Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)Stone IPA (India Pale Ale)

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: kbub6f on 01-25-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,850 | Hads: 10,079
4.64/5  rDev +9.4%

This is my first time venturing into the Stone brew experience.

Picked up a 12 oz. bottle and decanted into my standard pint glass.

Appearance: Cloudy yellow/orange. Lookin' good.

Smell: Amazing. I can almost taste that hoppy goodness.

Taste: Wow, that's good. Not what I was expecting. This beer has a great hop character without being as harsh as most IPA's I've tried. This brew comes in all smooth malt and quickly gives over to a wonderful piney middle and a kick-ass centralized bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, nice carbonation.

Drinkability: Why the hell did I only buy one bottle of this. I'll be right back.

Conclusion: Less typing, more Stone IPA. (687 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance: Clear amber with red hews. The head pours off white. A modest size head forms of large bubbles. There is also a modest amount of carbonation rising through the glass. The head retention is ok...forms a somewhat thick collar that sticks to the glass just enough to remind you its there.

Smell: Sweet, oily smelling hops. A fruity grape and pine needle smell. Smells great.

Taste: Fairly bitter, but not way over the top like I expected from the bottle description. It is well balanced with the sweet malts, playing with the palate quite well. The hops leave a great taste in your throat. Aside from that there is again the fruity flavors which reminds me of grapes and something I can't place. Sweet and well balanced.

Mouthfeel: medium to full body. Slightly astringent, but not much. Dry and crisp a good feel.

Drinkability: not so overly hopped that it is undrinkable. This is very tasty and refreshing as long as you like bitter. MMM...can't wait till its sold in my state. (1,000 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

Look: There's a slight haze in the copper, straw colored beer with a pretty huge slightly off white head. The head leaves behind great lacing and retains very well.

Smell: One of the best smelling IPAs I've had. There's a huge floral hop character in the smell with some hints of citrus and grassiness. There's a little sweetness in there but its pretty much all hops all the time. Incredible.

Taste: Follows the nose very well. There's some toasted malt in there but its mostly the floral hops and the citrus hops in the taste. There's some pine taste towards the end of the taste. I'm surprised to see that its 6.9% alcohol because the taste doesn't give this impression at all.

Feel: this is medium bodied tending towards light. There isn't that much carbonation but just enough. Again, you don't taste the alcohol at all considering that its just shy of 7% ABV.

Drink: very drinkable. I got to the bottom of my glass a little quickly. Its just too delicious and its not something you have to sip. I could easily see drinking this as a session beer, even with the 6.9% ABV.

Overall, one of my new favorite IPAs. This along with Smuttynose's IPA are going to be my go tos for the style. I'm surprised I took so long to try this out given that Ruination IPA is one of my favorites. Definitely do yourself a service and give this beer a try! (1,382 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%

The taste is hop-tastic. Noticeable hops are well balanced between bittering and flavoring. The bittering provide more of a grapefruit taste and the flavoring is a bit citrus with some pine aftertaste. Nice to note that there isn't an oily aftertaste. The malt is noticeable as well. Especially after your mouth adjusts to the hop taste. A good caramel flavor with a touch of biscuity taste. As the beer warms other fruity taste become noticeable as well. Some lemon and grapefruit. Also a touch of orange as well. Overall a fantastic flavor.

Just to note again there is no oily aftertaste, which is nice. A medium body and well balanced in the hops. Also good representation with the body.

This is much easier to drink then say Ruination. This is a great beer. (764 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%

A - Pours nicely into a glass that showcases the thick, white head and amber color. Head retention is excellent with some cracking visible after a while. Good lacing.

S - I could basque in the beautiful scent of this beer for eternity. The floral, fruity, piney hop nose tantalizes me. This is God's perfume. Clearly some high quality hoppage.

T - Such an introduction is hard to follow. The hoppy bitterness kicks like nobody's business and is shortly followed by the dry hop and malt flavors promised by the aroma and a noticeable alcohol warmth. The taste is best described as a whirlwind fugue of fruit and ester and pine and floral with a slight malt undertone. Every sip is excellent and the flavors further open up as the beer warms.

M - Slick, thick, carbonated to perfection. This feels right, somehow.

You ever try a beer and then dream about it and crave it? That is this beer for me right now. It has opened my eyes to the beauty of hoppy character. Well-balanced and totally worth a try. (1,004 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +9.4%

This IPA is a hazy light amber with a fluffy and elastic white head that has great retention. The aroma is hoppy! It is tangerine peel with spruce. It is almost creamy on the tongue. The carbonation is appropriate and it leaves the mouth cleanly. The flavor is dominated by tangerine peel. Bold and bitter! Yes!
(rated Mar 28, 2007) (332 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Lately I've been such a hop whore. I crave them all day, I'm a fucking fiend. So to be certain, I drink this shit all the time.

The copper color has a nice frothy head (yeah, I pour this shit right!). The hop character is full - some floral, some citrus. It packs a nice bitter punch - initially it's all hops but complex maltiness finishes with some sweetness. A loverly beer.

I know "session" beers usually refer beers under 5% ABV. I could session this beer all day and all night. (489 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Had on tap at Lucky Baldwin's Delirium Cafe. As common as this beer is in So. Cal I've only had it a couple times in the last 2 or 3 years since in my first couple experiences with it I just found it too "grassy" of an IPA. Well I don't know what has changed- my palate, or their recipe but this was a fantastic IPA. It had a bit of citrus in it which I never noticed before plus a load of pine. I will definitely be ordering this as one of my regular beers from now on. (470 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours light amber in color clear with no haze. Smell pinny zesty and a bit of a floral hop aroma. Taste is exceptional a touch of sweetness with a nice grapfruit, pinny, bitter hop finish. Mouthfeel medium in body carbonation was modarate. Drinkability I could have more than one this could be a new favorite IPA. (313 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Presentation: 22 oz bottle

Appearance: Golden. Like a real beer should.

Smell: astringent clean hops.

Taste: I think they put some hops in here. Bitter but not too bitter. Nice edge, makes me remember why I like beer.

Overall: Nice worthwhile beer. Good to share with a buddy and talk beer. As much as I try to find other alternatives other than Stone, I always come back here. Wanna feel like a real man? Drink Stone IPA.

Good stuff! (439 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pint pour: Fairly clear, healthy golden color with done visible carbonation and a fair white head.
Aroma, I pick it up from afar here. Terrific hop scent of pine and dank grapefruit. Some malt lurks beneath that as well.
This is a citrus delight of a west coast ipa. I'm surprised I haven't tried it in a long while after only tasting it once prior. Now that I've sampled over a hundred varieties of ipa, I can revisit this here and appreciate the standard. Sweet and sticky grapefruit and pine resin is the impression, and the hops shine like the golden sun. Bitter big time, yet not ending as dry as many would. Creamy medium feel.
Smooth drinking for all this is, which is a perfect example of a beer for those who enjoy hops without much else getting in the way. Not overly complex. Highly drinkable. Grade A stuff. (822 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

This is my go-to beer. I want some in my fridge at all times. Even though this is a Stone, the hops are not overwhelming. The malt present makes the beer smooth and not as bitter as other Stone beers.

Poured into a glass the color is beautiful deep orange... but who cares, straight from the bottle this beer will not disappoint.

The aroma lets you know that there is a good deal of hops with citrus and a little of pine.

This beer does not coat your mouth too much, so that after a drink there is a crisp, refreshing finish.

Although the ABV is not as high and the hops are not as strong as some of my favorite IPAs and double IPAs, if I had to choose one beer to drink for the rest of my life, it'd be Stone IPA. (718 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is a top tier IPA along with 90 minute and Racer 5 to name a couple. A perfectly crafted IPA that doesn't try too hard nor does it cut corners. What I love about this IPA is that it is incredibly accessible and relatively well priced, all things considering. In any case, worth every penny. (295 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Pretty golden-orange color, like that of a sungold tomato. Pours a pure white head that breaks quickly. Pretty apparent aromas of mango and citrus with an almost vinous lingering aroma. Actually, smells not entirely unlike a funkier white burgundy. Maybe one with some age on it or from a particularly ripe year.

Taste-wise, it is pleasant if not remarkable. Mind you, I don't mean that in a bad way, rather that it tastes like it should. Nor particularly boozy or aggressively bitter. Just balanced and pleasant. Odd that should come off as a nearly back-handed compliment, but it does prevent it from getting a perfect 5 in that category. Nice, crisp finish though with hints of tangerine.

Really fine texture and outstanding drinkability.

All in all, certainly a benchmark. Enough exotic aromas to make it stand out and everything else certainly does it's part. A fine brew indeed. (887 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

a: a is for awesome, pours a slightly cloudy straw color with a big two finger thick dish soap like head that lasts forever.

s: s is for superb. tons of citrus hops, when you get this fresh there is nothing like it.

t: t is for tasty. lots of citrus grapefruit flavor.

m: m is for more, as in i need more! smooth yet filling with a slightly bitter dry finish.

o: is for obsess. because i cant wait to go get more. (418 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

my second time trying this here we go

Appearance- Golden yellow brew with thick white foamy head,light carbonation with very small bubbles running up the glass

Smell-- Citrus smelling hops, very hoppy but with def fruit notes

Taste- A deliciously hoppy beer, light and easily drinkable, each sip leaves you wanting more

Mouth- Soft light bodied in the mouth, easy going down

Drinkability- extraordinary, a great beer that is an amazing session to me even though decently high alc level, a golden example of the ipa, great beer i will always be having time to time (568 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance: Clear medium amber colour topped by a white lacing of head from the pour. Excellent retention. Foam seemed happy to stick to the sides of the glass all the way to the finish.

Smell: Light malty sweet aroma with some biscuit and a little doughy. Lots of hops happening, with orange citrus, grapefruit, spice and some herbal/perfumy character.

Taste: Hops. Orange and grapefruit citrus, slightly resinous, assertive bitterness all the way through. Malt is present (biscuity and caramel sweetness), but takes a back seat. Piney at the finish. Brilliant.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation with some crispness to start, but becomes very smooth part way through. Some alcohol warming at the finish.

Drinkability: This stuff is great. Lots of flavour, nice balance (I guess you could say it's on the hoppy side), and exceptional finish. This is what I've always imagined an American IPA should be.

22 oz. brown bomber with no apparent best before date. (977 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Appeared very dark amber in the pint glass with minimal head.

It smelled strongly of hops even far from the glass.

It felt medium-bodied in the mouth and tasted very hoppy, not too heavy with little bite.

It was a very drinkable and great tasting beer. (255 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

pours a clear amber gold with a moderate size fluffy white head and excellent lacing.

really excellent smell, pineapple and apricot hops. and a light but sweet maltiness.

taste is the same with a nice bitter finish.

mouthfeel is slightly creamy and a little bubbly. a light biting sensation in the end.

very balanced in the body and not so complex i couldn't handle it, really good.

really excellent beer. (410 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Stone IPA is a real looker. Gauzy medium amber with a large, eggshell colored, slightly lumpy head that has good retention and leaves copious rings and sheets of lace.

This is the most amazingly fragrant beer that I've ever smelled; it hit with both barrels as soon as I popped the cap. Its room-filling bouquet even elicited a comment from my wife. The nose is abundantly citrusy, with grapefruit zest leading the charge. So this is what hops smell like!

The flavor is out of this world. Is this what people mean by a 'wow' beer? Grapefruit, lemon and pine, with a tantalizing hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is ultra-smooth and is full and rich without being heavy. Drinkability is superb. Oh how I wish that I had easier access to this amazing IPA.

It was with some trepidation that I popped the cap on this bomber of Stone IPA today. I've been reading on this site about how it's an incredibly hoppy, bitter beer and that beginners (namely me) should tread carefully, perhaps starting with more gentle, less hoppy styles. I think of bitterness as something unpleasant. Well if this is bitterness, give me all you've got.

Far from being unpleasant, this is the best beer of any style that I've had yet. I struggled with whether to assign such high scores since there aren't too many craft beers under my belt at this stage of the game. In the end, though, I have to go with what I feel. I can't imagine that anyone brews a better IPA, or that there are many other beers (of any style) that are better than this. And so.... a hophead is born.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I'm not going to re-review, but I am going to re-score now that I have quite a bit of IPA experience to reference. The taste score--I really hate to do this--falls to 4.5. (5/21/04) (1,812 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

Great beer! This is the epitome of an IPA, in my opinion.

Drank this at Holy Smoke BBQ in Mahopac, NY. Bartender knows how to pour em, too.

To be honest, was a little surprised by the alc. content and I felt it halfway through the beer.

Very happy and will certainly look for this bottled in my local beer store. (315 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

All I can say is, wow. Another amazing beer by Stone. I've only had Arrogant Bastard, Oaked Arrogant Bastard (holy shit), and Double Bastard.

Appearance: 1.5 Finger thick off white head, VERY appealing looking cloudy ipa, dark orange

Aroma: One of the best smelling beers i've encountered, only 2nd to Hopslam by Bells. You can instantly smell the west coast piney ipa signature smell, very citrusy and smells of ripe grapefruit.

Taste: Huge citrus and grapefruit notes, very simcoe oriented, lots of floral and tropical fruity notes... Malt backbone is very sweet and balanced. One of the fruitiest IPAs i've ever had. Very well balanced, probably the most for an IPA i've ever had, so refreshing and smooth on the backend, I could session this all day.

Overall: One of my favorite IPAs, this is what I think all west coast IPAs should measure up to. The aroma and taste are out of this world and I will be buying this over and over again. I may be in the extreme minority, but I prefer this over a Ruination. Which is kind of odd considering I love DIPAs typically a little bit more, and I still love Ruination, but this just blows every other single IPA out of the water. This is one of the beers that converted me full time to craft beer. Perfect on every level. (1,270 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +9.9%

22oz bomber

As soon as I hear the initial hiss from the bottlecap I'm enjoying more pleasant hop aroma than I thought could ever be possible. Wow. If I could give this beer a 6 for aroma, I would. It pours a pale, golden color - not as pale as a macro by any means or as filtered though. The taste of this beer matches the aroma with overwhelming citrusy, piney hop flavors. Stone must have thrown an absurd amount of northwest hops in this brew. There's an unusual amount of sweetness, but for an IPA, that's still not much sweetness. The only thing that keeps me from giving a 5 in taste is the bitterness. I wish this beer could be more bitter, but that's just because I'm an over-the-edge hophead. Perfectly drinkable as a session brew, but watch out! (758 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured from 22 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Golden orange with a nice white head with decent retention.

Smell: Lots of citrus fruit and flowery hop aroma.

Taste: Nice hop bitterness with hints of citrus, orange, and lemon. Some light malt.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation.

Overall: A phenomenal IPA. (324 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +10.1%

poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

This is the beer geeks IPA. It's a hop punch combination to the face, with jabs of sweet and grass followed by a haymaker of bitterness. A slightly reddish hazy beer with medium, full body and pleasant carbonation. For me it's hard to really make out any of the malt characteristic as the hops are such an affront to my taste buds, but there is some sweetness from the malt and it clearly makes up the body of the brew.

I can drink a couple of these in a session, but then it just ruins my palette for any beer that doesn't pack the same wallop as this. (601 characters)

Stone IPA (India Pale Ale) from Stone Brewing Co.