being a little more balanced and aggressively hopped yet still sessionable without destroying my taste buds or dehydrating my tongue. If I was rating strictly on enthusiasm Stone IPA would get straight 5’s.

04-03-2004 04:53:36 | More by FormatKid
cncbofh

Colorado

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours with a nice head which quickly fell away. The color was a golden straw - reminded me of my younger days helping my uncle pitch hay in the fall.

The smell was unbelievably good - strong floral and citrus, cloves and grapefruit... a slight earthy sour smell that I just couldn't place, but it didn't distract.

The taste didn't knock me over with hops - but I literally shivered with goose bumps at the fantastic flavor. This is a well balanced IPA - a decent combo of bitterness from the hops, and a mix of citrus and floral tastes. Orange peels, lemon zest, grapefruit and the perfect amount of hops. The malt base is enough to keep everything together.

Excellent IPA.

11-12-2004 04:31:58 | More by cncbofh
ghostwalker

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Mostly clear gold/amber pour. Very little head, (poured from a 12 oz bottle into an Ommegang chalice).

Nice hop nose that let's you know you are in for a treat. Aggressive, but not unwelcome.

Hop fiesta flavor! Nice grapefruity burst, sharp piney flavor also present. Definitely for hop lovers. I can't remember when I have had a better IPA. Probably never.

Sharp, crisp mouthfeel. It begs you to take another sip.

Drinkability is tops! 7% ABV and it goes down insanely easy. I could drink these almost exclusively with no complaints. Certainly will be one of my new session favorites, when I can afford it ($37 a case, $10 a sixer around here).

My love affair with Stone beer continues, too bad they are located all the way across the country. Luckily most of their line is available here in MA.

09-25-2005 19:46:42 | More by ghostwalker
sinistrsam

Maryland

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

I had had this brew before and loved it to death, but I had never reviewed it. I tried my best this time to give it an objective review.
It poured a very clean and clear amber color with a foamy white head, disspapting quickly. It smelled wonderfully, with hops obviously leading the way to some malt and sweet/sour tones. It wasn't overpowering, and gave a perfect insight to the taste.
It had an incredible, yes incredible sweet hoppy taste which I could see being a little too much for the non-IPA lovers. The main thing I took away from this was the balance which was exquisite. It was sweet yet somewhat biting and bitter at the end. The alcohol wasn't even noticed. It was refreshing and crisp. I really can't think of a better IPA for your money.

12-02-2005 19:58:01 | More by sinistrsam
JasonCoop

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

heard a lot about this one, time to give it a whirl.

pours a light slightly cloudy yellow straw/orange color with big white head. not as dark as i expected. looks pretty good. lace cakes the entire glass.

smells like pungeant and spicy hops. very aromatic. one of the strongest smelling beers i've had, smells excellent for a hop fiend like myself.

taste is interesting and complex. spicy punchy hops beat the crap out of your tongue first. nice piney/earthy hops. slightly grassy. mild and odd(but delicious) fruit somewhere behind those hops. finishes nice and dry with strong yeasty/spicy flavor. wow. this is one hell of an intense IPA.
mouthfeel is about perfect. almost creamy and extremely smooth. nice dry hoppy finish keeps the drinkability high also. what a big beer, a must for hop fiends!
by the way- like this? try Great Divide's Hercules Double IPA.

04-01-2006 05:16:34 | More by JasonCoop
funkmaster229

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Irecently re-discovered this beer and was reminded, as I took my first sniff in awhile, why this is my standard for american ipa. With fresh bottles easily accessable and exceedingly more bars carrying stone products on draft there's no excuse for any to miss out on this one.

color: straw to gold with a peachy hue. tight, white head.

aroma: slightly sweet initially, but immediately slapped me with fresh hoppy funk and a little estery zest.(chinook? galena?) In the back I find mixed nut and old hop/cheese notes.

taste: exploding with fresh and seperate malt and hop flavors. beautifully balanced in the mouth and at the finish leaving a brand of that hop profile seared into the brain for days. I love the fact that I'm intrigued, but not overwhelmed with complexity. One with a more tuned pallate could peel away at this one for a while, but you still can't help needing to just drink the damn thing.

In THIS style, I find myself hard-pressed to find a better beer.
I think I'm going to need some cashews and stilton cheese with this one next time.

04-18-2006 17:26:24 | More by funkmaster229
trep

West Virginia

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Orange and crystal clear below a creamy white head. Leaves a good bit of lace as it fades.

Aroma is solid, fruity hop juices and floral aromas. A little bit of a wheatiness to it and no, i'm not talking the breakfast of champions...although this might qualify.

Smooth and sweet wheatiness initially that melds with sweet juicy hops to form an awesomeness that melds so nicely I can't even put it into words. Incredibly balanced.

Not too oily and not too full. Appropriate carbonation and body. Medium-Full, closer to medium. Such a tastey brew that I could drink day in and day out. The last time I had this was when I first turned 21 and now I can really appreciate all of the flavors and aromas that this one brings with it. Truely a world class IPA in a world that is dominated by over-the-topness.

06-06-2006 05:00:13 | More by trep
funkengruven

Ontario (Canada)

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

This poured a slightly cloudy orange with a finger thick head, lots of lacing. Smell is a hop bomb, a little piney with a touch of grapefruit. The grapefruit is prevelant in the taste, with a slight malty hint in the aftertaste, very tasty. Strangely this brew is actually refreshing and enjoyable to drink which is unusual for heavily hopped brews.

I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, and will get more on my next trip south.

10-03-2007 18:51:00 | More by funkengruven
1PA

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

The nose on this beer makes my mouth water.

Well rounded with a nice finish. They balanced the bitterness very well. Even though is well balanced, it is still a bit heavy so 1-2 is enough for the night, but its all about quality, not quantity. I strive to one day brew 1/2 as good beer as this.

I hope they brew this in heaven.

02-17-2008 22:29:21 | More by 1PA
calebmills

West Virginia

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Alright ill get straight to the point. I love this beer! Im already a fan of hoppy ales/lagers especially IPAs and this is by far one of the best out there in my opinion. Pours that classis IPA orange color. Smells of wonderful hops. The taste is great you have the classic crisp hoppy flavor and its not overwhelmed by the alcohol. I could enjoy this one year round for sure. When i compare it to the ruination IPA from stone i like this one better suprisingly because of the lower alcohol that doesnt take away taste from all the hops. But if your looking for a little extra buzz go with the Ruination. You wont go wrong either way trust me. Oh and this ones a little bit cheaper as far as i know. Once again props to stone. without them and other micro's we would be stuck in piss water hell with bud,coors, and miller

03-01-2008 00:43:23 | More by calebmills
Cunningham26

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

A- great, pours with that thin, fluffy head and left delicate lacing. color was an amazing amber with a perfect amount of haze.
S- like fresh hops, really great.
T- wonderful! Most IPAs hit that one "oh, hops!" and is otherwise not that great. but this one had a great rounded hop flavor like a taste experience within the overall beer tasting experience.
m- great, with the maltiness coming up after the hops and filling the mouth. doesn't leave any stickiness on the tongue either, just washes down extraordinarily well.
D- really good if you're a hophead. i like to keep things in balance, so i doubt i could session this all night (and i'd end up on the lawn) but it's so good I'm sure people do all the time.

12-29-2008 03:03:46 | More by Cunningham26
Brewnami

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Hands down my favorite IPA right now. Very clean, sweet, and hoppy. Nice citrus and hop aroma. Cloudy light amber color, almost looks like a hefeweizen. Moderate carbonation. I cant express in words how much I love this beer. If you don't like this IPA, buy a six pack of Smirnoff Ice and rent The Notebook.

01-16-2009 03:13:53 | More by Brewnami
cheapxceptbeer

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Thank goodness for the publick house, finally you can buy a great single beer without some jerk doubling the price on you, or the beer being 2 years old

A- Very pale colored, this beer starts off with a decent head which eventually vanishes, holds its lacing nicely, pleasant appearance but not the best quality of this brew
S- It smells like a forest of hops, I can't explain it is the smell of a stone beer, ruination has that same smell, only stronger of course

T- Just citrusy hops that overtake the tastebuds, so good, not excessively bitter which makes it easier to drink, good balancing act by the malt but that is all, so fresh and delicious I ended up drinking this too fast

F- Slightly seltzery mouthfeel with a crisp carbonation finish, medium body, good for the style.

D- With its crisp finish, delicious taste, and a not too heavy feel I could easily have a few of these, but not worth having more than 3 as the delicious taste will be for not after you have burned your taste buds

03-17-2009 21:09:06 | More by cheapxceptbeer
bum732

Maryland

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours an orangish yellow, nice creamy head that leaves great lacing. Smells of very floral hops, grapefruit, citrus, pansies, orange, cannabis. Tastes of hoppy moderately sweet malt with a nice citrusy bitterness. Same aromas picked up in the taste, not too much malt. Finishes dry with a resiny hoppiness in the back of the throat.

An absolute amazing beer, so many aromas and flavors from the hops. Just enough malt character to somewhat balance the beer, but overall, hops galore. Definitely my favorite IPA.

06-13-2009 23:44:16 | More by bum732
ZorPrime

Quebec (Canada)

Tasted on June 15, 2009.

Omg... this is one of the best beer I drank. So nicely done.

A: Simply beautiful. A copper color with a tiny head. I bigger head would be great.
S: Strong aroma of hops which make you think the taste will be a bomb of hops.
T: Bitterness... I would say hops bitterness. The most surprising it was a medium intensity taste. The hops are piny with some citrus. Very nice tasting.
D:Very easy to drink.

Again, Stone has achieved almost perfection with this beer. One of my top 5 beers.

06-17-2009 01:04:49 | More by ZorPrime
timrosenblatt

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

The pine and grapefruit is apparent in the flavor. Smells very hoppy. The head looks soft and pillowy, like a really comfortable mattress, like I could sleep on it. A hoppy cloud. Super clear beer. The taste sticks around in my mouth, which is a good thing.

11-30-2009 02:31:43 | More by timrosenblatt
samie85

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Reviewed from notes. Originally consumed 12/23.

A- Pours an light orange color with a white two finger head.

S-Fresh citrus and pine notes dominate here with a hint of caramel malt.

T-Follows the nose with citrus and pine bitterness with a caramel malt base that balances things a little.

M-Really creamy and smooth for an IPA. Medium boded with moderate carbonation.

D-This is one easy drinking IPA. It's easily one of my favorites and I hope Stone makes it to Chicago soon so I can regularly enjoy this fine beer.

12-30-2009 17:10:53 | More by samie85
capps24

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Stone IPA how can you go wrong. You can smell the hops in this one, and its got great character to back it up. I am a hop head, and was very satisfied after having my first Stone IPA years ago, and after having one tonight, had to rate it.

If you like IPA's this is a no brainer! Great appearance, not too carbonated, and will simply blow you away.

01-02-2010 02:04:30 | More by capps24
Shuffledaddy

Arizona

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

One fateful night I had this beer at Yard House. From the moment I saw it, with its golden color and ample head, it seemed like a special brew. I took a whiff, and noticed scents of pine, pineapple, and grapefruit. Upon tasting, I discovered a beautiful hop bouquet colored with shades of pineapple, lemon, grapefruit, pine nuts, and peach. The hop bitterness was quite pleasant and intense without becoming acerbic, as many IPAs do. The mouthfeel was creamy and smooth, even syrupy but not too much so. As far as drinkability, I felt like I could pound a few more, but I had to drive :). I let my friend have a taste, and he thought it was very good even though he doesn't care for IPAs.

Overall, I'd say this is the gold standard in American IPAs. Hoppy as hell, but in the nicest way possible. A must have for all the hopheads out there.

07-06-2010 07:49:35 | More by Shuffledaddy
happy4hoppybeer

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

I love west coast beer, especially the IPAs, so forgive me if this comes across as biased. Had this before,back in my native home state of CA, this is my first reviewing it here.

A=Light-orange, with surprisingly little head, leaving faint lacing. Not very good in appearance character for an IPA, but don't be fooled.

S&T=Nice power of hops coming at you, but not overdone, perfectly balanced with a solid malt backbone. MMMM MMMm!!!! Very Tasty.

B=Solid medium body, with good carbonation that doesn't distract from the good flavors here.

Another outstanding IPA, a good solid example of the West Coast IPAs. I miss my home state so much. Will be getting again, when I can find it here.

01-08-2011 16:45:18 | More by happy4hoppybeer
rll52485

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

Tried Ruination yesterday, and now I'm trying the Stone IPA.

A - Just as nice looking golden body with a foamy white head. Dissipates quicker than expected though.

S - A beautiful blend of fruitiness and hops. Neither really overpowers the other and they blend wonderfully together.

T - A very nice citrus start with a piney but mild bitterness. Very pleasant.

M - Crisp, refreshing, lightly carbonated. I like it!

D - Very very drinkable. Stone makes very good IPAs.

01-16-2011 21:27:31 | More by rll52485
BizzyQU

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%

A-Nice light amber color mostly clear from the tap
S-Fruity Aroma
T-Like many Stone beers great grapefruit flavor comes through.
M-Smooth with a nice tang and good carbonation
D- one of the most drinkable stones, great to have with a meal.

One of my go to beers, highly recomended.

01-22-2011 00:05:57 | More by BizzyQU
nUgZ

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden color with a one finger head and excellent lacing.

S: Tons of citrus and floral hops dominate the aroma. Superb!!

T: Piney hops with some grassy flavors rounding it out. There are some sweet bready malts in there as well. Nice and bitter.

M: Medium bodied with good carbonation. Very smooth.

O: Well done Stone!! Another winner from an amazing brewery.

02-01-2013 00:16:42 | More by nUgZ
HopHedd

4.8/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A show-all trend setter for pure India Pale Ale amongst the ranks. This foundation of a brew should be mocked and chased after by all breweries. Light flavor with rich-heavy after taste, smooth and golden color, hop notes are balanced, not the focal point of the beer. Overall well-slated IPA.

Serving type: growler

03-02-2014 01:39:32 | More by HopHedd
Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.